[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 264 KB, 591x387, Super-pac-hanna-barbera.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8697405 No.8697405 [Reply] [Original]

How are you really supposed to play arcade games?

>> No.8697412

You enjoy only the present, which is now the past.

>> No.8697413

>>8697412
what did anon mean by this?

>> No.8697418

>>8697413
let me translate, it's going to be a little rough because it's a metaphor or something but I believe in his native tongue to english it is translated as
>fe-fi-fo-fum, I drink a lot of cum

>> No.8697471

>>8697405
on an emulator so you don't blow all your quarters

>> No.8697527

>>8697405
You try to get as far as you can one credit.
Or you credit feed until you beat the game.
Or you use continues to practice until you get better at the game.
It’s up to you.

>> No.8697531

I honestly don’t know how many of the threads on this board are OP flipping the table because he decided to play an old game and encountered something unfamiliar, and how much are just bait.
Probably does hell that retro game YouTube made it cool to act like a dumbass so that you can criticize things more easily.

>> No.8697542

>>8697531
*doesn’t help

>> No.8697552

>>8697471
>tell people to emulate console games
>coomlectors sperg out becuase it's "not the original experience"
>tell people to emulate arcade games
>coomlectors are nowhere to be found
But in this case it's really not the same, it might even be impossible to use the intended controller without having the real machine. Seems like these "rich" coomlectors love showing off shelves of cartridges but can't afford a few hundred arcade machines, which would actually be impressive.

>> No.8697561

>>8697552
The ideal way to play most arcade games now is with a MISTer. It's far more practical than collecting real arcade hardware and far more accurate and authentic than normal emulation.

>> No.8697567

>>8697531
Answer the OP question

>> No.8697576

>>8697552
>it might even be impossible to use the intended controller without having the real machine.
It's not impossible, but it's a lot more involved than just hitting the buy it now button on ebay.
You could probably make some money making more accurately 80s styled arcade sticks with wico-style leaf switch joystick and buttons and selling them on ebay.

>> No.8697847

Ideally, at your local arcade.

>> No.8697853

>>8697405
1cc or nothing.

>> No.8697867

With a friend for scores. Loser has to buy the next round of drinks. Or a burger if you're not drinking.
Playing for nothing at home in a void it's hard to be motivated.

>> No.8697870

Don't ever continue if you're playing with real money. You'll get more play time starting the game over from the beginning again.
Watch the attract mode to get a sense of how to play the game before putting in your quarters.

>> No.8697880

If you want to 1cc a game.

1. Start a game from scratch.
2. Save state at the beginning of each new level if you completed the previous one without dying once.
3. if you get a game over you can load back the state.
4. You have to make new save states for every session. You can't use yesterday's saves.
5. When you can beat the game a few times using this method it's time to start trying to string it all together without save states for a legit 1cc.

>> No.8697890
File: 51 KB, 1200x840, pinochio.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Protip: pic rel is a bald-faced lie

>> No.8697895

>>8697552
i bet you felt very clever typing that up.

>> No.8697896

>>8697405
>Step 1: Find a local place that has machines. Could be an actual arcade in a mall or something still hanging on, a farmers market, a small restaurant, a laundromat, one of these pay for time/barcade modern joints.

>Step 2: Try out all the games you can once when you find them. See what games "click" with you. Dont feel the need like you have to play every game if you know its not something you like.

>Step 3: Spend time playing the game a little bit every chance you can and get better at it. The experience of playing the game only on certain occasions will make the experience better then playing it non-stop anytime you want, many of these games were not made to be played like traditional home games.

>Step 4: Infinite credits will kill the enjoyment factor. If something with set lives is on free-play, thats fine, you still will need to improve at the game. If you are playing something you can just credit-feed, it will diminish your enjoyment and skill at the game. The actual use of needing to put money into the machine limited how many chances you got, it built up tension when you were close to death. This is personally why I prefer games with set lives and restart at the beginning if you die. It doesnt make it feel like the game is trying to feed on your need to keep going as much because "you are so close to the end of the game!"- keep practicing, and you will be able to 1 credit clear or get mondo scores on your favorite games and then your dick WILL be sucked for your hardships.

Unfortunately, the days of enjoying arcades as intended, is hard to do. If you managed to find just some lone machine somewhere, you will have more of the true authentic experience then someone with a basement full of 1up Arcade machines. The element of fellow arcade players however in the vicinity will be hard to replicate.

>> No.8697898

>>8697880
>If you want to 1cc a game
>cheat

>> No.8697906
File: 121 KB, 832x867, virtual-on.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8697405
With $5-10 in quarters until they run out while you're hanging around, or more money when you're spending a longer time there (either with friends or on your own). You're either playing while you're waiting for food/movie, or making a special trip to the arcade for its own sake. When going for the arcade itself, you'll probably spend longer and maybe focus on a few games you know and like rather than whatever is available.

I miss having an arcade.

>> No.8697910

>>8697906
>ywn be a kid again getting out of school and walking home, find a quarter on the ground, and decide to stop in at the corner hole-in-the-wall arcade to play a single credit round of Q-Bert.

>> No.8697972

>>8697898
That's how it's done these days.

>> No.8697979

>>8697880
What you're describing sounds more like a chore. I lived in a pub for a couple years and would play point blank and the other arcade games after work. Zero save stating or youtube playthroughs and I was able to get 1cc. When money is on the line you're more focused and will figure shit out quickly.

>> No.8698004

>>8697979
With save states you can 1cc a game in two weeks instead of two years.

>> No.8698009

>>8697405
Only putting in as many tokens as loose quarters you can find around your house and limit yourself to that many plays a day sounds kind of fun.

>> No.8698287

>>8697418
Projecting, anon?