[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 136 KB, 260x369, MSSagacover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8919770 No.8919770 [Reply] [Original]

Post a retro game that objectively was terrible but it had at least 1 aspect to it that you really enjoyed.
Pic related for me, I loved building frankenstein monstrosities of mechs in this game.

>> No.8921678

is this game really terrible? it's been sitting on my hard drive for a long time.

>> No.8921684

>>8921678
It's a collection of neat ideas that didn't know how to implement any of them well. It relies far too much on grinding to solve problems, and even then there's inherent flaws like you only get a certain number of items required to make more mobile suits and can't get more so you're basically restricted to only being able to build 1 of each suit.

>> No.8922205
File: 212 KB, 1000x1392, D01FF683-FC4C-474C-8A50-2F7E4E6AF2BF.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Can’t think of anything older, but Balan sort of fits the bill as it feels like an old Dreamcast title. The worst part is when you look into the games development and see just how much of that hard to attain “soul” factor it had, but one bad move pretty much killed it as well as Yuji Naka’s career.
It had:
>a god tier art direction with a ton of art to boot (it’s sad it’ll never get an art book)
>a comfy ost
>a feelsy setting and story (though you had to read the novel to get the full story)
>a handful of nice levels
>fun to break with powers in the same way the old megaman games were
>some genuinely good bosses
>tons of hidden mechanics, including a weird hard mode

… but, the fact they handed off the actual development portion of the game to a no name developer really shows. The one button control scheme and how long it takes to switch costumes is a real drag, and some of the levels feel like an AI designed them (which it actually did). Not to mention just how awful the Balan Bouts are and what a pain resetting them is. I wouldn’t say it’s near as bad as journalists or youtubers made it out to be, especially seeing as some of them didn’t even know how to use the dressing room mechanic, but sadly it’s just not a good game either. Still, I personally like the positives enough to put up with it, and like I alluded to earlier, it makes me nostalgic even though it isn’t that old.

>> No.8922718
File: 166 KB, 1224x1632, save2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How much is my open copy worth anon?

>> No.8923079

>>8921678
Humongous amount of grinding necessary.
Building more than one copy of a mech is prohibitive until near endgame.
Normal attacks become so weak near the end that the only feasible strategy near the end (and in the bonus dungeon) is to use then "Fire all weapons" skill that only two of your characters have.

Shield Zakus: enemy type that deadlocks battles. They will attract all physical attacks towards themselves, and they have really high defense. You have to deal with them ASAP.

>> No.8923381

>>8923079
>Shield Zakus: enemy type that deadlocks battles. They will attract all physical attacks towards themselves, and they have really high defense. You have to deal with them ASAP.
Grenades ignore defense

>> No.8923786

>>8923381
They attract all attacks while charging their FUCK YOU special attack.
MS Saga isn't a bad game at all, it's actually one of the few games where random battles aren't just "mash X to win", because you have stuff like Shield Zakus and those guys that shoot your legs off.
That's probably why the hardest battle in the game is a mix of a boss with some of those normal units. One I remember is 1 Tallgeese + 4 Leos. The Leos are trash, but their synergy with the Tallgeese and with each other is remarkable.