[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 189 KB, 640x480, Context_Zone[1].png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8767509 No.8767509[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

So I was on the TvTropes page for "Seinfeld is Unfunny" and came across this blurb:
>Conker's Bad Fur Day has fallen victim to this, but not in the way you might think it has. Rather, it was among the first video games to use context-sensitive gameplay, meaning that you were given unique abilities based on the situation at hand. How? By stepping on a Context Sensitivity Pad, where you were granted otherwise impossible abilities until stepping off. Compared to the context-sensitive gameplay of later games like God of War, Conker's seems very clumsy and limited. On the other hand, the game's liberal use of Vulgar Humor is still pretty unique, and probably the only reason one would be likely to choose it over a platformer like Ratchet & Clank or Super Mario Galaxy.
Does that seem right? I was under the impression Conker was spoofing context sensitive actions but calling it out so literally in the context of the game world as a joke, as in, its been done before so many times in previous games lets just call it what it is.

>> No.8767515

Your first mistake was giving TvTropes traffic.

>> No.8767517

Seriously OP why are you reading TVTropes

>> No.8767518

>actually going to tvtropes

>> No.8767520

it's okay op i used to go to tvtropes too
but now i don't because i realize it was lame
and still is lame

>> No.8767534

>>8767509
It was a spoof/homage to old cartoons. TVtropes is full of retards. Having a seinfeld is unfunny page is just further proof of that.

>> No.8767536

TVtropes used to be worth reading back when they still had the Troper Tales section
It was always shit for actual informative content

>> No.8767548

>>8767536
It's good for finding examples of things in games at least. Like if I want a list of examples where you fight two bosses at once
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DualBoss

>> No.8767570

Except you also have people which are like youtubers, who think their opinions are fact and everybody should listen to it. It is clearly the case of this writer here, I mean why even mention something like "this platformer is shit btw, this and that other platformer are much better" when it has absolutely no baring whatsoever on the question at hand.

Never forget that wikias are written by people like you and I. In this case it just means nobody took the time to write this guy off. And yes, he missed the point, it is a parody. A N64 game being "the first" of a "trope" is unlikely.

>> No.8767662
File: 489 KB, 1254x946, 3A0422A1-EC32-499C-B281-8A280CCDBFD2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8767509
Tvtropes is written by morbidly obese gigasois with god complexes and transsexuals who think new Star Trek is good.
Conker’s gameplay is why you should choose it over Ratchet and Clank or U R MR GAY. Conker has more variety done better than the both of them. It’s humor is just the cherry on top that puts it over the edge into legendary territory. The fact this tvtropes editor is blinded by the paint job so much he thinks the engine is a gimmick means he has an extremely poor understanding of this entertainment artform.
It’s worth noting that Conker did RE4 shooting combat 4 years before RE4. Literally the foundation of RE4 is just a single chapter of Conker. That’s pretty amazing for a game these faggots can only see as “vulgar humor platformer inferior to MAYRIO GALAXY!”.
The context sensitive actions are extremely meta (allah forgive me for uttering that word). It calls out the absurdity of all video games, fiction, itself, player expectations and manages to be a clever mechanic all in one. They could have just put toilet paper rolls on the map for Conker to pick up, but instead they did this.
There still hasn’t been a video game that does “meta” as deftly and tastefully as Conker.
When you die you meet the Grim Reaper who literally tells you that you need to collect lives in the form of tails and how stupid it is, and how stupid Conker thinks it is.
There are parodies of The Matrix in Conker, which clearly inspired it in other ways.
The context sensitive buttons and other themes are the video game equivalent to something like Duck Amuck.

>> No.8767670
File: 59 KB, 740x415, images (85).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8767509
>tvtropes

>> No.8767674

>>8767509
>TvTropes

>> No.8767691

>>8767670
That's a fake screenshot. That's not real

>> No.8767704

Trannytropes moar like it

>> No.8767705

Yes it is correct, even if it is from TVTropes.
Conker has zero gameplay as a platformer.

>> No.8767743

>>8767662
>There still hasn’t been a video game that does “meta” as deftly and tastefully as Conker.
What other attempts have there even been?
Only other "funny" meta video game about video games I can think of is Matt Hazard and it sucks.

>> No.8767745

>>8767534
>Having a seinfeld is unfunny page is just further proof of that.
It's true trope though. Seinfeld was really revolutionary at the time it came out, and now is pretty boring to watch.

>> No.8767752
File: 75 KB, 1491x1242, ctfrtbv96u6z.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

TVTtropes is a website for autists to blog dumb shit. You might as well quote posts on any site/social media with a comment section, it's the same thing.

Nightmare fuel: The Nostalgia Critic and Peter Griffin bled on me in Mario Artist

>> No.8767773

>>8767662
>It’s worth noting that Conker did RE4 shooting combat 4 years before RE4. Literally the foundation of RE4 is just a single chapter of Conker.
Rare used to be great at innovating. Have you ever played the N64 game Jet Force Gemini? It's like a real third person shooter, years before anyone else started making them that way.