[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 2.83 MB, 1000x1480, dds4991-a594c847-2ebe-466d-bf14-42cdf48742df.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9190638 No.9190638 [Reply] [Original]

Honestly why are folks so nostalgic about this one as opposed to Yoshi's Island? Don't get me wrong it was alright for the time, but it isn't as great as everyone is making it out to be.

>gets modded and kaizo shit is made of it all the time
>everyone mentions it constantly
>today the amazing atheist went on a rant with some bimbo about how pissed they were when Mario went 3D.

I honestly don't get why the prop this game up on a pedestal over Yoshi's island.
Albiet it was released six years later it had
>more interesting artstyle
>better ost
>way more interesting mechanics
>better atmosphere
>more enemy variety
Yet everyone mods the shit out of SMW.

>> No.9190641

>>9190638
>today the amazing atheist went on a rant with some bimbo about how pissed they were when Mario went 3D.
What the fuck am I reading.

>> No.9190661

>>9190638
I like both a lot

>> No.9190664

SMW is overall more versatile (basic platforming on the surface with a ton of nuances) and also has the branching overworld/multiple exits going for it. When you hack SMW you're given a ton of freedom, Yoshi's Island is far more limited.

>> No.9190676

>>9190664
how so? Yoshi's island seemed way more versatile

>> No.9190687

Egg aiming

>> No.9190693

>>9190676

Off the top of my head, SMW has:

>Actual underwater levels
>Four different Yoshis with different abilities
>Cape
>Actual powerups unlike the transformations in Yoshi's Island which are all timed and made for specific obstacles
>The spinjump
>A bunch of hold items such as keys, Blue P-Switches, Silver P-Switches, Shells, etc, that can be thrown in any direction
>Climbing

Meanwhile Yoshi can eat enemies, throw eggs and ground pound. His transformations are neat but cumbersome to work into a hack due to their timed nature.

>> No.9190796
File: 53 KB, 1244x700, E2KGZGpoXxcpoSwAsRUaCS.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9190638
It's probably easier to mod in general. There's also a lot of cool SMW2-themed SMW hacks. As for why people are nostalgic for it, that's easy. It was the best selling title for SNES and sold as a pack-in just like DKC. SMW2 didn't get the pack-in treatment until much later on when most people already had an SNES.

SMW is pretty much the perfect "baby's first platformer" because of how basic it is, it was literally the first game a lot of us played. You could also make the case that SMW is a Mario game and Yoshi's Island was a Yoshi game, and that's why it doesn't get brought up as much. I like both but for different reasons.

>> No.9190885

>>9190638
Yoshi’s Island is a great game but it barely resembles the old Super Mario Bros games on NES. Super Mario World is obviously their direct descendant. I belive in Japan it was called Super Mario Brothers 4.

Yoshi’s Island is a 2 dimensional collectathon at heart. It can be played as a linear game, but to really get everything it has to offer requires the player to explore and try to get all the red coins, flowers and enough stars to finish the level at 100% and unlock bonus levels. Every level has many things to do on the side. Puzzles to solve, difficult platforming, enemies to fight and secret paths in the name of collecting these items. Yoshi doesn’t really move like Mario, with different jumping, momentum, the toungue attack and of course the egg throwing. The powerups are different and the whole crying mario in a bubble thing when you take damage is like nothing the system in the old NES games.

Super Mario World is a step in that collecting and exploration direction, but it still feels more connected to its roots. Powerups, Mario’s movement, attacks and the way he takes damage are all instantly recognizable from old games to even a casual player. There is definitely more exploration/collecting here than previous games in the series mostly involving mutiple level exits and dragon coins. The latter ends up being mostly useless as the only give the player 1ups. In Yoshi’s Island the equivalent to Dragon Coins is required to totally win the game.

Furthermore in my opinion Yoshi’s Island seems to take mostly from Mario 2 USA with its shy guys and bandits resembling old enemies, which is a nice change of pace but further alienates the game from the “mainline” series. I would say the Wario Land series has more in common with Yoshis Island’s mechanics than it does the Mario Bros games. I’m not sure which SNES game I prefer but I know Yoshi’s Story on N64 was infantile dogshit with easy boring gameplay.

>> No.9191057

>>9190638
They're both great games but they're both very different games. That's like asking why someone is nostalgic for Mario instead of Donkey Kong. They're both extremely different games and the reality is that most of us love both.

>> No.9191080

>Morton Koopa Jr. of Castle #2 is now just a memory.
I love this quote and I'm often fond of borrowing the expression "X is now just a memory."

>> No.9191083

>>9190638
>as opposed to Yoshi's Island?
Because Super Mario World, in the same manner as all the previous Mario before it, is focusing on making it interesting and fun to get from point A to point B: it's an obstacle course, straigh to the point, no extra fat, no nonsense.

On the other hand, going through Yoshi Island in a straight line is absolutely uninteresting, and going for the 100% completion is nothing but a chore.

And judging by your list, you can't figure anything beyond surface level stuff.

>> No.9191085

99% of people who owned a Snes has played SMW. For Yi that number don't pass of 40%

>> No.9191092

>>9190638
The collectathon-esque gameplay of Yoshi's Island isn't for everyone.

>> No.9191278

>Yet everyone mods the shit out of SMW.
Sure.
>everyone mods NES SMB
>everyone mods SNES SMW
>everyone mods N64 SM64
It's mostly because there are a dedicated amount of level editors for those, and the SMB 3 editors suck. I'd prefer SM Land 2, but Yoshi's Island would also have potential to remove the collectathon shit.

>> No.9193042

>>9190693

>Actual underwater levels
well yoshi's island had skiing levels
>Four different Yoshis with different abilities
temparry shell buffs
>Cape
had it too, but it was temporary
>Actual powerups unlike the transformations in Yoshi's Island which are all timed and made for specific obstacles
Transformations were more creative, albiet their time frame was limited, also yoshi had melons too.

>The spinjump
ground pound/ eating and egg throw
>A bunch of hold items such as keys, Blue P-Switches, Silver P-Switches, Shells, etc, that can be thrown in any direction
mellons, keys, there were p-switches but they weren't holdable,
>Climbing
the dog could climb

stop being a white girl, also it had more enemy variety.

>As for why people are nostalgic for it, that's easy. It was the best selling title for SNES and sold as a pack-in just like DKC.
I kinda just got bored off it and it was uglier than the other ones being the first

>>9191083
>nd, going through Yoshi Island in a straight line is absolutely uninteresting, and going for the 100% completion is nothing but a chore.
There were many crazy levels that SMW didn't have like "touch fuzzy get dizzy" or the vehicle transformations, skiing or things of that nature.
Take off the diape.

>> No.9193064

>>9190638
>Honestly why are folks so nostalgic about this one as opposed to Yoshi's Island?

More people played World because it was a pack-in game, and those people are more likely to pass World (or knowledge of it) on to their kids.

>> No.9193117

Yoshi Island level design is boring and yoshi skills are worse than in smw, despite his kit being unique.

>> No.9193226

>>9190638
i mean yeah it's more well made but it is a different kind of game and mario world came with the system

>> No.9193241

>>9190638
It's the physics and controls. Super Mario World on a CRT is the gold standard that I measure games against.

>> No.9193639

>>9193042
>SMW didn't have like "touch fuzzy get dizzy" or the vehicle transformations, skiing or things of that nature
Yes, all those are terrible. A fancy idea doesn't make it a good idea.

>> No.9193653

As a kid I ran into the fuzzies on purpose because I thought ot was funny. That should have been a sign I would spend much of my early 20's on a lot of drugs.

>> No.9193657

>>9190638
Really bad post but I think OP knows he's an idiot.
>Yet everyone mods the shit out of SMW
Most people have never modded it. Only a small fraction of those that have played it have ever modded it.
Your post is entirely garbage.

>> No.9193676

>>9190638
You're just a retard with no taste.
What a useless thread.

>> No.9194125

>>9193676
stop acting like a white girl.