[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 21 KB, 418x211, animation_debut8-article_image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9085929 No.9085929 [Reply] [Original]

Did Nintendo bad experience with Philips make then to delete all plans to use discs on Nintendo 64? makes sense since discs were a new thing back then but apparently they regretted that decision because in the end they wanted to use the 64DD

>> No.9085953

No, it was piracy, which was rampant on Playstation.

>> No.9085994

To be fair, Nintendo has managed to piss off both Sony and Philips, both companies which receive royalties from all pressed Compact Discs. Years later they hired Panasonic to create totally-not-mini-DVD, totally-not-DVD and totally-not-BD for them to avoid paying fees to DVD Forum and Sony. Given Yamauchi's personality, there might be a grain of truth in such assumption.

>> No.9086009

I don’t know what “bad” experience you mean

>> No.9086058

By the way that you type you stand out from the rest of the posters. Your bad grammar also sticks out to me and I sort of recognize when YOU make a thread.

>> No.9086104

>>9086058
I recognize you in threads as the guy who always whinges without contributing anything relevant to the discussion.

>> No.9086179

>>9085953
it was actually focus group testing. nintendo found that their fans had difficulty using disc-based media without smudging or outright breaking the things.