[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 40 KB, 317x445, 51THQR27S9L._SY445_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8841606 No.8841606 [Reply] [Original]

It's really interesting to hear what others think about this game. I have a couple of questions for you guys regarding Mega Man X7. Is there a Mega Man platformer made by Capcom that you dislike more than X7? Is there anything that you actually enjoy about the game?

>> No.8841620

>>8841606
Mega Man X6

>> No.8841624

>>8841606
It's shit
I dislike X6 more
I enjoyed the music
https://youtu.be/6ipekx1Bojg

>> No.8841726

Tough to say.
I think I might dislike III for the GB (and probably I and II as well) more, since while they aren't 3D I remember them being having pretty jank physics in addition to some poor level design. But I haven't played them in years. X7 crippled the sales of X8 and thus contributed to the death of console Mega Man, so it definitely had the worst impact on the series.

>Is there anything that you actually enjoy about the game?
Sigma's voice acting.
Sigma's theme in his first phase.

>> No.8841740

>>8841606
The ps2 games are trash
I thought these would be an oasis for me, considering how this console is full of non games and movies

>> No.8841752

>>8841740
Dafuq, what movies? PS2 had an amazing library, you are thinking of PS3

>> No.8841762

>>8841752
>you are thinking of PS3
Wrong, the PS was the last good sony console

>> No.8841791

X5 was mediocre, after that they're all garbage

>> No.8841815

>>8841791
X8's awesome but a lot of people disregard it because of X5-X7. In reality it's as good as the first 4 games

>> No.8842018
File: 117 KB, 750x650, 38681.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8841606
The absolute worst mega man game ever made without a doubt. Even the annoyances of the others can be forgiven in the sense that they are still well made games. X7 is just awful. Clunky as fuck, looks like shit, and the fact that it sends you back to the title screen is fucking insane. The only redeeming quality is laughing at how bad it looks and the hilarious voice acting in general. I hate this game so much that I go out of my way not to own it; I've bought and sold it twice.

It's a shame too because X8 and Command Mission are fantastic but everyone shuns them because of this game. The series just abruptly stopping at that point has always left a nasty taste in my mouth. We've gotten multiple new games in the mainline series, I don't see why they don't try at least one more sequel and just release Legends 3 on the Switch or some shit already.

>> No.8842021

>>8841606
I dare someone fixing the mess by porting to GameCube and Xbox.

>> No.8842025

burn

>> No.8842169
File: 296 KB, 1021x627, mmx7_flame_hyenard.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8842025
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfTsvWTtoiQ

>> No.8842324

Hated MMX7, it's 100% trash.

I actually really liked X5,6 & 8. To hell with X7 though.

>> No.8842327

>>8842324
5 is okay, 8 is okay if you're being generous, 6 is shit but all are masterpiece compared to 7.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSm0KDTv5g4

>> No.8842341

>>8841740
>>8841762
Xbox has no games

>> No.8842351

>>8842021
>fixing the mess
The Legacy Collections cut down on load times, that's all that can really be said about that version
Also, I just remembered how baffling it is that the English version doubled all the enemies' health.

>> No.8842353
File: 249 KB, 888x710, latest[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This one stage makes ruins X8.

>> No.8842360

>>8842353
At least his stage theme is the excellent. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzuvvBUTOcQ

>> No.8842365

X7 is literally a broken game were inputs sometimes fails.

X8 is also a shit game, fuck those 3D levels and game design is beyond retarded and cheap, also a lot of shit was broken here too.

X6 is a retarded game with the nightmare system and design that makes collecting all souls/items annoying as fuck, but it still had the core figured, though really guys... go on options and play the game on XTREME, it literally has the fucking nightmare system ON ALL THE FUCKING TIMES, aside from the fact it also adds tons of enemies everywhere.

X5 is a mess of a game with confusing systems, do you want upgrades? Well, you can only get them if you defeat the bosses after a certain hours have passed (which means you either get few of them or you have to die a lot and change levels) and then you get the option to choose between two of them though the game doesn't even tell which option is which upgrade.

X2 is a better version of X1 but without some cool stuff like levels changing and bosses' weapons doing stuff to other bosses aside from weaknesses.

X3 kinda tried to push too much into a single game, also fuck the X Buster upgrade.

X4 only flaw is being too easy and maybe too short too.

>> No.8842368

>>8841606
Last year I played through 1-4 and then tried to do the next 4. 5-6 I actually really enjoyed.

I tried so hard to slog through 7 but it’s just such an absolute train wreck disaster. Sometimes I’m having fun, but most of the time I’m just swearing. I only beat one of the robot masters.

I do like the attempts at the 3D sections. I respect it them, but most of them are just awful. And no, there is no Mega Man game I dislike more than this one and I’ve played almost all of them.

And thus my Mega Man X streak is over. I haven’t played them since December and don’t even have the drive to skip 7 and play 8. 7 really was that bad, I don’t think I’ll ever get through it

>> No.8842371

I've beaten every Megaman X game so my ranking of the series is 1>4>3>2>5>8>6>=7

>> No.8842373

>>8842368

The worst part about 7 is that the bosses are such annoying bulletsponges.

>> No.8842414

>>8842351
Capcom think USA wanted hard difficulty.

>> No.8842728

Talking about retarded collections, are the newest ones worth anything or do they have issues? I'm not even going to talk about that shitty extra challenge mode they added.

>> No.8842802

>>8842728
If you have the collections that were released during gen 6, don't bother. All the legacy collections are is hd friendly games for kids who didn't already own them.

>> No.8842813

>>8841606
Assuming you aren't a shitposter, here we go.

First, let's start off by saying that X7 is a horrible game, mainly because its engine is fucking terrible, but also a bunch of other things about the gameplay, UI, and character writing are bad. Secondly, some of the things I mention will be why it's better than other games, even if they aren't good in an of themselves.

With that out of the way:
>Interesting hints at world building. The idea of non-hunter mercenaries that are both killing bad guys AND technically Mavericks on paper is a nice introduction, and far better thought out than X4's Repliforce. Also nice that it isn't a big apocalyptic event, it ends up just being a gang fight, which is a nice departure from X5/X6 (mostly X5) endlessly ramping up the stakes.
>On that note: Turning away from Zero wank. X5 detoured the story of the X series so hard that Sigma ceased to be a character. From X1-4 he has always been seeking power for himself under the banner of liberating reploids, and/or taking revenge against X/Zero. Suddenly he's endlessly sucking off Zero/Wily's cock, and then he effortlessly nearly destroys the world. X7 brings us back to Zero just being a mysterious skilled mentor, rather than the be-all and end-all of technology. Before you say it, Axl wank nowhere near as bad Zero wank. Axl was a unique asset that Red and Sigma both wanted. Zero was the holy grail of technology. We can now go back to The Adventures of The Maverick Hunters instead of Apocapyse 3: The End of Earth.
>On that note: Axl is surprisingly decently written. He is no scrappy. He leaves Red of his own volition, is enthusiastic but obeys orders, and understands that he's a junior, inexperienced hunter.

>> No.8842817

>>8842813
>Interesting stages: X7 actually has a diverse set of stages that mix up different kinds of 2D and 3D gameplay. Yes, the engine is so terrible it becomes impossible to enjoy. But if you pretended they were in a better engine, you can see that they were trying many different ideas that, importantly, largely still involved core platforming. An easy contrast is X8, whose engine is terrible but has so many gimmick stages that stop you from properly playing the game, and retreated back into 2D rather than trying anything interesting.
>More on X5/X6: Fixing the armor system. X1-4 always had a very consistently progression for X: he gets stronger over the course of the game as he gets more armor. Finding armor and unlocking new abilities is, IMO, the defining feature of X. X5/X6 locked armors behind full sets which means you're not getting any armor until at least halfway through the stages, and practically locks that second set behind the first (yes there are non-obvious ways around this, but you know what I mean). X7 brought back the simple idea of upgrade capsules, and X8 finally expanded it in to multiple armors the *right* way.
>More on X5/X6: Fixing the parts system. The less said about X5's part system the better, let's leave it at "complete trash". X6's was an improvement in that they were just discoverable parts (with reploids), but you were largely still blindly stumbling across them. X7 has a very straightforward, very easy leveling-style "parts" system, which lets the player choose how to strengthen their character. (The fact that it's also locked behind reploids is horrible, but the system itself is good.) You the see X8 expand on this into a shop (which also has issues).

>> No.8842824

>>8842813
>>8842817
>X feels powerful. Yes, locking X away is dumb and stupid, and he joins late so he's behind on parts, but he feels and plays like a powerful Maverick Hunter, and once he gets his upgrades he is even better. He does good damage, and good defense, and it feels good when you finally get him.
>Evolving Zero: X5/6's Zero abilities are essentially re-shuffling of X4 abilities, and they'd done nothing with him since. X7 actually leans into Zero being a melee character and gives him different weapons with different properties, as well as new abilities like counters.

X7 is a bad game that's full of horrible flaws, but it addressed a lot of the issues t

>> No.8842827

Is X8 good?, I just want to go right and jump platforms like it should be

>> No.8842837

>>8842827

It's decent, but I hate the shop and the excessive grinding for items.

>> No.8842856

I will never forget TRIANGLE
I actually really likes X6 but I never was the kind of person who tried to get all the collectibles. I beat all of them except 4 or 5 don't remember which now but I just didn't like it.

>> No.8842871

>>8842837
You need the items?

>> No.8842874
File: 78 KB, 549x426, 1597980103169.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8841606
>Is there a Mega Man platformer made by Capcom that you dislike more than X7?
Tough sell, but probably not. I haven't played X6, so I'd personally say X7's a little more bearable than X5 and X6 because of the 3D sections, but that's NOT saying much.

Yeah, the terrible Eng dub.

>> No.8842880

>>8841815
Half of it is on MAYBE on par with the first four, but the other half it felt like the devs were smoking retard crack

>> No.8842884

>>8842728
They got rid of the load times for all the games, so that's something.

Zero/ZX is the best of the bunch since it's natively ported and thus doesn't have any of the issues that come with emulation. With the SNES X games they apparently have input lag, with the Z/ZX stuff there's none.

>>8842827
I'd say it's good when it does the traditional X gameplay, but a big point of contention for fans is that it has too many "gimmick" stages that ditch the go-right gameplay you're here for. Two out of the 8 Maverick stages are Ride Chaser levels and another one's largely a vertical auto-scroller level which does have platform jumping, but still isn't what you really want.

>> No.8842885

>>8842884
>Two out of the 8 Maverick stages are Ride Chaser
Like battletoads?

>> No.8843117

>>8842353
It's merciful in that it's quick if you know what you're doing, but yeah holy shit is it bad.

>> No.8843143

This game had a lot of cool ideas.
https://youtu.be/lQC5jhNMa6Q
I like it more than X4 honestly.

>> No.8843920

>>8843143
Lot potential idea goes unused....

>> No.8844775

>>8842353
Any chance improve?

>> No.8844782

It really blows my mind they were this far into designing 3D games and everything about X7 felt like a massive regression.

>> No.8844850

>>8844782
I honestly can't wrap my head around the fact that of all the gen 6 games, a mainline fucking numbered Mega Man game is one of the worst. Mega Man had been Capcom's mascot for like a decade by the time X7 came out, wasn't he supposed to get only top notch games? I understand that X5 and X6 are also not that great but X7 is on a whole new level

>> No.8844930

>>8842885
They're a bit more like shmups where you're just gonna be spamming the blaster the whole time, but there's some obstacles to avoid in both of them. Gigabolt's stage is a real pain because you're on a time limit and you have to stay right on his ass, grabbing boost items to keep up with him as you fire at him until he's downed and the boss fight can start.

>> No.8845014

>>8844782
The series was still getting top notch games at the time. Battle Network had more or less taken over as the most popular series by the time X7 released, not to mention the competition from the Zero series though it was dev'd by the ex-Capcom staffed Inti Creates.

>> No.8845070

>>8845014
>top notch games at the time. Battle Network
I don't mean to shit on BN but this made me laugh out loud

>> No.8845145

>>8841606
People who say x6 is as shit as or evem close to 7 are retards.
X6 lacks polish for sure but has a solid loop. I genuinely enjoy it. I perceive it being close to x5 shortcomings.
X4 is spectacularly overrated and not even close to the top. Xs gameplay is mediocre.
I think anyone can agree though. X7 is bar none, THE worst though. They failed on every element

>> No.8845538

>>8845070
Battle Network was already up to 3 by the time X7 released in Japan, in addition to having a running anime.
So, yeah.

>> No.8846310
File: 14 KB, 219x216, the graying at the sides is a visual metaphor for aging.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8844782
I'm an outlier who will say that it is probably the worst Mega Man game ever made in terms of the standards of quality, but at the same time I will say that it is VERY far from being the worst game ever made.

In terms of Mega Man, it ticks all of the boxes that it needs to for an X series game. It isn't failing on that front. I think the deep problem with X7, however, is that it only ticks the boxes in a way that the additions and what changes are made feel more like concessions. It is as if the core fundamentals of the X series were considered something sacred, rather than something that could be better adapted.
- The lock-on exists because it is difficult to read where shots will land in a 3D space with how the levels are presented to you.
- X is locked off from play at the start because otherwise there would be no reason to play as Axl due to his new gameplay formula being exceptionally weak.
- Zero is slow in his attacks and behaves differently from his previous iteration because it is otherwise hard to understand where his attacks are capable of landing.
- The game has a team mechanic because the challenges are poorly balanced for casual runs as a single character.
- X's armor parts cannot be acquired as Zero or Axl due to the potential of the player unlocking X and immediately having access to his armor, which would potentially negate the purpose of the parts system.

It is a game that needed a bit of reworking to be better than just painfully average. Sure. But I don't think reworking it into a better game shouldn't require that it clone other games' formulas. Nothing is really gained if Zero is changed to use Devil May Cry gameplay mechanics and the camera is forced behind the character in 3D segments like in Mega Man Legends.
Also, J's Reviews is full of shit, copying Ratchet & Clank would just make X7 a lazy ripoff.

>> No.8846353

>>8846310
>copying Ratchet & Clank would just make X7 a lazy ripoff
I mean, it'd still be a better game.
What boggles the mind is that they didn't just learn from Megaman Legends and add more freeform movement like target lock-on and being able to change direction while dashing. Megaman could've easily been moved into a third person shooter formula yet X7 fucked it all up.

>> No.8846448

>>8841606
I never got why when Mega Man X came to PS2, they didn't just make a third person shooter/platformer ala Ratchet And Clank or hell, even Mega Man Legends.

>> No.8846457
File: 106 KB, 512x448, 1588976575097.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8846353
>Megaman Legends and add more freeform movement like target lock-on and being able to change direction while dashing.
That would've amplified the problems with the game's combat.
You can already make quick work of the game's enemies with the lock-on system as it is, the only challenge is facing the target and maybe occasionally shifting it.
Giving the player the ability to always face their lock-on target and move relative to them I think would just create more problems for the game's combat.
X7's boss fights would be a total joke if you had the ability to strafe while always facing a target.

As for the dashing...
Are you talking like a turning-mid dash or just sharply and instantly changing direction in the middle of one?
If it's the latter then that's dumb, you can't even do that in the 2D games.

>> No.8846737

>>8841606
>a Mega Man platformer made by Capcom that you dislike more than X7?
Yeah the wily wars
I like the low poly look of it the cutscenes and the music

>> No.8846751

>>8841624
based boss banger

>> No.8846762

I like X7, 100% it a couple times, but I like every megaman game.

>> No.8846765

>>8846353
>Megaman could've easily been moved into a third person shooter formula
why would anyone want that though

>> No.8846893

>>8841606
It's bad but I somehow can't hate it

>> No.8846943

>>8846310
>J's Reviews is full of shit,
J's Reviews is pretty spot on most of the time, I was surprised to see an eceleb shitting on ZX Advent because everyone thinks it's a good game while in my opinion it is to Zero what X6 is to X. Inti are amazing but even they fuck up sometimes

>> No.8847643

>>8846457
>You can already make quick work of the game's enemies with the lock-on system as it is, the only challenge is facing the target and maybe occasionally shifting it.
You can make bosses a lot more aggressive in 3D if you have the freedom to keep locked on to them. Characters always move fast as fuck in any MMX game as well as side-media. Hell, it works for Armored Core and Zone of Enders, all it needs is a platforming element.
>Are you talking like a turning-mid dash or just sharply and instantly changing direction in the middle of one?
Stopping the dash by letting go of the button, then pressing dash again in a new direction, like in the 2D games.
>>8846765
Because the genre was okay before the Uncharted era started.

>> No.8847998

>>8847643
>Hell, it works for Armored Core and Zone of Enders, all it needs is a platforming element.
Having experience with the former and looking at the latter, what you basically want is for boss fights to be Gundam Vs. gameplay.

Again, this would create a soulless clone. The X series requiring a consistent gameplay presentation would mean that all of the game handles this hypothetical way.
>Stopping the dash by letting go of the button, then pressing dash again in a new direction, like in the 2D games.
Have you ever noticed that it works that way in X7, too? Granted, only if you use the D-Pad to move and not the left analog.

>> No.8848003

>>8846943
that zoomer faggot prefers 6 to 5, kys.

>> No.8848063
File: 448 KB, 548x340, 1636802363328.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Remember what they took from you.

>> No.8848095

>>8841606
its fine

>> No.8848108

Anyone else has problem with the fmv of this game witg OPL?
I use SMB and thr OP and other videos of the game lag or the audio is fucked

>> No.8848124

>>8848108
I played it on PCSX2 and had a problem when an entire audio track speeds up 1000x and finishes in like 3 seconds and then a cutscene has no sound at all

>> No.8848146

>>8846457
The dashing could work like Dissidia 012's Omni-dash where you can dash in any direction, holding down the button to extend the range.

>> No.8848221

>>8848124
I think all games that have anime fmv have this problem
Namco vs Capcom audio for the OP skips

>> No.8848263
File: 313 KB, 642x548, Untitled.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>PEWPEWPEWPEWPEW
>HEH
>HA
>PEWPEPWPEPWPEW
>HUH?!
>PEWPEPWEWPEW
>SWOOSH
>HUH?!
>HEP
>[Loud as fuck jet engine noises]

>> No.8848627

>>8848003
Just watched his new X7 review. His voice is hilarious and adds a comical feel to this video which fits the mood pretty perfectly. X7 truly is one of the worst games of all time. It's not even a meme, it really is that bad

>> No.8848638

>>8848003
And he's 100% right in that.

>> No.8848640

>>8847998
>this would create a soulless clone
When putting a 2D series into 3D the formula will have to change, or else you get the X7 that we got in the end.

>> No.8848647

>>8848638
the shit I took today is better than x6.

>> No.8848690

>>8848647
X5 has the same flaws as X6, if not worse.

>> No.8848861
File: 172 KB, 363x400, 86-32-73-2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8848640
Obviously. It's one of the reasons why X7 is so bad, it plays it safe and concedes defeat on every change it has to made to be in 3D.
However, it shouldn't be necessary to throw out the entire formula to make X7 good.

All of the ideas that have been suggested do just that. 'Just copy some other game and do nothing else because other game is better.'

>> No.8848876

>>8848861
Man I would've been fine with a 3D X game that at least does what worked before, even if it copies something else, and build up its own identity with a sequel or whatever. DMC/RE4 clones still work to this day, better that than go down in history as having a game so bad that even people who don't know anything about megaman joke about. It's all about having a clean track record. All about being average than being hilariously bad.

>> No.8849071

>>8848876
What are you even saying there? That because X7 exists and is bad, Mega Man can never have another full 3D game again?

>> No.8849090

>>8849071
I'm saying because X7 came out the way it did and is bad, Capcom hasn't wanted a new installment since the damage control mainline game (X8) in 2004 (18 years ago).

>> No.8849131

>>8849090
What does that have to do with my position of tweaking X7 to be better?

>> No.8849183

>>8849131
I'm addressing the point that X7 would still be a better game if it was made in the same vein as 3D platformers that worked, as well as its own history with MML1 & 2.
This "but it'd be just a copy" bullshit does not matter. A bad game is forever.

>> No.8849203
File: 91 KB, 213x204, 1608187294866.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8849183
So you're saying nothing.

Also, you do know that MML1 & 2 were adventure games first, action second, right?

>> No.8849280

>>8849203
You're the one talking about a separate point no one else is discussing, which frankly I don't care about. Just telling you it would've been a better game if it copied something that worked at the time.
MML's genre is also irrelevant, as I'm addressing the way the megaman formula was translated into 3D with those games. Stop avatarfagging and pay attention to what is being discussed next time, if you have the neurons for it.

>> No.8849732

>>8849280
I'm not talking about MML's genre, I'm talking about the actual game design of MML, moron. It is an adventure game first! Overworld! Towns! RPG systems! NPCs to talk to! Shops to interact with! It does not throw you to a stage select screen after an intro stage and a couple of story scenes! It is so tied in with it's setting that it would NOT make for a good starting point for a MMX game. At best, you could get something akin to the difference between King's Field and Armored Core in that the games run at roughly the same frame rate and maybe share artists, and that is it.

Otherwise, you're just arguing 'other games did it better' and this is something that is already fucking understood by more than half the thread. You want to talk neurons, check yours and try following the discussion.

>> No.8850162

>>8849183
>3D platformers that worked
The thing is that MMX is as much of a run and gun series as it is a platformer

>> No.8851070

>>8841606
Yeah, I find X6 way worse, also would rather replay X7 over MM9, Z2, or Z3. Its slow but it doesn't frustrate me nearly as much.
Also going for 100% completion in X7 for the legacy collection achievements was surprisingly fun.

>> No.8851080

>>8841606
How can anyone make a bad Mega Man game? There is so much underexploited lore. Inafune must have gotten in way over his head at some point.

>> No.8851084

>>8851070
Actually now that I think about it, I'd also say that the entire GB series I-V are worse than X7, I tortured myself with those games because I ran out of Megaman to play, and the jump physics consistently made all five of them awful.

>> No.8851095

>>8851084
> I tortured myself with those games because I ran out of Megaman to play
This is me right now. I beat 1-11+MM&B, X1-X8, MML1,2, Tron Bonne, Zero 1-4, ZX, ZXA. So basically the next logical step is I-V and Xtreme 1 and 2

>> No.8851109

>>8851095
Xtreme 1 isn't too bad, but Xtreme 2 feels like it has some of the people who did X6's stage design working on it.

>> No.8851279

>>8846310
>Nothing is really gained if Zero is changed to use Devil May Cry gameplay mechanics and the camera is forced behind the character in 3D segments like in Mega Man Legends.
>Also, J's Reviews is full of shit, copying Ratchet & Clank would just make X7 a lazy ripoff.
Your comments itt have been very interesting, but I'll disagree with the above. I would have much rathered that 3D Mega Man adopted mechanics that worked, with Mega Man-like physics to keep it congruent as a series entry. That is what 2D Mega Man did, after all. Frankly, I think they only reason they DIDN'T do that is because Capcom has been treating Mega Man almost like shovelware since X5 (and ultimately, because of MML2's financial failure).

>> No.8851290

>>8851084
>>8851095
>the entire GB series I-V are worse than X7
That is bullshit. MMI is not good, but MMII-V get better with each entry.

>> No.8851432

>>8851290
None of them are good and the improvements are extremely minor. I couldn't even be bothered to finish V, dropped it after a couple bosses because for the "best" of the games, it was still total dogshit. The biggest issue is the fact that you're fighting with aerial ice physics all the time, usually in Megaman you can do micro adjustments and stuff midair just fine, but in the GB games a little tap in one direction midair sends you fucking flying.