[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 189 KB, 430x596, Boss Reference Sheet WIP.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
926492 No.926492 [Reply] [Original]

Can we have a robot masters thread? Favorite/least favorite based on sprites/art? What kind of robot master you'd want to see in the event of another Mega Man game?

Pic related, it's a chart that's a mixture of original, edited, and customized sprites still fitting to the palette limitations and style.

>> No.926509

Favorite: Shadow Man. He's a goddamn robot ninja.

Least Favorite: Toad Man. He's a goddamn toad.

>> No.926558

>>926509

Toad Man also had a pretty boring attack pattern.

Picking a favorite/least from each game, I'd say, in that order...

MM1- Guts Man, Bomb Man
MM2- Quick Man, Bubble Man
MM3- Gemini Man, Needle Man
MM4- Dive Man, Toad Man
MM5- Wave Man, Crystal Man
MM6- Centaur Man, Plant Man
MM7- no decision, they all look amazing
MM8- Tengu Man, Search Man
MM9- Splash Woman, Galaxy Man
MM10- Strike Man, Solar Man
Rockman & Forte- Burner Man, Cold Man

>> No.926573

MM1: Cut Man, Fire Man
MM2: Quick Man, Heat Man
MM3: Snake Man, Hard Man
MM4: Drill Man, Dust Man
MM5: Charge Man, Crystal Man
MM6: Centaur Man, Plant Man
MM7: Shade Man, either Freeze Man or Burst Man
MM8: Sword Man, Astro Man
MM9: Galaxy Man, Plug Man

Never played the other games in OP.

>> No.926575
File: 225 KB, 871x1264, 918072a4e5df98dcf36e6eaacd3b3813.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

1. Ice Man because he is an adorable big headed eskimo

2. Air Man because he is the best robot master

3. I dunno, Gemini Man I guess? The fact that you fight him by playing leapfrog is p. cool

4. Dive Man. Stone jawed soviet submarine dude who owns

5. All these guys sucked except for Napalm Man

6. Flame Man. Best music in the game too

>> No.926636
File: 183 KB, 524x660, Charge_Man__by_mooncalfe.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>926575
>All these guys sucked except for Napalm Man
Say that to my face, fucker.

>> No.926642

MM1- Fire man, Bomb man Bomb man, Oil man for PU
MM2- Metal man, wood man
MM3- Top Man, Needle Man
MM4- Toad Man, Drill Man
MM5- Star Man, Charge Man
MM6- Plant Man, Tomahawk Man
MM7- Cloud man, Spring man
MM8- Grenade Man, Aqua Man
MM9- Splash Woman, Plug Man
MM10- Solar Man, Commando Man
Rockman & Forte- Burner Man, Ground Man

Overall favorite: Metal man. He a ninja doctor robot dentist that throws saw blades.

Overall least favorite: Hard to say because I don't really hate any of them in particular, but probably either Charge man or Spring man.

>> No.926840

Overall favorite: Air Man. There's a lot of interesting stuff packed into that tiny sprite. A menacing expression, the neat fan, the little vents.

Least favorite: Crystal Man. He's made out of orbs. Not interesting.

I have no programming skill, but I've already come up with ideas for RMs if I ever made my own fan game. I like when RMs have a bit of a backstory to them, a purpose they held before being converted into war machines, or at least a touch of personality beyond "WELCOME TO MY GARAGE OF PAIN, LET'S FIGHT!" Just a quick snippet of text before and after a fight would be nice, I guess.

>> No.927220
File: 463 KB, 1426x246, MM8 Update.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Update to the MM8 bosses. Trying to make them less shiny than what the 2ch team did with them and see if I can add more touches of color here and there without breaking the palette. Clown Man seems way out of it, but at the same time, look again at Plant Man from MM6 in the OP. Five colors! His face, his helmet, his petals, and green and purple for his armor. Clown Man has just four colors in comparison, not counting black and white. So, I guess it works? Not quite sure. All that the lineup really needs now is a better looking Astro Man and that should do it.

>> No.927373
File: 304 KB, 1117x200, Another MM8 Update.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Another update. So I was going to make my own Astro Man, when I came across a version that just fucking aced it. I don't think I could do a better job than that, so to the chart it goes. Source is "Zexion-teh-WoLf" on DeviantART (weird name, I know).

>> No.927658

>>926492
The picture is also missing Quint and the Stardroids

>> No.927681

Favourites:

1: Iceman
2: Quickman
3: Geminiman
4: Skullman/Ringman
5: Waveman
V: Mercury
6: Flameman
7: Fuck they're all my favourite, 7 has the best masters
8: Frostman
&B: Pirateman
9: Galaxyman
10: Nitroman

Dislike:

None, baby!

I always wanted to see something like Pressureman, who's power is obvious. If he goes into an 'overdrive' state a la Megaman 7, he would increase the pressure of the room so much that his own gauges would break

>> No.927697

Is Blues considered a robot-master?
I always liked him

>> No.927761

>>927697

Sure, why not. You have a good fight with him in MM7 and you get his shield, so he's legit.

>>927658

Added. The Stardroids' colors are way fucked up, no thanks to whoever edited these. I'll have to fix them up myself.

After this and doing Pirate Man, I'm going to take note of some of your suggestions (Pressure Man, someone brought up), along with my own ideas, and I'll see if I can sprite some original bosses in the same style.

>> No.927764

>>927761
Maybe you could get the sprites from the Super Game Boy version of Mega Man V?

>> No.927976
File: 228 KB, 1286x233, MMB Update .jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

There we go. If it's too many colors on Pirate Man, I can always remove the light purple-blue on the face and claw. Still cleaning up the star droids.

>> No.928019

Overall, I think MM3 had the most badass bosses.
Pharaoh, Needle, and Quick man would be my top 3. But really, all of the first 6 had good bosses, possibly excluding toad and dust man.

>> No.928023

1: Elecman
2: Quickman
3: Geminiman
4: Skullman
5: Waveman
6: Knightman
7: Slashman
8: Clownman
&B: Magicman
9: Hornetman
10: Commandoman

>> No.928581

> Mega Man 1
My favorite is Elec Man, I love his superhero-esque design
Least favorite would be Bomb Man, because his design feels, well, all over the place. Like, nothing there really conveys his purpose.

> Mega Man 2
I really like that Air Man has a more monstrous appearance compared to the more humanoid Masters.
I dislike Flash Man for the same reason as Bomb Man, there's nothing very indicative to his design.

> Mega Man 3
I like Magnet Man's design most of all, again for that real superhero aesthetic it seems to have.
I dislike Hard Man's because of them all, it feels the blandest.

>> No.928705
File: 100 KB, 425x425, protosmash.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Going with favorite and least favorite for each game.
1. Ice Man, Bomb Man. Elec Man is a close second for favorite, though I hate how they made him FABULOUS for Powered Up.
2. Air Man, Bubble Man
3. Snake Man, Magnet Man
4. Dive Man, Ring Man
5. Napalm Man, Crystal Man
6. Knight Man, Blizzard Man
7. Turbo Man, Spring Man
8. Frost Man, Clown Man
&B. Burner Man, Cold Man
9. Splash Woman, Hornet Man
10. Commando Man, Nitro Man

>> No.929775
File: 178 KB, 430x557, Robot Master Reference Sheet.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Annnd done.

So I was thinking of spriting my own original bosses, but then I remembered MMBN had some unique ones as well, particularly the known boss character contest winners (Gate Man, King Man, Laser Man, etc). What do you guys think? Want me to demake them, too? It would be just the ones made specifically for that series, so I wouldn't do any of the existing ones from the classic series that were redesigned for MMBN.

As for all the work so far, I'd like to clarify that only Burner Man, Pirate Man, and Magic Man were made from scratch by me, the rest being a combo of Capcom, "Zextion-teh-WoLf", and the Rockman & Forte FC wiki, and my edits of some of those sprites.

>> No.929915

So how do you feel about the portrayal of the different robot masters in "Bob and George"? has it influenced you opinion in any way?

>> No.929936

>>929915

>Bob and George

Whoa, takin me back to 2001, here. From what I remember I found it painfully unfunny and avoided it after reading a dozen or so strips, so nothing from it stuck with me.

I do have a theory for why Wily's robots are all weak to each other, however. If one goes rogue, the robot who knows his weakness can keep him in check, and so on. Mutually Assured Destruction (MAD). Also, if Wily were to be arrested, his charges would probably be pretty light. After all, he does make robots, and the laws of robotics state that robots can't harm humans, period. They're probably smart enough to know that city property contains people inside, so the city is never attacked and so they instead control fringe areas or at an opportune time when the structure is mostly unoccupied.

So I thought of another idea that might work as a novelty - eight Greek gods as robot masters. Either that or the MMBN thing, up to you guys.

>> No.929959

1. Elecman, Bombman
2. Metalman, Crashman
3. Needleman, Hardman
4. Drillman, Ringman
5. Gravityman, Crystalman
6. Yamatoman, Tomahawkman
7. they're all great
8. Tenguman, Clowman
9. Galaxyman, Hornetman
10. Sheepman, Strikeman
R&F. Dynamoman, Pirateman

>> No.929980

>>929936

Jailhouse Blues was the only comic I liked and it wasn't even the main comic

>> No.930652
File: 417 KB, 1138x569, MMBN Demakes.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

It's not over yet. I will say that the challenge here is that all the custom navis already looked so good that it's tempting to want to keep the same details, but the classic style requires proportions that are a little more evened out than the Network series. A rundown here...

>Gate Man- Don't like his silhouette. I have another idea for him already
>King Man- something a little more goofy to fit in with the style
>Bowl Man- renamed to Pin Man. I think my favorite of the redesigns so far, I think this has a chance to become a very striking sprite
>Mist Man- took the focus off the genie, put it on the lamp
>Kendo Man- struggling
>Grid Man- He pretty much looks snug with the MM8 bosses, only a detail here and there may need some changing

Keep your eyes peeled, I anticipate these all to be done by tomorrow.

>> No.931074
File: 142 KB, 382x573, Short Man.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Talked with someone about their robot master ideas, said they drew a couple a while back but thought they lost the drawings, so they wrote to me the gist of "Radio Man". I just banged this out without even thinking in about fifteen minutes.

>> No.931152

>>931074
And a fangame is born in my head

>> No.932064

bubble man is the one true robot master: his theme expresses what megaman is all about

the sadness of a struggle that never truly ends

its wistful, but also hopeful. the fighting never ends, but neither does hope

this is the only hyadain remix which I don't like, since he turns it into some kind of romantic sobstory, which is not strictly what it is about

>> No.932338
File: 2 KB, 273x189, Pin Man!.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So, can I claim this as something of my own creation? The sprite was going to be based off Bowl Man.EXE, but I wasn't even looking at him when I made the silhouette of the classic design and this ended up bearing no similar elements, save for the bowling ball and pin motif, and even those were used to emphasize different parts of the body (pin for head, not on arm, etc), along with the name change. I like this new character so much that I just want it to be mine, is all. He looks 1-in-a-million.

Also, worked hard to keep him and his details in line with the first two games.

>> No.932527

>>932338

Where are his eyes?

>> No.932534
File: 72 KB, 150x112, 1269584081530.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Heat Man.

Always.

>> No.932548

>>932527

I tried drawing his eyes three different ways, to be honest. After that, I said fuck it and just gave him holes in his face like a bowling ball would. While that may count against me for breaking a common style motif on the bosses, I don't suppose it's too different, on account of Galaxy Man having his own face. Air Man even has his own face, one of his eyes always being bigger than the other on the sprite.

>> No.932550
File: 241 KB, 420x420, 34c1423a5ea52bdbeebe128aba167976.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Protoman was always the best

>> No.932824
File: 9 KB, 250x202, eese.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Question....

Why never ever tried to make a MM game with ALL the Robot Masters in it???

>> No.932871

>>932338
Looks like an enemy from Mischief Makers on N64.

>> No.932883

>>932824
1. That would take a shitton of time and coding
2. Is the advantage of them all being in the same game worth the time spent coding/porting them?

I'm gonna go with "probably not." At least we have 1-3 all together in the Wily Wars.

>> No.932919
File: 144 KB, 1232x909, mega-man-unlimited-pc-1374593139-009.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Sorry to be slightly off-topic but I don't want to start a thread just for this considering there is already several megaman related threads running.

I've been playing Mega Man unlimited (overall it's really really good, probably in my top3 favourite MM fan games). However I just got a small issue regarding the secret stage: Yoku Man's stage :

I found the 4 Yoku letters but then nothing happened. Back to the select stage screen no new stage appeared, like nothing happened at all. How do you get into Yoku Man's stage after picking up the 4 letters? Is it because I picked up the 4 letters AFTER beating the 8 robot masters initially ? (I haven't completed the Wily Stages yet)

I checked on the game's site and even forum but there was no mention of it. Help would be much appreciated, thanks

>> No.932929

>>932919
he appears in the select screen after you waited a few seconds. just like a yoku block appears and disappears

>> No.933063

>>932824

Because it would take up a shitload of space.

>> No.933065

>>932929
lol thanks, I guess I'm not the patient type

finally beat him and his stage. was hard but kinda cool. All the teleporting reminding me of that maze stage in Minus Infinity. I admit I used E and W tanks against him because after such a long stage I didn't feel like starting over.

>> No.933079

>>926492
Why not use the sprites from RM 7FC, RM 8FC, and RM&B FC?

>> No.933082
File: 70 KB, 858x496, Mega Man Squares v4 8bit.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

All of them.

>> No.933093
File: 8 KB, 512x448, Image1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>927764
Super GameBoy is still limited to GameBoy's single-screen palette. Pic related.

>> No.933112

>>933063
Space isn't exactly limited in this day and age, especially if the game was kept 8bit.
It would take a bit of work, but most of the hard stuff is already done.
It would be entirely possible to take the engine of RockMan 7 or 8 FC and apply the previous games to them in one big clusterfuck of Mega Man greatness.

>> No.933116

>>933093

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ldp3c0Vkej1qzvs0a.png

SGB can do 4 colors per sector, but it can't do it on the fly, so moving sprites can't shift the palettes. Generally the extra coloring was for stationary stuff like the menu bar or certain static backgrounds

>> No.933175

>>933112
What advantage would there be to having it all on one game? I guess you could have Megaman holding a ton of powers at once, but then you have to figure out immunities in a new and terrible method. Unless you maintain old powers and just make all the ones from the wrong game useless. And what a cop-out that would be.

>> No.933870
File: 1.31 MB, 1857x977, Tileset Practice WIP.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Practicing Tilesets. You never know, if people like a new boss enough, you better know how to make a memorable stage to go with it. Again, I prefer to work in the MM1-MM3 style, since 4 and onward the backgrounds start to have funky colors next to each other, along with being too shiny and lacking any texture. The older style had the backgrounds to where they didn't compete for your attention as much since they were very muted by purposefully being less defined.

By the way, anyone recognize the building on the far left?

>> No.933891

>>929936
>eight Greek gods as robot masters

Didn't Mega Man V do that or do you mean something like Ares Man, Hades Man, Zeus Man, etc??

>> No.933893

>>933870
MM2's little cityscape on the title screen, right?

Honestly, I think that that robot master there should have an eyeball on that white spot. I keep looking there and seeing eyes anyway, so might as well make it the real eye(s). That's my opinion of course, just putting it out there.

>> No.933906

>>932824
I always wanted to see the NES Mega Man games hacked together. Like once you beat MM1 you move onto MM2 and keep all the weapons from MM1, beat MM2 you move on to MM3 and keep all the weapons and items from the first two games, and so on.

>> No.935354
File: 21 KB, 320x240, 1283579960854.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>929936
>After all, he does make robots, and the laws of robotics state that robots can't harm humans, period.
Wily's robots are clearly not programmed to heed those laws.

> so the city is never attacked
How many intro sequences to Megaman games feature cities exploding? Here's a hint: A LOT.

>> No.935495

>Favorite: Crash Man

Mother fucking drill hands. Also, you climb a ladder up in to SPACE to fight him. You can't even hit him if you don't have the Air Shooter when you go to his stage.

>Least favorite: Top Man

Why does he exist? Why? What would he do? I can't think of a single reason somebody would build Top Man, go "yep, that's product we can sell", and then millions of people buy Top Men.

>> No.935598

>>935495
Have you SEEN Top Spin? The power alone justifies the man. Granted he doesn't use it half as well as Mega man does.

>> No.936408

>>931074
Radio is just one of those themes I always see with fan bosses. Never knew why.

>> No.936416

>>935495
> You can't even hit him if you don't have the Air Shooter when you go to his stage
What? You can totally hit him. He jumps when you shoot, so you just time it so that he jumps into your shots.

>> No.938086
File: 95 KB, 545x557, Pin Man.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

slow day today, my bad

Early Inafune style (attempted)

>> No.938169
File: 3 KB, 300x223, napalm.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Napalm Man is obviously the greatest robot master of all time. Look at this dude, he's got a missile launcher for a head, and rockets on his hands to boot. Speaking of boots, his feet are tank treads, and that's just insane. It's too bad he's pretty easy though.

Another thing I like is that his design sort of captures the same sort of monstrous visage of Air Man that's been noted by a few people in this thread. I think that's from not having a mouth, it makes him look less human. He's huge and bulky and intimidating and just above all bad ass. Love this guy.

>> No.938226

>>938169
I do wish his weapon was more NAPALM-like. He really could have been more of a fire-type robot master. Really he's more like Tank Man.

>> No.938231

>>938086
"He'll bowl you over"

>> No.939504
File: 375 KB, 846x1107, MMV-BlackHole-Art.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>938086
Nice hand gesture.

>> No.941103

>>935495
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty certain that not every robot had a specific function

>> No.941123
File: 165 KB, 560x488, 0VfmGZQ.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>938169
Napalm Man is a shit

>> No.941160

>>926492
I love ground man,I love how simple the 'ADD DRILLS TO FUCKING EVERYTHING' was

>> No.941168
File: 37 KB, 418x278, MischiefMakers.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>938086
Strongly reminds me of those dudes.

>> No.941175

>>926492
WHAT HAPPENED TO THE /vr/ MEGAMAN GAME

>> No.941186

>>941175
http://team-perihelion.tumblr.com/
relax, it's still happening

>> No.941192

>>941186
>http://team-perihelion.tumblr.com/
How can I contact these guys to ask if they need any help in level design?

I've been working on a MM5 romhack myself, I've made about 10 stages for it so far, so I consider myself pretty good at making classic style MegaMan level design. However I've been using an editor so thats the only thing I can do (can't program, can't draw tiles etc); but if they need help with that I'd be willing to help.

i'm also a musician

>> No.941197
File: 387 KB, 409x324, zerounlimited.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>941186
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OYjMjQCDQI
w-woah it sounds so megaman-like. Also what did you guys think of megaman unlimited? I found the zero cameo amazing

>> No.941228

>>941197
>Also what did you guys think of megaman unlimited?

I still haven't beaten it. Been stuck at Wily's 2nd form and just found out that apparently it's not the end of the game yet

I really like it so far. Great level design, feels classic while being more difficult which I like but still fair enough. I like how they were inspired by MM9 a lot.

>> No.941242

>>941197
>SNES zero
it's really out of place

>> No.941340

>>941123
This explains the shipping and art I've seen.

>> No.941567

>>941175

>/vr/ apparently already making a Mega Man game

Shit. I was hoping I coulda got something going.

>>941168

I wasn't think of Mischief Makers at the time I made the boss, although I have played the game before. I hope the similarities aren't too damning.

>> No.941592

>>941567
Who says we still can't?
Pin Man, Radio/Short/Sine Man, we should do some shit.

>> No.941607
File: 45 KB, 476x310, Mega Man HD.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>941592

I don't think making the graphics would be a problem for me at all, since I made all those tiles in a flash. Same for bosses. If need be, I could single-handedly do all the graphics myself. Where the problem is, is that I can't program for beans. And I know programmers are hostile to artists since they don't want to be exploited and since programming is a difficult job. So I'm not quite sure how far it could go. But hey, find a willing programmer and I'll show you a guy who could do ALL of the game's art assets in as little as five or six months.

Also, HD Mega Man for shits and giggles.

>> No.941613

>>941607
Well, from an art perspective, I really want to see a Mega Man 7 style fangame, not a 1-6 9-10 style one.

>> No.941623

>>941613

To be honest, so do I! But if we're considering this I don't want pie-in-the-sky apple pie hopes, and the "retro" angle is the easiest route. If we were to use graphics on the level of that Mega Man I just scaled up, that'd probably be closer to two years, and I'd need some help from another artist or two.

>> No.941684

>>941613
Amen, 7 had gorgeous sprites and it's retarded to ignore that because purists didn't like a bit of a change. 7 is as good as any NES one.

>> No.941695

>>941607
I'm a programmer with experience on actual retro consoles, but I'm not interested in making a fangame (I'd rather actually make something I can own). Those threads were interesting to watch.

>> No.941718
File: 440 B, 24x24, metal_doctor_man.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>926492
A color change turns him into a doctor. How cool is that? Not cool at all.

>> No.941721

>>941684
The style is fine, overall. I could have dealt with less pink and purple in the stages, but that's a minor gripe.

It's not great as a Mega Man game, though. Way too easy (until the final boss), only a few weapons are fun and useful, and splitting up the Robot Masters into groups of four really takes replayability out of the game.

Now, what I'd like to see is a MM7-style port of The Wily Wars.

>> No.941728

>>941684
Oh, and the music of MM7 is good, too, aside from a few tracks. Basically, Spring Man is my least favorite thing about that game. Shitty stage, shitty music, ugly design, stupid weapon... fuck. I hate Spring Man.

>> No.941730

>>941695

Fair enough. Fangames take a lot of time, ultimately for something that isn't really refreshing since most fangames are based on long-running franchises.

>>941721

This is a problem that started with MM4-5. Weird colors all next to each other, like a dark pink with green in Knight Man's stage or a really strong blue and then light pink in "Dr. X"'s stages. I don't mean to sound like a purist, but that's why I like the backgrounds from the first two MM games more. Muted, textured, pushing Mega Man to the front and not competing with big shiny blocks just underneath and around him.

>> No.941738

>>941592
I think a lot of fangames have a tendency to use similar ideas for bosses. We should try and go for some more unique ideas.

>> No.941750
File: 641 KB, 1672x1112, Eight Boss Doodles.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>941738

I agree. If you have any ideas, lay it on me, I can whip up a drawing in as little as ten to fifteen minutes. Here, I even designed a few last night. Not saying any of these are good, just to brainstorm. But I did already have a concept of an Olympic like event happening only for Wily to be a dick and ruin shit. Again. So Mega Man would fight uh, eight bosses relating to sports. MMBN's Grid Man can be fashioned into a classic boss easily. Joust Man represents an older event, but heck, it could work. Then some other guys representing sports and events and bam.

>> No.941778
File: 2.88 MB, 253x436, MM7.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>941728
>Oh, and the music of MM7 is good
MAH NIGGA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m67bPsY2nhY

>> No.941790

>>941750
I personally like the idea of Mirror Man, and think it could make for a neat stage and fight.

>> No.941791
File: 97 KB, 846x359, comparison.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>941728
>>941684
>>941613

Yup, I love MM7s look, the game is pretty fun too.

The whole sprite size argument is blown totally out of proportion. People make it sound like Rock takes up a third of the field. I swear it's all in their heads. 7 plays identical to 1-6, open them both up and try it. I did this a few years ago, and what surprised me was that when 6 and 7 ran side by side, it played identical, jumping, shooting, sliding... all matched. Yet when I closed MM6's window, 7 started feeling "off" again. The entire thing argument is because MM7's look plays tricks on the eyes, but it's actually identical.

And another thing is people say 7 is cramped. So which one in the picture looks more spacious? I'm not asking about the sprites, look at the space. I think most complaints about MM7 are way over exaggerated.

>> No.941805

>>941778
That ending was so fucking satisfying,megaman finally snapped

>> No.941847
File: 459 KB, 1098x1818, scan0004.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Just a quick, dirty sketch of an RM idea I had a while back. The lantern would leave a shower of flame behind it as it travels up or down.

>> No.941849

>>941805
>finally snapped
>finally
he was always like that

>> No.941865

>>941847

Good idea for a weapon, good groundwork for a boss pattern, but make the master a man. Splash Woman was something special and should be kept that way. To add a little more dynamism, maybe have the cone cocked at an angle behind their head.

>> No.941907

Damn it, I've got more, but now my scanner has gone full retard.

>> No.941915
File: 507 KB, 1056x1581, scan0001.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

There we go.

>> No.941918
File: 317 KB, 1427x677, Lantern Man, Artist Unknown.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>941865

Drew some stuff to show what I mean, and what else could be done.

>> No.941921

>>941915

I really like this one. How would the bossfight go?

>> No.941924

>>941918
The middle one's not bad, I think. Maybe just go for an Air Man-style eyes-at-the-top-of-the-body thing.

>> No.941937

>>941921
Time your shots as he pulses the shield on and off, dodge return fire, or overload his shields temporarily with enough fire. His weakness would be something that the repulsor ignores, perhaps some kind of melee attack.

>> No.941973

>>941849
No. He never considered killing Wily. That was an entirely new development.

Inb4 "DIE WILY" was never said. He still threatened Wily and considered it in the Japanese version.

>> No.941975

>>941918
Bottom left is too cool to be a robot master, but not too cool to be a "Lantern Joe" or something.

>> No.941982

>>941915
Idea for Target Man He throws a target somewhere in the room that attracts your bullet fire away from him.

You know the old cliche, you can't aim away from a big shiny target.

>> No.942002

>>941915

The idea of a barrier/deflective boss is decent, but some may groan at another shield power, even if it does deflect projectiles. Also, Target Man is very close to Crystal Man in appearance. Mess around with the proportions a bit and see what else you get, anything exciting.

Also, I made a list. Pick a name that interests you most and I'll make a robot master based on it...

Aero
Carpet (carpet bombing)
Cotton
Rink
Tug
Feather
Shogun
Cloak
Javelin
Paddle
Hammer
Cycle
Dunk
Luge

>> No.942017

>>941982
Whatever special weapon he is weak against would be immune to that target pull. And also you could do additional damage by positioning yourself with him between yourself and the target. That would make for a really unique boss battle.

>> No.942018
File: 582 KB, 1440x960, High-quality_lens_flare_rendering.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>942002
Lens Man
He looks kinda like Mercury, only shorter and just glassy in general.
The weapon you get is a lens flare, literally. It's a projectile that bursts when it hits something, sending out twin streams of hexagons and whatnot in a random direction

>> No.942041

>>942017
Ah, hadn't thought about that. Maybe the barrier is a flat wall that projects in front of and behind him with juuuust enough room for Mega Man to stand inside (or jump up into) and wail on him. His weakness could then be something that hits him from above or below, which I've already designed, coincidentally.

>> No.942164
File: 495 KB, 1331x1213, Olympic Masters.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Bleh. First pass or not, they're all so boring.

>> No.942172

>>942164
Masters that all have a similar theme can be fun. I kind of liked the multicultural robots of MM6 and the Stardroids of MMV.

>> No.942174

>>942041
Sounds kind of like the Darkman Prime fight.

>> No.942185
File: 502 KB, 1002x1219, scan0002.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Here's my new version of Lantern Man. I really liked the image of the straw hat and cheongsam together, but I see that it doesn't translate well to a Robot Master. (I'm still personally fine with introducing more (Blank) Women, but that's a tangent.) This one, I think, has the right mix of character and simplicity to work in an NES-style MM game. I'm not a great artist and I know it, so let me know how the design might be improved rather than coach me on technique.

>>942164
Digging Hammer Man. Dunk Man could be alright, but you should change the number on his jersey to 8, so it mirrors properly. I'm not quite sure what's going on with his shoulders, either, the little protrusions.

>No Grapple Man to represent wrestling
Come on, how awesome would a suplex weapon be? "PAYBACK FOR COLLISION DAMAGE, MOTHERFUCKERS!"

>> No.942206

>>942185

I think that's much better.

>> No.942218
File: 146 KB, 535x898, SkullEXE.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

MMBN's redesigns are really underrated. One of the best parts about the series was how cool they made (almost) everybody look.

>> No.942228

>>942185
>dislikes the number 4
>I recently finished Sleeping Dogs
>I geddit

>> No.942234

>>942228
Shit's unlucky, man.

>> No.942251

>>942218

Oh they're fantastic designs. It also means that to stay in the classic style, the boss designs have to be pretty evened out in their proportions. I'm sure if it was allowed earlier, we'd see more designs in the MMBN vein in a heartbeat. I'm surprised no one's made a hack yet where they restyled the other bosses. I'm Junk, Burst, and Spring Man could stand to have great redesigns in a simple hack, I don't know.

>> No.942305

>>942185
If you're going to have a like and dislike, he needs a good point and a bad point too.

>> No.942326
File: 409 KB, 1243x1120, scan0006.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My scanner has gone full retard tonight. It refuses to scan everything else I wrote under the illustration.

"A bodyguard turned bank robber to fund his master's crime spree. Find his hideout and bring him down!"

Good point: Very observant
Bad point: Can be reckless.

>>942305
Good Point: Fun at parties.
Bad Point: Bumps into others often.

>> No.942330

>>942326
Now that I've drawn it and colored it... I don't like it much anymore. It just doesn't look right. I'll probably try another design in the near future. My hand's cramped up now, can't do much else.

>> No.942338
File: 40 KB, 434x652, WindEXE[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>942218

Agreed. The art direction for MMBN is exceptionally good even outside of Mega Man standards.

>> No.942343
File: 160 KB, 695x691, ZXTunes_CDCover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>942338
>even outside of Mega Man standards.
Are you insinuating that Mega Man has poor art direction?

>> No.942348

>>942343
I think he means to say that Mega Man already has excellent art direction, but Battle Network really takes it to the next level.

>> No.942353

>>942343

Not at all! I meant to say that MMBN's art direction holds up well even on its own without prior reference.

>> No.942378

Would Roll count as a Robot Master?

>> No.942391
File: 5 KB, 150x150, 6a00d83420090153ef00e5506cf5448833-150wi.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Metal Man M.D.

>> No.942395

>>942378
No, she's a household robot.

>> No.943149

>>942378
Robot masters have rule over lesser drones in a stage. We have no reason to think Roll has control over any minions. Although she does probably guilt Auto and Doctor Light into cleaning up after themselves.

>> No.943224

Classic>Zero>X>Legends>BN>>>Xover

>> No.943257

>>943224
Xover is part of the X series

>> No.943293

>>943257
No it isn't. Xover is a new hero. And it's allegedly some bullshit "all series combined" timeline.

>> No.943436

>>943257
>Xover
>X over
>X is over

>> No.943543

>>926492
>tfw no megaman 11

>> No.943868

>>941778
I first played MM7 on the Anniversary Collection which removed that part so I didn't know about it until I replayed the game on an emulator just this year. I like that that there's so much stuff to collect, or at least it seems like that.

>> No.943929

>>941192
Who are you and how we can contact you? i am from the team BTW.

>> No.943949

>>943868
I HATE that they cut that amazing outro. That's almost as unforgivable as not letting Gamecube users correct the button assignment.

>> No.944013

moga men ! ! !

>> No.945178

Ooh, how about this.

Who'd win in these fights?

Quick Man vs Crash Man
Strike Man vs Burst Man
Charge Man vs Ring Man
Shadow Man vs Pharoah Man
Guts Man vs Centaur Man

think of their attack patterns

>> No.945232

>>945178
>Quick Man vs Crash Man
Quick Man is one of the biggest threats Megaman has faced if you buy into comic and manga canon. Crash Man is dangerous, but Quick Man is in another league.

>> No.945247

>>932824
Wily Wars did that, but then Capcom made more games.

>> No.945253

Drill Man

>> No.945287

I like Quick Man the most. I read something about him being considered as a more major character and sort of rival for Megaman initially, which might have been pretty cool.

>> No.945531

>>945287
It was probably Megamix or the Archie comics. In both he's quite the badass.

>> No.945723

>>943929
I'm still a nobody but I can show some of my MM5 level design stuff (work in progress though but still) if you're interested.

my e mail is in email field

>> No.945914

>>945178
>Quick Man vs. Crash Man
Quick Man's got this. His agility is absolutely monstrous.
>Strike Man vs. Burst Man
I want to go with Burst Man, just because I think he'd be the underdog. The Danger Wrap was really effective the way he used it.
>Charge Man vs. Ring Man
I think I have to give this to Charge Man. With that period of invincibility he can go into, he's eventually going to catch the more agile Ring Man in a corner and crush him.
>Shadow Man vs. Pharoah Man
Whoever wins, we lose, because nothing cooler will ever happen ever again.
>Guts Man vs Centaur Man
Fuck a Centaur Man. Guts Man's got this. Those little hooves aren't gonna hold up against a barrage of quake stomps and boulders.

Galaxy Man vs. Tengu Man
Tomahawk Man vs. Gyro Man
Wood Man vs. Slash Man
Elec Man vs. Hard Man

>> No.946074

This might not be the correct thread to ask but.
I got megaman 3 recently and i was wondering, whats the "best" or "right" order to kill them, or what do you prefer and what is weak against what?

>> No.946151

>>945914
>Galaxy Man vs. Tengu Man
Galaxy Man has his black hole, which could probably disarm Tengu Man.

>Tomahawk Man vs. Gyro Man
Tomahawk Man could probably take Gyro Man.

>Wood Man vs. Slash Man
Slash Man probably has this.

>Elec Man vs. Hard Man
I'm not sure if Elec Man would have any effect on Hard Man...

>> No.946156

>>946074
If you're hardcore enough, start with Needle Man. He's a little tricky, but it's worth it since the Needle Cannon will give you a substantial boost in firepower.

Needle Man > Top Man > Shadow Man > Spark Man > Magnet Man > Hard Man > Snake Man > Gemini Man > Needle Man

Top Man's the easiest boss by far, but the Top Spin is widely considered the worst weapon EVER for good reasons, and you'll only ever find use for it against Shadow Man and the final boss. If you can't handle Needle Man, just get Top Man's bullshit out of the way.

>> No.946162

>>946156
That said, I think part of the fun of Mega Man games is that you can try playing through the Robot Masters again using a different order, or just trying different weapons.

Shadow Blade is a great weapon, and it works well against several bosses, making Shadow Man another good early boss. Shadow Man is probably the most difficult Robot Master in the game, though. Do give him a try with your buster if you want a challenge.

>> No.946406

>>946156
Top Spin isn't a bad weapon, it's a finicky one. It kills off most enemies really quickly, and it makes Shadow Man a really easy fight. But man, it is a really tough weapon to use.

Now Power Stone, that is a bad weapon. Hard to use, does about the same damage as your Buster, and just overall isn't worth using.

>> No.946449

>>945178
Ran the whole thing through a randomizer, this is what I got:
Nitro Man vs. Pluto
Crash Man vs. Charge Man
Toad Man vs. Top Man
Needle Man vs. Fire Man

>> No.946953

>>946449
Pluto
Charge Man
Mutual Destruction
Needle Man

>> No.947140

>>946449
Needle Man spends most of his time off the ground shooting down. Fireman is toast.

>> No.947152

>>946156
>Top Spin is widely considered the worst weapon EVER
By the foolish. Although the drain glitch does suck.

>> No.948273
File: 201 KB, 930x889, Bass vs Quickman.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

OP here, drew this

Given the fact that MM2 bosses have a short invincibility period compared to other games, and that Quick Man is already vulnerable to the Mega Buster, there's no way in hell he's getting away from Bass' buster.

S.O.L.

>> No.948442

>>948273
Nice. Never enough OC.

>> No.948491

>>948273
Has anyone ever hacked any of the NES Mega Man games just to make Bass or Protoman playable complete with their abilities?

>> No.948508

>>948491
There is at least those but only the one with Protoman keeps the original stages

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/164/
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/210/
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/9/
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/861/

>> No.948907
File: 1.07 MB, 2619x1734, janfeb.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Oh hey, this thread's still here. Have some Yuusuke Murata art.

>> No.949287

>>948907

Well, that pretty much beats anything Mega Man related that I could draw, hahah. Goddamn, he got everyone in. After googling, I recognized him as the Eyeshield 21 author, and I loved how that manga was drawn. Really cool of him to do this.

>> No.949338

>>948907
I've never used a desktop theme for YEARS now, rather using a bland black background; but this just made me change my mind

>> No.949380
File: 17 KB, 57x57, datface.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>948907
>all dat story

>> No.949419

>>948907
It's... beautiful.

>> No.949431

>>948907

>Junkman is being pulled towards Magnetman.

>Springman laughing at the Wily copy with the spring head

>Slashman and Pluto dueling

>Nitroman and Chargeman staring each other down

>Centaurman is a constellation

>Oilman being burned comically

The details and interactions in this are awesome. What a great piece of work.

>> No.949457

>>948907
>Skull Man and Pharaoh Man erupting from the grave

>Sword Man and Blade Man dueling

>Burner Man siphoning fuel from the Guts Tank

>The honorable samurai Yamato Man battles the treacherous ninja Shadow Man

I want to buy the artist a beer and steak.

>> No.949765

>>948907
>Cutman trying to sheer Sheepman

>Snakeman chasing Toadman

>Shadowman using Woodman for that ninja replacement technique

>Diveman blushing at Splashwoman

>Darkman wearing that unconvincing Protoman mask

>> No.949790

>>949457

shadowman is apparently using woodman as his body "replacement"

brightman is blinding gemini and flashman, and one other guy

all the astrological bosses are mesmerized by the fake alien wily

all the electrical bosses are getting zapped by lightning

I dont recognize about 10 of these guys

>> No.949807

>>949790
>and one other guy
Jewel Man

>I dont recognize about 10 of these guys
There are some basic robots in the mix. For example, I think the MM3 Wily Stage junk robot is crawling out of Dust Man.

>> No.950724
File: 254 KB, 1378x531, A Few.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

OP again

Got bored and drew these. If you want to draw your own interpretations, I recommend just going off the sprite and winging it, compared to looking at the polished official art that came later on.

>> No.950739

>>948907
Who's that boxy robot between Crash Man and Napalm Man?

>> No.950741

>>950739

Commando Man (MM10)

>> No.950747

>>948907
I don't see Junkman or King. I'm probably just not noticing them though.

>> No.950934

>>950747
King is atop the Wily Castle right over the logo.

Junk Man is being magnetized to Magnet Man right in front of Gamma's mouth.

>> No.950950
File: 837 KB, 842x1018, Groundman.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

you ever notice how the robot masters started turning more.. transformer-y starting in Mega Man 5?

Mega Man and Bass was the apex of that, then with Mega Man 9 they went back to simpler ideas.

>> No.950959

>>950950
Well, yes. The graphics in general became more detailed around MM4, but even more so in MM5. With the transition to 16- and 32-bit platforms, the very simple designs of the 8-bit games (even the detailed ones of 5 and 6) simply wouldn't be visually interesting, Therefore, you see more doodads, accent pieces, and mechanical parts.

Obviously, with MM9 and 10 being meant to emulate the appearance of NES games, simpler designs were necessary, and I think to appeal to fans there was a deliberate decision to use designs more similar to those of MM2 and 3 to appeal to long-time fans.

Personally, I feel the designs of MM4 and 9 are the real sweet spots. Both are clean and easily interpreted even in the low resolution of the NES, yet have just enough detail to be really memorable and interesting.

>> No.950961

>>950959
>Personally, I feel the designs of MM4 and 9 are the real sweet spots. Both are clean and easily interpreted even in the low resolution of the NES, yet have just enough detail to be really memorable and interesting.

Agreed, I would even say that overall MM4 and 9 are the best classic ones

>> No.951050
File: 608 KB, 580x820, QT.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>950961
what I dislike about 9 is that a lot of the designs are very unoriginal.

Tornado Man - Quick Man
Magma Man - Napalm Man
Jewel Man - Star Man
Galaxy Man - Astro Man
Concrete Man - Stone Man

It just felt so uninspired compared to past designs.

>> No.951276
File: 6 KB, 352x45, Dimensions.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Let's not forget about The Dimensions: everyone's favorite obscure megaman spinoff bosses!

>> No.951930
File: 282 KB, 776x879, 1235353177806.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>951050
More like:

Tornado Man - Sage Harpuia
Splash Woman - Fairy Leviathan

But really the reason they are all comparable is because this is a return to the old style and they HAD to be or else they wouldn't look like the NES classics. When you spend that many years away from a series you have to go back to basics or fans would tear it apart for NOT looking like it's supposed to.

Besides, several of those characters are already redundant.

Napalm Man = Needle Man
Stone Man = Guts Man
etc.

>> No.951986
File: 2.73 MB, 240x135, laheydrinking.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>951276
No. Let's forget.

>> No.953109

>>951050
Magma Man is Needle Man on fire.
Jewel Man's face looks more like Top Man, he doesn't have much in common with Star Man other than the shield weapon.

>> No.953625

>>951276
What even is this?

>> No.953630

>>953625
It's a WonderSwan-exclusive MM&B-style game with shitty bosses and a similar "you can't fight all the Robot Masters at the start" layout.

>> No.954280
File: 69 KB, 512x1152, tumblr_mqv2kcpmG31s04125o1_1280.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>941175
Still being made

>> No.954310

>>954280
Do you need level designer? I'm good at making classic style stages. I'm currently making a romhack for MM5 here is a MSPaint'd screenshots of one of the stages I made (can't post it here because it's too big) : http://postimg.org/image/tstbkf153/full/

my e-mail is in the email field

I'm also a composer and I'm planning on making musics for my romhack too, so I might be able to help on that too if you need (although apparently you already have composers with experience while I don't have 8-bit music composing experience YET; initially i planned to start getting into that once i'm done with the stages which should be relatively soon since i've made 10 stages so far)

This knight-man like stage you're showing doesn't seem that interesting level design wise and I'm sure you (we?) could come up with better stuff; but it's hard to tell without seeing the enemies though.

>> No.954375

>>954310
If you have Skype, send a contact request to "codelimit".

>> No.954405

>>954310
>>954375
I'm trying to say, yes, you'd be a great help.

>> No.956856

>>954280
Needs more pits. Might be good if filled with creative and difficult enemies, but I don't think that's enough opportunities to die.

>> No.956898

>>948508
I'm new to rom hacking. how do I open these roms?

>> No.956915

>>956898
It's not a ROM, it's an IPS patch. Get Lunar IPS, and apply the patch to whatever Megaman ROM the patch is for.

>> No.956959

>>946406
Oh yeah, after playing 5 again I realized I really hate that weapon. You miss with it and you're wide in the open plus it's really easy to miss with too. I took out Charge Man with the buster since power stone is so unreliable.

>> No.956974

>>948907
If you check the credits you can see that he did the designs for Dust Man and Crystal Man. He certainly raised my opinion of those two.

>> No.957050

>>956974
Oh? That's pretty cool actually.

>> No.957143

>>956959
Not to mention even if you hit, you'll rarely if ever get all three hit in anyway.

>> No.958087

>>956974
That and his name shows up in the special thanks section of the credits of Megaman3. Chance are he submitted a designs for 3 but it didn't win. He was 12 years old when his name first appeared in MM3's credits and when his design showed up in MM4. He was 24 when he made his big pro debut with Eyeshield 21.

>> No.958261

>>958087
He's the author of Eyeshield 21? That is just fantastic. I loved that manga.

>> No.958275

>>958261
Oh yeah, I think most of the kids who won the design contests ended up working in art and animation.

>> No.960718

rokku man

>> No.961648

>>945723
Tell Me More Dude, sorry i didnt visit this thread in days

>> No.961779
File: 19 KB, 471x261, pccd_s.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Mega Man 1 & 3 PC masters need some love guys.

>> No.962193

>>961648
i've already contacted the MM VR team, i've been a little busy lately but i'll see if i can help in a way AT LEAST make one stage or a one music

it seems that you have a lot of people involved

>> No.962227
File: 715 KB, 250x196, youcannotbeseriousinyourassertationcanyou.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>961779

>> No.962345

>>960718

>rocker man
>fights using awesome guitar riffs

Make it happen.

>> No.962439 [DELETED] 

>>962345
Megaman is already Rock themed. It would be kind of confusing to blur that further.

>> No.962445

>>962345
Rock man vs. Rocker man? You're off your rocker, man!

>> No.963645

>>962345
I had an idea for a robot master who was essentially a giant guitar who played with himself to fight in a similar fashion

>> No.963667

>>962227
Hey, I think 1 and 3PC, if given an NES style remake, could be a pretty solid game.

That should totally be the other Mega Man /vr/ project.

>> No.963717

>>941123
>Shadow the Deviantart
furry pls go

>> No.963725

>>941750
>joust man
breddy gud
>march man
seriously?

>> No.963726

Flash Man is my favorite, no contest.

>> No.963994

>>963667
They would have to be fundamentally remade. Even the boss sprites are just knock offs of NES sprites. It would probably be easier to just make a fresh game than salvage those.

I'm not sure anybody has fond enough memories of either to see the need.

>> No.964076
File: 976 KB, 350x263, 59088-Why-dont-we-have-both-gif-qokB[1].gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>963667
Better idea: NES style remake, but combine the two games into one.

>> No.964159

>>963994
I know there are 8-bit versions of the RMs from that game, made for MM8BDM, as well as some of the tiles having been remade for the same. If someone actually decided to create an NES version -- why the hell they would do that I don't know -- they could probably use those if they asked the people who made them.

>> No.964360
File: 47 KB, 261x248, 1372560415705.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>964159
MM8BDM remade the PC masters before they added MM9 and 10? Seriously?

>> No.964373

>>964159
When I say "fundamentally remade" I'm not just talking about the robot master sprites. Their stages, the levels, the basic enemies, many things about those games are very un-Megaman-y. A few of the levels are laid out like mazes instead of the linear progression we're accustomed to. Also, the swimming.

It's a very unusual situation, and most of that would need some serious revision before it would make sense to remake, demake or upmake it. Whichever is the case. At that point, you'd probably have to evaluate if you really are remaking the same game or just an all new adventure starring robot masters who share names and slightly similar looks to the PC masters.

>> No.964380
File: 290 KB, 500x497, 17a.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>tfw the only NES things you'll ever see about Mega Man are Japanese hacks that make Bubble Man jump around like Crash Man while Kirby Boss music plays
>tfw the Mega Man fanbase isn't as autistic as the Sonic fanbase to make games for the original systems, instead aspiring to make everything with babby's first tools

>> No.964390

>>964380
>tfw
>sadfrog
>complaining about pointless shit
You seem to be on the wrong board.

>> No.964408

>>964390
>the NES is a retro console
>games made for it, even newer homebrew games, are appropriate for /vr/
>Mega Man fangames need gaming PCs from the future in order to run
>they get a free pass because BUT MUH OLD NINTENDER GAEMS

>> No.964419

>>964408
What Megaman fangame needs gaming PC's from the future? 99% of them are 8-bit retro style that probably only require the resources of a Windows 95 era PC.

Pointless. Shit.

>> No.964428

>>964419
Saddening when a console from 1983 that runs at 1.78 MHz can run the same games better than computers who are exponentially more powerful.

>> No.964438

>>964428
>better
Yeah, sure do miss that screenflicker and slowdown. Authenticity is overrated. There's no reason teams should be coding in assembly to make functionally inferior games for a smaller market of gamers than the PC allows in this day and age.

>> No.964490

>>964360
Not officially, a fan expansion that began before MM7 was even done. It's still doesn't have the maps done; there isn't much interest in making maps based off the PC games.

>>964373
Oh, you mean making a new game entirely based off the original, not just a straight remake? Yeah, I can understand the difficulty in that.

>> No.964542
File: 15 KB, 480x360, Bubble_Man_Hyadain.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>941123
Unlimited Napalm Works

Bubble Man is best Robot by far.

That stage, that background music, that audacity in weaponizing bubbles.
In video game physics, how could the robotic Lord of Water not dominate the machines?

You gonna get bubble'd

>> No.964593
File: 67 KB, 1000x700, 1291099386629.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>941718
I'm not a dentist

>> No.965050
File: 388 KB, 640x480, X8.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

hey

>> No.965219

>>964380
You've missed the good hacks then. There is plenty of shitty hacks but if you look hard enough there is plenty of good ones too. Check this one out for example which was released recently :
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1300/

or you can also check the obvious classics like Minus Infinity :
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/910/

>>964438
Sure on PC you have more freedom of creation more easily and the big advantage is that there you will never have slowdowns or flickering like on NES; but to me 8-bit Mega Man is meant to be played on NES. Romhacks can be played on the original hardware, fan made PC games can't. Hell some fan made PC games like the MM7 demake don't even have gamepad support natively and you have to use joy2key or another program ! What a fucking joke.... PC MM games aren't even 8-bit they are "8-bit style" and I'm pretty sure some of them "cheat" by for example having structure tables bigger than what you could have on NES. You could also call an advantage though, but to me working with the original limits is the point of it. You're doing it for real, not a "mockup" for PC; and again at least your work can be played on the original hardware.
and also MM fan games made for the NES don't use assembly, they're romhacks using programs and hex editing. There was only two teams that wanted to create MM fan games from scratch for the NES but both got scrapped very early on during development; as in essence it's not any harder than creating a fan game for PC.

MM9 and 10 could be re-created to be played on NES though, recently somebody released a romhack for MM4 using tons of MM9's graphics and it looks perfect.

>> No.965393

>>965219
I consider making the game run-able on an actual NES going above and beyond. If a team wants to show that level of dedication, good for them. But it is by no means required and I wouldn't be one of the people bitching and moaning that it isn't. That's just unreasonable to expect out of the average team.

>> No.965397

i wish there would be a huge picture with a chart that shows in wich order to take on the stages! i forget the right orders all the time

>> No.965409

>>965397
Don't consult charts! Experiment! At least on your first time through. If you don't want to bother in the future after you've discovered them for yourself I guess that's another matter.

Really, there's no "right" order anyways.

>> No.965418

>>965393
My point is, it's not really that harder to make a MM fan game as a romhack than as a PC game. You don't need to learn assembly. You still have a LOT of freedom once you learn hex editing and the various easy to learn programs there are out there;

The advangate of PC games is that they are more easily smooth and lag free and that you can "cheat" the game design by going beyond the NES system limits, the advantage of romhacks is that they are more faithful and can be played on the original system.

I like it best when it can be played on the original system but I totally understand why one would chose making it for PC and I don't dismiss them.

in the end whether it's in romhacks or on PC there is both crappy and great fan games on both sides.

I also disagree with you saying that you get more players and attention when it's made on PC. It all depends on the quality of the end product: romhacks like Minus Infinity got tons more popularity than fan games like "that one series where you play as a Metool which i can't even remember the name"