[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 192 KB, 619x597, filters.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9094956 No.9094956 [Reply] [Original]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x_pqyrf9lA&t=1457s
This showcase was pure soul
at least until the BoTW segment
And it has inspired me to research the programming of the N64 and specifically modifying ocarina of time.
How does one even start such a venture though /vr/?

>> No.9095270
File: 1.48 MB, 1456x1600, Zelda smart ass.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So I get that it's essentially a romhack they wrote to RAM with controller inputs

But how the fuck did th4y get Twitch chat messages ingame?

>> No.9095318

>>9095270
the twitch chat was the most interesting segment bar none

>> No.9095341

>>9094956
>give it up yall
I fucking hate twitch donations and normies ruin everything and make me cringe. fuck gdq and fuck twitch gay bullshit.

>> No.9095373

>>9095270
...they just fed twitch chat through the controller inputs. They already did that in pokemon games.

>> No.9095375 [DELETED] 

>Still wearing masks in 2022

Holy onions

>> No.9095567

>>9095270

If it's cracked open it's cracked OPEN.
They simply defined a type of packet which represents Twitch chat info.
Since only the message "Here Together" would be displayed, with the PC also simply ignoring the other messages they could also simply prerender the message and what they the only had to transfer what was the username and which icons were before it respectively, taking very little bandwidth.
That's the point tho, once cracked open they could have sent ANYTHING to the N64 that fit into the bandwidth and was interpretable by the console- They could have had Link enter a new door in a dungeon and play a round of DOOM as well. Pretty much anything imaginable, just predefine corresponding packets and send them via the controller ports.

>> No.9095631

>>9095567
So the bot was hooked up to the internet and parsing twitch chat and real-time making controller inputs to render messages on screen?

>> No.9095647

>>9095631
>So the bot was hooked up to the internet and parsing twitch chat and real-time making controller inputs to render messages on screen?
I haven't seen the demo yet but I would assume so, yes.
If there's some arbitrary code execution glitch (like in SMW) there isn't even a need to hack the ROM in any way. You could just add the twitter stuff into the game as is while it's running.

>> No.9096004

>>9095567
It's too bad they did such a shit job explaining it.

>> No.9096005

>>9095631
The PC was hooked up to the internet and parsing twitch chat. The bot was hooked up to the PC, making real-time controller inputs to render messages on screen based on what was sent to it from the PC.

>> No.9096281

>there are people who think everything up to the botw part is all part of the game because they kept repeating that it was an unmodified cart

>> No.9096332

>>9096281

>But Myamoto-San, that Running Man fight is fully functional and we think pretty fun!
>Nah, scrap it.

>> No.9096367 [DELETED] 

>>9095375
>Still wearing masks in 2022
People have been wearing masks before the pandemic so that they don't catch colds/flu's from dumnbfucks like you. Get over yourself
>>9096281
Zoomers once again have no idea how things actually work

>> No.9096404

>>9095567
Arbitrary code execution is fascinating to me.
If I understand it correctly, its glitching the game in a very specific way so that the data being recieved from a controller is no longer in its self-contained movement and control functions and is instead in the code, allowing players to essentially write code with a controller. Right?

>> No.9096471

>>9096404

It means getting control of parts of the running code by reprogramming the bytes at certain points to typically create a wrong jump instruction to a part of the code you can easily influence and manipulate - and the controller inputs are typically perfect for that since they come from outside and are stored in the code so you can directly manipulate bits.
Once you gain control of the program counter you theoretically got control of the system (and not just the game), since the system still thinks a normal cart is running. You can work up from that entry point, once jumping to your manipulatable input you at that moment could input bits that in assembler are translated to a store instruction, writing a piece of code to a specified address, once that is done manipulate the bits one more time into another jump instruction and the program jumps to your newly inserted code, from that you have then more and quicker possibilities and so on.
In the end what happens is that you gain not only control of the game but more importantly the system itself, that's why through ACE they can turn SMB3 into Color a Dinosaur or Pong with Mario's head for example. You simple at any moment give the system code that it can interpret and execute as valid one without crashing.

In case of Triforce% they first broke open the handling of Controller inputs for controllers 2-4 to slowly write a payload to an address and finally executing it to then with increased speed write another bigger payload which then loaded ANOTHER payload to step by step rewrite how inputs via controllers are processed which then loaded the actual background payload able to recieve custom packets and execute them on the fly. The contra of this is that from this point on the game was following a script, had he gone any other way than the intended one the game would have crashed.

>> No.9096504

>>9095647
>If there's some arbitrary code execution glitch
That's what it is.

>> No.9096560

>>9095647
>f there's some arbitrary code execution glitch

There always is some entry point required.
It typically uses easily manipulatable variables like positions, angles etc to write some data that when interpreted as code translates to a jump instruction which is then executed via a glitch.
From THAT point on you can then directly manipulate the code but the entry point is always something game internal like coordinates combined with a glitch break out of the normal game routine.

>> No.9096686

>>9094956
I fucking hated the BoTW segment.
The fake beta shit really took me back to the hours I spent as a kid fucking around the game trying to find the triforce, all it was missing was there being a secret location at the center of the lava pool under Ganon's Castle. It was a fun ride.
Then the BoTW section comes up and while extremely technically impressive, it was just pure aids.
>fan voice work
>not only is it bad voicework but it's corny as all fuck
>twitch integration
Wish I had caught it live though.
In the discords I was in that advertised it, they were like
>Yeah, we're using TASbot to spawn in beta shit
And I didn't watch it because I was thinking they were literally just going to be spawning in the Arwing, Ocarina Pedestal, trap rupee and such, doing an explanation for those who don't know. If they'd been honest from the get-go I would have watched live.

>> No.9096697 [DELETED] 

>>9095375
Holy seethe

>> No.9096706

>>9096281
Not that I believed it, but they were pretty fucking dishonest about it. Especially the lost woods part
>get lost the same ways as Zelda 1
>mentions that no one has tried this or if they had, maybe they just didn't know what they unlocked
There's no mention of "hey, this is beta" it's straight up "yeah this is real lmao i guess no one knew what they were doing". With all the random shit you can miss out on in OoT such as the guard dying in Castle Town it's not a stretch that someone would think it was legit.

>> No.9097350

>>9096706
I get that they were trying to be sneaky about it but they should have come clean at the end what was and wasnt beta content or something doable.

>> No.9097371

>>9097350
They really should've advertised it as an ACE exhibition from the get-go.

>> No.9098921

Ship of Harkinian updated a couple days ago.
https://github.com/HarbourMasters/Shipwright/
https://forums.shipofharkinian.com/viewtopic.php?t=27

Naturally, they want you to sign up to their forum or Discord to download it.

Fuck that, anyone got DL link?

>> No.9099402

>>9098921
no handouts for you.

>> No.9099526

>>9099402
Dug around a bit more on their Github and found they have a nightly buildbot.
https://builds.shipofharkinian.com/job/SoH_Multibranch/job/develop/

>> No.9099538

>>9099526
See? Just do a little work.

>> No.9099576
File: 980 KB, 1364x768, Hyrule_temple_Brawl.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9094956
They honestly nailed the feeling of Ocarina's dialogue for most of the showcase, I just wish the "to the future" segment was in Melee's Temple with OoT Link and Zelda instead of the weird jump to BotW

>> No.9099587

>>9099538
I did a little work to start with, I just needed a little more in this case.

It was a psychological thing because up-front they're full of "join our club" shit.

>> No.9099619

>>9099576
They had to pander to the normies somehow.

>> No.9099653

>>9095270
it was prerecorded

>> No.9100095
File: 162 KB, 1280x720, 1634093026737.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Have you ever made a mod for a game /vr/?

>> No.9100108

>>9100095
yes
https://files.catbox.moe/tnat88.zip

>> No.9101179

>>9100108
>https://files.catbox.moe/tnat88.zip
well what is it?

>> No.9101463

>>9101179
a mod made out of boredom