[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 31 KB, 418x320, strider.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
917986 No.917986 [Reply] [Original]

So, thoughts on the new Strider game/remake(?)?

Trailer and gaemplay:
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jMwcJI0pEg
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAQbh00CcJU

>> No.918026

Looks like a step back from Strider 2

>> No.918062

I think it looks pretty cool. First thought was that it looked hard as fuck with all that gunfire until I noticed that you can recover a bunch of lost health just by keeping your kill count high, so I'm a little bit weary as to how that will turn out, but at the same time it's still not final so a lot could change. Expectations: mildly optimistic. It's nice to see Hiryuu back!

>> No.918072

Looks like it lacks the speed and intensity that the arcade games had.

>> No.918086

I'd also like to add that the thought of this game failing is pretty depressing thanks to the fact Strider 2 was also made by fan demand but sold like shit. Capcom fans don't know what the hell they want.

>> No.918118

>>918026

Considering how piss easy and stupid Strider 2 (and kinda enjoyable) was, I have hopes for this.

>in b4 capcom hateboner squad greentexting my post

Strider 2 was not that great of a followup to Strider in the first place.

>> No.918154

they really fucked up the music why is it so fucking quiet?

>> No.918247

The second trailer has an ad on it. That rustles my jimmies, having to watch an ad to watch an ad.

Game's being made by Double Helix, none primarily for making a bunch of shitty licensed games and spin-offs, so not much hope on this one. Love to be proven wrong, though.

The gameplay trailer makes me worry that it'll have that Metroidvania knock-off thing of having an objective at one end of the map to unlock an objective at the other, with little if any reason or even opportunity to actually explore undirected just to see where you can go now, it's just making a level twice as long by making you do it twice. Now, obviously that's just the tutorial level they're showing, so it could be better later, or it could be dull and uninspired like everything else they've ever done. One to check on post release.

>> No.918297

>>917986
Arcade Strider was nearly flawless (in it's intended purpose). The new look is a bit jarring, but that's mostly because of the camera effects, and all the busywork effects. Where's the trademark slide and helper drones, BTW? Oh, well...can't be worse than the Killer Instinct remake, can it? Can it??!?

>> No.918338

Looks cool, but I dislike how you can eat bullets like a terminator. Here's hoping for a ninja difficulty mode where you take damage like in the first few games.

And I also hope that it won't have level design being nothing else but "run right - when reaching a wall jump, run left - when reaching a wall, jump, run right, repeat".

And they couldn't have fucked up his theme song any more, but there's a chance that it'll be either a recurring theme, or at least have one good remix - either as a boss fight, or in the ending. MvsC1 Strider theme was godly.

>>918086
>I'd also like to add that the thought of this game failing is pretty depressing thanks to the fact Strider 2 was also made by fan demand but sold like shit.

Nah, they'll just can it in a few months, like that other game fan-demand game they worked on (Legends 3).

>>918297
>the trademark slide and helper drones, BTW?

They are there in the second video, but are an upgrade, and you activate them like the Uroborous special in Marvel vs Capcom (eg. activate it and then they circle around you shooting crap for a limited time).
I liked it better in the first Strider, where they just randomly walked around following you and shooting stuff, but they were gone if you got hit. Or if you got a third one from a powerup, they instead combined into the tiger.

>> No.918361

>>918297
arcade strider was a near perfect video game imo. It was a master piece it told the story of a lone assassin taking out the grandmaster and all of his mighty war machines perfectly through the short cutscenes and gameplay. The futures commies throw everything they have at you but nothing is stopping you from taking out the grandmaster as you travel across the world to track him down. The music is the absolute best part though it accompanies the gameplay perfectly and peaks at the right times the fight with the gunner on top of the mountain, taking out security systems the whole game just flowed together so well and all made sense. My only complaint is I wish the ending and the death of the grandmaster was more dramatic

>> No.918458

EVERYTHING has lightning affects

makes it look like crap but it helps disguise the lack of detail in the environments

>> No.918475

>>918458
Yeah, I'm not impressed by the aesthetics too much, either.

However, it doesn't appear as though Capcom is fucking with the original gameplay mechanics too much (if at all), so I actually have hope for this one.

>> No.918518

>>918475
I dunno... this is looking MUCH easier. I hate to say it, but this looks like a damn XBLA game (like the furry game that paid half-ass homage to it (can't recall the name offhand, but the protag was a female kitten/bunny sort of thing). If you're gonna reboot/remake, at least use some of the new-gen power and add more depth to the levels, multiplayer, expand on the backstory, etc.,...

>> No.918523

Looks decent, though it looks like they have a god mode on and I don't like the long animations when you unlock something.

>> No.918526

>>918518
In spite of my negative comments, I hope it's successful, if only for devs to realize the proper way to do reboots/remakes.

It just occured to me: Gamers have the same complaints now that movie-goers have. God help us.

>> No.918527

Well shit. I remember there being rumors about this back in like 2008 but figured they were lies.

>> No.918538

>>918523
Dammnit! I forgot that we have to deal with none-too-subtle "Achievements", and did you see the on-screen prompts? Are modern gamers this handheld (don't answer that)?

>> No.918560
File: 118 KB, 1021x737, Loli Kong.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Double Helix

I am worried. They are where good franchises go to die.

>> No.918574

>>918560
EXACTLY.