[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 126 KB, 500x500, 1359858694628.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
866296 No.866296 [Reply] [Original]

I am one of the many people here that you guys convinced to give the Mega Man series a shot.

I'm currently on Mega Man 4 and I'm for the most part enjoying it, but I have a problem.

I'm using Jnes to emulate these games. I was told it was the most accurate NES emulator. After playing through 3 Mega Man games and working on the 4th, I'm wondering if this is true.

Here are the issues I'm running into:

>Sometimes when full-screen, on the right black bar bordering the game screen, a foggy mess of colors appears. This doesn't happen when I have S-Video options on.
>When an explosion occurs(like Drill Man's bombs or the Hippo enemy's missles in Ringman's stage) I find the games slowing down to a crawl. It fucks up my timing as well as my precision.
>This only happens when running right, but I see sprite distortion when the level is scrolling. This doesn't happen with Super Mario Bros 1, 2, 3, or Lost Levels, but it does happen sometimes with Batman and Castlevania. But its practically always going on in all 4 Mega Man games I've played.
>Sound fucks up sometimes or outright skips sounds.
>My charged buster shot in 4 is sometimes invisible. You can imagine how unsatisfying it feels to charge up a blast and not see it, but it still hit the enemy.

Anyway are there any NES emulators where these issues don't exist or aren't as bad? I can deal with most of these to enjoy these games with the exception of the slow down problem.

I tried fceux and the problems still occur. Am I configuring something wrong or are these just common issues with these games?

>> No.866328

>>866296
All of those issues you just listed are within the games programming and happen on cartridge versions of the game.

The Sprite-limit slowdown is slightly tweaked in that game by Capcom to make it easier to dodge shit.

The scrolling sprite overlaps is common in a lot of Capcom games, and in NES games in General.

The charged buster shot disappearing has to do with the way the sprites are mapped out on the screen. If Mega Man is hit, or th enemy is doing something that fucks up the sprite layer, charged shots and even portions of Mega Man will disappear.

The sounds disappearing is due to the limited number of channels the NES Sound Chip has. There's only a few sounds the chip produces (Square wave, Triangle, Granular Noise, and Two kinds of pulse wave, cant remember if there's more), and all of these instruments being used in songs are sharing the same channels as the sound effects.

It can't overlay note information, so when the Boss or your Health is scrolling up, which uses the triangle sound channel, it will cut out due to the fact that the notes won't overlay.

As far as the foggy mess of colors, that can be anything, I'm not certain if I don't see a screen shot.

>> No.866343

>>866328
This guy is a gentleman and scholar

>> No.866372

>>866328

I reinstalled fceux and the problems don't seem as bad. Namely the slowdown. I was okay with a little bit of it, but Jnes was grinding to a near complete halt.

Thank you for the information. I guess this stuff would be more bearable had I actually grown up with the games.

STILL, I'm really enjoying them.

Currently on Diveman's stage. Toad, Skull, Dust, and Pharoah are all defeated.

>> No.866382

>>866328
this is proof that playing an an emulator is not the same experience as playing on the original system.

OP is having a very differnet experience than someone with an origenal copy would have

>> No.866391

The foggy mess is most likely overscan area.

>> No.866397

>>866343
do you suffer from autism?

>> No.866404

>>866382

Well I'd play them all on my NES if I could, but people don't want to part with them in my area. They're good games.

I could order them, but that's like 30-60 a pop depending on the game.

Luckily, I got to play Mega Man 2 on my NES because I own it. It was very different. I probably should have mentioned that in my OP>

>> No.866409

>>866404
You could buy the Mega Man Anniversary Collection for PS2/GC/Xbox

>> No.866417

>>866409

Yeah I've been on the lookout for it. Trying to get it local and I've been trying to get the PS2 version.

The Xbox Controller is an abomination and the Gamecube version has a fucked button layout.

Honestly I'm considering just grabbing them off of the Wii U Virtual Console when they're all available.

>> No.866434

>>866417
The button layout isn't anything to scoff at. You get used to it very fast, and if I'm not completely wrong, you can use the X button to mimic NES controls.
AC also has the PSOne games, which are upgraded from the NES games and has the Arcade fighters.

>> No.866474

>>866434

>B button is jump
>Giant A button to shoot

Yeah, that sounds like it takes some getting used to. Even with using the X button.

MEH.

I could always get those same PSone upgrades on PSN

>> No.866476

>>866474
>I could always get those same PSone upgrades on PSN
And that would still leave all the extras and the Arcade fighters out of the equation, most likely it would come cheaper to get AC as well if you know where to look.

>> No.866480

>>866409
It annoys me that it's not available in PAL regions.
Why does game companies hate us so? ;_;

>> No.866482
File: 5 KB, 550x100, nestopia.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Why don't you try using a good emulator for starters.

>> No.866486

>>866480
I live in Northern Europe and I bought it less than 30€.

>> No.866498

>I was told it was the most accurate NES emulator.

Whoever told you that has no idea what they're talking about.

>> No.866508

>>866480
I imported it at release and used a freeloader disc to play it on a PAL Gamecube. Although it runs too fast I think but I played it through at that speed. Strangely X-collection doesn't work on my hd tv but it did work on my crt.

>> No.866517

>>866508
Remember that PAL is 50Hz whereas NTSC is 60Hz. In that sense, they do run faster than what you remember from your childhood as AC runs on 60Hz, but that's natural.

>> No.866525

>>866482

Thanks!

>>866498

Well after using Jnes, I can definitely see that they didn't.

I'll give Nestopia a shot now.

Anyway, so I just beat Dr.Cossack. Either I've become very adept at Mega Man since I started playing these games a couple days ago, or Mega Man 4 is the easiest out of the first four games.

>> No.866528

>>866525
Mega Man games didn't get any easier really, you just got better.

>> No.866530

how many times did you savestate

>> No.866540

>>866517
Well I'm kind of a Megaman fan so I own three different VC versions of MM1 (3DS, Wii and WiiU) as well as the PAL cart and when I play collection it runs even faster than the US version. I remember reading somewhere that this is what happens when you play a 60hz game on a 50hz console without modding it obviously.

>> No.866545
File: 42 KB, 488x519, 1366782721450.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>866530

I haven't been using Save states. I died over and over and over on the first three Mega Man games and on Mega Man 4 I died several times to Drill Man, as well as Pharoahman and touched spikes a few times in one of the Dr.C levels.

Other than that its been a cakewalk compared to the first three. Namely Mega Man 1. Jesus christ I was raped repeatedly by Yellow Devil.

>> No.866547

>>866528

Well I guess we'll see how I do with 5 after I beat Dr. Wily in 4.

>> No.866550

>>866547
You'll do fine.

>> No.867123

>Jnes
>most accurate NES emulator ever
>not nestopia, nintendulator or punes

>> No.867726

>I was told it was the most accurate NES emulator.

You got trolled. According to blargg's test ROM suite, it's on par with Nesticle

>> No.867745

>>866545
They are way too easy after 1-3. 1 is a bit too archaic and unpolished. 2 and 3 have minor flaws, but are otherwise flawless in difficulty and playability.

4-6 are really fucking easy and bland if beat the first 3

Then 9 is accumulation of all that is good

>> No.867758

>>866525

Same here, started playing a while ago.

I got all the way to Wily Second form but rage quit. Not looking forward to it.

>> No.867818

>>866482
>not Nintendulator
Fucking dropped.

>> No.869225

>>866296
> I was told it was the most accurate NES emulator.
You were told wrong.

http://tasvideos.org/EmulatorResources/NESAccuracyTests.html

>> No.869274

>>869225
How good is puNES anyway?

>> No.869851

>>866296
There's a reason why Mega Man 9 has most of the things you listed.

>> No.869857

>>866409
You realize that's a collection of emulated versions of those games, right?

Buying that is like buying the Sonic Gems Collection for Sonic CD. Or the Sonic Mega Collection in general.

>> No.869879
File: 405 KB, 867x1907, puNES filters.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>869274
You tell me. Pic related. I highly recommend using the RGB filter if you will be using puNES, since the screen is oddly narrow without filters.

Seems to emulate fine to me, and since it passes more NES emulator tests than any other, I figure it's probably pretty good.