[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 161 KB, 654x556, mechapwn.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9211256 No.9211256 [Reply] [Original]

So I decided to repair my PS2 fat lens by replacing it with one I bought off ali and install picrel so I can play PS1 backup games, but my ps2's behavior regarding reading discs is pretty weird. It only reads 'em if they're already inside the drive while powering on, what could be causing this? Do you recommend me to just buy another lens? Also, the PS1 games didn't work.
PS2 Modding thread?

>> No.9211407
File: 1.20 MB, 1280x720, file.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9211256
the position indicator switch is oxidized and must be cleaned. Because PS2 drives always return to the 0 position when it starts, it knows where to begin reading if powered on. However if it is already powered on, the drive sled contacts the position switch and due to oxidization is not completing the circuit to indicate it is activated, so it continues to retry until it receives the feedback that it is in the 0 position. Since this is a fat PS2, you will probably find the position switch in the red circle. What you can do is while covering the lens, spray some contact cleaner on it and actuate the switch a handful of times, at least 5, doing it more does not hurt. If you don't have contact cleaner, alcohol may work if you drip some into it, it must get inside and actuation of the switch makes the contacts inside it touch and complete the circuit, the process of them touching removes built up oxidization. While you're in there, cleaning and lubing the rails with new WL grease is a good idea, as well as polishing the lens with a alcohol wet q-tip, and cleaning it off with the dry side.

>> No.9211525

>>9211407
Thanks anon! Do you know where is the position indicator switch in a 50001 though? The one in your pic is kind of different from mine; mine has only two screws holding the drive case and it holds on the rails with a metal clip instead of screws. But anyway I guess a video speaks louder than my description lol
My ps2 is like the one no this video: https://youtu.be/lwzQAZFVnmE

>> No.9211725

>>9211407
Based knowledgeable poster who answered the question in detail.

>> No.9212974

>>9211407
How do PS2 drives always return to the 0 position when it starts if the position indicator switch is oxidized and not working?

>> No.9213216
File: 31 KB, 650x495, evangelion expert flanks wakfu fan.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9212974
it exercises the motor and as part of the boot up sequence the 0 position is assumed to be met by the disc drive controller, there exists other feedback mechanisms to determine this, but if you power on a PS2 while the drive is open and the laser sled is out of position you will see it return to the 0 position. I've seen some fail to hit position and the drive struggles to figure out what is going on with the disc.

>>9211525
There exists variations even between the same number, however it is either located on the laser module or at the closest point to the spindle. Switch can either be swinging switches or plungers but it's mostly the swinging ones. They're usually two solder joints, a brown encasement and a black switch and look very inconspicuous so take your time to try and spot them.

>> No.9213916

>>9213216
>i don't know what im talkiing about. im an esl spewing bullshit

>> No.9215749

>>9213216
Yeah, I think I spotted mine. Can't take a picture rn and I guess the thread's gonna get prun'd soon. I cleaned it and actuated the switch more than times. It seems it didn't work. In your experience, my problem is 100% caused by the actuator switch? Or do you think something else is at fault?