[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 125 KB, 640x924, sss.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9096426 No.9096426 [Reply] [Original]

Did you, back in the 90s?
I still remember the first time I played NiGHTS back in '96. Other people had no idea.

>> No.9096460

Saturn was in all stores for a while and I did know one kid who had one, so I definitely got to play one. It just wasn't that impressive or exciting. The 3d games weren't that hot compared to what was on PC or Playstation, or upcoming on N64, and all the 2d games everyone raves about were usually never brought here or not in big print runs. (or were on the SNES like MK2, for that matter)
I played Astal, it didn't really hook me. Looked like a good looking SNES game, which caught my interest, but was pretty boring to play. Everyone likes to post level 1 of Panzer Dragoon. But instead picture playing a bunch of the second level, which is nothing but sand and dust. Extremely ugly. The first level is kind of an exception. Ok game, and Starfox 64 wasn't around yet to make it look worse by comparison, but just not that exciting all around.
Everyone asks why the system failed, but as someone who was 10 when it was in stores, the answer is pretty simple. The games weren't exciting.

>> No.9096485

>>9096460
>The 3d games weren't that hot compared to what was on PC or Playstation
I disagree. Saturn was pretty much on par with the PlayStation.
PS fanboys like to cherrypick details like "muh transparencies" but there's examples of transparencies on Saturn, plus back then dithering worked pretty neat with regular TVs.
The Saturn's 3D was not really much worse than the shaky 3D of the Playstation.
I do agree on the first level of Panzer Dragoon being the highlight of that game though. Not just visually (though I do like these sandworms on the second level), but the design of the first PD game is not too exciting. They really managed to make everything better on the sequel, which remains one of the best games of the Saturn for me.

>> No.9097670
File: 3.36 MB, 4032x3024, Unappealing_to_the_majority.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9096426
Hell yeah. While I did get the Playstation first, it started to fail, and instead of getting a replacement, I chose to get a Saturn. The games were all on discount and in clearance bins which is why the system is the one with the most physical titles I have beating out even the 360. As much as this board hates the games, they are still the kinds of games I like playing.

>> No.9097673

>>9096426
Got a Saturn mid 1995. Still have it. Still works great. Not a scratch on it. Its probably the console i feel most nostalgic about.

>> No.9097678

>>9097670
Thats a nice collection there anon. Keio, Gen 5, tenchi wo kurau and cotton 2 are fantastic games!

>> No.9097691

>>9096426
>Did you, back in the 90s?
Only a small percent of people on this board were born then. I don't know if you noticed, but this place has become infested with steam children and emu babies.