[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 69 KB, 263x368, Zelda_II_The_Adventure_of_Link_box (1).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8756247 No.8756247 [Reply] [Original]

>you have to find Bagu's house which is in a random forest tile with no indications
>you have to find all the magic containers to finish the game, some are in secret areas hidden in random tiles you can miss it you don't happen to walk into them
>you have to enter into a random house through the chimney. This is the only instance in the whole game of this "Mario pipe" mechanic and there's no indication than you can do it
>you have to find the hidden village smashing a random forest tile with the hammer. This is the only instance in the whole game of the hammer being used for anything else than breaking rocks and there's no indication that you can do it
People complain about Zelda 1 but the cryptic horseshit in this game is on another level, with zero consistency to boot.

>> No.8756248

filtered

>> No.8756250

Get the power, Nintendo Power!

>> No.8756261

>>8756247
>I am bad at the game therefore game bad

>> No.8756267

>>8756247
>a random forest tile with no indications
the npc tell you where to go anon

>> No.8756271

>>8756247
>you have to find Bagu's house which is in a random forest tile with no indications
Pretty sure an NPC tells you where he lives
>you have to find all the magic containers to finish the game, some are in secret areas hidden in random tiles you can miss it you don't happen to walk into them
There are usually either hints or they're located in odd, out-of-the-way places that you're likely to see and think "hmm I wonder if there's something hidden there"
>you have to enter into a random house through the chimney. This is the only instance in the whole game of this "Mario pipe" mechanic and there's no indication than you can do it
This is right after getting the jump spell, and it's the first time you're able to jump up on top of houses. Put two and two together and you might get the idea that just maybe there's something on top of these houses.
>you have to find the hidden village smashing a random forest tile with the hammer. This is the only instance in the whole game of the hammer being used for anything else than breaking rocks and there's no indication that you can do it
Again I'm pretty certain an NPC mentions the vague whereabouts, plus it's like the magic containers where it's in an odd spot with nothing in it, so most people will assume there must be a secret there. Rarely in these types of games are there random areas that truly serve no purpose whatsoever. As for using the hammer on trees, again I think an NPC mentions this, and it's 100% in the manual.

>> No.8756283

>>8756247
>>you have to find Bagu's house which is in a random forest tile with no indications
An NPC tells you that its north of the village in the forest.
>>you have to find all the magic containers to finish the game, some are in secret areas hidden in random tiles you can miss it you don't happen to walk into them
Wasn't a problem on my playthrough
>>you have to enter into a random house through the chimney. This is the only instance in the whole game of this "Mario pipe" mechanic and there's no indication than you can do it
When I saw the chimney on that house that was locked, and obtained the jump spell not too long ago, I said "I bet you can get into that chimney". And what do you know, you can.
>>you have to find the hidden village smashing a random forest tile with the hammer. This is the only instance in the whole game of the hammer being used for anything else than breaking rocks and there's no indication that you can do it
There's literally 2 buttons you have to use in the whole game, and if you come across that area and find nothing there you'd think "maybe there's something hidden" and start pressing buttons, smashing down trees. Plus I'm pretty sure there's an NPC that hints at it too.

Stop pulling up twitter every time you get frustrated or stuck, actually focus on the game and think. Put your phone in another room if you have to, or just shut off the internet. Your discord friends can go without talking to you for a short gaming session.

>> No.8756474

Poor translations and retarded puzzles in an action game is bad. But this problem doesn't even matter anymore. Anyone today can just look up a guide online. Complaining about these problems is redundant.

>> No.8756645

>>8756474
>"go explore in the woods"
>a puzzle
Aonuma really did ruin an entire fucking generation huh

>> No.8756672

>>8756645
you're not exploring, you're looking for one tile
puzzle might not be the right word either but it's somethin
searching? idk

>> No.8756679

>>8756645
Opie is probably a braindead underage who's first zeldar was Skyward Sword

>> No.8756825

>>8756247
I remember sinking hours into this game. I like the fact it was different from the other titles.

>> No.8756964
File: 102 KB, 864x864, B9ABC5ED-269E-4971-B8BF-F0B2092CE0E1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8756247
You're right OP. I'm gonna return my copy and demand a refund.

>> No.8756983

Rambo was better

>> No.8757042

This person also got stuck on the water temple.

>> No.8757150

Will they ever learn that /vr/ isn't the place for them to complain?

>> No.8757568

Zelda 2, is it good? Or is it bad? It's important to consider. Is it good or bad? Zelda 2. What an important game to focus on. Let's think and talk about Zelda 2. Is it good?????? It's important.

>> No.8757574

The only thing I had trouble with was getting the hidden mirror.

Even then it made *me* feel dumb because it's the first empty house you came accross which is very conpicuous. I had tried to look if something was there but simply didn't crouch in the right spot.

Complaining about the hidden village forest is ridiculous. You're told there is something there, and by that point in the game you're bound to have found out that you can break woods with the hammer. All you need to do for that to happen is press A while being in a forest, the NES has two buttons, it's not like there is much to experiment with. Hell one would probably have found out by accident.

>> No.8757597

>>8757574
I actually got stuck on that for awhile but I was a dumb little kid

>> No.8757656

>>8756247
Everything else other than the combat is shit in this game. Progression is linear, overworld is ugly and anti-interactive, random encounters are AIDS, all items other than the glove are glorified keys with no other functions.

>> No.8757903

>>8756247
Zelda II was terrible and it was always rightfully disliked. Contrarians have gotten so desperate over the years that they made up this conspiracy where Zelda II was actually super duper praised and instead our memories are all fake and we're all revisionists.

>> No.8757907

>>8757903
Sounds like you're inventing people in your head to fight with

>> No.8757924
File: 491 KB, 1280x1749, 1637786047549 (1).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8757903
You talk about your personal memory as if it was fact and then call others "revionists", which is actually quite common.

Fact: Zelda II was in the top10 at Nintendo Power for a long time and was still in the top 20 in 1993, more than 4 years after its release.

Fact: Zelda II spawned quite a few clones especially in Japan

Fact: Zelda II was released at the exact same time as Dragon Quest II, it was just as influencial in coming up with gameplay/progression standard for jRPGs

>> No.8757931

>>8757903
>Contrarians have gotten so desperate over the years that they made up this conspiracy where Zelda II was actually super duper praised and instead our memories are all fake and we're all revisionists.
Post TWO examples of this happening, ever. Go on

>> No.8757952

>>8757924
>Fact: Zelda II was released at the exact same time as Dragon Quest II, it was just as influencial in coming up with gameplay/progression standard for jRPGs
Zelda 2 was an early action JRPG, the kind that's still made today. Pure menu JRPGs like Dragon Quest stagnated because the game mechanics never meaningfully advanced beyond the level of CRPGs from 1980.

>> No.8757956

Zelda 2 good or bad. Is it good?!?!? Is it good or bad. Zelda 2! Let's post and think much more, much much more.

>> No.8758008

>>8756672
It's called being awake while playing instead of autopiloting towards objective markers. You should try it once in your life, it's great.

>> No.8758079

>>8758008
mindlessly looking for one tile is not being awake by any stretch lol

>> No.8758105
File: 1.06 MB, 707x1000, d22e6d0ead479a9851c11dbafaf74161.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8757952
>Pure menu JRPGs like Dragon Quest stagnated because the game mechanics never meaningfully advanced beyond the level of CRPGs from 1980.
Ever play Etrian Odyssey? Proper party synergy is not just helpful, it's required.

>> No.8758508

>>8756271
>just waste time randomly exploring around until you stumble upon the place you're intended to go!
great game design

>> No.8758515

>>8758508
>exploration game requires you to explore
Kill yourself.

>> No.8758542

>>8758515
People would be more inclined to explore without the dogshit random encounters every 3 steps.

>> No.8758614

>>8758542
You're just a baby. Get gud.

>> No.8758635

>>8758508
>>>just waste time randomly exploring around until you stumble upon the place you're intended to go!

Don't play adventure games if you don't like their base mechanics. Nobody's going to care about your "I beat Zelda II (with a guide and I hated it!)" gamer creds

>> No.8758687

>>8758105
As someone who enjoys it very much, EO is just Wizardry for babies

>> No.8758689

>>8756247
>>you have to enter into a random house through the chimney. This is the only instance in the whole game of this "Mario pipe" mechanic and there's no indication than you can do it
The indication is the door imo. I found this one out on my own on my first playthrough.
The other 3 i agree is bullshit. Outside those 3 bullshits, i love this game

>> No.8758859

>>8758689
>>you have to find all the magic containers to finish the game, some are in secret areas hidden in random tiles you can miss it you don't happen to walk into them
Really? I don't remember this...
>you have to find the hidden village smashing a random forest tile with the hammer.
This pissed me off a LOT. I spent so much time wandering around those fucking forests. Why would a hammer destroy a forest and reveal a town? I realize it was in the manual, that's how I found out what to do, but it's still just a stupid idea to put this in the game.

>> No.8758948

>>8758859
>This pissed me off a LOT. I spent so much time wandering around those fucking forests. Why would a hammer destroy a forest and reveal a town? I realize it was in the manual, that's how I found out what to do, but it's still just a stupid idea to put this in the game.
The problem of both this and the chimney is that they're one off mechanics. It feels half assed and it would be much more intuitive if they were useful through the game.

>> No.8759004

>>8756247
ITT:
>twenty-something zoomer OP is stumped by things I figured out on my own as an eight year old
Sad, many such cases.

>> No.8759217

>>8757924
Avatar is the greatest movie ever made, I agree with you.

>> No.8759224

>>8757931
You already have at least one example ITT.

>> No.8759231

>>8757907
Sounds like you're one of those imaginary people.

>> No.8759915

Zelda 2

>> No.8760313

>>8759217
>greatest movie ever made

Goal post mover. This wasn't about being the "best ever" but being liked at the time.

>> No.8760457

>>8760313
I'm talking about real people, not sponsored magazines. In fact, even on Nintendo Power, it was consistently ranked below the original Zelda.

>> No.8760508

>>8760457
The votes in NP came from players too, it's one of the closest thing we have left to ascertain a game's popularity by audiance. I mean on top of the fact that it was a best seller constantly sold out that eventually sold 4 millions copies.

> it was consistently ranked below the original Zelda.

In other words
>it was constantly in the top 10 but it was below Zelda therefore nobody liked it

Just stop, you're digging a bigger hole for yourself. The first signs of real decline of popularity for the game (went down from top 10 to 20 in NP, reviews started being more negative about it) started in 92-93 and it probably went downhill from there, that's 4-5 years after its release, which hardly makes for "it was always disliked"

>> No.8761207

This game is the most important game to keep coming back to and having very basic arguments about.

>> No.8761243
File: 79 KB, 191x190, myfacerightnow.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8761207
>>8757956
>>8757568
We get it, thank you!

>> No.8761503

>>8759224
One more to go. You can do it schizo-kun!

>> No.8761551

>>8761243
No you don't. Zelda 2 is actually even more important than you realize. Is it good or bad? Is it good or bad? Is it good or bad?

>> No.8761609

>>8761551
> Zelda 2 is actually even more important than you realize.

actually, yeah....

>> No.8761770

>>8761551
To be fair, it's going to keep coming up because it's underrated. People don't play it because they hear it's a failed experiment in the Zelda series not worth playing. Every once in a while, someone tries it anyway, and lo and behold - it's actually a damn good game. It has flaws, quite big ones at parts, but it's still not anywhere near as bad as people make it out to be. This thread is going to keep coming up because of this disparity. People don't start threads like this about Doom because everyone agrees it is a masterpiece, and no one jumps in to defend Big Rig Racing or whatever because everyone agrees it's a piece of shit.
We get the same argument threads for the same reasons about games that are overrated.

>> No.8761804

You are given a hint and a part of the game is exploration. I found it as a kid without Nintendo Power or guides. Then again I didn’t just give up after a minute or whatever.

>> No.8761819

I did it, just beat Zelda 2 with no continues. Now I want to try the FDS version.

>> No.8762064

>>8758508
>80’s adventure game for the NES doesn’t give you 50 markers and a path on where to go
>doesn’t have a giant sign saying “go here” so therefore its bad
>can’t be assed to so much as conversate with NPC’s to see what they have to say about things
Zelda II may be tedious but so is damn near every vidya of its type. If it really pisses your panties that much, think of it like NES Morrowind. If you can’t be assed to fucking explore in a game thats all about exploring the world of it then why the hell even play it? It has its jank but its not the games fault so many suck ass or have the patience of an ADHD ridden chihuahua that binges Monster Energy.

>> No.8764097

Zelda 2 is it good