[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 23 KB, 391x255, Blackthorne.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8750105 No.8750105 [Reply] [Original]

i've always been a big fan of the 16 bit era. i never really ignored this game explicitly. i played it for the first time last night for about an hour or two. this game is really fun. especially the snes version. i tried the 32X version but didn't really like the graphical style. but this game is fun a good 2d shooter for the snes. that isn't some arcade style game, i have no idea what the story is though. a prince from the planet thule, that looks like its in the middle ages but every body has shot guns lol. and the planet is filled with humans and orcs or whatever they are. this is a good game,

>> No.8750575

>>8750105
>berating the 32x superior version
>conforming with low quality snes version
next time avoid creating such cheap bait threads

>> No.8750756

>>8750575
If anything your post is baity tbqh anon. Op said they just didnt like the graphics. I dont know how that comes off as baity. But okay lmao

>> No.8750763

>>8750105
it's a great game with a cool vibe and mystique. the music and sound effects are burned into my mind. i love the atmosphere, and the slow pace, it gives you time to breath without being boring. it's always exciting to go to the next screen and see what you will find. the puzzles arent too challenging, but they are not tedious either. in all the years that i have revisited this game i have never felt annoyed playing it, and somehow it always feels engaging. even with a sparse story, the characterization of the enemies (the laughing and death sounds), plus running into secret areas with slave men giving you items (curse sarlac) really filled out the world and made it seem like a real place with it's own history. also the fact that you can kill your own guys, and sometimes they are traitors and kill you is pretty cool. i had a lot of snes games growing up and this was a good one at the time, but has become one of my favorites because it holds up so well. the mechanics are great once you get used to them, and there is a great balance in every aspect. also the cutscenes are cool and i love the aesthetic, plus the weird wizard/fantasy vibe mixed with scifi is pretty dope. i never really realized how much soul they packed into this little game now. it's not the best game ever, but for what it is, i would say it's damn near perfect.

>> No.8750770

>>8750575
>>8750756
i didnt even know there was 32x version but after looking it up i dont like it, granted we usually like the first version that we play, but that 3d character look in a 2d looking environment is jarring

>> No.8750791

>>8750763
It has some great death scenes too. I remember an enemy grenade hit one of the chained prisoners in the mines and blew most of the flesh off his skeleton. I never could reproduce it though, they'd just crumple and die every other time.

>> No.8750797

>>8750791
which version? i dont think i ever saw that happen, pretty cool if true

>> No.8750940

>>8750797
SNES. I was surprised because I wasn't used to seeing fairly gory stuff like that back then. I ducked into the shadows and the grenade crawled past on the ground, then I heard an explosion/scream and some particles flew in from offscreen. When I went back into the room it was just a fucked up skeleton hanging there.

>> No.8751031

My family used to stay at this resort every year and it had a tv with a built in controller you could rent snes games from for $7 an hour. I didn’t have an snes and we thought it was awesome. One time, I played this game and never forgot the name. I remembered it years later and forced an ex and a friend who drove hours to see me to watch me beat this game over the course of a weekend while we got completely annihilated. I didn’t beat it, but I got pretty far and it was a good time. One of my favorites.

>> No.8751043

>>8750575
The only bait here is your post
>>8750105
Yeah it’s a great game, like a sci-fi prince of Persia

>> No.8751164

I love the DOS uncensored Version.

>> No.8751170

>>8750575
kys

>> No.8751472

>>8751164
there is a censored one?

>> No.8751479

>>8751472
The DOS version probably has more blood than the SNES one

>> No.8752163

I had never actually heard of this until the thread last week. Turns out I had the 32X and Snes versions in my Rom list so I gave it a shot based on the opinions in that thread.
Really glad I did. Shit that I missed it as a kid because it's right up my alley. I think I'm leaning towards the 32X version solely because the Terminator 2 style one hand shotgun cock is cool as fuck.

>> No.8752859

>>8750105
Check out the DOS version sometime, it has a different but still good soundtrack.

>> No.8755214

>>8752859
Alright. Seems like each version has its own thing going on. 32x. 3d 2d graphics meld and some new levels snes is the snes version and pc has a different sound track