[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 373 KB, 1000x1000, its alright.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8832307 No.8832307 [Reply] [Original]

This game was so weird. They could have made a bigger and better version of Yoshi's Island. Instead they went for some weird collectathon with an obtuse level choice.

I mean, yeah, there's the melon run, exploring levels fully, but it just seems like a more linear level design wouldn't have went amiss.

>> No.8832321

>>8832307
First game I remember being let down by it when it came out. Yoshi's Island was my favorite game and I was so stoked for a bigger and better sequel, but got this instead. Yoshi's Story felt like it was going to put me to sleep with how dull it was.

>> No.8832378

I see Yoshi's Story as emblematic of how weak Nintendo could be during this era. You've got a company like Rare that has like 30+ employees making tons of good 3D IPs on the N64, and then you've got Nintendo with hundreds and hundreds of employees and billions in assets and this 2D shovelware is a thing they produced, instead of something way better. Yeah okay. And yes, this game was made in-house at Nintendo with Tezuka, not just something they sourced to somewhere else.

>> No.8832392

>>8832378
I like it

>> No.8832443

>>8832307
i liked it at launch
even my close family didn't though

>> No.8832559

>>8832378
Yoshi's Story is an impressive game and is definitely not shovelware.
The controls are super precise (with like a dozen of different speeds Yoshi can walk/run), they're swift and fast (once Yoshi is at full speed his sprinting can be hectic, but his jumps are still super responsive and maneuverable), technically, the gameplay is above average for any 2D platformer standard.
The graphics are some of the best usage of pre-rendered graphics in the way it does different textures (cardboard, rubber, cloth, etc), and all the sprites are full of animation, at 60fps.
The problem is the level design and how it's either a shot 6-level romp, or going for hi-scores which means that the game becomes super hard in what it demands you to do (and the skill ceiling is practically endless due to all the crazy shit you can do combo-ing enemies). There's no in between and I agree that in the end, it's not as good as Yoshi's Island, not even close. But it IS still a pretty cool game and I'm 100% sure that if it wasn't a Yoshi game and instead was some random different dinosaur and the game was published by Atlus or Hudson, it'd be regarded as a "hidden gem" nowadays.
By the way, Yoshi's Story is beloved in Japan.

>> No.8832560

>>8832307>>8832378>>8832559
Nintendo cope the thread. And rare never made a good game on n64 when compared to their nes and snes games.

>> No.8832572

>>8832560
>muh anti-nintendo mindset
I was always an idort, not my problem that you have a binary brain filled with console wars that never mattered.
I'm not saying Story is a masterpiece, just it's not shovelware and yes as I said if it wasn't a Nintendo game and instead was a Saturn, PS1 or PC game published by whatever publisher you might like, you would consider it at the very least an interesting 2D platformer on the 5th gen, which weren't very common. But since it's Nintendo you will go around 4chan posting "nintendo cope" as if that validates any opinion you might have. Sad!

>> No.8832583

>>8832559
The level design is the game's downfall. Not that the level design is terrible, but they've should've upped the difficulty a bit, had you beat all levels in a world to go to the next world, and added a few more levels. The game would've been another classic.
Instead Nintendo dumbed the game down for some mysterious gaming demographic of 4 year olds that Miyamoto think exists but doesn't that Miyamoto is sure wants to play Yoshi and Paper Mario games.

>> No.8832587

>>8832572
I bought Mischief makers on launch. It's the only decent 2d platformer on the system. If yoshis story was on Saturn I would also call it shit the same way I call chaotix and Nights shit.

>> No.8832601

>>8832307
I always heard the Yoshi singing as 'THE ASSHOLE THE ASSHOLE THE ASSHOLE'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaSg-4nZTbk

That's as much I recall from an otherwise mediocre game that had potential.

>> No.8832610

>>8832601
The version of the ending theme in Brawl is based as fuck. IIRC it was arranged by the guy who did the OSTs for God Hand and No More Heroes.

>> No.8832706

>>8832560
yawn

>> No.8833273

>>8832560
>Off shoot non-mainline franchise sells 3 million copies in the 90's
>muh cope

wat? This game made nintendo tens of millions of buckerinos in profit. Which is why cute yoshi adventure has continued to this day.

>> No.8833284
File: 864 KB, 640x512, 222314-yoshi-s-story-nintendo-64-screenshot-blastin-some-bubbles.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

And it kickstarted the lame wool style.

>> No.8833767

>>8833284
What other games use this style? I can only think of Little Big Planet and Kirby's Epic Yarn, apart from the other Yoshi games.
>lame
I dunno, it might be way too cute for us westerners, but I can't deny it looks neat.

>> No.8833825

>>8832307
The music and aesthetics in some levels really creeped me out as a kid.

>> No.8833829

>>8832307
>Instead they went for some weird
nintendo in a sentence
i'm still waiting for a proper wario game instead of some bullshit game with shittty controls

>> No.8833881

>nintendo plays it too safe, always do the same games
>nintendo is too weird, always try new things instead of sticking to formulas
duality of man

>> No.8833892

I remember feeling ripped off when I got this game as a kid after having owned and played the SNES game.

>> No.8833936

>>8833284
Its a logical expansion of the YI crayon look into general arts & crafts. Paper Mario & Kirby's Epic Yarn are encroaching on specific aspects now, but just as well since they gave the concepts due fleshing out.

>> No.8834118
File: 83 KB, 874x670, yoshi says whats up.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8832559
>>8832583
That's it. Everything about the game has this great, potential design to be the next great sequel to Yoshi's Island because they nailed everything but the levels. A perfectly unified atmosphere for sound, graphics, aesthetic, Yoshi's voice, like they really nailed it.

>>8833881
Nintendo is usually pretty excellent at both of those things for a lot of its main titles. But here, it's like they took a half measure with a unique progression when the more linear Island's method was just fine, and would have allowed them to fine tune the level design, too.

Why is it so huge in Japan? It certainly explains why it still comes up in media. On the Switch, in the latest Wario Ware...

>> No.8834128

>>8833881
The super majority of people just don't care to do a melon run. That is busy work if you have nothing else to play but Yoshi's Story. Everyone else will just nab the fruits as they see them, and if they will replay the game it is for the sake of seeing the alternate levels in each world. While it isn't a bad game, I can't recommend it to anyone.

>> No.8834132

>>8832307

i remember buying it then i beat it in like a day and was pissed

>> No.8834134

>>8832601
>THE ASSHOOOOLE THE ASSHOOOLE

Thank you anon I genuinely lol'd. I can't stop smiling at this.

>> No.8834138

>>8832307
Like all N64 games, it looks, sounds, and plays worse than its SNES predecessor.

>> No.8834283

>>8834132
Same

>> No.8834373

>>8833936
I very much prefer the crayon, paper-mâché and even the toy model look over that.

>> No.8834378

>>8834128
Yeah, this.

Even when it was my jam and I played it for a while to complete it, the Melon Run was too fiddly, obscure and frankly boring to seriously attempt for every single level. Especially when it involves some easily fuck-upable bullshit. You have to explore every nook and cranny for a lot of Melons and then some are missable until you restart the game.

It's actually kind of a shame, because there's a lot of amazing level design a lot of people didn't even see because they never get to the end of a level or see all of it, and that's why a level finishing upon satisfactory fruit gluttony was a terrible mechanic.

>> No.8835016

>>8834118
>Why is it so huge in Japan?
Probably one of the main reasons is that Japan never seemed to hate 2D, or weren't as passionate about "3D is the future, 2D sucks now" as it was the sentiment in the west in the late 90s.
That, and also Japan doesn't hate cuteness.
Level design/game structure aside, one of the big main reasons people hated Story is because it's way too cute. Island had this cute "rugrats" feel but was not as cute as Story, what with Yoshi's voices and all.
I'll say though, for such a "cute" game, Story has some pretty classic Super Mario stuff like the lava pits, dark castles and enemies made of bones. Not exactly horrorific or anything but not exactly Teletubbies-tier either.

>> No.8835149

>>8833273>>8832706
>Nintendo make kiddy shit and its profitable
>therefore it's a great game!

>> No.8835154

>>8834138

This is how I feel about the Gamecube compared to the N64

Also, Starfox 64 is the exception to your rule

>> No.8835527

Yoshi's Island should have been a one hit wonder as the prequel and sendoff to 2D mario.

>> No.8835557

>>8834138
Funny you could almost say the exact same for snes games being a let down from nes.

>> No.8836714
File: 80 KB, 220x440, 1648816003160.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I remember downloading this ROM with my terrible free internet, took hours of waiting, but I liked it. Also only worked the second time, the first time I lost connection after about an hour or so so I had to try again. Never had this game for my real N64 or rented it. At least it was not a PSX ISO, those used to be divided in many, many parts and you had to download all before you could play. I remember downloading Driver in 20 parts then it was some meme format like ECM that you had to un-ECM to play on emulators.
Thanks for coming to my ancient emulation history rant.