[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 87 KB, 640x480, doom 64 capa.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
906891 No.906891 [Reply] [Original]

I've recently started replaying through Doom 64 (played it as a kid). The game has such great features: dat lighting, dat atmosphere, DAT SOUNDTRACK.

I also got Doom 3 BFG edition, which has doom 1 and 2 as a bonus. I played Doom 1 because I hear people raving about it here all the time.
As soon as I saw the well-lit environments and heard that soundtrack I laughed out loud. People are always talking about how Doom 1 is the best, but it had none of the dark ambiance and flavor of 64. It was like playing a cheap Chinese parody of an actual game.

I suppose I shouldn't be too harsh on it, considering its age- but Doom 64 came out just 4 years later, and what a difference that made...

Can anyone seriously try to defend the position that Doom 1 is better than Doom 64?

For Reference:
a typical Doom 64 soundtrack:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IE1NmyrbWA

VS. the first level soundtrack of Doom 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CofjdOuv68U

>> No.906910

yeah sure it's easy, doom wasn't about survivor horror that's where doom 3 fucked up it was about listening to master of puppets and blowing the fuck up out of demons

>> No.906924

Doom 1 was faster, had better, more varied levels and more shit to kill. The atmosphere in doom64 was nice, but ruined by the fact that it's still too close to the original doom and way too arcadey to be scary.
Doom64 is great for novelty value and a solid game, but it doesn't set itself apart enough from the original while also missing almost all the content that made it great.

>> No.906978

I am playing this right now. I am up to Dark Citadel on normal. Should have put a harder difficulty but its great.

>> No.906992
File: 125 KB, 1193x669, hell_knight___doom_64_by_cristianac-d5c3exw.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>906924
OP here. I can appreciate level design and enemy variety; Doom 1 is fun to play, to be sure. However it's really missing an element of darkness that makes a Doom game... well, Doom. There is really nothing substantive to make you feel like you are traversing Hell and fighting demons. The enemies aren't scary; they might as well be soldiers or goombas. I'm really criticizing the aesthetic direction of Doom 1 more than anything else.

>> No.906996

Personally, the only way that Doom is superior to 64 is by modification. Which is actually quite a large way considering, but still.

OP have you played the port of Doom 64 to PC yet? It's pretty fucking cool.

>> No.907004

>>906996
My brother actually downloaded it on his PC, which is how I'm playing it now. It's SUPA-COOL!

>> No.907015

>>906992
You have to realize how ridiculous your post looks when you say this >Doom 1 is fun to play, to be sure. However it's really missing an element of darkness that makes a Doom game...

Just because your opinion is Doom 64 has better atmosphere and horror doesn't mean you can throw around crazy statements like the above.

I personally liked every doom game I played.

>> No.907016

>>906996
TurokEX is being worked on too. Which is odd because isn't there a PC version?

>> No.907018

>>906992
>Doom 1 is fun to play, to be sure. However it's really missing an element of darkness that makes a Doom game... well, Doom.

Messed up my green text

>> No.907021

>>907016
It's basically going to turn out as better than the PC, because PC was a shit port. Also it's apparently going to have mod support.

>> No.907034

Doom 64 was released a few months before Quake II. Of course they had more time to flesh out things like atmosphere and ambience than they did with Doom 1.

>> No.907038

If Doom 64 is so good, of the other 63 Doom games, which ones are worthwhile?

>> No.907043

>>906891
>Can anyone seriously try to defend the position that Doom 1 is better than Doom 64?
Yes.
Doom 64 is a good game, but the core is actually a Quake clone, with many traps.
Doom 64 is also very slow paced, and the soundtrack is an inferior version of quake 1's style.

>> No.907048
File: 344 KB, 844x720, vlcsnap-2013-06-20-17h55m11s168.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Considering Doom was the first you can't really say it doesn't have the atmosphere of a Doom game.

Doom is supposed to be an upbeat rip-and-tear simulator. It's more about the design and the fun more than the atmosphere.

>> No.907054

>>907038
1 13 27 and 39

>> No.907059

>>907038
>only 63
There's billions bro.

>> No.907060

Quick question - is the PS1 version of Doom any good or does it suck compared to the PC version?

>> No.907067
File: 182 KB, 820x680, pc-98 alice.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

doom 1 has better level design as a whole than doom 64, the enemies and weapons are balanced better, the controls are about 5 million times more accessible when using a mouse, and in general it's just a better game.

not discounting doom 64 at all, it's a great game. but nothing really tops the simplicity and fun of doom 1

>> No.907070
File: 83 KB, 1280x720, grr.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>906992
doom isn't like doom

>> No.907071

>>907060
It's a good Doom. Not the best version there is, but if you can't get anything else, it'll do the trick.

>> No.907075

>>906992
Darkness isn't the point of Doom, idiot.

The point is RIP AND TEAR and FUCK YEAH THIS GUITAR SOLO I'M RIPPING THROUGH AN ARMY OF DEMONS.

It's about power and fast-paced action more than anything

>> No.907079

>>907067

oh, and also, to be honest the only actually scary part about doom64 is the soundtrack. at least in my opinion

it suffers from FEAR syndrome, where it tries to scare you but all you have to do is remember that you're a walking pain machine with an arsenal in your pockets to not be afraid

>> No.907097
File: 26 KB, 400x310, w&g.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>907079
Let's not forget how the ennemis look in Doom 64.

>> No.907104
File: 46 KB, 700x1245, buttz.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>907097

they look slightly less dopey than doom. The only enemy that I can honestly say went to looking kinda fearsome are the pinkies, and that hardly matters because everything that killed them easily in the last two games is now doubly powerful.

Doom 64 had cool art design for the enemies, but I still wouldn't call it "scary"

>> No.907106

>>907016

>Google TurokEX
>posibility of Turok2EX

TAKE ALL OF MY SHECKELS AND MORE

>> No.907123
File: 4 KB, 226x204, Doomguy frolic's with a spectre.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Doom is about fulfilling all of your testosterone infused fantasies of killing armies of monsters and being manly as manly can be. Who else would think of punching a demon from hell in the face?

Doom 64 it's the same thing, but with a horror atmosphere.

I think it depends on what mood you're on. Sometimes I wanna play a sigtly more serious doom, and some times I wanna play just doom.

>> No.907154
File: 73 KB, 1024x768, doom_3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

OP here.
Looks like we're seeing some mixed opinions. Some people seem to prefer the horrific atmosphere of Doom 64, while others prefer the zany, 'rock-n-roll' fast-paced action of classic Doom.

Personally I will always love Doom 64 more. The horror-shooter genre is sadly not as expansive as I would like to see it today. I'm really glad that the developers decided to stick with the horror aspect of 64 for Doom 3 (and hopefully future titles).

It just seems like so many more games follow the (IMO) cheesy action-hero formula of Doom 1- but if that's just your thing then by all means knock yourself out.

>> No.907165

>>907154
I thought Doom 3 was done well enough for sure, I really liked the slow corruption going on as you progressed further.

>> No.907185

>>907154
>It just seems like so many more games follow the (IMO) cheesy action-hero formula of Doom 1

If you are implying modern games they are as far away from Doom 1 or Doom 64 as you can possibly get.

As for your horror-shooter genre we have Modern Resident evil and Dead space. I won't mind if Doom 4 does this as well but I do want them to try to mix elements of Old school FPS with New FPS. Something similar to what MSX or Brutal Doom does I guess except current graphics and no shield regen.

I just really don't want them copying modern FPS games with all the amount of cut scenes, perks, etc.

>> No.907213

I remember having to adjust the brightness setting on my TV to play this game - everything was pitch black and I couldn't see anything. That had never happened to me in a game before.

>> No.907385

>>906992
play doom 1 or 2 with brutal doom and doom metal sountrack mod, then you'll know what doom is really about.

>> No.907529
File: 34 KB, 404x403, 1370388201392.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Have you played the PS1 Doom, OP? It came out before D64 and has similar atmosphere and the same sound effects. Also, dat fucking status bar gib:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEqy7yMEx8Q

>> No.908240

>Can anyone seriously try to defend the position that Doom 1 is better than Doom 64?
Yes. It was harder, much harder. All I do is blast Hell Knights in corridors by hugging one wall then shifting to the next on "I Own Doom" difficulty. Hell, get to episode three and especially episode four then you will know what Doom is like. The first couple levels will have you worrying about your health and ammo situation while you take on enemies that keep on coming out of every corner. The level design and enemy variety is great in Doom, and especially Doom 2 with Revenants, Pain Elementals, and especially Archviles really spicing everything up.

> However it's really missing an element of darkness that makes a Doom game... well, Doom.
That is the stupidest comment I have read. How can Doom one and two not have the elements of Doom? That is like saying the elements of a salad with lettuce in it doesn't have elements of salad.

>> No.909186

>>906891
Great game, great atmosphere, difficult, and the weapons were pleasing as well as everything else.

Also is too dark(low light amplification goggles were actually necessary but scarce), difficulty spikes are ridiculous (FUCK YEAH, IMPS!! ZOMBIEMEN!!! *map 6* OH FUCK HELLKNIGHTHELLKNIGHTHELKNIGHTHELLKNIGHTHELLKNIGHT BARON OF HELL I NEVER HAD TO EVEN TRY TO STRAFE BEFORE), ambient soundtrack, puzzles with that FUCKING N64 JITTERSTICK.

Great game, but not as great as Doom 1. Its PC port Doom64EX fixed most of the problems above, but the game still is not as fun.

>>907021
>better than the PC port
I thought it was really good. I never understood the above statement, because it plays even more flawlessly then the original Nintendo 64 version with its mouse support and more accessible strafing.

>> No.909287

>>909186
I eat potato salad, you insensitive cloud!

>> No.909294

>>909287
How do I go about responding to this? The apparent, yet cryptic meaning, is messing with my mind.

>> No.910817

Would've liked it more if
>No enemies were removed
>Used the quake engine
>Was on PC, and labelled as Doom 3

It was still good, and I can accept the change from "killing things while listening to heavy metal" to "dark n moody", but it could've been better.

>> No.910879

>>906891
Yep. Doom 1 was simply more fun and generally more memorable. 64 was nice, but had some of the most boring and forgettable levels I've ever played in a popular 90's shooter. Reminded me of Doom 2's early levels too much.

>> No.910997

I tried beating the game with Doom 64 EX, but I kept on running into an error that crashed the game at a certain point, hopefully there has been a recent update that fixes that

>> No.911247

>>907104
>>907079
Agreed. 64 was not scary at all. It was dark and moody, but that atmosphere already fell flat on itself because you're generally not that vulnerable, with supplies usually plenty. It was trying to be something its not.

I prefer the original Doom and Doom 2's brighter and more up-beat atmosphere because it shows they at least don't take themselves too seriously and acknowledge that they're just fun action shooters.

>> No.912932

>>907038
>Not knowing DOOM games are versions, not numbered sequels
Personally I liked Doom 28.1.25 really neat mechanics, tough many may say they were gimmicky.

>> No.916002

Doom 64 looks like an early alpha version of Quake

>> No.918386

>>911247
>Can easily get a super shotgun
>Plenty of shotgun shells
>Almost everything easily folds from its blast
>All of those corridors so there isn't anywhere for them to run from your buck shot.

>> No.918391
File: 400 KB, 488x519, 49489475.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

DOOM64 was the real DOOM 3

>> No.918394
File: 15 KB, 191x205, oh fuck.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Doom 64's super secret levels

Guess they had that early exit there for a reason.

>> No.918398
File: 31 KB, 173x172, nope emil.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Holy shit OP, stop sucking cock.

>Doom 1 is fun to play, to be sure. However it's really missing an element of darkness that makes a Doom game... well, Doom

You are really stupid. Doom 1 and 2 came first. The shit you said it's just not logical

>thinking the shitty ambiance sounds from Doom 64 are better than E1M1

Just stop having shit taste son. It's like you haven't listened to the glorious midis blasting through the speakers of the computer.

a remix:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkjZ-kOTBAU

>> No.918434

at one point doom was going to be moody and inspired a lot by aliens, but the developers actually realized this was a detriment to the gameplay and made it how you see it today. i think that was one of the best design decisions ever made in gaming history.