[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 120 KB, 598x374, thisiscool01.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8776346 No.8776346 [Reply] [Original]

its time for a saturn thread.
any updates on hellslave btw?
https://youtu.be/LFGreaO8atI

>> No.8776736

Satiator’s Rings Menu got an update at some point that adds per game saves. It backs up your current sram to a folder on the SD per game (once you do it once) and loads whatever folder matches the game ID of the game you just loaded. It’s an awesome feature.

>> No.8776765

>>8776736
nice

>> No.8776915

>>8776736
Mode can do this, and I'm pretty sure Fenrir can too.

Kinda thinking about doing an FRAM mod though.

>> No.8777583

OpenLara is getting ported to Saturn, which means it should finally get a TR2 port soon. Could port the other sequels too. There's also another effort outside of XL2 to recreate Sonic Xtreme. The homebrew and patch scenes are still alive and well, and the ODEs are abundant. All hail lord Segata.

>> No.8777595
File: 201 KB, 320x240, catype.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8776346
i want the satiator but the battery coin holder on my motherboard is knocked-loose

is there a non-retarded solution or should i just stick with my burned cdrs?

>> No.8777598

>>8777595
Fenrir is cheaper and doesn't require any super difficult steps to install. Worth looking into if you're willing to not have the CD drive. I love my Satiator though.

>> No.8777705

>>8777598
There are mods being worked on to allow Fenrir to exist along side the CD Drive.

>> No.8777710

Satiator and Fenrir stinks

>> No.8777713

>>8777710
MODE is worse and made by an even shittier company.

>> No.8777725

>>8777713
Other than being more expensive how is it worse for Saturn?

>> No.8777770

>>8777725
TerraOnion being the incompetent company they are cut a shit ton of corners in making the thing. It was really made for Dreamcast and then they hacked on Saturn and a PS1 support as an afterthought. Some but not all issues include:

- When using fast boot it doesn't clean up after itself in RAM and VRAM, leaving garbage behind form it's menu. Games expecting clean RAM and VRAM end up having issues with this. So far their solution has been to put game specific patches instead of just cleaning up after themselves in RAM.
- Instead of implementing the Security Ring check the way every Mod Chip has done it since the 90s, they decided to do a very lazy implementation of just treating any read beyond 650MBs as the Security Ring because they misread an old poorly translated document from Sega. As a result any game that goes beyond 650MBs crashes.
- The menu is painfully slow because they used way too high of quality images for the box art. So it's constantly having to load new textures into VRAM which takes time and is very slow.
- They just claimed 100% compatibility but never actually verified it. So various games and patches are starting to have trouble on it because of other cut corners and issues. Instead of addressing it and fixing it, they're blaming patch devs even though the patches work 100% fine on a CD-R.
- While the Dreamcast has the interfaces and power to handle a HDD/SSD, the Saturn and PS1 do not. So a lot of additional logic needs to be put on the MODE increasing it's price. Even worse, the PSUs in the Saturn and PS1 were never intended to power something like a HDD/SSD, so there's no telling what damage that could be doing over time.
- The whole gimmick of it being compatible multiple systems is pointless because no one is going to be taking their systems apart to hotswap it. So making 3 ODEs better suited for each system would be better.

Then on top of it there's the whole issue of TerraOnion themselves.