[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 27 KB, 460x215, header.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8696876 No.8696876 [Reply] [Original]

It's coming to Steam!

>> No.8696884

>>8696876
Wowie; already got it running in a VM for free. Hope the goyslop version works out for you, though.

>> No.8696913

>>8696884
Good for you! Hopefully everyone can play great games one way or another.

>> No.8696921

>>8696884
>>8696913
What program and OS are you virtualizing anyway? How's the framerate?
I'm thinking of buying a laptop for my son and filling it with a mix of new and old wholesome games

>> No.8696926 [DELETED] 

>>8696884
I'm trans BTW if that matters

>> No.8696930

>>8696921
VMware + WinXP with an ISO I found from archive.org I believe. VMware + an XP ISO is a snap to get running. Runs fine in every way. Might be a way to get it working in native 10 but I didn't find it immediately. I always keep this, DOSbox, and PCem + Win98 handy.

>> No.8696945
File: 33 KB, 509x509, his.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8696930
Thanks!

>> No.8697292

>>8696876
kys

>> No.8698940

>>8695882
>>8691414
>>8698345

>> No.8699243
File: 54 KB, 509x509, 1646780772392m.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8696945
ftfy

>> No.8699445

>>8696876
>It's coming to Steam!
Funny, that's where there are tons of sheep. Steam killed the PC market with their draconian DRM. Either buy older, boxed/loose discs and floppies, or pirate. Never support Steam and Valve.

>> No.8699650
File: 640 KB, 700x691, 1633263373673.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8699445
>Steam dies
>Origin, Uplay, Windows Store and Battle.net are now the biggest game stores where all the games are sold. EA, Ubisoft, Microsoft own the market. Every game is online only, subscription based or streamed. Old games are removed every year. Consume new thing.
>They sue to oblivion all sources of piracy with new technologies. Or they prevent you from using used and pirated games for "security" reasons either on software or hardware level
>Old PC games now cost hundreds of dollars just like console games. The used market is drying up. Old PC's are dying, the hardware to read disks is dying, no one cares about old games anymore because it's too costly and cumbersome for those that missed the early days.
>Boy I sure miss Steam and Valve
Could be us in a decade

Something like Steam was bound to happen and I'm glad it was Steam that took this place because all other big players would be far less consumer friendly. You think Electronic Arts would just sell the latest Call of Duty DRM free on GOG or itch.io if there was no Steam? Just remember that there was DRM before Steam and it would continue to evolve with or without Steam. In fact the success and sales numbers of Steam probably did more to prevent draconian DRM than to promote it. Valve does not own any of the tools that implement the draconian DRM on top of Steam like Denuvo or Uplay.

I buy GOG if it's on GOG, I even bought some games again when they were released on GOG just to support what GOG does. But this angle is bullshit, no one was investing heavily in PC gaming in the late 00's because there was too much piracy and low sales and Steam practically saved the PC market as we know it and ressurrected many forgotten genres like real time strategy and hardcore simulators.

>> No.8699713

>>8699650
I don't think steam is going anywhere, especially since valve makes money by just selling other people's games.

love how egs wasn't even mentioned lal

>> No.8699734

>>8699713
I don't even know what's the DRM situation on the EGS. Even the pcgamingwiki lacks information.
On Steam the majority of the games are installed through Steam but do not need it to work, you can just create a shortcut to their folder and the .exe and run, especially the old games.
Also mods please add pcgamingwiki.com to the sticky

>> No.8699746

>>8699734
EGS doesn't have any native DRM, it's all third party or games that are online only.
>On Steam the majority of the games are installed through Steam but do not need it to work
100% bullshit. vast majority of games use steamworks, only games that tend not to are older games that also have gog versions. Only place without any drm checks is GOG.

>> No.8700301
File: 1.77 MB, 1768x1002, theyre-the-same-picture-pam-the-office-meme.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8699746
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Digital_rights_management_(DRM)

>As part of its larger set of features, Epic Online Services provides some basic authentication and ownership interfaces that developers can leverage as a basic DRM solution to protect against extremely casual piracy. An additional anti-tamper protection (usually Denuvo Anti-Tamper) might be used to strengthen the DRM further.

>As part of its larger set of Steamworks services, Steam provides a basic DRM wrapper and solution that protects against extremely casual piracy and has some obfuscation.[17] An additional anti-tamper protection (e.g. Denuvo Anti-Tamper) might be used to strengthen the DRM of Steam/Steamworks.

>> No.8700597

>>8699445
This. Steam ruined pc gaming.

>> No.8700784

>>8700597
Agreed.

>> No.8701335
File: 272 KB, 2100x1052, 5edgvergr.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8699650
Pretty decent writeup
As far as I'm aware, Steamworks as a DRM is extremely inoffensive compared to what we could be having instead and is easy to defeat too
I'll also add that the Steam market pretty much encouraged Japanese devs to finally port to PC
I'll also add that Valve's forus on Linux is actually a really nice fuck you to Microsoft. Is Steam wasn't there (and the Windows app store wasn't a massive disaster), we could be heading even faster to Windows being walled gardened with only the store being available to install apps
>>8699713
EGS is a really scary attempt to slide themselves into the market by bribing people with free games instead of features and such
I'll never forget how they yanked some really awaited games from Steam at the last minute and Valve actually had to start enforcing previously unenforced rules about it (IIRC, you make a store page, you're legally binded to actually release it on the platform)
Without forgetting them sliding into the Shenmue 3 kickstarter at the last minute to change Steam keys to EGS. Absolute scumbags

>> No.8701367

>>8701335
>As far as I'm aware, Steamworks as a DRM is extremely inoffensive compared to what we could be having instead and is easy to defeat too
DRM is DRM. It should not be a factor or an issue in the first place.
>Is Steam wasn't there (and the Windows app store wasn't a massive disaster), we could be heading even faster to Windows being walled gardened with only the store being available to install apps
How old are you, Anon? Did you experience the pre-steam PC gaming world? Why are you making excuses for a company that has monopolized the PC games market and incentivized as well as encouraged DRM and DLC to other gaming markets as well? What are you getting out of this?

>> No.8701370

>>8701367
>DRM is DRM
Can't say it's only half?

>> No.8701385

>>8701367
I was there before
As said already by other anons, there was already plenty of DRM up the ass, "online serial" and the likes to prevent resale and all sort of scumbaggery already
On console, I'm an extreme proponent of physical media, but PC gaming was already attempting to do everything it could to it prevent borrowing, resale and the likes before Steam even entered the market, and you know it
It was already happening. Thankfully it's easy to pirate on PC due to how open the platform is, so very little is truly lost
>What are you getting out of this?
Not having worse actors (much, much worse actors) controlling said market