[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 391 KB, 630x800, 1361602517817.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
889615 No.889615 [Reply] [Original]

Any advice on bartering down prices for old games?

>> No.889650

Good luck faggot

>> No.889663

Don't be annoying when bartering. Don't keep trying for lower prices or you'll just piss the person off.

>> No.889673

you make an offer that is just above being ridiculously low, and gauge from there reaction if they will consider a more "reasonable" offer. sometimes they will haggle, but that isn't really up to you. if they are sticking with a shit price, they don't care about you or your business and are simply waiting for someone who is stupid/rich to come in and buy it anyways.

>> No.889678
File: 95 KB, 300x337, Icantaffordthat.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>889650

>> No.889710

It's called haggling. Bartering implies that you're trading other goods.

>> No.889720

1. Don't be a pussy
2. Know your shit

>> No.889725

Have some balls. If they see you are intimidated in the slightest they already won.

>> No.889769

If they're overcharging just call them a gypsy jew faggot. And then buy it off ebay instead.

>> No.889784

I call it jewwing. If someone isn't willing to negotiate their prices, even for quantity then walk away. Especially for /vr/ items.

>> No.889791

Also try carrying different amounts of money in all four or your pockets. Like a ten in one, twenty, forty, and a hundred with more in your sock. Pull the whole wad out and be like "this is all I got" for whatever the appropriate offer to make on what you're selling. If they drive a hard bargain and you don't want to look like a manipulative ass say you'll go see if you can borrow some from a friend and rearrange your cash.

Always buy with cash too, obviously for this reason and many others.

>> No.889819

>>889710
You're trading money faggot

>> No.890384

>>889791
>try carrying different amounts of money in all four or your pockets.

Man, it's so simple, I can't believe I never thought of this.
The worst part is that I have had sellers do it to me because I legitimately only had X (like 25% below what they were selling for) and never realized it's an awesome trick.

>> No.891241

Haggling only works if you are buying loads of stuff and in a above average quantities.

Always walk into a situation with a few hundred bucks, 200 or 300 hundred is probably is lowest amount when it comes to vidya.

Then pick out perhaps five-ten games and say something like

>I came here for Title X but I saw you had Y, Z, Å, Ä and Ö also, which I loved as a kid. [Something made up about nostalgia for those game.]. If I get those games and say, I dunno, [insert whatever obscure and uninteresting titles they might have which bulk up your collection] do you think I might press down the price of X, Y and Z?

Haggling NEVER ever works if you are just getting one or two games. Then you just look like a cheap asshole trying to cut a deal entirely in your favor.

If its a serious store, i.e. the employees have no real autonomy over anything and cant just grant a deal like this on the floor, you should honestly just forget about it.

>> No.891324 [DELETED] 

>>891241
>200 or 300 is probably the lowest amount when it comes to vidya.
>pick out perhaps five-ten games

that's 20 to 60 dollars a game.

>> No.891330

>>891241
>200 or 300 is probably the lowest amount when it comes to vidya.
>pick out perhaps five-ten games

that's 20 to 60 dollars a game. haggling is about saving money.

>> No.891958

If they have something for a ridiculous price, make a ridiculous counter offer. The worse they could do is say no. It's not like you would have bought whatever at their price anyway. If all else fails, just walk away. They'll get the hint.

>> No.891971

>>889615
You don't. It's not going to work, and you're just going to seem like an asshole.

>> No.891985

>>889615
Figure out if the product you're looking to purchase was sold to the store or traded in for store credit.

If I purchased something, there's a certain profit margin I'm looking to get off of it and I'm really not willing to budge. But if someone traded it in I'm usually willing to haggle. And also keep in mind that any decent store will give you 25%-50% off whatever's on the label if you're paying cash or card, so you're already getting a decent deal to begin with if the store isn't run by taint lickers.

>> No.892040
File: 128 KB, 800x600, 1364890863085.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>889791
this. never go hunting for vidya in the wild without doing this.

>> No.892237
File: 51 KB, 417x393, TOE_PSX_NA.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Be polite. Don't ask them to knock it down by X amount, let them choose if they want to and how much. Also helps if you're the only person who's shown interest in what they're selling. I got a complete, nearly mint copy of Tales of Eternia last Christmas due to that. No one had shown any interest, and as it was Christmas season and I wasn't rude, the seller knocked $20 off his original price tag of $110 for it. And I must say I'm glad I bought it, game's very fun, combat's fluid, and is actually fairly challenging.

>> No.892242

if they want too much just walk away. I've got so many deals this way just because they know that they need to make a sale and nobody else is buyin shit at their prices.

>> No.892256

>>889663
> please dont fuck my asshole too hard shopkeep

no mercy if they dont want a fair price it isnt fucking worth it. You gotta be nice at first but if they dont want to budge what do you have to lose? all they have to lose is a sale...

>> No.892281
File: 288 KB, 292x256, hmm.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>889615
Don't be condescending but try to more knowledge than they hopefully do about what you're trying to buy.

If it's a SNES game or something that can have an internal battery. You ask if the battery still save. If it doesn't or he's unsure you can save a few bucks with a question like that. Especially since there's a legitimate chance the battery has leaked and could have fried the board.

Also ask if they've been tested. If they say they haven't been tested or "they work when I tested them X years ago" you can get some more $ off. Buying an untested game is always a buyers risk and let them know that you'd be more willing to take a risk on something like that at a lower price.

Also be friendly as fuck. You catch more honey with flies. Be their friend long enough to they don't think you're just trying to be a cheap wad and you can both come to a price you can both agree on.

Bundle games. If there's 4 games say at a flea market and the person is selling them for $5 a piece. Obviously buy the ones you like but ask if they would do 4 games for $15 or something like that. After you ask them some of the previous questions you might be able to get them down to $12 or $10. Small victories but you always get better prices when you buy in bundles.

Chances are they want to get rid of shit anyways and a couple bucks doesn't really make a difference to them because it's probably sat there for a while. Just don't be too annoying or condescending and sprinkle those condition questions in with conversation. Don't grill them or they could get offended your telling them they have junk and you're doing them a favor by taking it off their hands.

tl;dr Be friendly, be more knowledgeable, don't be a low-baller, don't be a dick.

That's basically it.

>> No.892940

>>892281
>You catch more honey with flies.

>> No.892943

be a dickhead if you have to. it lets the fuckers know you mean business and are not to be taken advantage of.

>> No.893228

>>892940
Its true. Leave some flies in a jar over night. The next morning the jar will be full of honey. Just pick the flies out after the float to the top.