[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 687 KB, 600x900, 1369143628354.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
930068 No.930068 [Reply] [Original]

How many of you beaten Doom on Nightmare?

I've never tried but I guess it's finally time for me to do so.

I have a feeling this is going to be the ultimate test of single player.

What are some other feats in vidya that are true tests of skill and respected the world over? Things that once you've beaten, make you a true OG?

>> No.930089

Beating Contra without the Konami code, beating Metal Slug and saving all prisoners, beating Super Mario Bros. 3 without warp whistles, beating the NES Double Dragon, and figuring out what the fuck you're supposed to do in Three Stooges.

>> No.930093 [DELETED] 
File: 5 KB, 250x191, 1369230479513s.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Things that once you've beaten, make you a true OG?
ur mum

>> No.930096

>>930089
>Beating Contra without the Konami code
That's easy. Are you even being serious? I've beaten Contra without dying even once in a single playthrough.

>beating Super Mario Bros. 3 without warp whistles
Also very doable, wtf.

You're bad at video games.

>> No.930102

>>930096

Watch out /vr/, tough guy coming through.

>> No.930104

I've beaten the first and second episode of Doom 1 on Nightmare. It's very thrilling to play on Nightmare after playing UV for a long time.

I can respect anybody who can 2-ALL DoDonPachi. Only a few English speaking players have actually done it, and only one or two of them are Western. Speedrunning any difficult retro game is pretty badass too, but it tends to feel like my clears are trivial after watching them plow through it with ease. I don't know how some of them can spend the entire day playing that one game without making a single mistake, it just seems impossible.

>> No.930109

Beat Ninja Gaiden without getting a game over.

>> No.930108

>>930104
>I've beaten the first and second episode of Doom 1 on Nightmare
Before I started this Nightmare playthrough, I did a quick related google and found somebody else say the same thing. Third episode is apparently where it's really a bitch. Wonder how many people have done it.

Right now I'm on E1M6. It's a lot of fun and feels very rewarding. I wish I knew the maps better though as I've always been more of a Doom II veteran and know those maps much better than Ultimate. Adds to the frenzy though I guess.

>> No.930114

The best thing for you to do is utilize the easiest/quickest paths to take while minimizing hitscan encounters OP. Never ever waste more time than a few seconds in each area.

>> No.930117

>>930089
>Beating Contra without the Konami code
Yeah... I did that when I was six. I didn't even know the Konami code. Apparently I had more vidya skills than you when I was six years old. How does this make you feel?

>> No.930121

>>930114
Yah. Problem is I don't know the maps very well. I said here >>930108 I was always more of a Doom II player.

>> No.930123

>>930102
The original Contra really isn't that hard if you play other difficult retro games. Now Super C? That's hard, at least the final boss is a pushover.

>> No.930147

>>930108
I've tried pistol start NM runs of Episode 3 and 4 for fun, E4M2 is a okay on UV with pistol start, but on NM it's just annoying. Definitely possible, just annoying and will require careful route planning for somebody of my skill level. This is, with the classic keyboard only controls, of course. It's a shame that Doom and shmups are really the only games I've put time into the past five years, I don't think I'd even be able to clear any of the MM games on one continue now.

Hell, I don't even know where to start if I want to play platformers now.

>> No.930151

Beat Turok 2 on hard, with a single life, saving all totems, obtaining all part of the nook weapon, in under 9 hours.

while playing the PC port

>> No.930194

>>930109
>tfw can't get past the second stage

fucking respawning enemies, man

>> No.930189

>>930147
Hmmm, I'm playing KBM. This isn't allowed? Oh well.

>> No.930204

>>930189
Of course it is, don't let purists tell you otherwise.

>> No.930210

Ocarina of time uber challenge
Majoras mask 6 day run

thats all i can really think of

>> No.930217

>>930089
>beating Super Mario Bros. 3 without warp whistles

One of these things is not like the other.

>> No.930225

I've beat every scenario of RE2 with an S rank, Claire B was a bitch to get perfect. I've also beat all four on hard but i don't think S ranks are even possible on that difficulty, maybe A if you do almost perfect.

>> No.930267

I've beaten Doom 1 and 2 on Nightmare. What you have to have is a good understanding of the map layouts, and the fastest way to get through them with the least killing in between. Fighting monsters is a good way to slow yourself down, and then they start respawning.

>> No.930290

>>930189
Of course it's fine, I just enjoy playing with keyboard only when I'm doing new things with Doom.

>> No.930396
File: 887 KB, 1366x768, Screenshot_Doom_20130724_060325.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

OP here. Just mowed through the first episode on Nightmare. Wasn't bad at all, feeling pretty good. Don't know why the screenshot came out like this.

Apologies to purists for GZDoom + Mouse Control.

Onto episode 2. Fuck me this GOTYAY.

>> No.930413

>>930267
>Doom 2 on Nightmare
Wow, well played m8. Don't think many people can say that. Will try it out once I get through Ultimate.

>> No.931294

I've done Ultimate and Doom2 on Nightmare, never had the patience to have a serious go at doing Final Doom.

Anyway, have fun OP. It can be frustrating and you'll feel that frustration as soon as E1M3 when you get surrounded by goons you've already killed, but it's intense fun.

>> No.931304

>>930396
>Mouse Control.
Doom had good mouse control in 1993, you just had to edit default.cfg to get it to an acceptable sensitivity.
If the autorun bug is legal, so is using a bloody mouse! Anybody who thinks Doom was intended to be played with a keyboard only is a fool, the default demos clearly have low sensitivity mouse turning.

>> No.931305

>>930068
I respect anyone that has beaten Battletoads

>> No.931342

>>930068
i tried playing doom on nightmare co-op with my bro. if you die, you respawn at the beginning of the map with whatever guns you started with map with. it was pretty easy for like the first 10 levels or so. eventually we got to a level where we kept dying. we used up all the powerups and health on the map, which didn't respawn. the level was too long to be able to run through and without any powerups left, it was simply impossible. the sergeants and zombiemen basically do guaranteed damage with their hitscan weapons, especially since you often have to face multiple of them at once. after dying like 50 times each we gave up, but it was really fun. if we had planned it out better or tried restarting, we could probably do it.

>> No.931554

>>930102
+1 for contra not being THAT hard

>> No.931567

>>931554
The common misconception of Contra being difficult comes from the people who are really bad at retro games. It's the same deal with Megaman and most shmups, most of these people have never played a pre-1998 video game in their life, and when they do start, they get destroyed.

>> No.931572

>>931567
Mega Man games are not hard for me, while Contra is ridiculously so and I can't get farther than the third level. People find different things difficult.

>> No.931739

I played pit fighter on snes for more than ten minutes without puking.

>> No.931773

>>931567
or maybe they've always sucked. not everyone who gamed on an NES is a God of gaming.

i still can't play gradius

>>931572

this

>> No.931779

>>931773
Gradius is hard.
Gradius 3 arcade is fucking hard. The equivalent of stubbing your toe while stepping on a lego piece while your other foot steps on a plug. It's tough. Real tough. Once you die, you might as well restart, 'cause you sure as hell won't be recovering unless you know exactly what to do.

>> No.931798
File: 83 KB, 609x480, nes-gremlins-2-6.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Things that once you've beaten, make you a true OG?
Nearly every NES game. For instance, the final levels of pic related are a fucking nightmare.

>> No.931857

>>930068
I might try -fast one day, but as a completionist I hate the idea of respawning enemies.

>>931572
Probably because Mega Man is mostly hard in specific places, but also is more forgiving of errors. With Contra, if you screw up a few times you're done.

>> No.932249

Is it possible to play through Unloved with brutal doom? I can't seem to get it to work if so. Thanks

>> No.932854

>people not just grinding for 1ups in Megaman
A little patience pays off

>> No.932904

Castlevania NES = being able to complete (no savestates) is what draws the line between vr casuals and vr gamers

Super Ghouls and Ghosts = separates vr gamers from vr hardcore gamers

There should be a list of vr games like this with a power level for each one.