[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 357 KB, 1280x720, nerdvsarino.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
902916 No.902916 [Reply] [Original]

Do you have friends who are into retro videogames? What are they like? Or is it hard talking to your friends about retro games because they just don't care?

I have a few friends who really like older games, but they mostly focus on Super Nintendo. I like that system too, but I also like to play and collect systems I never had as a kid, so recently I've been really into the Game Gear and Dreamcast. It's kind of lonely for me though because none of my friends are interested in that stuff in even the slightest. It'd be nice if I could talk with them about it, but I doubt they'll ever be interested. Honestly /vr/ is pretty much the only place I can talk to people who like retro videogames other than SNES.

What about you guys? Do you enjoy retro videogames alone or with friends?

>> No.902969

>>902916
While my friends do play classic games along with new stuff, we have wildly different schedules, and can't spend what time we might simultaneously have free playing games. We go places and do stuff, so bleh.

I just play old games to make crap for five people on Youtube to watch. I'm not popular because I don't debase myself on film. In fact, you will never see my face.

>> No.902967

>>902916
I'm blessed enough to have several friends that are into almost every system and/or game. We don't always see eye to eye on everything(I don't like JRPGs, they do. They suck at shmups, I rock at them). But at least once a week I find myself watching one of my friends play through a game, whether it be Rocket Knight Adventures, or Super Mario RPG. Sometimes you have to give. Try getting into what they're into. Maybe they'll come around. If not, who cares? Work with the common ground you're given.

>> No.903156

>>902969

Yeah I rarely get to meet my friends, maybe once a month, twice if we're lucky due to varying schedules. So it's not such a big deal. Still we talk a lot over chat/text and whatnot so it's not that big a deal. Still, it'd be nice if my friends wanted to talk about other systems sometimes too right?

>> No.903197

>>902916
Most of my friends play retro games, one friend doesn't really go lower than N64 but we still have fun playing multiplayer with that. Another friend is a somewhat serious collector so we talk about all kinds of retro stuff and when we hang out we tend to play through games. Another likes retro stuff but he doesn't have a lot of time to play so when we hang out we play nes games and lots of strategy games which is awesome, because we don't get mad when someone wins or loses (which is really fucking hard to do with most people).

But there is that scheduling issue so if I'm lucky it's once a week, if I'm not then it's like maybe twice a month.

If all else fails I hang out with my cousin and play PC games, so better than nothing.

>> No.903209

I have one friend that is into retro gaming... a little bit... He's only okay at the games, and kinda retarded, but my other friends barely even tolerate them, as they suck so they die right away and then claim the game sucks.

It's really irritating.

>> No.903316

My brother loves retro games.

>> No.903329

Most of my friends are fine with playing retro games, enjoy them, know them well enough to talk about them etc. But I have one in particular who is almost "retro-only". His favorite game is Gargoyle's Quest 2.

>> No.903350

None of my friends care about retro gaming. I had one friend who'd participate in old action rpg type games but he was pretty bad at it.
I did find a girl who was pretty good at mario kart 64 but she didnt seem too into any other retro games.

>> No.903412

I have no decent friends anymore. only faggot colleagues. most remember the most popular games on PS1 and N64 and shit on PC like Diablo 1 and 2.

and that's fucking it. one guy I know likes older PC stuff but I think he never owned a console. he's kinda okay. I don't want to hang around with him though. there is another colleague who likes Castlevania stuff like Super Castlevania IV and reads a ton of comics but I have no contact with him either. even if that sounds bitter as fuck on my part, I think he's an asshole too and smells weird on top of that and has a disgusting mustache.

I don't care much about their preferences for video games. I'm kinda scarred too from school where there was stupid PS1 vs. N64 wars all the damn time and no tolerance for other games from other systems.

>> No.903565

I have a friend who always likes playing games on emulators at his house.

We bro-op'd some Gunstar Heroes last week and he finally completed the Pokedex on his Yellow version a few months ago.

>> No.903609

I have a great friend that ONLY will play retro games. He is a diehard who only purchases real hardware but IDGAF and emulate on wii. Usually we play fighters like mortal kombat 2 or darkstalkers.

He's a cool motherfucker and lives 4 blocks away so we usually meet once a week.

>> No.903645

>>903609
>MK2
My nigga!
Arcade or like snes or something?

You should play the turbo ninja hack with him for MK1, makes MK1 a lot more fun.

>> No.903714

>>903645
its been the snes version but that plays like dogshit so I bought the arcade collection on steam, hopefully will be better

i will check out the hack thanks

>> No.904187

I'd like to make some more friends who are into retro games. I like a lot of different systems, but right now I'm focused on Game Boy, Game Gear, SNES, PS1 and Dreamcast (even if it's not retro) but I love collecting things in the Megaman series. If anyone wants to become friends, let's talk! Add me on Skype. My name is in the email field.

>> No.904218

I don't even know people who play modern video games.

>> No.904223

My friend just don't give a shit about retro games
All I can really talk about with them are current PC games, except one of them I can talk about older PC games (Fallout, Planescap etc.) and another current console games.
The only guys I can talk to about retro games are two of my older brothers but I don't really have a close relationship with either of them.

>> No.904226

Nobody in my country gives a fuck about video games. At best you'll find a guy who bought an Xbox to play the newest Call of Duty or Fifa but that's about it.

>> No.904267
File: 240 KB, 458x438, dunno lol.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I don't have friends

>> No.904615

I have no friends who like old games. The only time I get to play them multiplayer is with my best bro who simply plays to humor me.

>> No.904647
File: 50 KB, 300x168, 1345414549456.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>904267

>> No.905327

A lot of my friends are speedrunners, so naturally they tend to play a lot of retro video games - mostly NES, SNES, and N64 stuff.

>> No.905334

>>905327
any with WRs?

>> No.905343

>>905334
A couple. Mostly acquaintances; the only guys who I personally know who have WRs are Peaches (Kid Chameleon, former Blast Corps WR holder, Doom 64) and another former Blast Corps WR holder.

>> No.905350

>>905343
that's pretty cool, I doubt I'll ever meet anyone who's that dedicated to playing a game.

>> No.905353

>>905350
Yeah, it's like getting a whole other level of replay value out of a game

>> No.905362

>friends
Don't really have any since college. I guess my girlfriend's sister's fiance is pretty cool. He's not into retro games, but he'll play them with me since we're about the same age and we grew up on the same shit.

>> No.905635

>>902916
Back in the day me and my friends really enjoyed playing the old Doom games and Smash TV, and I had a buddy who was a pretty big fan of the old Sonic games. I'll never forget when he got me the original Star Fox on my 18th birthday.

>> No.906517

>>904267
This. Everyone else at the university has plenty.

>> No.907954

>>905327

It sucks my friends are so damn casual. I wish I had some hardcore friends who are really into something. It might be a bit annoying if it's all they want to talk about, but I admire the dedication

>> No.907958

>>904226
which country? where I live it's pretty much the same. the vidya industry there is dead

>> No.907979

I have a friend that I play gen 1 Pokemon with, a friend that I play Zelda games with, and usually I can find another person and we play Smash or Mario Party or something, but none of my friends have a collection or anything like I do.

>> No.908010

One of my roommates plays quite a bit of Genesis, but that's about it.
I've got another friend who plays lots of NES/SNES
but I have yet to find anyone else who has a thing for the older stuff.
"Colecovision, what's that?"

>> No.908194
File: 67 KB, 600x300, RetroGamer100.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

To this day i enjoy playing my retro games to the games of today. May be old fashioned because i grew up in that era but i miss the challenge that the older games gave to gamer`s.

>> No.909289

I have four retrofriends.
We reclaimed an old abandoned house in the countryside (it has 2 rooms) and brought electricity there. Since then, we improved the structure of the house (one of them is a costruction engineer). Nowadays we meet and go there at least every two weeks. We emulate on a toaster laptop we found in the garbage, primarily because no one wants to leave their consoles there. Every now and then we pass the night there (when we can). Life is good man.

Recently, the former landlord's heir discovered us. A cool, rich-as-fuck guy, he let us stay by paying a symbolic rent of 3 euros\week.

>> No.909298

All my friends are nothing but retro gamers. We'll spend nights playing countless SNES, Genesis, or n64 gaems without ever touching a current gen system. Feels good

>> No.911851

>>902916
I'm the retro friend.

>> No.911879

Seeing as how I am 18, most of my friends are the same general age group, even 20+. I find it very easy to talk to these people about my retro collection because they all appreciate it, being raised in the same time period.
If anything, I am the gap. I have an Atari 2600 with no controllers or plugins, and 3 games. A lot of my friends get nostalgic over NES games.

>> No.911925
File: 668 B, 55x53, Pokemon_GSC_Hiker.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I know maybe one or two people in person, a few more online, who would actually be interested in them for more than a quick amusement factor. One of the rest of them caught me playing Kingdom Hearts on my PS2 and exclaimed "woah, retro!". Then again, they also thought Super Metroid was from the early '80s based on its graphics alone, and thought Minecraft is retro for its graphics.

>I will never have a Tetris Attack buddy to challenge each other every weekend

>> No.911969

>>911925

What about netplay with you buddies?

>> No.912015

>>911969
Nah, the only one who is actually interested enough to occasionally try a game with me likes the little oddities and limitations of old hardware, rather than the games themselves, so he's not interested in netplay. The only three bits of successful netplay I've managed are a couple of games of Tetris Attack (using my keyboard, it was terrible), one game of Super Smash Bros. with some IRC friends as a spur of the moment thing, and a tiny bit of messing around on a dungeon explorer game from a thread on here a few weeks ago, only managed to connect to see if it worked, walk around a bit and then I had to leave before the game actually started.

Besides, Tetris Attack is always more fun when you can see your opponent's reactions.

>> No.912036

I wish there were retro meet up threads for IRL fun times. ;-;

>> No.912185

>>912036

There are online people who might want to be your retro friend, give it a shot.

>> No.912192

I have a ton of friends who play games but all of them are only like playing current generation games with high-end graphics and FUN gameplay.

Sad, really..

>> No.912214

Used to have two Retrofriends

One is still around and loves retrogames, but only PC stuff. His parents thought console games would be too violent, and only let him play stuff on PC (See:Fallout), so he's never owned a console and never plays console games by himself. You want to talk about HoMM, Adventure Games, old ass RPGs, or anything like that though, and he's your guy.

The other was a pretty high tier Retro-wizard. He was a collector and actually played the games. He had at least beaten the first run through of Super Ghouls and Ghosts, and could pretty much mop the floor with anybody in any game. If I ever mentioned any retro game, he would know pretty much everything about it. He got a copy of Secrets of Mana, got the controller attachment peripheral, and me, him, and PCbro played through that in one night. Pretty much the best retrofriend there ever was.

He's not around anymore though, and there's nobody I can talk to about retro console games anymore. Kind of shitty.

>> No.912432

>>912185
internet cannot replace real life interaction :c

>> No.912597

>>912432
Where do you live?

>> No.912601

>>902916
My friends are all dead. There's one, but we don't talk that much anymore. I think she still likes old games.

>> No.912603

>>912597
toronto canada

>> No.912827

>>912603

>Toronto

Same here mah nigga
fuck this weather, amirite?

>> No.912867

Does a girlfriend count? She kick my ass in super mario, she brought her nintendo. Now I ordered super mario 3 and plan to be a little better than her.

>> No.912880

>>912603

Edmonton, AB fag here. Life here is barren, and so too are the retro games

>> No.912959

>>912827
yes. I don't have a/c lol

>> No.912974

>>912880
You think it's bad in Edmonton?

Try living in Hinton.

>> No.912979

>>912827
lets play some retro

>> No.912985
File: 926 KB, 1824x1368, The Room 14.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

my friends never were into retro vidya but my older brother and i occasionally co-op when he is visiting and when he don't have his hands full with his two daughters. (did a full run of turtles in time during thanksgiving)

on the plus side my girlfriend has shown some minor interest by playing bust-a-move 2: arcade edition for 3 hours straight and has played pokemon white 2 up to the elite 4. she mostly reads books,posts on facebook, and follows television shows i don't understand like glee and trueblood so it is not surprising she has difficulty playing games

>> No.912989
File: 10 KB, 480x360, 0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

this

http://youtu.be/vwgNnhM20TI

>> No.912996

>>912985
specs on pc?
do you emulate too?

>> No.912998
File: 304 KB, 800x700, 34974835_p0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I don't have any offline friends. I did once, but they weren't into retro games and I wouldn't call them friends, anyway.

I have a few friends on steam I talk to who play retro games, though. They're p. cool. I just wish netplay would work better with emulation.

I added ~5 people from /vr/ once and of those only kept one. Three of the others never actually talked about retro games, and the other one was batshit insane.

>> No.913004
File: 192 KB, 640x360, 2013-07-07 16-33-30.411.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>912996
i don't emulate but i do play quite a few games on steam like rogue legacy and borderlands 2 co-op with a friend.

pc is several years old but it works alright
intel i7-930
12gb memory (i don't know why i didn't just do 8)
nvidia geforce 460gtx
60gb ssd (for os to try it out)
1tb had drive for general storage
windows 7 64-bit

>> No.913025

>>912979
where you at?

>> No.913031

>>913025
Bloor and Ossington

>> No.913137

>>912974

I'd rather live in a small boring town than a pointlessly big, extremely boring city

>> No.913385

I've got one friend who has a bigger retro collection than me and we occasionally play some vidya together. My cousin also said he wants to play some SNES games with me next summer (he lives in another country and only visits for short periods).

>> No.913401
File: 1.07 MB, 1555x1162, IMG_0144.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

there is a huge and active retro community here in Germany so I have a lot of friends who are also into retro.

we have monthly meetings were we play together etc and several big meetings during the year.

pic related - game forum meetup woth 60 people

>> No.913404

i've managed to get my gf into it

her parents never let her have video games, and she's not that interested, but she likes to talk about it and ask questions to make me happy. Sometimes I feel bad for pushing this autistic shit on her, but she's pretty cool with it all.

>> No.913965

>>913401
Das ist sehr schoen.

>> No.913982

>>913401

That's way fucking sweet. I'm jealous

>>913404

If she makes you go shopping for clothes with her, I'd say it's a fair trade

>> No.914252

>>913982
>>913965

definitely fun! it's basically like a big con for retro gamers.

always fun discussing funny stuff with other people and meeting friends that you can't meet otherwise.

actually there are a lot of this meetings in Germany.

so I wonder if it has to do with the people.

I mean but there are also anime cons in the US, right?

>> No.914254

>>913404

good for you. my wife is asian and supposedly needs to understand retro games.

but all she does is play iOS games on my iPad.

>> No.914258

>>914252
>Anime cons in the US
Sie sind eine spezialle Art der Hoelle.

>> No.914270

>>914258

lol - I've gone to anime cons here in Germany.

it's actually fun - watching obese girls trying to wear EVA suits or almost no clothing at all..........no, wait..it's actually no fun.

>> No.914287

>>914270
Ich wuerde nur zu eine Anime Con gehen, zu Gunpla einkaufen.

Der Geruch ist widerlich.

>> No.914306

>>914287

haha - dann musst du mal im Sommer nach Tokio zur Comiket!

>> No.914313

>>914306
Einmal, Deutsch Anon, einmal.

>> No.914324

>>914313

hehe - Freund von mir (Japaner) war dort im Sommer 2007. Er hat gesagt es gerochen wie auf einer Müllhalde lol

>> No.914336

>>914324
Es ist wahrscheinlich die nur Zeit vielen Hikikimoris aus Hause gehen.

>> No.914367

>>914336
das ist gud

>> No.916551

>>909289
That's cool.

>> No.918224
File: 78 KB, 507x755, 1368158543520.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>909289
That is great (and possibly the plot outline for a horror film. Be careful!).