[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 83 KB, 512x372, dk64.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8973519 No.8973519 [Reply] [Original]

>SOUL out the whazoo, arguably the most atmospheric DK game
>Graphics, animations and worlds are gorgeous and of high quality, sprawling with creativity and character
>Soundtrack, while no Wise, is fantastic with very atmospheric tracks that perfectly compliment their stages
>Fuckhuge in every sense of the word; The memory pak allows for sprawling levels absolutely riddled with secrets
>Five playable characters, each with their own unlockable skills and abilities. Plus Motherfucking guns, nigga
>All the classic DKC stuff is accounted for; Mine carts, jungles, kremlings, factories, pirate ships, etc
>The game is fucking slog to actually play, basically amounting to a list of busywork chores that reward you with even more redundant chores for completing them with no nuance or strategy, just go to point A to B.

To this day it defies belief how Rare managed to get literally EVERYTHING right about this game except the gameplay

>> No.8973534
File: 662 KB, 1835x1345, dk64_areas.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Absolutely loved the game as a kid and would religiously watch the intro every time I booted the game, but re-visiting it I honestly get bored to tears around the factory level.

Which is a shame, because the game has a ton of shit to love >>8973519, and I hold that its the DK game with the most atmosphere and character; Its just that it isn't very fun to play.

I did do a run with the swap anywhere mod last year, but even if you circumvent a lot of the busywork of just swapping a character, there really isn't much "to" DK64. Hit a switch, go into the cave that opened, shoot the balloon with the right characters gun, etc. Either that, or some bare-bones mini-game. None of the enemies pose any real threat to you since they are very basic and you have access to an instant kill attack that almost never runs out and can be refilled easily (Not that you need it since again, the enemies are really easy) and there is very little in the way of real platforming.

Arguably character swapping IS the challenge; "How do I get to this spot with Diddy after opening up the door with Lanky" type puzzles or optimizing routes so you swap your Kong the least amount of times - but these are far and few in-between.

>> No.8973592

Dk64 is bad. They traded the the well-executed movement and levels of the SNES games for a very weird and slow collecting "game"

>But it's soulful!!
Compared to the original trilogy? It's nothing but cringe.

>> No.8973618

>SOUL out the whazoo, arguably the most atmospheric DK game
>Soundtrack, while no Wise, is fantastic with very atmospheric tracks that perfectly compliment their stages
>All the classic DKC stuff is accounted for; Mine carts, jungles, kremlings, factories, pirate ships, etc
it's highly cartoonish, not even just compared to DKC. sound effects and music are nonstop "bonkers xylophone!" levels all feel like they're from a scooby doo prototype with places like wacky aztec and spoopy castle. the new kongs are embarrassing and all make ridiculous noises non-stop, you have fruit guns and instrument attacks, and yes, there is a rap
>Graphics, animations and worlds are gorgeous and of high quality, sprawling with creativity and character
aside from the lack of taste explored above, the texture mapping is just awful though i'm willing to cut it some slack since it IS the N64 after all. just in >>8973534 things that bother me are (1) the awkward line between the trees and the rainy haze (3) the sore-thumb gradient that's supposed to pass for like moss i think? (8) the way the branches just end arbitrarily
>Fuckhuge in every sense of the word; The memory pak allows for sprawling levels absolutely riddled with secrets
levels are just webs of flat rooms that each have a pad, a button, a balloon, a trail of bananas, a few coins, and a dude with a blueprint piece. nothing is interestingly hidden, and nearly everything you do to acquire a banana is essentially just a switch you activate, there's rarely platforming challenge

>> No.8973625

>>8973519
It's not fun though.

>> No.8973631

>>8973625
>though

>> No.8974138

>>8973519
My wife and I’s first game. In fact, talking about Donkey Kong 64 together is partially responsible for us getting to know each other better at school. I may be married because of this damn game. In fact, I can call her and say “GOLD BANANA” right now and she would smile.

>> No.8974149 [DELETED] 

>>8974138
reddit moment

>> No.8974150

Why was Miyamoto so defensive about people who liked donkey Kong? He said something like in the mushroom kingdom dk and his race contribute nothing and just steal items make music and sleep and that he thought they were stupid characters? why would he make donkey Kong and then complain that people liked him?

>> No.8974154 [DELETED] 

>>8974149
>having a wife is reddit
ngmi

>> No.8974160

>>8974150
I'm assuming you're shitposting but if it's legit then I mean. DK as we know him is totally Rare's creation, not Miyamoto. He just made DK as a King Kong ripoff for Mario to beat up.

>> No.8974173

>>8974160
Why would I shitpost about that I don’t understand

>> No.8974186

the bosses are great

>> No.8974230 [DELETED] 

>>8974149
Dude. Its not /pol/. People on this board actually do have spouses

>> No.8974386 [DELETED] 

>>8973519
>>SOUL out the whazoo, arguably the most atmospheric DK game
all you need is sovl gameplay is for lest test betacuck libtards

>> No.8974493

>>8973519
>To this day it defies belief how Rare managed to get literally EVERYTHING right about this game
BASED
> except the gameplay
ED on lies!!!!

>> No.8974539

>>8973618
>it's highly cartoonish, not even just compared to DKC. sound effects and music are nonstop "bonkers xylophone!" levels all feel like they're from a scooby doo prototype with places like wacky aztec and spoopy castle. the new kongs are embarrassing and all make ridiculous noises non-stop, you have fruit guns and instrument attacks, and yes, there is a rap
You are literally insane.

If you genuinely believe even one-tenth of this garbage tripe and are not just shitposting for a reaction - seriously, get yourself checked out. Not even going to read the rest of your post.

>> No.8974540 [DELETED] 

>>8974149
You do realize that people have real lived experiences for reasons other than upvotes right?

>> No.8974573
File: 170 KB, 808x454, 1625752836879.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

my biggest disappointment is that nobody tried to give 3d kongs another go. 64 had a lot of rehashing, padding, and bad stuff in general but there was a lot of good in there too. At least there are no more beavers

>> No.8974804

>>8974573
>>8973519
I think its interesting to look at the complains tossed at tooie and dk64 and see them repeat basically all the same issues in yooka laylee.
Its like they learned nothing in two decades, as the postives were still mostly the same but the negatives were the same shit too.

>> No.8975014

>>8974573
and all it would take for a spiritual successor is a campaign added to mario party, imagine instead of five kongs you explore the mushroom kingdom and switch between the super mario cast of like 10 characters

>> No.8975339

>>8973631
dumbass

>> No.8976759

>>8974539
great argument

>> No.8976772
File: 1.47 MB, 215x200, diddyrap.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8973618
>it's highly cartoonish, not even just compared to DKC. sound effects and music are nonstop "bonkers xylophone!" levels all feel like they're from a scooby doo prototype with places like wacky aztec and spoopy castle. the new kongs are embarrassing and all make ridiculous noises non-stop, you have fruit guns and instrument attacks, and yes, there is a rap
Most of this was present in the DKC games. I think it's just the N64 hardware allowing devs to make all this shit more obvious and faithful to their visions, for better or worse.

>> No.8976832
File: 947 KB, 690x729, dkc.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8976772
>Most of this was present in the DKC games.
>sound effects and music are nonstop "bonkers xylophone!"
not even a little bit
>levels all feel like they're from a scooby doo prototype with places like wacky aztec and spoopy castle.
same sorts of archetypes but done far more tastefully
>the new kongs are embarrassing and all make ridiculous noises non-stop
with the exception of kiddy kong the characters and their chimpouts were all pretty minimal and amusing, and none of them (even kiddy) make noises just when doing moves. whereas chunky and lanky you have to hear tard shit just from using their attacks
>you have fruit guns and instrument attacks
no
>there is a rap
the difference being scale. diddy's celebration is a <10 second flair you might hear if he's in the lead and you hit the target hard enough, and it's essentially just a wordless jingle. the dk rap, while skippable, is minutes long and pushed onto you right up front, like they were proud of it.

>> No.8977087

>>8976832
I thought about it more and yeah, you're right. I think its the existence of DKC3 thats helping me bridge DKC and DK64 when it comes to tone & aesthetic. DKC1/2 is definitely super different from DK64. I guess there's a good reason while DKC3 has always been seen as the black sheep. They even redid its entire OST for the GBA port.

>> No.8977101

>>8973519
I couldn't agree more.
I just loved the world and the graphics. I can't believe they had such a distinct continuity with the SNES titles, aesthetically speaking. Most games that transitioned from 2D to 3D did not have such luck.

Too bad Rare was so autistic about Banjo-Kazooie and made it a collectathon. The game is so boring and sluggish there's nothing even remotely enjoyable about it other than the atmosphere.
Had they leaned more into the action-platformer setting instead of the collecting I can only imagine what its legacy would be

>> No.8977172
File: 11 KB, 480x360, hqdefault (2).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8973519

It goes up from a 6/10 to 7.5/10 with the "switch anywhere" hack.

Also, you forgot the most important part.

HE

>> No.8977209

>>8977087
if anything dkc3 is even more muted and somber than 1 and 2, it's just kiddy kong and the weird baby shit that could reasonably fit in with 64

>> No.8977276

>>8977172
No it goes from a 10/10 to still a 10/10 you fucking nigger.

>> No.8977302

>>8973519

DK64 was absolute vidya kino. I never beat it though. I got to the part where you had to beat the first three levels of the original DK and quit never to pick it back up. This thread makes me want to revisit that game. People always complain about MUH BACKTRACKING! Then praise shitter series like Metroid prime for doing the exact same thing but even more boring because you're playing the same character. At least you get to play a different character when backtracking in DK64.

Anyone who genuinely dislikes DK64 either never played it or is a filtered parrot.

>> No.8977304

The switch everywhere ruins the game for me. The whole challenge is mapping out routes. If you can switch anywhere it becomes the exact caricature of a chore simulator that everybody always writes it off as. Whereas playing the game as individual kongs is more like having 5 small scale Banjo Kazooie levels within each world

>> No.8977440

>>8973519
>slow as fuck game
>yawn inducing mechanics
>tedious as hell to complete 100%
>but muh soul
/vr/ moment

>> No.8977443

>>8977440
Did you even read their post you retard?

>> No.8977551

>>8974160
I kinda agree Rare breathed life in a dead IP. Also DK64 was a good game, it was on par with the collectathon games that are still being made today. Also, I liked the fungi forest alot.

>> No.8977569

>>8977440
Not really, you can beat the game pretty quickly without cheats. And yes 100% any game should be a yawn fest. Very few 100% games and those that do, that pursuit is on you.

>> No.8978503

>>8973519
>>SOUL out the whazoo, arguably the most atmospheric DK game
Agreed. Donkey Kong 64's atmosphere is incredible when you compare it to other 3D games at the time.
>>Graphics, animations and worlds are gorgeous and of high quality, sprawling with creativity and character
Nah graphically it was noticeably a downgrade from Banjo Kazooie
>>Soundtrack, while no Wise, is fantastic with very atmospheric tracks that perfectly compliment their stages
Even though I think Banjo soundtracks are better I still agree with this.
>>Fuckhuge in every sense of the word; The memory pak allows for sprawling levels absolutely riddled with secrets
Meh, I preferred Banjo Tooie's huge worlds
>>Five playable characters, each with their own unlockable skills and abilities. Plus Motherfucking guns, nigga
Only Tiny is fun to control though
>>All the classic DKC stuff is accounted for; Mine carts, jungles, kremlings, factories, pirate ships, etc
Agreed
>>The game is fucking slog to actually play, basically amounting to a list of busywork chores that reward you with even more redundant chores for completing them with no nuance or strategy, just go to point A to B.
Agreed. Every obstacle just being "hit this obvious switch with the right gun" or "use the right character on this pad" made exploration so boring. Didn't feel organic at all.

>> No.8978980

>>8978503
>Agreed. Every obstacle just being "hit this obvious switch with the right gun" or "use the right character on this pad" made exploration so boring. Didn't feel organic at all.
You are such a fucking moron.

>> No.8979120

>>8978980
He's right though. That's literally the majority of the game.

>> No.8979216

>>8979120
There are some very obvious golden bananas. I know some people dislike that, I like the experience getting them anyway because they are generally set up in an interesting way. You get them out of the way quickly, then you have to explore to find all the remaining golden bananas and many are tough to get.

Unlike most games where 100%ing is optional (101% in this game), you are clearly supposed to get every golden banana in this game. You can complete the game without getting every one, however it's literally bright arrows flashing pushing you towards the idea of collecting them all. The easy bananas are just meant to ease you into it, to help you to get to different parts of the level and to know the level. Hopefully you understand better now.

>> No.8979370

>>8974150
>In the miyamotoverse donkey kong is a nigger
He doesn't like blacks does he.

>> No.8981529

Is it really as bad as people ITT make it out to be? DKC is my favorite trilogy of all time, but I never got around to play DK64. Should I?

>> No.8981621
File: 79 KB, 475x886, dk.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8981529
While it certainly has problems, its nowhere near as awful as some people would have you think. I'd say its worth a shot as long as you are aware that its more of a Banjo-Kazooie clone than a traditional DKC game. If I were to suggest a "way" to play it, its don't stress out about 100% it because it will probably make you hate it - Just casually run through it and do whatever takes your interest.

>> No.8981721

>>8981529
Just have fun playing the game. It is fun.

>> No.8982371

>>8981529
>Is it really as bad as people ITT make it out to be?
No. Just compared to Banjo Kazooie and Tooie is pales in almost every way, and it's clearly inferior to DKC

>> No.8982665

>>8981529
Not really, it's fine but I hesitate to call it good. It's more of a slower and less interesting Banjo Tooie. If you go into it expecting something like the DKC games I think you might be disappointed. Even if you go into it expecting something on the same tier as the banjo games you might be disappointed.

>> No.8982841

>>8974138
It's "Ohhhh banana," anon. Your marriage and life are a lie.

>> No.8982852

>makes you beat DK arcade to fight the final boss
>kicks you out of it every time you lose
>makes you initiate a 3-hour cutscene of DK pulling the lever to get back in every time

>> No.8982862

>>8982852
why the fuck did they make that mandatory to fight the final boss. I finished the arcade once, forgot it was even a thing and then was extremely confused on how to get the last door open.

>> No.8983169

>>8981529
Do it nigger

>> No.8984724

>>8981529
Play it as a curiosity. You won't love it, but it's an interesting experience because of how weird it is.

>> No.8984750

>>8973519
Overhated game, much better than Banjo Kazooie