[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 39 KB, 466x468, index.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9016830 No.9016830 [Reply] [Original]

this is the best console game of all time. simple as.

>> No.9016846
File: 968 KB, 1968x2748, 7a70d03f535c165956f08fa258ba3dbd.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Always a pleasure to replay it. I was looking at a guide to the different scenes you could see, and was surprised by how many there were.

>> No.9016940

>>9016846
Was it a mistake or just a lie that the Director's Cut AND the Dualshock re-release were still censored despite being advertised as uncensored?

>> No.9016953

>>9016940
Mistake. They fixed some of it in the some of PAL versions and uncensored some of it. However IIRC some PAL versions still advertise the RE2 demo on the box despite it not being included.

These were throw-away re-releases probably done by 1-2 guys as fast as possible

>> No.9016957

RE 2 > RE 3 > RE1 > RE 4 > RE 5 > CV > REmake > Dead Aim > RE 6 > RE 0

>> No.9016958

>>9016957
Say it with me:
New
Bad
Old
Good

>> No.9017024

>>9016830
>console
>spent half of the time loading pictures for the backgrounds
nothing personal consolers

>> No.9017684

>>9016953
I had the pal version with the RE2 demo. I think I played the demo more than the full game. The hype was unreal.

>> No.9019135

>>9016957
Code Veronica is dogshit

>> No.9019369

I will play this for the first time today. Any tips?

>> No.9019919

>>9019369
play REmake instead.

>> No.9020009

>>9016958
Unironically yes. Neck yourself.

>> No.9020020

>>9019135
Instead of remaking 4 they should have done CV, this is the game that truly needed it.

>> No.9020165
File: 233 KB, 1024x1024, code veronica.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Why can't I get into this game? Did the internet give me brain damage? I don't believe I have ADHD but I'm finding this installment of the franchise boring and I loved all the fixed camera REs.
>Started with RE2 for psx when I was 11
>loved it and eventually my dad got me RE1 because he knew i loved Resident Evil. Thanks pops.
>played RE3 to death. It's how i spent the y2k ball drop just playing Mercenaries again and again
>angry that Dreamcast stole Code Veronica, shrugged it off
>got a gamecube one day and played REmake and RE0. REmake was/is so amazing to me
>ecstatic that RE4 was a GC exclusive felt like redemption for me
>enjoyed RE5 thanks to being able to play with a buddy
>never played RE6 because the demo just made me feel like it was too far gone for the franchise
>when RE VII came out I was busy with work and travel. Haven't played that or VIllage yet (saving them to play with wife around halloween time, want to get her to play a few more main titles first)
>Got back into RE2make and RE3make and enjoyed those.
>Over the pandemic finally played REmake with wife. She enjoyed it but she's probably just lovingly getting familiar to something she knows I love.
>Recently she played RE2make and afterwards i got into S+-ing those campaigns myself. Made me realize that although the 2nd scenarios arent as fleshed out as the original its a pretty tastefully modernized reimagining of the game.

>> No.9020174

>>9020165
continued

so back to Code Veronica. Didnt have time or means in the past to play it and when I did got turned off by the button mapping available from xbox but finally i was going to just play it on my pc even though id have to move shit around into other rooms but then i realized i could remap some buttons on the system level for xbox. Cool. Alright, time to get into Code Veronica. Finally an RE game that I haven't yet experienced in any form. But I can't seem to get into this game. It feels too linear and lacking tension. I just realized while typing this that there was no difficulty option so that's probably the issue. It feels too easy. I can either obliterate all the enemies or just run around them. There's no real decision making needed. And when I find an item there's little mystery to its use a lot of back tracking. I think the game would have been better off getting to do more in each area before going to the next area. I think the problem I'm having is this game lacks tension and its overly cheesy story doesn't make up for it. I feel like action and cheese was more harmonious in RE4. I'm also realizing that this game completely explains the jump from RE3/RE0 into something like RE4. Action, comical villains, etc. It feels like im cringe-ly seeing behind the curtain to how we got to RE4. I'm glad i didnt play it because RE4's culture shock departure from the fixed-camera games felt more innovative at the time as opposed to offputting. I think if I had played CV first, RE4 would have felt more like tumbling down a hill into shlock instead of dropping straight down into it. I've always loved Resident Evil but I honestly feel like just watching a play through for the rest of the story now that I hit the halfway point. (i was secretly hoping the tyrant in the plane was the end of the game so I could just write this game up as a lesser non-main title entry) But damn does that sound like the most zoomer thing to do. Can someone talk some sense into me?

>> No.9020741

>>9019369
don't listen to this faggot >>9019919
play the original it's far superior to the shity remake in every aspect, use the ultimate director cut mod or play the NDS version

>> No.9020743
File: 83 KB, 1024x1017, 1495192785865.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9016830
>this is the best console game of all time.

>> No.9020745

>>9020741
>MUH 32 BIT GRAFIX BRO IT WAS MY CHILDHOOD IT HAS TO BE BETTER
Remake is superior.

>> No.9020776

>>9020745
>Dude look this one has better graphics therefore it's superior!!!
fucking zoom zoom

>> No.9020779

>>9020174
If they ever remake CV I hope they carry on reusing scrapped concepts like they did with the RE2 remake and seem to be doing with 4. CV originally had a Wolfenstein-ish plot where the Ashfords (formerly Kruegers) were high ranking Nazis who fled after the war and the Umbrella logo was based on the Iron Cross. A lot of the odd stuff in the game makes more sense in light of that. Like the submarine, which was supposed to be the U Boat they fled on, and Alfred's Tiger tank or how the whole prison area looks like a stereotypical concentration camp. I even think the Antarctic base was actually supposed to be an old German outpost in New Swabia repurposed by the Ashfords/Umbrella.

>> No.9020794

>>9020165
>>9020174
there is nothing wrong with you Code Shitonica is regarded as the worst classic RE game (not counting meme irrelevant games like Gun Survivor or Gaiden) it's even worse than Zero but some faggots like to claim Zero is worse but that's only because Code Shitonica has the Dreamcast nostalgia bias to it
there is a reason why Capcom skipped giving it the remake treatment and went immediately to 4, they know it's shit and no remake can save it

>> No.9020813

Has anyone made a truly uncensored PS1 version that will boot on original hardware?

>> No.9020815

>>9020794
Code Veronica just felt janky as fuck coming from 3. Apparently it was outsourced? That would explain a lot. It also feels like someone in charge got jealous of Silent Hill and tried to include sort of a half-assed psychological horror angle with the creepy twins. That whole thing felt really out of place compared to the first 3 games.

>> No.9020875

>>9020815
yeah it wasn't developed by Capcom which explains why it felt inferior to 3 despite coming after it however Mikami was the producer which makes it even more bizarre to why the fuck he greenlighted all the odd decisions in Code Shitonica, even simple things like not being able to walk/run freely down/up the stairs and instead you have this janky ass walking animation everytime you try to go up/down the stairs was a baffling
>someone in charge got jealous of Silent Hill and tried to include sort of a half-assed psychological horror angle with the creepy twins
i don't think so, the ""Le villain is actually suffering from personality split disorder!!!'' is a common cliche in horror movies and RE was always a B horror movie shit since day 1 and Capcom didn't even try to hide it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GyOYaDHquE

RE4 was the game i believe someone in the writing team was jealous by Silent Hill and so they did the whole shit about Los Illuminados cult and their weird isolated religion similar to the religion of Silent Hill and the Order
and Salazar looks like a cheesy rip off of Claudia from SH3

>> No.9020962

>>9020815
>>9020875
Alfred is an extremely obvious nod to Norman Bates. Only zoomer retards post the “cross dressing freak” image not knowing the context.

>> No.9021001

>>9020962
zoomers never watched Psycho other than a youtube clip of the shower stabbing scene

>> No.9023161

I think it's really close between re1 and remake, both are must plays and probably the 2 greatest games of all time

>> No.9023494

>>9020779
They have a new origin for the Umbrella logo in 8.

>> No.9023516

>>9016957
RE4 > REmake > RE2 > RE2make > RE3 > RE1 > RE5 > RE7 > RE8 > [[GAMES STOP BEING GOOD FROM THIS POINT]] > RE3make > RE6 > RE0 >>>>> CV >> CVX

>> No.9023618

>>9016830
that is the console game of all time. simple as.

>> No.9024035

>>9020875
Did you even play any of the old Resident Evils you fucking nitwit? ALL of them before Code Veronica had the same stair walk animation. Do us all a favor and never post here again because you have no idea what you’re talking about. Pathetic piece of shit.

>> No.9024101
File: 29 KB, 600x696, 100%.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9020745
>Remake is superior

It really fucking is. I normally dislike most remakes and modern attempts at exploiting nostalgia but jesus, REmake was faithful as fuck. It's basically the same game. Same rooms, same camera angles, same items, same mechanics. It's 90% identical, it looks and controls better, and they kept the same b-tier movie vibe to the dialogue while losing the pure cringe parts. It is the best version of the game, which it ought to be since it's the same fucking game made with hindsight using better technology by people who knew to only fix what was broken. I played the PS1 version. I love the PS1 version. It still plays great and there's nothing really wrong with it. But it has been surpassed. Deal with it.

>> No.9024112

>>9024035
No they didn't. You can do whatever the fuck you want on stairs in 3 instead of pressing a button to use them like 1, 2, and CV.

>> No.9024587

>>9024101
While I agree I would suggest this. Play the original now. And on the day you complete it put a reminder in your calendar from 1 year from then and play REmake. You'll have the most respect for both that way and get to enjoy both experiences well. You could even play RE2 in the mean time. All scenarios. Hell even RE3.

>> No.9025252

>>9024035
>ALL of them before Code Veronica had the same stair walk animation
they did not you fucking poser, go play them first before opening your ass

>> No.9025312

>tfw recognize REmake is the better version but still prefer to play the original RE1, or even the DS version
i can't help it bros. its probably the nostalgia that's the main driving factor since i didn't actually play REmake for myself until the Steam release, but original RE1 is just so cozy to me. and the shittier dialogue/VA is more fun to listen to. that being said, one factor i do genuinely think is better in the original is the color, REmake is just so desaturated and it all looks so consistently greyscale and dark, wether you're inside or outside, wether you're in the main mansion, or Lisa's shed, it all kind of looks the same. compared to the more lit up mansion in the original that i like, it's got this garish like 60's wallpaper and floorboards put down in the hallways and rooms like the pool table room in the guesthouse etc. i think they tried a bit too hard in making the mansion look "spoooky" in the REmake by just making everything dark or candle-lit.

>> No.9025323

>>9016957
>REmake that low
actually based
that game misses the point of RE

>> No.9025324

>>9025312
>tfw recognize REmake is the better version
it's not

>> No.9025441

>>9016940
French and german PAL had uncensored and coloured intro.

>> No.9025890

>>9025323
no it doesn't

>> No.9025909

>>9016953
>These were throw-away re-releases probably done by 1-2 guys as fast as possible
Nah, seems like it was meant to be the definitive RE1, especially Arranged Mode with its backgrounds that are closer to the quality of RE2 and far improved over the original release's backgrounds.
It was likely just an error for the guys inserting the FMVs. The German PAL release had the uncensored opening, and that was likely the one meant to get the censored one. Probably a file mix up.

>> No.9025928

>>9024101
It really isn't the same game. Sure, a lot of the rooms are "the same", but a number of them get heavily reduced, like the library being turned from a 3 room area that foreshadows the final area, into a shitty boss arena that actively makes the second Yawn boss easier.
A lot of the additions also aren't great. A lot of linear halls, made the sword key a mandatory first key and gave the keys a set order (which is a baffling decision for an exploration game), and the backtracking is absurd. The caves leading into the lab was natural and worked, but once you finish the caves you have to run ALL THE WAY BACK to the main hall. Sucks.

There's other issues like Barry's survival being reduced to one Yes/No choice, Rebecca losing her save room introduction, optional or altered events are pretty much completely removed, etc.

>> No.9025939

>>9020174
>It feels too linear and lacking tension.
The game is like the reverse of a typical RE, where it starts linear and opens up more as it goes on (the final area is a 3 piece item hunt where you can collect the pieces in any order), and the first area in particular is the most anti-RE thing possible, it's four little areas you explore all at once. I like, a lot of people don't though.
>I just realized while typing this that there was no difficulty option so that's probably the issue
The North American version is locked to the Japanese Normal difficulty. Japan had two extra difficulties, Easy and Very Easy.

If you're not having fun by the time you fight the plane tyrant, you probably won't like the rest of the game. You can try the next area though, much like RE3 the second half is split into several smaller sections.

>> No.9026158

>>9025890
yea it does

>> No.9026171 [DELETED] 

>>9016957
honestly looking at it again, this list isn't 100% what I agree on, but it's pretty damn close.
I don't rate RE5 higher than CV
Also RE3 is my favorite but I can see RE2 being above it