[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 855 KB, 633x646, redc.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9280889 No.9280889 [Reply] [Original]

I just finished this. I didn't like it much at first, but it kinda grew on me (except the constant door transitions, those can fuck off). So where do I go from here? Chris Advanced? Resident Evil 2? REmake GCN? REmake HD Remaster?

But one thing I don't get is why is auto-aim the default aim (and in some cases, unchangeable) style of the game? When I first started, I rebinded my controls which for some reason disabled auto-aim. I got through half the game like this and I thought it was great. It really made combat feel more tactical and added tension to encounters. But then I was reading about the rest of the games, and found it's supposed to have auto-aim so switched to that (since that's what REmake and future entries use anyways). But with auto-aim it just feels so basic; you just 180° snap to a target, mash fire, and then move. There is no tension or high stakes to the combat at all. It's especially baffling since the one thing tank controls excel at is being able to precisely line up shots and move backwards while still facing a target, but yet they just choose to just fully automate it for some reason.

Also what is it about RE2 and REmake that are supposedly so much better that everyone considers them substantially better than RE1? As far as I can tell, in both games the inventory system is largely unchanged and the combat is very similar as well compared to RE1, and those are really the main flaws of RE1, aside from the excessive backtracking and door animations.

>> No.9280963

Did you play Director's cut or just used the picture? Original release had much better music.
If you liked the game - replay it to get best ranks or at least do a playthrough of another character. RE series shines on replays. Just make sure it's not Director's cut.
Then play 2, clear both A and B stories, try to shoot for high ranks afterwards again.
Same with 3. 3 is the worst on your first playthrough, but it's fantastic on the replays.
Then CV, REmake, 0 and so on.

>autoaim
From what I recall, original jap release had autoaim.
I think the series is better off with it, but it's not like combat all that deep anyway, there are some tricks, though. Like you've said, combat is mostly about mashing fire and moving on, with or without AA. Also, I believe REmake had a mode in which there is no autoaim.

>REmake GCN? REmake HD Remaster?
REmake is best played when:
>you are very familiar with the original
>it's been some time after you've played it
Devs were fully aware how popular the original was when they were making it.
I'd say go for a remaster, just play it 4:3, because it uses prerendered backgrounds and in 16:9 they are just cropped. Also install lighting mod (it's on PCGW), because in the HD it was pretty botched. Or just play GC version, up to you really.

>why is RE2/REmake better
Play them and find out for yourself, not everyone thinks that these are better options. But to give you the rundown:
>RE2 is more actiony
>features 2 stories
>more varied in terms of locations
>REmake is the original game, but looks prettier and bigger
Pretty much everyone got their own opinion as to which game is the highlight of the series.

>> No.9280971

>>9280963
I played the standard Director's Cut which has original music. The DualShock version has the botched soundtrack.

Also I never saw any ranking? All it told me was playtime and save count at the end of the game.

>> No.9280979

>>9280889
Play the original or the Saturn version. DC is inferior to both

>> No.9280983

>>9280889
>REmake HD Remaster?
Please kill yourself.

>> No.9280985

>>9280889
It is kinda funny that even though the game was designed with auto-aim in mind that it can be a little more fun to use manual aim. Makes those headshots just that much more satisfying Ironically I think manual aiming makes at least Yawn easier to fight; probably some other stuff too. I’m surprised it was on by default; I seem to remember having to turn it on in that version.
Play RE2! It’s very good. It’s faster paced and more setpiece-y than the first game. I honestly like the gameplay in the first one just a little bit more, but RE2 is still an awesome game.
By the way, when you say that you beat it, do you mean you played both scenarios? If you haven’t, it’s worth it.

>> No.9280991

>>9280985
>By the way, when you say that you beat it, do you mean you played both scenarios? If you haven’t, it’s worth it.
I started with Jill Standard and beat that. Then I started Chris Advanced, shot a zombie about 10 times before it died (I don't like this), then I died to two zombies on a blind curve because I didn't feel like using my first aid spray that early. Now I've temporarily shelved it while I decide what to do next.

>> No.9280996

>>9280985
>It is kinda funny that even though the game was designed with auto-aim in mind
It wasn't. Auto aiming was something hastily added at the very last minute.

>> No.9281014

>>9280996
Ah, my bad. I honestly don’t think it suffers much when played with auto-aim in any case.
>>9280991
Play RE2, fool. Release order or bust for retro games in my opinion.

>> No.9281089

>>9280971
Oh yeah, in the original you have to beat the game under 3 hours time.
Basically what I mean is shoot for the unlockables. Don't listen to that other cunt, push forward and replay the game as Chris, it's harder but you already did it once.

>> No.9281090

>>9280983
Nothing wrong with it as long as you disable the color filter to revert it back to GC colors.

>> No.9281091

>>9280971
>I played the standard Director's Cut which has original music.
good. the music is a large part of the experience and the new soundtrack is terrible

>> No.9281107

>>9281091
Dual Shock soundtrack is fine overall and I like some of the tracks better than the original ones.

>> No.9281434

>>9280889
Worst soundtrack ever. I prefer the original.

>> No.9281714

>>9280889
Play Advanced mode, it's so much fucking fun. It might be my favorite campaign in the whole series.

>> No.9282445

>>9281091
>>9281107
>>9281434
Resident Evil: True Director's Cut (Hack) PSX ISO (Resident Evil Director's Cut is the only version that includes Advanced/Arrange difficulty)
https://cdromance.com/psx-iso/resident-evil-true-directors-cut-hack/

>The original uncut FMVs from the Japanese version, alongside the full-color opening scene from the French and German Director’s Cut release.
>The Mansion’s Bathroom from the 01/31/1996 Beta version, which allows you to grab an extra Clip after unplugging the Water in Jill’s scenario.
>The Mansion’s 2nd Floor Right Stairs wall message in blood, from the Japanese Trial Edition of the game.
>The Mansion’s 2nd Floor Main Hall unknown music track, in the scene when Jill meets Barry again (”it’s reeaally powerful”), sourced from the 01/31/1996 Beta version (only on Easy and Original modes).
>Original BGM or DualShock BGM

>> No.9282534

>>9280889
theres a few different versions of this game, if i remeber correctly, the later directors cut had different music and was supposed to have the gory uncensored intro, but they fucked up and added the censored intro, i think theres 2 different versions of the intro a colour one and a black/white one, might be the dual shock version, well some smart bastards have hacked all the best shit together into a complete version, so u get directors cut with original uncensored intro, original music from the first version and possibly dual shock as well, someone correct me if im wrong. i forget

>> No.9282542

disregard this>>9282534, should have read all posts first, this guy knows what he's talking about

>> No.9282547

this guy>>9282445

>> No.9282557 [DELETED] 

>>9280971
there is ranking in RE1, that only started with 1 onwards. You can try getting best ending under 3 hours without saving though.

>> No.9282560

>>9280971
there is no ranking in RE1, that only started with 1 onwards. You can try getting best ending under 3 hours without saving though.

>> No.9282569

Is it weird that even the PC re-release of the GameCube remake still doesn't allow those door transitions to be skipped? I always figured they were just hidden loading screens (although maybe that was never really the case). I'm sure that fans now consider them to be part of the atmosphere or whatever, and would say the game is "soulless" if they were removed, but the option to skip or disable them would be harmless. I mean if they're not hidden loading screens in modern ports then the game is just aggressively wasting the player's time.

>> No.9282574

>>9282569
> I always figured they were just hidden loading screens

Yes and no, several batches of data are loaded at several points during the door anim, but they could have done that just with a fade to black that lasts 1-2 seconds.

>> No.9282681

>>9282445
real mvp

>> No.9282881

>>9282569
They're skippable in the original PC port of RE1 from way back so I don't know why devs would keep them in a modern port. Maybe it was just laziness.

>> No.9282905

>>9282569
mod it out

>> No.9283287

>>9282445
those things were removed for a reason. nothing beats mediakite+rebirth and you can take that to the bank, jack

>> No.9283292

>>9282445
thanks anon, i downloaded this and tried it quickly and was actually pretty surprised the amount of gore that was in the opening cutscene. not surprised it was censored at the time really. the cutscene with the first zombie eating the guy, it also shows his head cut off too.

>> No.9283303

>>9280889
RE2 and REmake 2 are both excellent games in two different genres, both are worth playing.

>> No.9283953

>>9283303
>REmake 2
>excellent game
Kys
>>>/v/

>> No.9284338

>>9280889
>except the constant door transitions
You're not going to like any Resident Evil games until 4 then

>> No.9284346

>>9280889
I also just finished the first and second games, and this is how I'm doing it:
>play every mainline game in order of release (including CVX and remakes)
>completing a game "unlocks" all spinoff games between that game and the next number release
>can play "unlocked" games at leisure in any order, but aim to finish them all
>may come back to arrange mode and other extras later, but not necessary
>>9280963
>Original release had much better music.
Which music did the PC version have?

>> No.9284351

>>9280889
>series of.clearly numbered game
>HURPUDURP! WHAT GAEM DOES I PLAY NEXT!?
probably the second one, you fucking moron.

>> No.9284361

>>9284351
Chris Advanced is the harder arrange version of the same game. REmake is a remake of 1 with gameplay changes. REmake HD is a remaster of that remake with some more minor changes. 2 is the sequel.

So no, it's not that simple at all you mouthbreathing dimwit

>> No.9284371

>>9284361
REmake was released 5th. HD is a remaster of the same game (meaning only an idiot would play both) Chris advance is a rom hack, and not for beginners. 2 is the second game released. Its pretty straight forward you fucking retard

>> No.9284374
File: 68 KB, 600x660, grayon.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9284371
>an arrange mode added in the Director's Cut is a romhack
>release order is the only order you can play games
Christ you are an actual fucking retard and I hope you are trolling

>> No.9284574

>>9280889
RE2 on Nightmare Difficulty also disables auto aim, and I think REmake on its highest difficulty as well

>> No.9284837

the old games without quickturn would not work without autoaim. some enemies like hunters would rape you instantly.

>> No.9284953

>>9280889
So many zombies in this version, where you go Into the room that leads to two rooms (where the fishtank and framed bug puzzle is) there's like 3 zombies in that little room

>> No.9286371

>>9283303
Are they really that different from one another? They seem pretty similar to me, differences in camera and control scheme notwithstanding. They're both about exploring and backtracking through intricate puzzlebox level designs, gradually opening them up by finding keys while managing inventory space and saving ammo by avoiding monsters where possible, punctuated by occasional boss fights. I feel like some people see the over the shoulder TPS control scheme in the remake and just won't accept it could be anything other than a straightforward action game like RE4 because of it, but it's honestly not, at least it didn't feel like it playing on hardcore. There were a lot of points I wasn't sure I'd have enough ammo to finish the game.

I played the original afterwards and it was a lot easier. Because of that and the way the newer control scheme makes the combat feel more interactive and skillful, I found the remake to be a better game.

>> No.9286442

>>9284837
Hunters won't actually fuck with you too much if you don't try to attack them. They just chase and try to do their low ankle swipe. I'd love to know if that's an intentional quirk of their AI, like Lickers being blind, or just some kind of oversight.

>> No.9286620

i beat it along with 2 this year. i remember the cave music was funnier than the basement meme music everyone laughs at. also 2 is better way more memorable. then i got burned out at 3 and lost my save and just went to 5

>> No.9286638
File: 81 KB, 623x623, resident-evil-deadly-silence-button-edit-1642579707126.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>make best version of RE1
>it's a handheld exclusive

>> No.9286737

>>9283953
cool opinion sadly I don't care

>> No.9287630

>>9286638
tired of this meme

>> No.9289048

bump