[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 45 KB, 165x180, 1363779416506.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
914727 No.914727[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Should I support this local startup, or avoid it like the plague?

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/8-bit-gaming-bar

I don't understand why they're using an HDTV for retro consoles. I don't understand why they have no 8-bit consoles despite their name indicating they're all about 8-bit. I don't understand why there are no retro computers. No retro handhelds. No lesser-known consoles to really draw in the curious. It seems like a quick and dirty cash-in on the "retro craze" that's sweeping pseudofashionable people right now. And that makes me sad.

>> No.914729

So what if they use an HDTV? Why are you so autistic OP? Also Big Bang Theory is the best show on television.

No OP, for the love of god don't support them.

>> No.914732

£1000 to buy a "comprehensive" range of games for Mega Drive, SNES and N64? Yeah, good luck. Whoever's in charge of this clearly has no clue what they're doing.

>> No.914735

>>914727
Reminds me of a story a few months back. Basically some dude was all excited about a new arcade opening in his local mall. He shows up and it's full of uninterested parents with very young children. He goes to play some games and it turns out they use tokens instead of quarters.

I don't think I did it justice, but rest assured it was a heartbreaking story.

>> No.914738

>>914732
>Buy low-end PC
>Download complete romset of desired console

Yeah, that doesn't cost £1000, unless the guy is also buying the HDTV with the money.

>> No.914739
File: 186 KB, 700x385, 1367647061333.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>no retro computers
Because it's a game bar, not EVERYTHING RETRO FOREVER bar.
>no handhelds
Are you fucking retarded?
>no lesser-known
It is not hipster hangout, it's a bar. Where people sell over-priced low-grade poison in a social atmosphere. Not to mention, it's a startup. As in just starting up?
>MY retro feelings are better than THEIR retro feelings
Check your privilege, hipster-king of London-town.

>> No.914773

>>914738
illegal as fuck especially for an establishment
really everything about this place is wrong

>> No.914792

>>914773
There really isn't an audience for what they're selling. There isn't a lot of overlap between gamers and bar-crawlers.

>> No.914804

>>914792
actually there is
barcades have been growing pretty fast and are fairly popular but the main mistake is no one ever gets their 'theme' down properly.
This place is really off base with what they want, hell if they wanted a retro feel they'd be more authentic and save more money with good ole thrift store hunting

>> No.914814

>>914804
I don't think it could survive in nowhere, Cornwall. I don't think there would be much interest even in a big city like London.

Maybe somewhere a bit more tourist-y, perhaps Blackpool? They have a ton of weird stuff like this.

>> No.914816

>>914738
>emulating Goldeneye

ONLY THE SHIG
KNOW PEACE FROM THIS DIGGY

>> No.914821

>>914727
I like the idea, but if you're going to support one, I'd ask that you support this one instead.

https://www.wearethemillion.com/campaigns/video_game_arcade_bar_you_win

The owners are actually knowledgeable about retro games as well as running a business, they've successfully run a physical shop for retro games and arcade in Streatham for over a year, and been trading on eBay for several.

>> No.914825

>>914814
yeah location is a problem I don't know how UK would handle this
works in the US though thats for sure

>> No.914829

>>914816
Well this is pretty awesome when you get it working, unlocks the framerate and gives you mouse controls through memory injection:

http://www.shootersforever.com/forums_message_boards/viewtopic.php?t=5373

>> No.914834

>>914829
Or you could just play Quake 2.