[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 2 KB, 220x52, smas-smb3_mario.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
932143 No.932143 [Reply] [Original]

NES originals? Or Super Mario All Stars?
Which do you prefer to play?

Personally, I stick to the NES carts.

>> No.932150

The SNES version is better in every way.

>> No.932154

Physics on the NES version were much better

>> No.932153

SNES version has:
>Better Graphics
>Better Sound
>Better Physics

NES version has:
>More Nostalgia

>> No.932159

I prefer the graphics on the SNES versions and they also don't suffer from slowdowns due to the CPU being stressed. SMB1 in All Stars has different physics so that's the only one that is really preferable on the NES.

>> No.932163

Originals, All-Stars jump physics are fucked up

>> No.932167

afaik the only physics that are actually different is mario not bouncing down immediately after hitting a block and who actually cares about that

>> No.932169

originals all the way, and i'm not a hipster either.
that said, i play the gba versions of 3 and world thanks to all the extras.

>> No.932172

I started with Allstars, so I'm gonna stick with that.
Is what I would say if the cartridge didn't fucking disappear on me.

>> No.932183
File: 98 KB, 413x232, bugssmokesnugs.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

SNES version is better for Super Mario Bros. 3, and Super Mario Bros. 2.

Super Mario Bros 1 and Super Mario Bros. The Lost Levels have wonky physics compared to the originals. So, yeah.

>> No.932184

>>932167
Not to mention there is a patch to fix that, all that really happened there is that nintendo used the wrong sign for the number.

>> No.932185

Original by far. Everything (graphics, musics, physics) feels off in All Stars.

For SMB1 especially I play the PAL NES version because it's 10% faster than the NTSC versions and that makes it much more fun.

>> No.932186

For the first game I'd say original. Has nothing to do with nostalgia. I honestly like it's graphics more.

>> No.932212

The only "All Stars" game I really like is Super Mario Brothers 2/USA. They did a tremendous job with the colors in that one, and it feels closest to the original game. I don't like the new aesthetic or feel of 1, 2/LL, or 3.

>> No.932254

>>932143
to be honest, I never had an NES. My first time playing it was on All-Stars and I loved it - probably because the graphics/color were more like what I was used to on SMW.
I've played the original, but for me...the All-Stars is the one with nostalgia, since it's the one I played first.

BTW, I am very ignorant to these things, but I just got a 3DS. Is SMB3 on the eshop?

>> No.932303

SMAS.

I think NES GFX look stupidly ugly, and yes, I had a NES and am not underage b&. It's an opinion.

>> No.932362

SMB1/2J are better on NES, but 2USA and 3 are better on SNES. Fuck the GBA ports with their added voice clips.

>>932254
Not yet, I think SMB2USA just got released a little while ago.

>> No.932379

All-Stars.

I grew up on the NES originals but I prefer the presentation on SNES, despite any possible inaccuracies.

>> No.932384

>>932362
>not having the 32 original smb3 e-reader levels
But yeah, I'm surprised turning off the voices isn't an option.

>> No.932426

>>932384
Has someone come up with a way to patch those levels into the GBA rom or somesuch?

Though, unless those levels are amazing, they wouldn't make up for the annoying voices that all the GBA ports except I think SMW2 had.

>> No.932430

the jumping is so fucked in all stars, I wish it wasn't.

>> No.932460

>>932426
the levels are in the rom it's just that you need the ereader cards to unlock them

>> No.932467

>>932460
also there exist saves that have all the levels unlocked

>> No.932486
File: 92 KB, 800x800, super-mario-all-stars-wii-25th-anniversary-american-box-artwork.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>932254

Can we talk about how terrible this thing is? Any other company would've included the original games as with the ability to switch the graphics and sound with a button press; an option to fix the physics of SMB1 and SMB2J; the various bonus features from the GBA releases of the games; adjustable speed setting to mimic both NTSC, PAL, and weird faster PAL; hell, even lots of stupid filters!

But no, Nintendo gives us an almost twenty year old ROM on a disc with an emulator. And charges more then it would cost to buy the game individually online.

>> No.932493

>>932460

No they're not. SMB3 Advance's battery memory is stupid large for a reason.

>> No.932513

>>932426
Yes, but I forget how they did it. Something about savegame files.

Also, SMW2 adds the Yoshi sounds that were standardized with Yoshi's Story.

>> No.932528

>>932486
Just think, it would normally cost what, 6 bucks to buy the game on the eshop?

Didn't they sell that for 40 when it came out?

>> No.932545

>>932528

$30 actually. Even if you're being generous though and compare to what it would cost to buy the original NES versions of the game on the eshop that still only totals $21.

And holy shit, I just learnt that the disc does not even include Super Mario World.

>> No.932556

The physics on the All-Stars version are different, as people have previously stated, but the game is every bit as playable. If you don't want to re-learn controlling Mario, NES version is superior, if you're ok with the physics change, then the SNES version is superior.

Personally, I was ok with the physics change. That, combined with the updated graphics, music, and all games on one cart made this one a no-brainer.

>> No.932702
File: 7 KB, 256x239, Mario All-Stars & Super Mario World # SNES_00012.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

All Stars for the Luigi Sprites

>> No.932840

>>932556

Isn't literally the only difference that in SMB1 and SMB2j that Mario will lose momentum if he hits a block from underneath while running?

The later levels of SMB2j are definitely way less trippy in All-Stars though.

>> No.932882

>>932840
>Isn't literally the only difference that in SMB1 and SMB2j that Mario will lose momentum if he hits a block from underneath while running?

No. The controls aren't as tight, you can't jump as high... the game just doesn't feel as "fluid". What I really like about SMB on the NES is that in most of the levels you can just take off and run like a motherfucker from beginning to end. Can't really do that on the SNES.

>> No.932887

>>932882

But the problem really is only with SMB1 and SMB2j then?

>> No.932894

>>932887

I don't know. Don't care about the others much.

>> No.933021

Can't remember, can you high-jump off of enemies in SMAS SMB1&2j?

>> No.933420

Original NES versions.

I actually prefer how the older versions look. IMO the main advantage of All-Stars is the music.

>> No.933443

>physics

Just dropping by to say that nothing on the NES had "physics." The word you guys are looking for is "mechanics."

The difference is that the game has a set, predetermined outcome for when Mario hits a block/jumps/etc vs calculating in real-time slow down as Mario goes through a block dependent on his speed upon hitting the block.

Yes, I am being this pedantic.

Also, All Stars.

>> No.933452

Originals on the NES, definitely.
The physics in All Stars were floaty, loose, and fucked six ways through Sunday, which is problematic in all besides Super Mario USA, which was pretty floaty to begin with.
The graphics and music are a nice touch though, and that always tempts me to play All Stars. It's even tempting me now.

>> No.933484

Depends

I prefer the SMB original, I like both doki doki panics, I prefer the All Stars SMB3, and Lost Levels Im unsure of.

>> No.933757

>>932169
what are the extras?

>> No.933834

>>933484
I'm with this guy really.

>> No.933896

I didn't like the All-Stars form of the music, outside of SMB2. Generally I'm a big fan of Nintendo updating popular themes in later generations, just not in this specific case.

>> No.933917

Super Mario Deluxe for the original game, All Stars for 2 and 3, Lost Levels is a shitty game so who gives a fuck.

>> No.933949

NES for SMB, SMAS for 2 and 3. Lost Levels isn't fun on any system.

The only thing I really and truly don't like about SMAS is the music. Ugh.

>> No.935101

NES has a better aesthetic. Also differently colored airships

>> No.935107

>>932426
There is a save file with all levels installed.

http://www.mediafire.com/?9o4uco5bbge92vb

>> No.935113

The music in SMB3 is vastly superior on the NES

>> No.935126

>>933757
for smb3 on gba, it added 32 new levels that use powers/enemies from other games. some of the layouts are pretty crazy. originally they were distributed through e-reader cards, but you can just use a save file that has all of them.

smw on gba has a status screen so you can see your yoshi coins and exits per level. once you beat it you can play the levels through that screen for maximum lazy.

>> No.936137 [DELETED] 

>>935126

Been looking all over for a working GBA SMB3 save with all the extras, sauce?

>> No.936165

>>935107

Loads as corrupted. Which site is the source rom from/

>> No.936192

I always thought that SMB3 looked odd on NES. Like the technology wasn't there yet. The colors are oddly faded.

>> No.936306

>>932426
>they wouldn't make up for the annoying voices that all the GBA ports except I think SMW2 had.

I have to disagree for SMB2. They make the game really cheesy and more over the top, they did give me a good laugh, specially Birdo. "THIS IS AS FAR AS YOU GOOO!"

"HUAAAAAAA"

>> No.936325

>>932186
>>932185

I've personally always hated the original SMB3 Mario sprite. My vote would go to All Stars. For those of you complaining about the changed jump physics, what percentage of players would have actually noticed this prior to the internet age?

>> No.936345

>>933021
Yes, you can.

>> No.936381 [DELETED] 

I can never play SMB3 on the NES because of the lack of saves. And while I played SMB on the NES first I never had the chance to beat it. Friend was bored of it by the time I meet him and wanted to play other games. And when I got my SNES I had All-Stars so I was able to play them finally. Never really gone back but felt I could never play SMB3 without saves.

>> No.936396

While I played SMB on the NES first I never had the chance to beat it. Friend was bored of it by the time I meet him and wanted to play other games. And when I got my SNES I had All-Stars so I was able to play them finally. Never really gone back but felt I could never play SMB3 without saves.

>> No.936676

>>933917
>>933949
>Lost Levels is hard, therefore it's bad

>> No.937424

>>936325
>For those of you complaining about the changed jump physics, what percentage of players would have actually noticed this prior to the internet age?

If it wasn't a noticeable difference, why would people complain?

>> No.937473

>>932143
If I'm emulating, NES. But the only physical copy I own is SMB1, so I'll play the All-Stars versions otherwise.

>> No.937483

>>937424
For the same reason that people thought that Crystal Pepsi had a different flavor than regular Pepsi. If someone believes that they'll getting a different experience, their brain will tell them that the experience is different. If someone reads that jump physics has been changed between versions of a game, then jumping will feel different to them even if jumping HASN'T been changed at all.

>> No.937628

I prefer the gameboy advance versions

>> No.937631

AFwefajiohihfoiahgwfihlewfjALjWAfnhWELFLfjAWfj

>> No.937659

ITT:

>Everyone who played NES first likes NES ones
>Everyone who played SNES first likes SNES ones

>> No.938042

>>937659
I played the NES versions first, but I prefer All-Stars for every game, including SMB1. I would never have noticed the physics differences in the game if 4chan hadn't told me about it.

>> No.938215

>>937628
>voices
pls no

>> No.938379

>>937483

OK, well, I certainly noticed the difference in SMB1.

>> No.938387

>>938042
>I prefer All-Stars for every game, including SMB1.

How much have you actually played the original? Try doing a speedrun of both versions, and then tell the SNES version is better.

>> No.938418 [DELETED] 

The original mushroom in mario 1 [red/orange triangular top] is the one that I think looks far better than the red/white circular one. So I HATE the fact they "retconned" the design when they remade Mario 1 in the all stars collection.

I know it's stupid, and I know its petty, but the original mushroom is iconic, you see it within seconds of playing the game. And it just looks BETTER than those round ones with faces. I wish they kept the original design. But that's one of the reasons I'd never play All Stars Mario 1.

>> No.938423
File: 5 KB, 276x183, unacceptable.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The original mushroom in mario 1 [red/orange triangular top] is the one that I think looks far better than the red/white circular one. So I HATE the fact they "retconned" the design when they remade Mario 1 in the all stars collection.

I know it's stupid, and I know its petty, but the original mushroom is iconic, you see it within seconds of playing the game. And it just looks BETTER than those round ones with faces. I wish they kept the original design. But that's one of the reasons I'd never play All Stars Mario 1.

>> No.938874

>>938387
I had an NES as a kid, probably when I was 6 or 7, it came with SMB/Duck Hunt, and I played it all the time, beat it a few times. I was never a big doer of speed runs though, I was a "prove I can beat the whole thing without warps" kinda kid.

But eventually I moved on to Mario 2, 3, an SNES and World. By the time All-Stars came out, I probably hadn't played the original in a few years. I do vaguely remember having a bit of trouble with SMB1 when I played it at first, but I chalked it up to being out of practice. I kept trying and probably ended up retraining myself to play on All-Stars without even knowing I was doing it. And I don't think I ever did a side-by-side comparison of the games because we had one TV and it was the 90s and I'd never heard of a switcher.

I never noticed the differences until a few years ago when I saw someone on /v/ bitching about them and I had the freedom to quickly load up both games thanks to emulators. I can play both versions just fine without even thinking about it. I'm not saying the differences aren't there, but they aren't that big a deal; it's only really noticeable if you play one game right after the other.

>> No.938923

>>938874

I never did a side by side comparison either, never even owned a SNES, but I was at a friend's house, and they were playing All-Stars, and I'm like, "yeah I'm pretty good at Super Mario, watch me blaze through this shit!" And then I kept dying. "What the fuck? I should be able to jump over that piranha plant." Shit like that. I guess it's just a matter of getting used to it, but I do think the mechanics and the placements of enemies/obstacles was very finely tuned in the original, and if you change any of it, it ruins the flow of the game.

>> No.938939

>>932426
Could be worse. Look at the Alttp port, with Link's shouts copy pasted right out of OoT. It feels really off.

>> No.938946

>>936325

But the sprites in All-Stars are identical; they just added more colors. But maybe you knew that anyway?

>> No.938950

>>932513
>Also, SMW2 adds the Yoshi sounds that were standardized with Yoshi's Story.

Which is tolerable but still arguably worse

>> No.938962

>>936325
>For those of you complaining about the changed jump physics, what percentage of players would have actually noticed this prior to the internet age?

I'm about as hardcore of a SMB player as they come, and the difference is barely noticeable to me. 95% of the people that bitch about the jumping physics are just copy and pasting that thought after reading it on the internet

>> No.938973

>>938962
SMB1 has very obviously different block collision physics. The jump physics are identical AFAICT.

I'm not convinced there are any physics differences in the other games.

>> No.939632

>>932153
>better sound

no

>> No.939645

>>932153
>better physics

topkek

>> No.939658

>>933443
when did games start getting physics? did mario 64 have "physics"? i guess i just associated the term physics with how the characters move and respond to environment

>> No.939669

>>932254
It should be coming soon, Japan's had it for a long time now.

>> No.939678

>>938962
I only really notice it on one level in the all stars version of super mario bros, 4-1 I think where in nes you can jump over the piranha plants from a different starting point for the jump and you can actually jump over the platform underneath the one row of blocks with small mario by bouncing off the blocks.

>> No.939690

>>932545
It did have a nice booklet the soundtrack was terrible though and didn't have many songs

I wish they would've just redone it with all of the GBA changes instead.

>> No.939724

>>939690
>I wish they would've just redone it with all of the GBA changes instead.

That would have required something other than slapping the ROM of Mario All Stars on DVD-Rom. That was not something Nintendo was willing to do.

Really, the only reason it exists is the fact that Nintendo didn't want to put SMAS on the Virtual Console and charge $8 for it (Since why would you pay $5 each for the four NES games when the Super Nintendo version has them all?), so putting it out as a physical disc was an easy workaround for them to charge more for it. It's the exact reason it doesn't have World. Why let people have World for free with SMAS when you can buy it off the Virtual Console for $8?

>> No.942142

>>936165

It's not corrupted. Your emulator isn't handling save file loading correctly. Use VBA-M or RetroArch with VBA-Next. Ancient VBA versions like 1.7.2 or 1.8.0 have poor handling of save files.