[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 143 KB, 829x507, why.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
873386 No.873386 [Reply] [Original]

/vr/, could you guys please help me with burning PS1 ISOs to CD-RWs? I'm using imgburn and getting these error messages during the verification.

As you can see I want to burn Akumajou Dracula X: Gekka No Yasoukyoku, the english patched version. It's a .bin file with a .cue which is what I'm trying to burn. I'm totally new and full retard when it comes to this so please bear with me.

If it helps, I'm using a Traxdata 700MB CD-RW in an Optiarc DVD + -RW AD-7250H.

I just want to know if/how I can stop the errors and get a successful 'working' copy. Thanks guys

>> No.873416

>>873386
polite self bump

>> No.873420
File: 159 KB, 826x471, why2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>873386
also getting these'uns

>> No.873429

I don't know very much about burning optical media, but the general things are:

>Burning at a lower speed is often safer, the drive's laser will make less errors.

>Make sure you're using quality media, I have no idea about whether or not Traxdata make good discs, but Verbatim discs are considered to be some of the best. More brands can be found through using a search engine.

>Make sure the disc drive you're using is of good quality, like I said I don't know a lot about burning media, so I don't know what constitutes a good burner, but I remember that TSSTcorp drives are pretty terrible. You can probably find some drive recommendations through using a search engine.

You're better off asking a forum that's specifically for PS1 modding, they'll be able to tell you what drive and discs to use, and be able to troubleshoot the error more effectively.

As a side note to the first point I made, I have had problems burning 16x DVD-Rs at 1x before, it made the game very slow to load and play, but that was with a PS2 game, using different discs and a different disc burner.

>> No.873435
File: 281 KB, 1283x1532, 1367705268250.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

You need to be using cd-r not cd-rw.

Best cds for burning ps1 games are Taiyo Yuden.

I use TYs with Nero and have zero errors. Cd-rom
makes no noise, all cut scenes play perfect, and
there is no difference between a real vs. burned copy.

>> No.873441

>>873429
I thought it might depend on the burner - alas, I have only the burner which is installed in my PC tower.

>>873435
Well, that does make sense. I'll see if I can dig out some CD-Rs, All the CD-Rs I have have music on them but I'll give it a try.

>> No.873445

Back when I was burning games to play on my PS1, the best program to burn them was CloneCD.

>> No.873453

>>873441
You can't rewrite CD-Rs, so if they've all got stuff on them, you can't use them for anything else.

>> No.873460

>>873453
Are you sure? I probably sound like an idiot but I'm sure you can erase them/reformat them and then they're clean.

>> No.873468

Has to be a brand new CD-R burned at the lowest speed possible. Try to get CDs made in Japan since they may be made by Taiyo Tuden (JVC). Look for archival quality CD-Rs. Re-writable media does not work. Verbatim used to be he standard for PS1 games, but they are now made in China using inferior dye.

>> No.873482

>>873468
>>873435
Ok, thanks for all your help. I'll see if I can find some Taiyo Yuden CD-Rs on eBay. In the meantime I have burned it to an ASDA (UK Wal-mart) CD-R disc, I got a couple of miscompare errors but it actually completed the verification so it may work, albeit not very well.

Does this seem legitimate to you guys?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-TAIYO-YUDEN-WATERSHIELD-WHITE-INKJET-PRINTABLE-CD-Rs-/151021844091#vi-content

>> No.873501

>>873482
Those discs on ebay are perfect.

Cheaper discs will also work, but the laser in your PS1 won't last very long. The same way
cheap dvd-r discs will break a dvd players laser.

If your PS1 does not read the lower quality disc
you can do a pots adjustment on your PS1's
laser.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJFtFiltGEk

>> No.873504

If I may interject, I've always used whatever crappy CD-Rs I can find in Big Lots for the lowest price with ImgBurn in my $20.00 DVD drive and I've never had a problem with PS1 games. I don't think you need to do anything fancy; you just need to use CD-Rs.

>> No.873506

>>873504
Granted, I should mention that I use a PS2.

>> No.873510

>>873386
1. Imgburn is crap and fucks up even on the best media with the best drive with error-free images.
2. Some Playstation disc images have built-in errors due to copy protection.

Use CloneCD with whatever preset is recommended for Playstation discs.

>> No.873517

Just a reminder, part of some game's copy protection means they will ALWAYS have errors when you attempt to burn or rip them. They don't actually affect anything though and are just there to throw you off. Remember Mega Man Legends had like 100 of them and it still ran with no trouble. Does Alcohol 52% allow CD burning? If so you may want to try that since it has a special PSOne profile you can use. Just turn off error reporting.

>> No.873523

>>873501
Huh. These Taiyo Yuden discs don't look too expensive; I might switch to them.

>> No.875853

>>873506
That's the thing. The PS2 has a decent CD drive. The PS1 has an absolute crap (but okay for the time and more than enough for proper pressed CDs) 1X disc reader that is really REALLY picky with media.