[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 191 KB, 257x387, Resident_Evil_1_cover.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9148447 No.9148447 [Reply] [Original]

Man, those fucking enemies that roam the house later in the game are fucking hard to deal with.

>> No.9148456

>>9148447
Only in Advanced/Arrange difficulty though. I don't know who thought it was a good idea to make Hunters take 3 magnum bullets to kill.

>> No.9148764

hunters are the most dangerous normal enemy, yet capcom put it in the middle of the game...meanwhile the chimeras are easier to defeat but they are near the end of the game. I think chimeras deserved to be in the middle of the game and the hunters near the end, because the hunters are more dangerous.

>> No.9148878

>>9148447
When I saw the cover of this game as a kid, I thought he was in front of a tanker.

>> No.9148998
File: 2.44 MB, 640x480, RE1 Saturn Tick new move.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9148764
>I think chimeras deserved to be in the middle of the game and the hunters near the end, because the hunters are more dangerous.

And this is why you wouldn't have designed good games. The idea that difficulty should slightly increase during a game to always be a bit more difficult with no difficulty spike is a modern one with players being cuddled to victory, also because it's modern reviewers idea of how "games should be", and I can't think of many old games that don't have difficulty spikes.

Back then difficulty spikes were considered a good thing. A good example is the dog mini bosses in Mega Man 2's Wood Man stage, the second dog was designed to be more difficult than the third one, the following having been explained by the dev
>first dog: introduction
>second dog: now you get it so you get a hard one
>third dog: easier than second
which as a result makes the player feel like he's getting good = fun.

Besides Hunters are more suited for the mansion because of the layout of the place, and because, since it's known territory for the players, it needed to have the highest stakes possible to keep it interesting. Without Hunters, the backtracking would feel like a chore, with them, it's always one of the most interesting part of the game despite being backtracking.

The only faux pas is having Hunters again in the tunnels, always the Saturn version fixes that somewhat by having a variation of them which look and act a bit differently; but I think Chimeras could have introduced somewhere down there; although thematically they fit the labs the best.

>> No.9151121

>>9148764
I didn't even fire a single shot at the chimeras, just ran past them every time

>> No.9151129

The Hunters are there to make sure you didn't waste your shotgun/bazooka ammo.

>> No.9151147

>>9148998
Random difficulty spikes are not good design. They mostly exist in old games in not in modern ones, because testing and player feedback was an afterthought back then.
Good difficulty spikes are those done on purpose, for exemple to teach the player a lesson (like the Matador fight in Nocturne).

>> No.9151158

>>9151147
>random
It provides challenge and a gameplay lesson for the player as they return to an area they had already cleared of enemies.

>> No.9151163

>>9151129
its pretty much useless to use a bazooka since they jump around so much, unless you catch them idle.

>> No.9151260

>>9148998
Ticks are cool. Spiders would have been a good choice for the tunnels too since they only show up in 2 rooms.

>> No.9151934

>>9148998
>Besides Hunters are more suited for the mansion because of the layout of the place, and because, since it's known territory for the players, it needed to have the highest stakes possible to keep it interesting. Without Hunters, the backtracking would feel like a chore, with them, it's always one of the most interesting part of the game despite being backtracking.

chimeras would have beem a better option.

>> No.9152201

>>9151147
You're the only one here thinking modern games have better design than old ones, summer tourist

>> No.9153406

>>9148998
Good post.
>>9148447
They placed more difficult enemies in the middle as players would use their ammo and inventory there then be low on shit at the end and have to survive, hence survival horror. The first games are perfectly designed for first playthroughs as well as speed runs, no damage runs and other challenges.

>> No.9153431

The lack of spatial orientation makes these games harder, and it also doesn't help that you have limited movement. Sega solution was to create a lock on system, the game had headshots and delimbing before resident evil

>> No.9153471

>>9153406
I saved all my magnum ammo for the final boss, but didn't have it equipped when I fought it, so I killed him without it. Made me mad.

>> No.9153472

>>9148447
>hard
This is it. I'm leaving. This board is unwashed casuals central.

>> No.9153497

>>9148998
Based.

>> No.9153525

>>9153472
Post your greatest gaming accomplishment with proof NOW faggot.

>> No.9153552

>>9153406
>The first games are perfectly designed
1 and 3 maybe. 2 is a joke since you have so much ammo by the end, I don't think there is enough enemies in the game to use all of Claire's grenade rounds.

>> No.9153620

>>9153552
The thing is that the player doesn't know how much ammo they will have until the end, so they have to decide whether to save their ammo or risk being out by the end. As the poster said, it was designed for first playthroughs.

It becomes very easy once you know you can just blast everything in sight and still be ok once the end comes.

>> No.9154663

>>9152201
>Nocturne
>Modern game
Trying to hard to fit in.