[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 29 KB, 266x264, s-l300.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8909717 No.8909717 [Reply] [Original]

Just bought this on steam and holy shit the nostalgia is insane. This was the very first game I ever stayed up until the middle of the night playing as a wee lad, and now I'm doing it again 20+ years later.

It's crazy how much easier this game is than I remember. Ranks E through C are a joke, and rank B isn't that bad either. I took a Worm/Naga all the way to S, but he got injured in his first S cup and was already very old so I retired him. I'm not sure what monster to try next, but I did unlock dragons with my worm so I might try that.

As a kid I didn't even realize that each monster has an inherent behavior stat, but now that I do, I feel like it's probably THE most important factor in a monster's success if you aren't doing vitamin trickery. Willful monsters that skip training to rest, fail training when they do participate, etc are basically time and money pits. A well-behaved monster can accomplish so much more.

>> No.8910749

How do you get monsters without CDs?

>> No.8912019

>>8910749
This. I want to give this game a try on duckstation but I ferl like I'll be missing out on a huge chunk of content; same thing with Vib-Ribbon.

>> No.8912139

>>8910749
Not OP, but they have a system in the re-release where you enter a music artist and a song title and it generates a monster based on that

>> No.8912207

>>8912139
That's no fun. I liked swapping CDs with friends back and seeing wtf we'd get.
>oh hey, I got some egyptian god looking jello monster thing from such-and-such CD
>"COOL! let me borrow that. my sister has the mariah carrey christmas CD that gets you a rabbit in a Santa hat. wanna borrow that one?"
>no. christmas rabbit sound dumb and gay
Good times. Good times.

>> No.8912395

>>8912207
OP here. I also really miss that experience. I remember borrowing my uncle's megadeth CD over and over because it had something good on it. My sister didn't really play, but she would always help me with the shrine.

Thst said, the rest of the game is so nostalgic that I'm still enjoying the hell out of it. I was so bad at it as a lad and I tried countless times with countless monsters, and wrecking most of the game as an adult with very little effort has been very satisfying.