[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 125 KB, 640x640, ewj2_saturn.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9059001 No.9059001 [Reply] [Original]

>Why yes, I am the definitive version of the best game in the Earthworm Jim franchise, how did you know?

>> No.9059075

Ported by Screaming Pink, fitting as that's what you'll become playing this shitty port. The whole game just feels jacked up in general compared to the 16 bit originals but those Puppy Love stages are just fucked in this port. It's like they added some sort of acceleration to Jim's movement and altered the distance the dive gives you. Makes an already difficult, annoying and repeated level unbearable. Also it takes place in some awful looking literal CGI hell, fitting but still shockingly ugly.

>> No.9059161

Horrible port for a horrible game. you'd think next gen 1996 would have some sort of impressive video effects for 2d games but instead you get visually unfitting awful pre rendered backgrounds and broken physics for everything. Only plus is the CD music.

>> No.9059221

>>9059001
So whats the best version of Jim 1 and 2? I had 1 on genesis as a kid. Is the HD versions any good?

>> No.9059229

>>9059221
>Is the HD versions any good?
It was delisted years ago and good riddance. Gross visuals and audio.
>So whats the best version of Jim 1 and 2?
Special Edition for EWJ1 on either Sega CD or Windows 95. For EWJ2 the SNES but not by much the Genesis version is still great.

>> No.9059230

>>9059229
i'll check out the sega cd version. thanks

>> No.9059432

>>9059001
Based Saturn enjoyer

>> No.9059461 [DELETED] 

>>9059001
>>9059075
>>9059161
>>9059221
>>9059229
>>9059230
I don't feel comfortable discussing this series on /vr/ considering the toxic conversation that surrounds it and it's creators.

>> No.9059557 [DELETED] 

>>9059461
Then leave, mass replying faggot.

>> No.9059592

>>9059461
What did he mean by this?

>> No.9059596

>>9059592
You know

>> No.9059621

>>9059596
I have no idea sir.

>> No.9060126
File: 71 KB, 1280x720, Doug in Exile.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Why do people dislike Jim 2 again? It has better humour and more interesting level design than the first game. Is it because Puppy Love filters them compared to the easy, boring Psycrow racing bonus rounds of the first Jim game?

>> No.9060138

>>9060126
I think it's more that EWJ1 was the waaay more popular title, EWJ2 came out a bit too late, not as many people played it compared to 1.
So, with less nostalgia for it, people are obviously going to prefer 1.
On the other hand you have EWJ2's more eclectic aka "gimmicky" levels, though EWJ1 also has its share of variety, EWJ2 went all out, with less run n' gun levels and more stuff like Flyin' King or Villi People, also puppy love.
However I never thought EWJ's run n' gun gameplay was really amazing, I played EWJ because of the visuals, sound and humor, rather than the gameplay or level design.
Also yeah the 32-bit ports suffered from control issues. I think it's still playable for the most part but as OP said, puppy love got fucked. I could still beat it but it was a lot more difficult than on SNES, couldn't do mad hops and collect every single thing like I can on SNES.

>> No.9060431

>>9060126
EWJ2 had less pure platforming levels compared to EWJ1.
I feel like a majority of people gave up when they got to the isometric level where you have to bring the bomb to the end of the map. Also the Puppy Love segments took WAY too fucking long compared to Andy Asteroids.

>> No.9060457

>>9060126
EWJ2 relied way too heavily on gimmick levels and every level felt completely unrelated to the previous one.

>> No.9061528

bet op thinks the 32-bit versions of MMX3 were definitive, too

>> No.9061563

>>9060457
There's really only one gimmick level in Jim 2, though, which is the Flyin' King. Everything else plays like your standard sidescrolling scotformer.

>> No.9061570

>>9060126
Don't fucking post that picture

>> No.9061858

>>9061563
Yeah! Except that OTHER flying level. Oh and the 3 Peter Puppy levels, that blind cave salamander level with the quiz show and the ones where your gun is replaced with a digging beam and I think the one where your head is a hot air baloon and the one where you have to race Psycrow, too. Apart from those few, it's classic EWJ, really.

>> No.9062542

>>9061858
>Except that OTHER flying level.
Which?
>Oh and the 3 Peter Puppy levels,
Those are bonus rounds, doesn't count. Also they're less gimmicky than the first game's parallax racing bonus stages.
>that blind cave salamander level with the quiz show
The quiz/simon says part is basically that level's boss, and you're just floating instead of running and jumping as the salamander, not gimmicky.
>and the ones where your gun is replaced with a digging beam
Still has regular jump 'n shoot gameplay, and your gun isn't replaced, you just have infinite ammo.
>and I think the one where your head is a hot air baloon
Another floating level, but still is designed like a platform game where you have to navigate obstacles, evade Evil the Cat, etc.
>and the one where you have to race Psycrow, too.
Again that's not gimmicky, and that's one of the most enjoyable levels in Jim 1 or 2.

If you're gonna call the floating stuff gimmicky, then Jim 1 had that too, the part where you're stuck in a submarine which is arguably worse than either salamander or inflated head.

>> No.9062746

>>9060126
My take:
Too many gimmicky levels with poor gimmicks - inflatable head is boring, Flying King is dull, frustrating, and doesnt even look or feel like an EWJ level, Puppy Love is miserable. Overall the music isn't as good as the first game (some tunes are good, the title track is catchy as fuck, but some stage tunes are just uninspired MIDI-fied covers of classical music). Jim's idle animation looks weird, and overall the new enemies are nothing to write home about, especially compared to the memorable bosses from the first game. Final boss battle simply doesn't have those final boss vibes or satisfaction, just a boring race.
>>9062542
>Puppy Love stages are bonus rounds
Not really. You have to clear them just like any other level.
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy EWJ2 (in fact it was the game I played most as a kid, because I owned the SNES version before I eventually got the PC version of the first game), but it just doesn't excite me as much as the first game.