[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 58 KB, 1280x720, Sh2_coin_old_man2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8922642 No.8922642 [Reply] [Original]

30+ thread, what games have you been playing this week? Give it a quick rate too

>> No.8922657

>>8922642
being 30+ is not recommended
i would give it a 6.5/10

>> No.8922659

I beat Blaster Master and Metroid for the first time on NES, never beat them before.

Blaster Master is a solid 8/10, the game does have flaws
>area 2 sucks major ass
shame the worst area in the game arrives so quickly.
>backtracking to area 1 once you beat Wall 1 p-up in area 3 isn't very clear
>once you get Wall 2, the controls suck ass
Gee I love sticking to the ground and walls like glue and drive down spikes when all I want is to jump above them! you have to be a good 5 pixels pixels away from the edge if you want to be able to jump which goes against every jumping instinct taught in old games

>> No.8922670

I'm gonna play a bard's tale remastered pretty soon, other than I was playing cyberpunk 2077, it's 10/10 in my book, too bad they fuck up too many things outside/inside the game

>> No.8922682

Hearts of Iron 4. I'm determied one day to win a game. I find playing as a major power way too overwhelming. 7/10.

>> No.8922721
File: 18 KB, 498x520, 1644936292667.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I don't play any games these days. I tell myself that I don't have the time for it, but the truth is that something inside of me has changed over the years and I just don't feel the magic anymore, even when going back to games I used to love. It's like the mechanics feel artificial and forced, and by playing them, I feel like a hamster on a wheel who just doesn't feel anything by running on it anymore. But I don't feel liberated from the wheel: I just feel like there's a part of me that is missing. Something taken from me, but the space that it used to fill hasn't been replaced, so it's just there. Empty. It stares at me and I stare back and we're both confused. Like I'm a different person, infused with the memories of someone else, capable of replay them over and over, but unable to relate to them. Like it all happened to someone else. Like someone on a strange place who doesn't know how he got there.

I feel confused and lost, friends.

>> No.8922738

>>8922721
you're gay. I'm 35 and games are still rad. if you're burnt out on games, like everybody gets from time to time, then try other things. Games will still be there when you feel like playing them again.

>> No.8922767

>>8922721
I can't play games like before because I got visual snow, enjoy what you have

>> No.8922789

>>8922721
as >>8922738 said, it could just be burn out. Not just due to playing too many vidya, but it could also be general burnout from life and all the adult responsibilities, which then affects your ability to sit down and enjoy the vidya. Maybe you just need a bit of time put aside to play some games guilt and stress free. Also as that anon said, you're gay.

>> No.8922797

>>8922767
Sorry to hear that. It does put things into perspective for me. Hope you get better.

>> No.8922845

Probably going to wrap up Chrono Cross.

>> No.8922875

>>8922659
i never beat this but loved it as a kid
i still fuck around on the maps to this day

>>8922721
study the words of jesus

>> No.8922916

Got Duckstation and Retroarch working on my Xbox. Playing JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (PS1) and just beat it, Racing Lagoon (just started) along with Tetris CDi and Outrunners here and there.

>> No.8922923
File: 101 KB, 704x448, 93641.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Have Rhea in my Saturn so I've been going through a list of recommended good games for the system.

This week I tested Panzer Dragoon II and Iron Storm.
Iron Storm really hooked me yesterday. It's a WWII hex-strategy game. Very similar to Advance Wars but a bit more complex. I subestimated it and got my shit pushed in the first level because of that.
After just one day I expect it to be rated equal or greater than 7/10.

Besides that, I'm playing pokemon yellow in the gameboy. Have never played a pokemon game before. It's a good game and easy to learn. Anybody else can give a better rate than me. I'm a first timer. I have just beaten 4 gyms.

>> No.8922940
File: 179 KB, 483x680, spooks-n-specters.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8922642
I'm currently exploring a crippling feeling of personal unfulfillment resulting in deep-set generational resentment (2/5).
Also Ghouls 'n Ghosts on the Genesis; I just learnt it was developed in-house by Sega, with Capcom having nothing to do with it beyond handing them the license. Fantastic port considering the cart size but probably too easy in comparison to the original (4/5)

>> No.8922945

>>8922721
maybe you're getting depressed
i also stopped playing for years
i'm positive doing exercise has changed my life for the better and i started to enjoy playing games again
but it's different than before, i can't play more than 2 hours before feeling burnt

>> No.8922958
File: 106 KB, 640x480, diablo-ii-gold-edition-wallpaper-2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Diablo 2 Resurrected on the Switch
We live in an era where I can play on PC then continue on the couch, bed, toilet, at work, even offroad with a mobile hotspot.
Sometimes life's comfy.

>> No.8923008

>>8922721
You might be cynical. Old games were good, but you already know how they play out. And the new games, well... they're crap. The corporations care about the cash mostly. Graphics is all that they god. Even every fucking soundtrack is fucking terrible. Compare NFS Underground 2's soundtrack to fucking Forza Horizon 5's. The latter's soundtrack is literally made for 8 to 10 years olds. You need something new and good.

>> No.8923045

>>8922721
I feel like this, but mostly with time-consuming games. Unless they're unusually well written or have exceptional gameplay in some way I'm just not interested in them the way I used to be.

I still love shmups though, and have a new-found interest for more challenging boomer games that I never cared about as a kid, like Prince of Persia. Generally games that are easy to pick up and play for short bursts.

>> No.8923119

I'm debating on starting a playthrough of Mario RPG or Majora's Mask. I would expect either to take me close to a year because of parenting, housework, fitness, and work.

It's hard to even want to start a new playthrough of anything because I have so little time for sessions that I lose my place or motivation before I can get anywhere.

>> No.8923147

>>8922642
HMM3 10/10
Duke Nukem 3D 9/10
Total Annihilation Commander Pack 8/10 (needs a mod for troop formation feature like Myth below has)
Myth Fallen Lords 8/10

does anyone know any other websites like Zombie's Lair and The Collection Chamber?

>> No.8923167

Rocket League is the game I mostly play because matches are quick and I can drop it after about 30 minutes. As far as retro, though:

Been playing Ocarina of Time for the first time ever. It’s the GameCube version, since the only Nintendo console I have is a Wii. Pretty good game, but I just reached the Water Temple and am feeling kinda burned out on these gigantic dungeons. So far it’s an 8/10 for me, but I can definitely see why the game blew everyone‘s minds when it first came out.

Also been playing Harvest Moon: Back to Nature on my Vita. Have been very closely following a calendar guide and it’s made the game no longer comfy, but rather a very stressful, tedious experience. I love the game dearly so giving it a fair rating is hard, but it’s probably a 7/10 just because of how absurdly obscure everything is. There is SO much that can be very easily missed that it’s actually insane.

I’m in the middle of a few other titles here and there, but lately I’ve been trying to spend more free time studying and exercising. I’m past the point of valid excuses for the current state of my life.

>> No.8923183

>>8922958
Started up D2R again last night; played it for like 6 hours nonstop. It’s honestly just so much worse than the modded versions of D2 that I can’t help but feel like I’m just wasting my time when I play it.

>> No.8923192

>>8922945
2 hours is more than enough, desu.

>> No.8923203

>>8922642
Been playing MUDs. I never actually played one before as a kid, I wish I discovered them earlier. I still don’t know if I would have preferred them over RuneScape and eventually Wow.

I’m searching for a role play enforced game that isn’t a gloried erp chatroom. I’ve seen videos of old EverQuest role play and it seems fun, sadly rp on mmos is dead unless it’s erp.

The two MUDs I’ve found which are roleplay enforced are pay to play and have a ton of microtransactions. It’s depressing. I’d love to play Dragonrealms as it has hundreds of active players and mandatory rp but the microtransactions are absolutely insane.

>> No.8923449

>>8922642
I played the first GI Joe for the NES. It was a nice take on a platformer/run and gun like Contra, you have a few characters to select from with their own weapons and stats. I haven't played it since the NES was still in full swing.

I played several rom hacks as well, Final Fantasy Negative One was ok as an addition to FF1, Super Mario 3 Adventure has neat concepts but is far harder than the original. I was mostly trying them out to get an idea about romhacking though as I've started learning how to code for 6502 processors.

>> No.8923465

>>8922642
Thief: Deadly Shadows all prettied up on PC. I am downgrading from OLED to Neo QLED because I am so tired of burn-in paranoia in old PC games/strategy/CRPGs. This game will surely tell if I can tolerate LED anymore, even at its best.

>> No.8923472

>>8922659
I always hated the overhead parts.
>dude shooting blocks
8 way shooting without directional lock has always felt trash, too.

>> No.8923481

playing some alien arcade game
the run n gun one

>> No.8923489

>>8923183
Worse how? Gameplay wise I find it to be pretty much the same. That said, I'm not a hardcore Baal running dude.

>> No.8924858

Heretic 2. Its too early to rate since I just barely started but lets just say going from 1st person view to 3rd wasa big fowngrade from the classic.

>> No.8925592

>>8923489
Path of Diablo and Project Diablo II have way more QoL, more content, more interesting gear and class balances, better trade sites (well, PD2’s kinda sucks), and a very active community without bots. All D2:Resurrection has going for it is the graphical overhaul, which is pretty nice but not really enough to justify investing the kind of time a gambling addict like myself would invest into a game like D2.

>> No.8925595

>>8922657
I'm turn 27 soon and I'm honestly kinda looking forward to it. Years 1 through 24 fucking sucked though

>> No.8925620
File: 2.31 MB, 2628x2371, 20220519_173646.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I have been playing Tomb Raider for the first time here and there. It's one of those action/adventure platformers that really scratch an itch of walking around and exploring a level, then figuring out how to get from point A to point B with your skill set. Only other game I've played similar to it was Prince of Persia: Sands of Time. It is surely a minimum of an 8/10 from what I've played so far.

I also completed Sly Cooper 2 yesterday. I just didn't enjoy it as much as the first game. Controlling Sly is more fun than Bently or Murray. Then the amount of mini games have been stepped up from the first game and you're continually traversing through the open world rather than some more linear platforming bite sized challenges like the first game. It's above average, but I can't recommend it. Around a 6/10 for me.
>>8922958
Yeah I got it for the Switch as well and poured an absurd amount of time before I dropped it (over 500). The controller works well with melee classes.
>>8922945
Depending on the game I often only put in 1~2 hours. There aren't as many that I feel compelled to constantly do an all day session.

>> No.8925724

>>8922642
i played tony hawk pro skater 3 on PS2 and its a fun game but i cant help but feel like there isnt a lot of content and you are just expected to replay the game with different skater.

>> No.8925761

>>8923465
I need to go back and give Thief 3 a fair chance, I remember writing it off at the time as being too different from 1 and 2, which are a couple of my favorite games of all time