[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 288 KB, 292x256, hmm.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
875658 No.875658 [Reply] [Original]

>tfw everytime you go game hunting you get something good.
>tfw you get a bunch of rare games for dirt cheap
>tfw 75% of your collection was got from flea markets and yard sales for pennies on the dollar

>mfw I live in golden land of retro games

How are your areas /vr/? Desert or Oasis?

>> No.875664

Oasis. Emulate.
Also lots of flea markets and used stores. So oasis even if you want to pay.

>> No.875692

Steam is selling all old dreamcast Sonic the hedgehogs for under $5. I don't know how retro you had in mind.

>> No.875691

>>875664
emulation don't mean shit when it comes to collecting.

Do you even collect, bruh?

>> No.875702

>>875692
^omit this comment if you are collecting

>> No.875701

>>875658
the driest of dry deserts OP
the only games I've ever managed to find were Warcraft 2, math blaster and some fighting game for DOS where you play as dinosaurs or something

I mainly order everything over the net these days.

>> No.875710

>>875701
>Math Blaster

Fuck yea.

>> No.875716

>>875658
May ask where you live OP?

>> No.875721

>>875716
>mfw I live in golden land of retro games

Also the south

>> No.875748

>>875716
>>875716
My last haul was

NES -6 controllers 2 zappers
Game Genie
System Cleaner

Megaman 1-6
Adventure Island 1-3
TMNT 1-3
Motor City Patrol
Kid Icarus
Zelda II
SMB 1-3
Rampage
Battletoads
Rescue Rangers
4-5 other decent games

Grand total : $70

Also got Mega Man X2 for $4 along with TMNT IV, Yoshi's Island, Captain Commando, Super Metroid all for around that same $3-5 price.

>> No.875751

Desert. Small town in Mississippi. Occasionally score something uncommon at a pawn shop or flea market.
But...I'm moving to Peoria, IL for a job next week. Are things any better there?

>> No.875754

>>875721

Where in the south?

>> No.875756

>>875716
>Implying the OP would tell you exactly where

Why would he? He'd want to keep his game hunting spots all to himself so he can continue getting the best deals he can.

>> No.875758

>>875701
>math blaster
Holy fuck, so many memories are coming back to me.

>> No.875759

>>875751
I honestly wouldn't know but in the past some people on here from IL have said shit it scarce.

>> No.875761

>>875748
I would have to pay $70 for even one of those things.

>> No.875762

>>875756
Well that and I don't talk to strangers.

Also
>>875754
In a van down by the river.

>> No.875765

>>875759
Fucking reseller plague

>> No.875774

>>875759
Dunno about places up north, but the Southern Illinois area is pretty shit. SIUC drags in a bunch of shitty ass hipsters, likely choking an already starved area. Yard sales are usually dumb shit like trinkets and baby clothes. One pawn shop in town carries nothing but shitty $5 sports games and the other tries to charge $40 for Zelda on NES. Shit's fucking insane.

To be fair, the first pawn shop had what looked like a decent selection of PS1 titles (I did see FF7 there) but I'm always terrified about buying disc-based games at pawn shops.

>> No.875775

Dry Dry Desert.

All I have found in the past six months is Dune for Genesis, a handful of lackluster GBA games, two Genesis controllers, and Superstars of Wrestling for Game Boy.

>> No.875785

>>875774
Why? Usually they have refund policies. Ask them if they are guaranteed to work or have been tested. If they haven't been you can talk them down on the price significantly. Look at the discs and use your judgement. PS1 games are surprisingly durable provided they dont have huge chunk scratches on them,

Ive bought a bunch of PS1 games from yard sales/flea markets/pawn shops. One time I bought one from amazon and got a bootleg copy sent to me so seeing things first hand is always best.

>> No.875795

>>875785
I've always been iffy about used games in general. Had a used copy of GTA2 that would freeze all the time, and Gamestop has jewed me over in the past in the Used/New department, so I try to buy new for newer games. If it's a dusc game and I'm buying it used (especially if it's PS1) then I'm always cautious.

Just been burned too many times in the past, both with fucked up carts and fucked up discs.

>> No.875827

>>875775
That's a jackpot compared to my area.
Been to nearly every yard/garage sale in the last 2 years, haven't seen any video game content for sale

>> No.875830

>like 90% of my area wasn't even built until the mid-to-late-90s
>never find anything retro at garage sales
>CL is full of resellers and "NES + 5 GAME $199"

>> No.875832
File: 93 KB, 322x240, vault101_dweller.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

desert...
literal and metaphor

>> No.875836

>>875721
What state? If you don't want to say, could you at least give a clue?

>> No.875875

>>875759
>>875765
>>875774

Chicago fag here. Desert.
The only place I know of to get games are the Exchange , Disc Replay and this place called People Play Games.

The games are usually too rich for my blood, but the places are alright.
People Play Games have a shitton of consoles, from the Ataris to the current generation.

I like the Exchange because they are very nice people. Like this one time I spotted a cheaper copy of a game we were going to get and the guy let me have the cheaper one without giving me any lip.

>> No.875954

>>875751
I actually live very close to the area so i can tell you from all of the time that i have spent searching for shit in that area that it is a fucking desert planet. You'll be lucky if you find someone selling a mario/duck hunt cartridge around there.

>> No.875980

Northern New Jersey/New York. It's the sahara unless you want to pay videogamechart/ebay prices or above for everything. One store was selling super mario world for 35 dollars. The only bastion is digital press but you're not going to find decent stores otherwise.

>> No.875986

For collecting it's pretty much a desert. Maybe not the driest of deserts but a desert none the less.

>> No.875992

Desert.

My local used game store just got closed down because the natives are fucking retarded. Garage sales are barren, and the only good spot at the flea market is a resellers booth, or at the very least, he checks ebay for game prices.

I did get a good deal on a GBA player for the gamecube from my local store shortly before it closed though. I went in and was talking to the guys there, and since I was a regular, they said I could have anything I wanted really cheap. I got it, and the disk for $5, and a handful of games for less than $50 out the door.

>> No.876014

>>875751
Haven't checked the Peoria area, but there are a few gems. I frequently visit a small place in Ottawa called O-Nett Gaming. They have an ok selection with ok pricing. Other than that, it's a sad place for /vr/ fun.

>> No.876024

>>876014
I've been to a bunch of flea markets, Goodwills, Salvation Army stores, pawn shops, garage sales, and resale shops, and the most that I've really come out with all these trips is a $1 GameCube controller. You really have to dig to find the good stuff in this horrible state.

>> No.876058

>>875836
I'll give you a hint. It's not Florida because Florida isn't apart of the south.

Also my area is probably due to sheer luck. Closest retro game store doesn't look like they actively seek out inventory they just wait till someone trades it in. Counterproductive to a business but hey, more for me. If I went 3-4 in any direction from here I never find anything. For some reason these 2 flea markets I visit, random ads on craigslist and a little bit of luck on ebay I've managed to clean up pretty well.

It'll dry up sooner or later but for now it's good times and sunshine.

>> No.876062

Absolute wasteland. There used to be a few games to be found here and there, but not really at that great of prices, and most of the time people would rather junk something than attempt to hawk it. I could never afford much since I put almost everything away for college, although I got a few cheap games from ebay in the early 2000s. (I got Harvest Moon SNES for about $10.)

A retro shop opened up in my area, and at first I figured it was just some guy who didn't know shit about games and just acted like a used car salesmen and convinced people to buy things at a massive price. Then I found out he was actually very knowledgeable, which was worse. He scours every thrift shop, craigslist deal, Goodwill, and garage sale in a 100 mile radius and buys up shit for nothing before turning around and selling it for 50x the price he spent on it. I can't find anything anymore, and although he has a massive selection, he's way too damned expensive to actually buy stuff from.

What pisses me off the most is he gets things like Earthbound for about a dollar and it sits in his shop with a ridiculous pricetag. Every once in a while you'll see some kid come in and blow his entire savings on stuff like that, even though you could get it on the internet for much cheaper.

I guess I'm just jealous I couldn't do all that first.

>> No.876093

>>876062
Fuck a re-seller. Those ass holes can eat a dick. Don't worry. He's just riding the bubble for now. When his store goes belly up in 2-3 years after these game prices start dropping, you'll be able to go into his store and name your own price. He'll be more interested in getting rid of inventory and staying above water to care that he just sold earthbound for $40.

Yes, I said Earthbound for $40. You'll see it within the next couple years guaranteed.

>> No.876110

>>876058
Deep south or upper south?

>> No.876114

>>876093
Nah, he's sort of the real deal when it comes to that sort of stuff. He loves games, does speedruns, streams, has local fighting game tournaments, rebuilds cabinets, and can talk not only about obscure things within games but also the development history and notes. I'm pretty sure when he closes down, his entire stock is going into some dark closet and won't see the light of day again.

The place is nice, but it's sort of like a Games Workshop for retro games. Yeah, you can find a lot of great people to hang around and play a lot of stuff with other people, but there's always that redshirt leaning over you expecting you to buy something.

>> No.876123

Tucson, Az and despite having no money and inhumane tempts there is always something to find. All about those garage sales.

>> No.876143

I live about 5-10 minutes from Digital Press in Clifton NJ, which is an oasis indeed. There's also a ratty little thrift store, Red White and Blue, within walking distance of my house, that occasionally has good deals.I picked up Advance Wars, Metal gear Solid Ghost babel, and Harry Potter:Chamber of secrets for Game Boy Color today for $2 and some change for each, I may buy Pokemon Pinball their tomorrow.

>> No.876157

South Texas here. Flea markets are dry, garage sales are dry, and there's one resale shop with through-the-roof prices. I buy online. Sure I pay market value, but at least I get it when I want it.

>> No.876174

>>876157
I know that feel bro. Can't find nothing from Houston to Corpus.

>> No.876193

I recently bought a very functional copy of Secret of Mana. Price tag of about 80$ but got it worked down to 65$. And whats better is I've been playing with my friend as well. We're about to start Ice Country and go punch santa in the face.

>> No.876214
File: 59 KB, 540x797, 2013-07-06_02-33-46-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>876193
Damn, bro. My local game shop has it, boxed, for $60, AND there's a 10% off sale right now.

>> No.876216

>go to rural garage sale
>video games
>motocross, wrestling, hunting

every time

>> No.876237
File: 433 KB, 320x240, 1339172399868.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

ALBERTA

DESERT

>> No.876257

>>875658
The Deserts of Southern California. Sports games litter my stores and the prices on games seem to be rising, at least with the larger chains. Still, every once in a while I'll find myself a good deal.

>> No.876263

Do you fucks not have pawn shops in your area or something?

>> No.876264

>>876237

Tell me about it brother. There is no life out in Alberta. Just desolation and death.

>> No.876268

>>876237
edmontonfag here

there's no deserts here budday.

>> No.876271

>>876263
We do, but they either have a shitty selection or they price gouge. Hell, sometimes both.

$50 SMW still makes my blood boil.

>> No.878120

>>876263

Do you not have black people?

They're all guns, jewelry and plasma TVs.

And car stereos.

>> No.878131

>>875658
Does it count if you game hunt on TPB?

>> No.878432

>>878131
>TPB
>durr hurr i collect roms

F
Get out.

>> No.878787

Desert.
I live in the middle of the woods.
The closest things to retro I've seen people selling is a Nintendo DS with some shovelware crap. That was three years ago.

>> No.878894

I should go to the swap meet here just to check it out. Hawaii, so I might even see a few Japanese products (growing up, at least half a dozen of my friends had S. Famicoms and/or SNESs with the pin removed to play SFam games) or other things.

>> No.878925

>>875748
i don't believe you.
mainly because i don't want to. i really don't want to believe you.

>> No.878937

>>875875
PPG is nice if you want to browse, but also too rich for me. I bought the jap copy of eternal ring there and from then on went on a jap game ebay binge.

>> No.878963

>>878925
I have pictures if that would help you sleep at night.

>> No.878972

>>875980
This.

In NY, you can't even go to garage sales looking for a cheap gem or two because people here automatically assume their last gen junk is diamonds.

There are so few independent vidya stores it isn't even funny. You have to make a special trip to go to store that isn't a fukkengamestop or bestbuy.

>> No.879029

>>878972

you NYC or upstate?

>> No.879038

>>879029
Yeah, I meant NYC specifically.

There are a few indie shops that have retro games, but the OP is right in saying that they charge going market rates. No deals here.

>> No.879050

before the retro bubble. an oasiz mine for the taking. i got majority of my collection from goodwill, flea markets and thrift stores and around late 2011, early 2012, the bubble hit and everything has been dry as a bone but ive had some pretty good mirages here and there.

>> No.879057

>>876271
cartridge only? I saw a copy of SMW for $30 at an indoor fleamarket at a mall and no way in hell it would ever sell

>> No.879163
File: 1.36 MB, 3264x2448, IMG_20130505_004002.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Mild to moderate oasis

>can find systems for fairly cheap

>Not so rare games always around, but when they are around, they sell for ebay price

>Can ALWAYS find nintendo & sega essentials, (SMB 1-3, Megaman X, Kirby, Sonic 1-3, Mostly entry level collector stuff)

>Found a CIB Net Yazare PS1 at a flea market for 30 bucks last week

Pic Related, got all of this for around 60 bucks

>> No.879174

>>879163
I remember having a GG. Get the TV tuner and all the kids at the school yard will be jealous (too bad none of them will actually work anymore).

Getting a power pack for the GG would be a good idea considering the system loves to eat batteries and eats something like 6 AAs a pop.

>> No.879196

Dry as bone for me, that's why I trade with friends or import games a lot to save money. Sometimes I venture to eBay and shop around till I find something I don't mind paying.

My friend tells me there's a good retro game store some towns over, haven't gone yet though. Need to save money.

>> No.879207

>>879174

The GG came with an ac adapter and a wide gear, looking to get rechargeable battery pack when i get paid

>> No.879215

Everything, and i mean everything you find, assuming you find anything has a minimum of Ebay price

>> No.879228

New Zealand, total desert. I know one person that has an NES.

But I bought a Famicom and two games from Rakuten Global for $25 NZD the other day. Shipping should be about $30.
For the record, it was actually 35 but I had a bunch of points on my account that took it down.

>> No.879238

Honestly, here in Maine, it fluctuates from desert to oasis overnight. There's at least one reseller who has his sticky fingers in every consignment and pawn shop in the greater Portland area, making really difficult to find gems.

I met with him, however, as he runs a flea market in Westbrook, ME. Nice guy, lots of inventory, and his prices and trade-in value are very fair, so he's not your typical reseller. I like the guy, but he's stealing all my loot.

The shitty thing is, there are very few flea markets up here, so capitalizing on peoples' ignorance is really hard. I did manage to score a great haul at a yard sale, a killer haul at a second-hand entertainment chain store, and occasionally I'll find stuff at pawn shops and thrift stores, but it's never really consistent.

Vacationed in NJ for week, though, and managed to score pretty hard at Digital Press in Clifton, getting a CIB Jaguar for 120. Maybe not the best deal, but I'll still take it for the collection. The flea markets down there are also usually worth the trip, but avoid going in the middle of summer, as temperatures can peak at 100, and most outdoor vendors will pack up really early when it gets that hot.