[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 220 KB, 1173x485, ganondorf.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8613532 No.8613532 [Reply] [Original]

I've always wondered when this scene is meant to take place. The way it happens in game makes it feel like it occurs shortly after Link pulls out the master sword, like Ganondorf was secretly following him because he knew he had the key to the secret realm. At least thats what I assume based off his dialogue in the scene.

The only issue with that though is that if you travel back in time as link everything is still fine. You would think if ganondorf got the triforce he would have immediately started wrecking shit and taking over the castle but everything is fine as a kid. And I mean you can go back in time and spend days without any appearance from ganondorf. So does Ganondorf go in right after link, or does he go in a couple weeks/months later or something?

I know this is very autistic but I've never seen it discussed so I'm keen to hear any theories or explanations people have.

>> No.8613960

>>8613532
When you travel back, you travel back to a time before Link pulled the sword and Ganon got in. Notice how the sword is still at the altar.

>> No.8613962

Isn't it explained in Twilight Princess?

>> No.8613974

I just want a zelda game where you play as Ganon.

>> No.8613984

>>8613962
Not really. For whatever reason, they chose to portray TP's connection to OoT in a very vague manner in-game, and its references are more implicit than explicit (contrast TWW, where right from the get-go, it leaves zero doubt as to how it relates to OoT, and keeps it that way throughout). As it pertains to Ganondorf, all the game says is he tried to take over the Sacred Realm at some unspecified point in the past (they almost make it sound like it happened last week, even though it's supposed to be at least a hundred years past), but he was "blind" to some "danger" and it ended in him getting captured and brought to justice. It took an interview with Aonuma to clarify that said danger was OoT Link going to help Zelda warn the king about Ganondorf after coming back from the future, and I guess they succeeded in convincing him together somehow so that when Ganondorf attempted his coup, they were ready for it and surprised him, hence his "blindness".

So, the way it works is, when you put the sword back in OoT, it transports Link back to the moment before he pulled the sword. In the ending, however, Zelda apparently sends him back before any of the game's events, hence why the sword is already in the pedestal. Just don't ask how he gets out with the Door of Time still closed, though.

>> No.8614127
File: 32 KB, 309x347, me.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8613532
i always took it to mean Ganon shows up whenever between the time you open the door and the time Link wakes in the sacred realm and this was like a message left for him, he had 7 years to waltz in and do whatever he wanted.

and i get the same vibe from the beginning of Half-Life 2 with the G-Man saying to wake up and smell the ashes (left in the wake of the right man being in the wrong place)

>> No.8614151

>>8613532
How could Ganondork is more bald in some versions of the game than others?

>> No.8614196
File: 12 KB, 413x225, th.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8613960
>Be me
>Be a few months ago
>Be the leader of a kick-ass coven of hot female thieves
>Just want to sit around getting poon all day
>We lost the war though, and some old king demands my fealty
>Fuck that
>Cut to today, my plan to overthrow the old bastard is about to come to fruition!
>The kid with the Ocarina and the Stones is about to grab the sword, opening the way to the Spirit Realm
>The Triforce will be mine
>He jumps onto the pedestal
>He grips the sword!
>And he jumps off again
>whattheeverlovingfuck.jpg
>He runs off back into town. I follow.
>He buys some masks, kills some spiders, fucks around learning songs with the brat from the ranch
>Finally he goes back to the Temple of Time
>Okay, here we go!
>The kid runs off again. This time he's just pissing about for days playing luck based carnival games in Castle Town
>This goes on for weeks. Grabbing the sword, then running away to buy magic beans and other asinine shit
>Today he dropped down into the monster infested torture chamber beneath the village
>He's probably gonna get killed
>mfw I'll never get the fucking Triforce

>> No.8614260

>>8613532
well, before that, he goes and chases after zelda and sheik by horse, so it's probably like a week or two afterward lookin for em high and low he figures to check it.

>> No.8614274
File: 13 KB, 571x500, 12676088536.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8614196

>> No.8614336
File: 271 KB, 987x809, 5879969b6669f.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8614196
lol

>> No.8614351

I have this weird head cannon version of what really happens in the legend of Zelda because they have a weird relationship

Link is a doctor and father to his daughter Zelda who is suffering from a terminal illness. The disease is called ganon, and every bout of chemo kills it but it returns. Zelda dies but not before link uploads her onto an AI, himself as her protector and the structure of the disease as ganon which manifests itself as the personification of ganondorf

Zelda is fated to die, ganon is fated to eventually win and the only hope is a cure to ganon, a master sword (a cure)

The ai is attempting to find this cure, a master sword in a hidden Forrest ( a needle in a haystack)

>> No.8614361

Ok I'll try explain this paradox/phenomena as best as possible:

When Link is inside the temple and you pull the sword, you jump forward seven years, right in the middle spot just after Link pulls the sword Ganondorf lurks around as some evil entity (which also explains Phantom Ganon) 'Dorf is always about to decide to derail the timeline as it may be predetermined that he will unleash all hell, and the whole point is that Link is somehow stuck in the sage's realm, a pocket space dimension stuck for 7 years safely until he is well enough fit physically in order to be released into that terrible timeline, which the sages are in a way trying to fix quickly and due to Link being stalked by Ganondorf they always protect him immediately as he pulls the sword because that's when Ganondorf takes advantage, but when Ganondorf took notice that he could unleash hell (and prophetically seen as the Gerudo king) and noticing at the same time Link is being withheld right after Ganondorf becomes somehow self aware he also somehow conveniently takes advantage of Link being safeguarded just as Link is about to warp the 7 years, so the sages as a countermeasure can send link back in time through a wormhole in order to change some events that will alter future ocurrences allowing and leading Link to defeat the rise of Ganon as a destructive iteration.

Or maybe the sages are fooling Link with a dream while he died from pulling the sword that is all too powerful.

>> No.8614668

>>8614196
kek never thought about it this way.

>> No.8615442
File: 36 KB, 535x196, OoT_Comic_War.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8613532
I wish we knew more about the civil war, there's only a few things in-game that leave you guessing about how it could have gone down

>> No.8616428

>>8615442
I mean I guess civil war implies it wasn't gerudo vs hylian or anything like that but hylian vs hylian. Who the fuck fought who??? There's like 2 human settlements in this whole fucking game

>> No.8616465

>>8615442
I was so let down hyrule warriors was just fanfiction and not one of the wars mentioned in the series. At least 2nd game kinda got it right.

>> No.8617082

>>8613984
>Just don't ask how he gets out with the Door of Time still closed, though.
I never considered this. I sure hope someone was fired for that blunder!

>> No.8617268

>>8613984
>>8617082
the door is opened when she sends him back during the ending, maybe it works as a one-way if you lack the stones

>> No.8617274

>>8616428
The Hylians fought the Gerudo

>> No.8617345

>>8617274
I can see it, but proofs? Or a theory at least?

>> No.8618051

>>8613532
Ganondorf likely followed Link right in, and that scene probably takes place between the dimensions -- basically in transit between Hyrule and the Sacred Realm. When Link travels back during the game, Ganondorf is presumably already in the Sacred Realm, and stalling probably won't help since the pathway likely isn't locked on the Sacred Realm's side, otherwise Rauru would be fucked if he ever needed to reach Hyrule and couldn't split his soul in half.

>> No.8618073

>>8613984
>For whatever reason, they chose to portray TP's connection to OoT in a very vague manner in-game
probably because they realized WW completely fucked the lore since OoT was supposed to be a prequel to ALttP
too bad they fucked it up either way with "official timeline"

>>8614196
fucking kek

>> No.8618689

>>8618073
Don't even get me started on this. I fucking hate the official timeline. And I hate what WW did to it even more. I'm glad it's contained in its own little cuck containment branch.

>> No.8618757

>>8616465
What. Hyrule Warriors AoC is LITERALLY fan fiction "what if" alternate timeline bullshit. They were too pussy to have everyone lose and die like they are supposed to

>> No.8618760

>>8614196
>We lost the war though, and some old king demands my fealty
So all jokes aside that isn't what happened, it was a war between the Gorons and the Zora, and the Hylian Civil War happened as a result of the Hylian people being divided on whether or not to interfere in the war or to stay neutral and it came to blows. The Gerudo actually had nothing to do with it.
According to the Historia anyway

>> No.8618979

>>8618760
Genuine question, if this is the official take, then why does Ganondorf have to pledge service to the king?

>> No.8619010

>>8618979
Y'know what since this is a magical world I wouldn't be surprised if swearing loyalty to the king, then breaking that loyalty, has some sort of negative magical consequence on the traitor

>> No.8619062

>>8619010
That's not what I asked, smartarse. I asked why Ganondorf had to pledge loyalty at all if the Gerudo weren't part of the war.

>> No.8619064

>>8613532
I see it as when Link comes back as a child, Ganondorf is still in the Sacred Realm. Its not like you ever run into him again as kid Link.

As for how he gets there in the first place. I dont know, its a video game. You'd think whatever knowledge or power Ganon got from the Sacred Realm would make him invincible. Why did he go there in the first place if he is pretty much the same being only ruling over a single kingdom?

>> No.8619134
File: 167 KB, 579x774, OoT_Comic_12.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8618760
>it was a war between the Gorons and the Zora, and the Hylian Civil War happened as a result of the Hylian people being divided on whether or not to interfere in the war or to stay neutral and it came to blows. The Gerudo actually had nothing to do with it.
>According to the Historia anyway
This isn't in Historia, it's in the German Club Nintendo comic of dubious canonicity
The only thing really hinting at any conflict between the Goron and Zora in-game is how the Gorons react in fear to seeing the Zora mask

>> No.8619138

>>8618979
Either he was conquered, swears loyalty to gain the benefits of being a vassal or inherited the status quo of being such.

>> No.8619148

>>8619062
It's kind of a foreign concept to those brought up in modern liberal democracies but he might not have to but wants to, because serving someone awesome makes you awesome.

>> No.8619158

>>8619148
I mean, mutts think it's awesome to die for Israel...

>> No.8619240

>>8619062
Mine wasn't a smartass comment and I was literally just quipping with a random thought I had, calm the hell down schizo

>> No.8620267

>>8615442
Apparently the civil war is between Hylians over if they should get involved in another war.

Meanwhile the Gorons and Zoros are not fighting with each other due to the evils Ganondorf unleashes. Cool enough story, but there's nothing in the game which alludes to their war in the first place.

>> No.8620481

>>8619062
Probably to grant the Gerudo women safe passage in his lands, kinda like renewing a passport. If they didn’t, their kind would probably go extinct due to being locked up for trespassing in a different country without clearances or being hunted outright. Remember that a male gerudo is born once every hundred or so years, and the women venture into town to take loads of strapping Hylian lads when they’re fertile. Any deviance from that arrangement, and they’d be done for.

>> No.8620493

>>8618073
>>8618689
Wind Waker’s story makes so much sense if you just put it at the end of the entire series. Ganon being turned to stone with the Master Sword buried in his skull along with Hyrule being lost forever beneath the sea has a real sense of finality to it.

>> No.8620707

>>8620493
Makes the sequels even more worthless than they already are when you consider that. WW was fine but I don't understand why some fags love the DS games so much.
That said, we can't do as you suggest because nooo, hecking epic BotW goes at the end and Ganon is no longer a person but a force of nature, which is the gayest way they could have ruined what little character he had. I hate post-SS Zelda so much.

>> No.8620750

>>8620707
doesn't it go at the end of the downfall timeline which is when he was a beast every time anyway? i mean they don't confirm it granted but considerin how there's no new hyrule in that game it'd make sense

>> No.8620754

>>8620750
As far as I'm aware, the three branches tie back into one another with BotW.

>> No.8620780

>>8620754
This is a baseless internet fanon thar somehow gets treated as "Aonuma confirmed" when he never did. The most he said was it'd a timeline "where Ganon returned several times", and only Downfall makes sense within that description.

>> No.8620794

>>8613532
>The only issue with that though is that if you travel back in time as link everything is still fine. You would think if ganondorf got the triforce he would have immediately started wrecking shit and taking over the castle but everything is fine as a kid. And I mean you can go back in time and spend days without any appearance from ganondorf.
Actually, if you go back to Hyrule Castle Courtyard, the guards block you from being able to go any further than the very first chamber, presumably beefing up security because of the crisis with Zelda's escape. So returning to "the past" just sends you back to after Zelda ran away.

>> No.8620801

>>8620780
Thanks for correcting me. I'm not sure which scenario would be better, though. It always seemed to me that the timeline was mostly an afterthought (outside of obvious sequels) that didn't make a ton of sense, and that Nintendo cobbled it together because fans were demanding it for so long. Tying it together with BotW would at least give them a way to continue after unifying the branches, but it'd also mean that its retarded lore would have wider-reaching implications, like the stupid shit they did with Demise applying to all of the games because lol they put it at the start of the timeline.

>> No.8620817

>>8613984
>For whatever reason, they chose to portray TP's connection to OoT in a very vague manner in-game
Honestly a lot about Twilight Princess's narrative is weirdly vague. There's a lot of talk about "the power of the gods", "interlopers", "dark magic",
"our tribe", etc. It feels like the game is scared to name anything that would add a concrete addition to Zelda lore.

>> No.8620824
File: 393 KB, 556x317, 2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8619134
Lol

>> No.8620848

>>8620817
Yes, I got that sense as well. One of the things I found weird is how the word Triforce is nowhere found in the game despite its imagery being all over the place. Also found it strange how vague they were about the ancient Hero. All they say is he saved Hyrule long ago, but they don't tell you from what. And before you say Ganondorf, I don't think that's right, because they are quite explicit regarding the events surrounding him, which are clearly meant to be those of OoT's child timeline, but nothing is said about a Hero being the one who stopped him, and indeed, when he does meet Link, he literally ignores him and only directs himself at Midna, like having a Hero wielding the Master Sword before him means nothing to him. And don't get me started on Zant's odd connection to the 'dorf, which apparently only makes sense in the context of an odd bit of Japanese mythology.

Mystery in and off itself is not a bad thing, but TP just doesn't execute it well.

>> No.8620858

>>8620848
>And don't get me started on Zant's odd connection to the 'dorf, which apparently only makes sense in the context of an odd bit of Japanese mythology.
I interpreted it as them bonding their bodies together to create a sort of psychic link between them, allowing both of them to become more powerful in the process. So the neck crack at the end could be Zant committing suicide and thus killing Ganondorf, who can no longer be resurrected since Link's Master Sword through his chest cancelled out his Triforce of Power evidently.

>> No.8620876

>>8620858
Yeah, again, it's based on a mythological concept of a certain type of Japanese priest that is capable of binding himself to a god (they apparently wore garb very similar to Zant's, and his helmet is styled after their traditional headwear), and if one were to die, the other can resuscitate him, even from the afterlife. Should one of them decide to break the bond, however, resuscitation becomes impossible. So essentially, what happened is Ganondorf was about to die, and to save himself, he tried to revive Zant so that Zant could revive him in turn, but I guess Zant realized Ganondorf didn't actually give a shit about him and preferred to stay dead and break the bond so Ganondorf would die as well.

>> No.8620885

>>8620876
And by the way, my issue is not with this mechanic so much that it was poorly explained. Perhaps Japanese players were expected to get it with little explanation beyond the bit that Zant gives about expecting resuscitation from Ganondorf, since it's based on their mythology, but over here the whole thing confused people.

>> No.8620943

>>8619062
>I asked why Ganondorf had to pledge loyalty at all if the Gerudo weren't part of the war
Honestly the simplest answer is probably correct and it just makes it easier for Ganondorf to move freely around Hyrule

>> No.8620983
File: 30 KB, 350x243, 0127-Ganondorf.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8613984
>>8617082
he isn't sealed behind the door of time until the ending, which actually never happens at all because zelda reverses the time.
At the end of OOT, link is a kid again and ganondorf is being a royal family representative of the gerudo or some shit

>> No.8620991

>>8620983
well... no... i guess the whole point of the door of time is that it kept him there even with the reversal of time....
maybe zant let him out in TP? idfk

>> No.8621130

>>8620780
>>8620801
Downfall used to make sense when it was believed that Calamity Ganon was actually Ganon, but ever since the BotW2 trailer it's been revealed that Ganondorf is still alive and CG was equivalent to Phantom Ganon on steroids, and in Downfall he abandons his human form to become a pig 24/7, so now it's still up in the air

>> No.8621621

>>8621130
Cripes, what a mess.

>> No.8621694

>>8620983
>>8621130
The timeline was a fucking mistake. Demise was a bigger mistake .

>> No.8623032

>>8621694
Amen.

>> No.8623063

>timelinefucks
IT'S A FUCKING GAME
JUST FUCKING ENJOY IT AS IT IS
EVERY FUCKING GAME DOESN'T HAVE TO BE PART OF SOME OVERARCHING MAJOR LORE BULLSHIT
FOR FUCK'S GODDAMN SAKE
And OOT is fucking shit anyway. Fuck the awkward controls and WORDSWORDSWORDS boring bullshit. Zelda 1 is the only good Zelda.

>> No.8623065

>>8623063
dangerously based

>> No.8623140

>>8623063

>> No.8623162

>>8623063
most based post on 4chan right now

>> No.8623335

>>8623063
pretty much every game is directly connected to another one except like the four swords ones, and there was one retcon in the span of 30 years. i hate how people pretend it's complex for no reason when it's pretty blatant, ya don't need to overthink it.

>> No.8623341

>>8623335
shut the fuck up retard

>> No.8623348

>>8623341
okay fine then go pretend zelda 2 is not infact a sequel to zelda 1 and that alttp isn't a prequel to both of those games and oot isn't a prequel to that etc

>> No.8623374

The timeline shit bothers me so much because every Zelda fan is a fucking idiot and didn't see the disclaimer directly to the side of the timeline that said in universe the historia is a historical accord based on what information they had at the time and may he subject to change. It's like real history trying to piece together prerecorded history.

Breath of the Wild intentionally could be any 3 branches, but it is impossible to determine which one because IT DOESN'T MATTER. There's even a quest in game making fun of people who fight about it with the historians and the 3 whales trying to figure out how they died out.
also the goddesses were ayylmaos and no I wont elaborate.

>> No.8623380

I can't find the actual scan but here's a fan translation of what prefaces the timeline. They made it vague so we have fun speculating it like when we were kids and Mew was under the truck but they didn't account for how awful the internet is.

>The Cyclical History Surrounding the Triforce

…This is a tale that was passed down by humans such as yourselves…

Within these pages, the history of Hyrule which spun many entries in the Legend of Zelda series into different branches is introduced. Why is it legend, and why does it represent a cyclical history? In due course, you will read everything from the reason why Skyward Sword is said to be the first story right up until the later eras. Because what is being spun is the flow of history right up until the end of time, we wish for you to touch true adventure with your own hands and try to ascertain it for yourself.

Before We Unravel the History:
•History is Still Being Spun

This chronology is not limited to information that is currently confirmable. It also contains much that is unclear. The history of Hyrule is known to change with the times and the person telling it, and will continue to unfold. Even if none of the important points waver by much, new legends will continue to be born and history may yet be rewritten.

>> No.8623389 [DELETED] 

>>8623380
Also BotW rewrote all the former games as being so log ago that it's all age an of myth where no one knows what happens.

Twilight Princess pandering to the celda crying american fucks was a mistake. They should have just continued on from WW with new stories on a new continent with new art styles and fuck off with Sora Goron shit goddamn. That way the timeline wouldnt matter but it wouldnt be infuriating that nothing matters in universe no one would think about it.

The previous hero in BotW was just a barbarian link

>> No.8623392

>>8623374
Historia was a fanboy scam. It's obvious to anyone over 12 that they make the story up as development goes along.

>> No.8623405

>>8623392
And that's fine with me honestly it's just the droves of fans who argue about the timeline that I have a problem with. It literally can not be any more clear that if you have a timeline that is prefaced with "DECIDE FOR YOURSELF AND ITBMAY CHANGE AT ANY TIME" that it's not meant to be a fucking bible.

>> No.8623424

>>8620817
>There's a lot of talk about "the power of the gods", "interlopers", "dark magic",
>"our tribe", etc. It feels like the game is scared to name anything that would add a

Some of that is due to a shitty fantranslation. There was a good youtuber who explained the proper translations for that and how Demise' translation is fucked up because our translation omits the demon tribe and even how BotW fucked up the line about ganon not giving up on revival.

Nintendo of America and treehouse should just not have jobs.

I think this is it but I might be wrong. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gayft7cocL0

>> No.8623430

>>8623424
I mean translation not fantranslation

>>8623405
Also people dont realize that it's like Lord of the Rings. What we read isn't actually what happened it's Frodo's written book about what happened. What really happened was the history Tokien wrote about it. But that's obviously a hell of a lot better executed and only means some things are exaggerated.

>> No.8623453

>>8623374
>the historia is a historical accord based on what information they had at the time
So there's a universe with information about multiple timelines? That complicates things even more.

>> No.8623460

>>8623380
>Even if none of the important points waver by much
What if all of the important points are in constant flux?

>> No.8623483

>>8623453
Wow I never even thought about that. The Hyrule Historia was a fucking mistake...

>> No.8623595

As a kid I thought OOT was a reboot of the previous zelda's, like Star Fox 64. I was a happy kid before I discovered HTLOZ.com and their timeline theory.
I am still triggered that the "original" princess Zelda of AoL isn't even the original princess anymore.

>>8618757
I hate that they didn't give us tons of fanservice characters and cool DLC characters like the original HW had to keep it "canon" only for them to pull off that BS.

At least the original HW also with the "it's magic" you can put it into your headcanon as it actually happening.

>> No.8623606

>>8623341
Fuck off, little man

>> No.8623608

>>8623063
>IT'S A FUCKING GAME
And games have had overarching connections to each other in their respective series since long before you were born.

>> No.8623654

>>8623424
>>8623430
I know there's been a lot of translation issues throughout the years, but it used to be the problem with the earlier games' translation, due to their story being sparser, was NoA changing or making shit up. Now the problem is they omit crucial details, and TP appears to be the most notorious in this regard. At least with TWW, as far as I know, they did omit some stuff that further cemented the split timeline concept, but it wasn't outright required to fully understand the story.

>> No.8623657

>>8623595
OoT was always based on the prologue from LttP with the 7 sages and intended to be a prequel to it. It was no theory.

>>8623608
Yes but the entire timeline still doesn't matter. Even OoT being the prequel to LttP barely matters.
>>8623380

>> No.8623678

>>8623657
The timeline matters somewhat. Some things are just set-in-stone facts, OoT will never get retconned to take place, say, after AoL because that's just nonsensical from what we see in the games. All the official timeline really clarified anyways is how the pre-OoT games fit with TWW stealing ALttP's original place and where the Four Swords games go (of which, FSA is pretty much the only "important" one).

>> No.8623710

>>8623678
That would still be less nonsensical than the Downfall timeline originating from a death we don't see in a game in a videogame series where you can die at literally any point in combat or hazards without causing a magical new timeline.

>> No.8623717

>>8623608
>>8623678
Nothing you say has any bearing on what you're replying to...

>> No.8623728

>>8623710
It's the only way to mantain some sort of connection between OoT and ALttP as it was originally intended without creating worse problems placing it after TP or in New Hyrule after Spirit Tracks. Yes, it's a shitty justification, we all agree on that.
>>8623717
You don't need to butt in if you don't know how to read.

>> No.8623731

>>8623710
That's what bothered me the most about the "Link dies lol" timeline. It's not actually a timeline, but an alternate "what-if" scenario after which canonical games happen to take place because Nintendo wanted to have their cake and eat it, too. Unfortunately, it's now opened the door for further "what-ifs", as apparently evidenced by AoC. I suppose in a sense it means they no longer have to try to make sense of anything anymore, as, akin to capeshit, they can now freely retcon games and have them take place in alternate realities if they feel like it.

>> No.8623752

>>8623728
Actually, I change my mind. It wasn't the only way, I think it would have been more satisfying if they just said "OoT could lead into either ALttP or TWW". No Link dying. You would have had the old inconsistencies with the state of the Triforce between OoT and ALttP but I think if they went this route, they would've satisfied more fans.

>> No.8623817

The "timeline" was much better in its original form: loosely connected pairs of games. LoZ>AoL, then a loose prequel and its sequel ALTTP>LA, another loose prequel and its sequel OoT>MM, a pair of loose sequels based around the adult and child timelines of OoT in WW>TP, a pair of interconnected games that can fit basically anywhere OoS>OoA...
It's funny that it was about this time that both Nintendo and the fans forgot about this structure and ended up adding in extraneous timelines and games that don't fit. Twilight Princess in particular seemed to confuse a lot of people with how vague it was. And the Minish Cap for not having a companion game and breaking the routine.

>> No.8623903

>>8623817
nah, there were already tons of discussions online about the timeline and its placement before the clusterfuck. HTLOZ.com and zeldalegends had tons of different timeline theories and what not, it wasn't as clear cut as revisionist zelda timeline historians like to believe even if looking back at it now it seemed far simpler. Also back then people actually tried to make more connections, nowadays the timeline is accepted as soon as something "kinda fits" back in the late 90s/early 00s people questioned everything to make the timeline make sense.

But yeah Nintendo messed up big time by making Wind Waker a sequel to OOT. You can't blame them after it being a huge hit but we already had a sequel to OOT, this is when the timeline discussion became far more popular since there was a big civil war between split timelines or not and the real placement of ALTTP. Overall both theories of split or single timeline seemed valid even if neither was loved but then because WW got criticized for being kiddy we got another sequel to OOT with TP and that's when shit hit the fan since we had 3 sequels to OOT. Most single timeline theories eroded with only a few brave soldiers trying to fit it all into one and even split timeline theories made no sense anymore.

It was still best left to speculation. Nintendo messed up even more by trying to release an official timeline since they didn't even care to give it much thought and the third timeline out of nowhere BS. If they were going to explain they should've put more effort into it. I also hated that they made the fan favorite theory to have the Oracle games be LTTP/LA link be canon since it was clearly never meant to be that way, Link meets zelda for the first time there basically.

>> No.8623943

>>8623731
>they can now freely retcon games and have them take place in alternate realities if they feel like it.

They don't even have to do that. From what I understand right now in BotW literally every prior game has become the Age of Myth and does not matter where they were on the timeline because so much time has passed that history has literally become lost to time. And that's why BotW has references to almost every single game in its map and everywhere else.

So the time line really doesn't matter now. It just goes Age of Myth to Age of Calamity. Which makes me wonder why they even made an official one? For shit like Link Between Worlds which only happened once?

>> No.8623950
File: 298 KB, 1600x1400, fairydragon_jabu.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.8623967

>>8623903
>But yeah Nintendo messed up big time by making Wind Waker a sequel to OOT. You can't blame them after it being a huge hit but we already had a sequel to OOT

It may have been a mistake to you because of timeline reasons but I thought it was such a great sequel in terms of theming and storytelling. It helped contextualize the entire art style being drastically different and it was basically about trying to move on from the massive success of OoT into the future with something new. It wouldn't have been as good if it wasn't a sequel to OoT.

Then they overcorrected and went back on it because of fan reaction I guess and made Twilight Princess... (I know they made ww sequels for the ds but still...)

>> No.8623971

>>8623903
It didn't help that a lot of the stuff that would've clarified split vs. single timelines were untranslated dev interviews. Like that Nintendo Dream interview from 2004 or so where Aonuma explains OoT's two endings. I mean, we did eventually get that interview translated but it was years after the fact.

>> No.8623980

>>8623817
>And the Minish Cap for not having a companion game and breaking the routine.

If I recall correctly Minish Cap was supposed to be like an origin to all of Zelda. But it also ties into Four Swords as well so maybe that was it's companion game? Also the Minish Cap guy did Skyward Sword too right he must have a thing for origin stories.

Idk the connections are really interesting to talk about and it kills me that people don't just talk about how the connects are interesting but try to hammer it into a big timeline instead.

>> No.8624348

>>8623903
My main memory of this is going back to when OoT came out and people were annoyed that it didn't quite match up with ALLTP. Even when ALLTP came out I remember articles having to explain that this was a different Link and Zelda to the first two games which is when this two game cycle started. But this is just hazy recollections of angry letters to magazines and Teletext complaining why "Zelda V" contradicted "Zelda III".

>> No.8625320
File: 1.50 MB, 2257x3101, 007.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>timelinefags

>> No.8625340

>>8623980
>If I recall correctly Minish Cap was supposed to be like an origin to all of Zelda.
Not all. In the intro you see a previous hero. It was pretty much the origin of Link's cap until Skyward Sword came along and fucked that up too

>> No.8625938

yeah they keep messing things up the more things continue. As mentioned in the thread they ended up with 3 sequels to OOT which gave us the shitty retcon of fallen hero timeline to explain their fuck up. OOT gave us the origin of Link's outfit which is the retconned since we have Minish Cap which gives us an origin to Link's hat. We have Adventure of LInk that gives us the origin of why all the princesses are named zelda and then Skyward Sword comes and fucks both Minish Cap and AoLs story.

>> No.8625957

>>8625340
There was a brief time where Minishing Cap was suppose to be one of the earliest games in the timeline, but yea Skyward Sword fucked everything up. And because of that game and a easy cashgrab they made the Zelda Hyrule Historia which was mostly an ad for SS.

>> No.8626214

>>8618979
Because they're right next to each other and he's pretending to be a good neighbor to trust?

>> No.8626329

>>8621694
It's amazing how right after the timeline was released, they try this origin bullshit with arguably the worst game in the series. Then immediately go into a game set over 9000 years into the future but somehow has references to this even more ancient story and more shit about the goddesses. I like the idea of them setting a game so far ahead it's removed from the timeline, but it's too late to regret the timeline

>> No.8626452
File: 389 KB, 454x538, rowdy.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8623063
>Fuck the awkward controls
>Zelda 1 is the only good Zelda

>> No.8626465

>>8623595
>I am still triggered that the "original" princess Zelda of AoL isn't even the original princess anymore.
In the Ocarina beta, OoT Zelda introduces herself as the 'first' princess of Hyrule, suggesting she's supposed to be Z2's Zelda, and it was supposed to take place even earlier in Hyrule's history

>> No.8626480
File: 94 KB, 300x300, aosq.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8623483

>Want to create a little art book showing off how the games are made behind the scenes
>The whole thing is generally an afterthought, but might be a fun little distraction while we work on the next game
>Zelda merch always sells well too
>Somebody recommends we call it a "history book". It's cute.
>Someone else says it might be a good idea to finally make an official timeline, and put the Americans who argue about it to rest
>Why the hell not? Let's slap something together with a disclaimer that it doesn't actually matter, and that we'll just keep making fun games regardless
>Surely explaining it like that will make people understand and stop worrying so much
>It was fun to make, came out a bit janky but whatever
>The fans latch onto the cheap artbook and treat it like the bible
>The arguments only get more heated
>mfw

>> No.8626515

>>8626480
Aonuma had been talking about them having an internal document that laid out how all the Zelda games were linked together for quite some time before the Hyrule Historia came out. Whether what is in that book is exactly what was in said document, was only loosely based on the document, or whether there's any relation at all or if such a document ever existed in the first place is anyone's guess.

>> No.8626534

>>8623424
Honestly it's a little infuriating how much nuance was lost in the official localization. Thanks for the link.
One point that was made in the video is that what TP refers to as the Sacred Realm is in fact Hyrule and that the magic users who instigated it were not outsiders, which makes sense, but doesn't it kind of imply that the war that erupted over the Triforce (and thus control of Hyrule) is the Hyrule Civil War that we have been lacking information about for years?

>> No.8626545

>>8626480
There's no way they weren't aware of what releasing an official timeline would do

>> No.8626563 [DELETED] 

>>8625340
>>8625957
It's really gross how understated it is that SS threw a giant fucking wrench into everything. It's when Nintendo started to take seriously the notion of having a definitive timeline, which introduced more problems than it solved. It also added absolutely retarded lore, especially the bit about Ganon basically coming into existence because one demon tribesman (demons already being a wtf addition) seethed so hard that it transcended death for some reason. Ganon was already lacking in character except for some slight additions in OoT and WW, but SS making him some ancient demon's manifestation of REEE for all time really deflated what little character he did have. They went on to make this even worse with BotW, and now I guess between the two, Ganon is just some law of reality that is destined to exist forever, because why not, shut up and buy the next game.

>> No.8626569

>>8625340
>>8625957
>>8625938
>>8626329
It's really gross how understated it is that SS threw a giant fucking wrench into everything. It's when Nintendo started to take seriously the notion of having a definitive timeline, which introduced more problems than it solved. It also added absolutely retarded lore, especially the bit about Ganon basically coming into existence because one demon tribesman (demons already being a wtf addition) seethed so hard that it transcended death for some reason. Ganon was already lacking in character except for some slight additions in OoT and WW, but SS making him some ancient demon's manifestation of REEE for all time really deflated what little character he did have. They went on to make this even worse with BotW, and now I guess between the two, Ganon is just some law of reality that is destined to exist forever, because why not, shut up and buy the next game.

>> No.8626571

>>8626545
I think it's been equally proven that the Japanese heads don't give much thought to non-Japanese audiences at all, outside of the entirety of Twilight Princess.

>> No.8626595

>>8626569
The worst part of it is BotW's motif gets boring fast. On a second playthrough I have more fun with the overworld challenges than the puzzles in the shrines. If they really wanted to be like LoZ then they would've had good dungeons in addition to good exploration, but instead it's left up to some motivated player to go through everything the world has to offer themselves
This is just my underdeveloped opinion though, I still don't know much only at 300 hours

>> No.8626623

>>8626569
>nd now I guess between the two, Ganon is just some law of reality that is destined to exist forever, because why not,
I can't get over how much I hate Demise and how it ruined Ganon. Going from a being that was too evil and too cunning to die to a destined force is such a huge step down. And what about Vaati and Malladus? Are they just manifestations of Demise's bitch fit?

>> No.8626629

>>8626595
This might be petty but I really turned on BOTW when I realized I couldn't get both full heart and stamina without DLC or glitches

>> No.8626642

I wish more people realized the 3 goddesses and Hylia were aliens. Aonuma has been adding Jomon architecture to the games since Wind Waker with Ganon'a Tower. And even the original LoZ was planned to have a Shakkoudogu enemy (cant find source and its bugging me) and the Triforce as a microchip. But then SS had robots mining time traveling ore used for the Ocarina of Time and they just straight up added all the Shekiah Jomon stuff including a robot Shakkoudogu in BotW.

Shakkoudogus were theorized to be ancient ayylmaos and it's all over Japanese pop culture. All the shit about coming from the heavens and sky = ayylmaos. I don't think they'll ever straight up say it though. Although I guess in BotW there was concept art for a straight up UFO. And maybe I'm wrong but it's my favourite part of Zelda lore.

Before BotW Twilight Princess Midna is literally a little gray man who invaded like an alien and her mask and the Twili stone stuff was similar to Jomon stuff too which I loved.

>Due in part to the enigmatic nature of the figurines, there have been numerous theories regarding their ornate appearance with some speculating that the physical appearance is connected to the suits and equipment of modern-day astronauts. One proponent in particular,Erich von Däniken, has written how thedogū(referred in the text as the "Japanese statue of Tokomai") "...has modern fastenings and eye apertures on its helmet",[13]an attribution made as part of the final chapter of his 1968 publicationChariots of the Gods?despite lacking any evidence for the claim.

>There are also disparities in the varieties ofdogū, with only a portion of the figures having the characteristic goggle-like eyes which are most cited byancient alientheorists.

>> No.8626645
File: 25 KB, 220x357, tumblr_1edacb79a69d4d261605725eb1ee500a_b1d1879e_250.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Oops dropped my ayylmao. And its driving me nuts that I dont have proof for the dogu in the Legend of Zelda. Miyamoto posted concept art for NES enemies on graph paper for the anniversary I think.

>> No.8626652
File: 64 KB, 400x283, zart1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8626645
Oh shit I found it he's in the center.

>> No.8626703

>>8626623
>>8626569

Demise origins were the victim if bad localization but I'm not trying to convince you it's not stupid or not. That guy I posted above did one for Demise too.

https://we.youtube.com/watch?v=S7DKEbLokCk

>> No.8626715

>>8626703
I don't care about Demise himself. He just made Ganon a weaker villain

>> No.8626719

>>8626703
I will watch this, the last one was good.

>> No.8626742

>>8614351
That's pretty bleak, but
>Zelda is fated to die
made me laugh because I read it as
>Zelda is farted to die

>> No.8626752
File: 2.00 MB, 2326x1696, BotW_Ancient_Oven_Concept_Art.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8626645
Uh oh

>> No.8626816

>>8626752
Not him, but I was gonna say, I fucking doubt the Shiekah came up with all that fancy tech on their own.

>> No.8626838

>>8626642
To add to your post, The Mysterious Murasame Castle was the sister game of Zelda 1 and used the same engine and multi screen framework, and that game's story is about discovering an alien is behind all the fuckery happening to the lands as well. Thought it was worth pointing out.

>> No.8626959

>>8626703
Well, I've watched both videos now and I'm actually floored. NOA and Treehouse, through censorship or ineptitude, have completely gutted a huge facet of this series for western audiences. I believe this Aaron guy because everything he's said makes a lot of sense, definitely more so than what I had been led to believe by the games before now; it makes the different stories way more consistent with one another and incorporates themes that are perfect fits for the franchise. I now need to re-examine several opinions I've formed about the series. It's outrageous, and I'm disappointed that the main wiki doesn't make more notes of information given in Japanese.

>> No.8627345
File: 122 KB, 800x600, tree_slash.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

explain this

>> No.8627367
File: 959 KB, 500x402, Nuclear_Marathoner_Cabackoff.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8626645
Dogū: the eternal Japanese alien inspiration

>> No.8627442

>>8626569
I really hate what they did with the monsters in BotW, they never really had much agency in the other games but reducing them to demons purely acting on Ganon's will strips them of what little character they actually had
It also doesn't help that they got rid of so much of the variety the series had when it came to enemy types and homogenized existing enemies to make them work with this direction, like Hinoxs becoming giant Blins rather than being their own thing, or Lizalfos being shoved into all kinds of climates when previously they were used for warm/volcanic locations exclusively due to being reptiles

>> No.8627614

>>8623980
The three Four Sword games are essentially their own timeline since the Light Force and Four Sword fully replace the Triforce and Master Sword in the lore and Ganon is given a totally-new origin.

>> No.8627617

>>8623657
Except by the final script revision of OoT, almost nothing connected to ALttP. The whole reason why the Downfall timeline exists is because OoT fucked up the lore with the Triforce and Ganondorf and they needed to reconcile it somehow. By all means, OoT was a soft reboot.

>> No.8627626

>>8626816
Isn't the official lore as of skyward sword that the first civilization of the world under Hylia's rule, was one of advanced technology?(would make sense being a deity of wisdom) I always assumed that was to explain all the old advanced tech found in dungeons n shit, just leftovers of that age and the Sheikah being the personal guard and servants of Hylia held on to bits of this holy knowledge and helped when building the guardian shit in Botw based on these old designs.

>> No.8627630

>>8627614
Isnt ganon in four sword adventure just a new reincarnation in a way link is who reclaims the same power as the original ganon or like another gerudu male who essentially gains the power of the triforce of power to become a new ganon?

>> No.8627660

>>8627345
It's a tree

>> No.8627665

>>8627617
>because OoT fucked up the lore with the Triforce and Ganondorf and they needed to reconcile it somehow.

How did they fuck up the lore? Honest question I haven't played the games in awhile and my memory is awful. All I know is the town names in 2 became the sages in OoT not that it means much.

>> No.8627729

>>8627665
In ALttP, Ganondorf captured the whole Triforce and got to wield its power without limit until he was sealed away, but the trade-off was that he was permanently transformed into the pig-beast Ganon. In OoT, Ganondorf's attempt to capture the Triforce caused it to split into three and divide its power between himself, Link, and Zelda. He tries to kill them for the other pieces by transforming into Ganon, but he fails and is returned to human form as he's sealed away with his piece of the Triforce. Downfall reconciles this by saying that Link and Zelda somehow failed in the final battle and Ganondorf took back the whole Triforce from them, leading in ALttP.

>> No.8628498

>>8627630
FSA Ganon is a whole new incarnation of Ganon who gains his power through the Magic Trident, and is sealed in the Four Sword like Vaati before him at the end. As far as we know, the Triforce or any of its pieces do not feature into this at all.

>> No.8628683

>>8626838
Shit I never knew that.

>> No.8628693
File: 74 KB, 500x450, 1628140765433.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8613532
Sadly OoT is an unfinished game. it's missing temples and they shuffled things around trying to stitch everything. The idea was that the MS opened a dimension to the Golden Land (Dark World) that we see in ALttP and Ganondorf stole the Triforce from there. The idea was that he transformed that land into the Dark World. But of course none of the games make sense connected but they were trying at the time.

>> No.8628751
File: 1.79 MB, 500x556, 1643081881288.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8623424
that's great. It's the same problem with Other M, while it's still bad, Samus wasn't the whine daddy girl she was in the ocident version.

>> No.8628819

>>8623424
>>8626703
>every monster in the series is actually a demon and not some creature that regularly exists in the game's universe
>even Keese are low level demons and not just bats
does this apply to every enemy? Are Like-Likes and Chus demons too?

>> No.8628820

>>8623950
The adult fairy dragons can be found in the leaked OoT beta Deku Tree. A guy restored everything. It's pretty interesting to find it there. Maybe it does have a connection. But originally Jabu Jabu was in Lake Hylian, he can be found there.

>> No.8628830
File: 1.09 MB, 1271x633, 1622536829589.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8626642
>UFO
Pretty sure Zelda 1 or 3 was about aliens. Breath of the Wild too, but they changed that.

>> No.8628839

>>8628830
>>8626642
I forgot to say, but in SS the goddess Hylia and Demise had something going on between then much before their fight and that whole imprisonment thing. Like the world does have an Olympus sort of place.

>> No.8628861

>>8628751
Ashei does not get enough love.

>> No.8628917

>>8626642
I mean the one cutscene in OoT shows them descending from the sky, they can be interpreted as astral energy beings or something that shaped the primal world.

>> No.8628948

>>8628693
>it's missing temples
It's got 8 temples. That's enough

>> No.8628971

why is he green tho

>> No.8629070

>>8628948
The problem is that, lorewise, things don't really connect. It's missing a few things which causes contradictions, that specifically happens in TWW.

>> No.8629086

>>8629070
Not him but can you elaborate on this? Sounds interesting.

>> No.8629106
File: 2.71 MB, 500x409, 1621340837715.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8629086
Since the devs glued together and reporposed a few dungeons things seems disconected. For example, the Shadow Temple was supposed to be the Wind Temple, the use of the medallions was changed a lot, missing their original purpose, which was to give you power. In OoT they do nothing, their power ups went to new items, like Nayru's love and Din's fire. I have a belief that the Gerudo Training Grounds were the begginig of the development of the Earth Temple.

We end up seeing both in TWW. we were supposed to visit Hyrule and age through the game but that was cut since they had to rush the development. So you end up with stuff like Kaepora Gaebora and bird statues in Shadow Temple and Zoras having evolved into Rito in TWW.

It's very clear that it things would have played very different if they had time to finish everything correctly.

>> No.8629646
File: 280 KB, 700x1008, 06.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8629106
>Shadow Temple was supposed to be the Wind Temple
do you have a source for this besides the temple featuring wind fans?
>Zoras having evolved into Rito in TWW
the Rito only became a thing after Aonuma saw the OC bird race in the Ocarina manga

>> No.8630091

>>8629646
Idk what happened but bird races were in Zelda 2 and the LttP Shotaro Ishinomi manga too.

>> No.8630097

>>8628971
Because Peter Pan, this was in the NES game too. OoT Kokiri not aging and being paired with a fairy (Tinkerbell) was Peter Pan too.

>> No.8630537
File: 110 KB, 278x984, 1637944096575.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8629646
There are wind arrows actors in the game, also the Forest Medallion object name is based on wind, the same goes for the Water Temple, which is based on ice. There's also a beta rom featuring all the beta stuff, it was based on that Nintendo Leak, which confirmed a lot of the stuff changed throughout the game.

The current understanding is that the Ice Cavern used to be the Ice Temple and the Bottom of the Well used to be the Shadow Temple.

I remember reading in a interview that Aonume started to redesign the dungeons, that's how we got the Forest and the Water temples. The forest doesn't fit the element theme at all.

Specially when you consider that video that talks about the mistranslations about Zelda lore. Had it been translated correctly, Light, Shadow, Ice and Fire elements would have made a lot of sense.

When Myiamoto got into the development he wanted a child Link, so they created the Temple of Time, which used to be the Light Temple.

I have a belief that parts of it went into the Spirit Temple, that's why we get two items in that temple. The mirror part of it was the partially the Light Temple.

Light <> Shadow (light)
Ice <> Fire (termodynamics)
Wind <> Earth (state of matter)
Spirit (the balance of every element)

That's probably what they had in mind in the beginning because that's basically how basically every element magic system works.

Forest is not really an element. I wish that the Forest Temple was actually a challenge for the Master Sword.

>> No.8631106

>>8626816
No shit. The Sheikah got all of their advanced tech from the Chozo.
Both races study the position of the stars to divine the future and the secrets of the universe.

>> No.8631114

>>8628820
Did the data from the beta actually have instances of the fairy dragons in it already? Or did the team who made those areas explorable put them there?

>> No.8631834

>>8631114
I believe that the maps had the data, and the devs just filled the data with the final release enemy models.

The beta stuff is great, I recommend it a lot. Pretty much all the mysteries are solved. As far as I know they don't have the original models for the enemies though, there are a lot of the original NPC models though. The Sacred Meadow was actually a meadow and was a really big area.

They kind of diminished the scope of the whole thing. The game, somewhat, used to feel more like BotW with the bigger maps.

The original URA Zelda was reconstructed like this too. They are pretty great projects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMs8aB5F_-Y

>> No.8631857

I've never played a Zelda game before, but this thread has me interested. Is OoT the best one to start with, and what version is generally the best of that?

>> No.8631869

>>8631857
OoT looks great with a CRT.

I really like how TP looks, but the game is really, really linear, it's not like OoT is much different, but at least you can maintain an illusion.

So it's ALttP or OoT. OoT will look off without a CRT or a good shader. The 3DS version is too colorful.

>> No.8632023

>>8631857
I would try ALttP (SNES version) first, as it's really the game that began a lot of the tropes seen in later titles in the series, is very straightforward, and doesn't hold your hand too much without being cryptic. There's a good amount of optional stuff to do and obtain as well. If you like it, move on to Link's Awakening (GBC version, some people swear by the GB original but it doesn't much matter), then version 1.0 of OoT on N64 (haven't tried the 3DS remaster, so I can't vouch for it - I'd try it only if you can't stomach the N64 original's 20 FPS framerate). After that, if you become hooked, you can go and revisit the original two on the NES, though they are quite challenging in their own ways.

>> No.8632027

>>8613532
It's a game for children. It's really uninteresting.

>> No.8632070

>>8631857
Best is subjective. Do you prefer 2D games? A Link to the Past has aged magnificently and is a great place to start.
If you like 3D then OoT is also fantastic but unless you play with an original controller then the controls won't make much sense. If you can play it the remake is probably the better choice gameplay wise, but the original wins for its more atmospheric, less cartoony presentation, so pick your poison.
Twilight Princess is also an option, provided you can get past the long, dull opening and melodramatic tone.

>> No.8632094
File: 64 KB, 200x200, laughingchairman.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8614196

>> No.8632117
File: 1.78 MB, 3772x2700, 1589987795350.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.8632207

>>8631869
>>8632023
>>8632070

I prefer 3D games, so I guess I'll start with OoT. How is the Gamecube version? I already have Dolphin so that's easy to start

>> No.8632234

>>8632207
If you're going to emulate anyway, may as well do so on an actual N64 emulator. There's no benefit to emulating the GC version, in fact it's worse since that version was already running on an emulator to begin with, so you'd be emulating an emulator (and an imperfect one at that since it's missing some effects, though it was good for its time). Get version 1.0 of the game, download RMG (it's the Mupen64Plus emulator plus an easy-to-use interface), and have fun.

>> No.8632469

>>8632207
>>8632234
I'd recommend using the Wii's Virtual Console version as opposed to emulating N64. It's more accurate than most N64 emulators, and I THINK it doesn't have the missing effects issue that the GC version does.

>> No.8632478

>>8632469
Bruh, it's not 2012 anymore. N64 emulators have come a long way, and emulate just about everything without issues, so long as you're not using outdated shit.

>> No.8632482

>>8632478
I don't ask this confrontationally, but can you substantiate this statement? I've always heard that N64 has been notoriously difficult to accurately emulate, and that the VC releases were the best for the games that got one.

>> No.8632517

>>8632482
>I've always heard that N64 has been notoriously difficult to accurately emulate, and that the VC releases were the best for the games that got one.

That was partially true years ago (though in reality, the only titles that really were fucked on N64 emulators but not on VC were Pokemon Snap and Mario Tennis - the rest were largely fine), but not anymore. Both Project64 and Mupen64Plus have fixed most of their core issues and can now boot and play every game in the library, and on the plugin front, we now have GLideN64 and ParaLLEl-RDP, which are very accurate (in ParaLLEl's case, extremely so). The only big remaining issues are related to timings and only affect a relative handful of games: for instance, Body Harvest's intro plays too fast, and DK64 doesn't lag as much as it should, which makes it impossible to execute some glitches (this is an issue in the WiiU release as well). Even so, both these games are still fully playable and beatable.

>> No.8632567

>>8632117
What made that slash? A lot of kids probably saw this and thought there would be werewolves and shit later in the game.

>> No.8632568

>>8632482
Now that we have ParaLLEl-RDP, the only issue left is that some games don't have the slowdowns they have on real hardware.

>> No.8632572

>>8632517
>>8632568
Interesting, that's great to hear. Thank you.

>> No.8633562

Bump this quality thread.

>> No.8634483
File: 155 KB, 1200x800, eyerealzelda.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

deep lore

>> No.8634852

>>8613532
The lost timeline.

>> No.8635101

>>8631869
Ocarina of Time's second half is almost completely non-linear. Every dungeon in TP has to be done in a fixed order.

>> No.8635160

>>8634483
Who built the Beamos statues?

>> No.8635248

>>8635101
Technically you can sequence break or even outright skip some of them through glitches, much like in OoT.

>> No.8635265

>>8619062
It was a part of his tax policy.

>> No.8636837

>>8635101
You need the bow, so you need to go through Forest Temple first.

Then you can choose between the Water and Fire.

You need to beat 3 dungeons to open Shadow Temple.

I believe you can beat Spirit first.

I wish these games were 100% open, there's nothing stopping it. So you can only choose 3 dungeons out of 5.

>> No.8637031

>>8636837
If you play by the game's intended rules and progression, yes. With glitches, however, it is possible to finish every dungeon out of order. It's even possible to do them in backwards order i.e. from the Spirit Temple down to the Deku Tree, if you are so inclined.

Just saying, it IS possible, even if it requires abusing unintended exploits.

>> No.8637124
File: 11 KB, 379x451, 1615592536378.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8614196
Legitimately funny, actually laughed. Thanks, anon.

>> No.8637149

>>8632117
The image is pure unadulterated autism, the person who made it should be institutionalized.

>> No.8637205
File: 99 KB, 700x831, LINK WHERE IS THE MOTHERFUCKING LAMB SAUCE.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8626959
The main wiki (I presume you mean the "NIWA"/GAMEPEDIA/WIKIA/FANDOM one) has proven to be a shitshow that's probably beyond saving anytime soon, but at least there's been attempts to form alternatives from scratch, unlike some series with no good wiki.

>> No.8637221

>>8636837
>I believe you can beat Spirit first.
only in vanilla maybe? i think master quest needs the hover boots for some shit in the spirit temple

>> No.8637237

>>8637221
Yeah, I was under this impression too. There's one place that you need the hover boots, but I can't remember if you got a key there or not.

>> No.8637262

>>8630537
>forest is not really an element

You're thinking of it the wrong way. It's the element of wood which is an oriental thing. Plant life js basically considered to be an elemental force over there

Also, the 3 child dungeons are supposed to be a trio with the same logic as starter types in Pokémon. Red, green, blue. Fire, plant, water.

>> No.8637932

>>8637205
Yes, Zelda Wiki, the blue Wikia/Fandom one. It was my go-to years ago, it seemed to have the most information and the best layout, but now I'm noticing that the information there isn't really anything special, and the layout sucks on every Wikia wiki since they converted to Fandom.
I know there are multiple wikis, but I'm not sure about how good the rest are. Zeldapedia is another Fandom wiki, but it looks from a quick glance that they do note more information from Japanese scripts, etc., so maybe that's where I'll go to for now. Zelda Dungeon Wiki has a nice layout, but seems like it's geared towards being a guide for the games and only containing some basic encyclopedic info.

>> No.8638059
File: 140 KB, 935x561, try untangling this mess.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8637932
Wikia's Zeldapedia is dead since there wasn't a point in FANDOM maintaining two Zelda wikis after buying out Gamepedia. If you notice, it's still up as an archive for historical purposes, but there's no more activity. Zelda Dungeon is good for walkthroughs and fan stuff but that's not everyone's style. Triforce Wiki is the one with the most promise and doesn't fuck around, but it's very young and small right now. That'd be the one to keep an eye on as it grows. (There was another but I forgot the name and I think it fell by the wayside.) Funnily enough, Triforce Wiki briefly took the form of a forked/revived Zeldapedia under the supervision of the Mario Wiki owner, which I guess was technically possible, but the Gamepedia admins felt threatened and pressured them out of it.

>> No.8638091

>>8638059
Interesting. I can definitely tell Triforce Wiki is new; it's got lots of missing articles and some questionable formatting choices. I hope the admin faggotry doesn't get in the way of it becoming better. It's kind of insane to me that a franchise as big as Zelda doesn't have a more reliable wiki that's got people able to sort out the localization fuckery.

>> No.8638164

>>8637262
I see, I've thought about it before. What's the relationship between forest, plant and water in elements?

>> No.8638732
File: 298 KB, 1438x1066, beamos_statue.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8635160
idk, but the gerudos have the king beamos in thier training ground. so maybe they built them

>> No.8639648

>>8638164
Fire burns plant, absorbs water, puts out Fire. Red green blue. Volcano forest ocean. It just works well

>> No.8640091

>>8636837
You actually don't need the Bow to complete the Fire Temple and you bypass the Water Temple's arrow switch with some key saving shenanigans I'm pretty sure.

>> No.8640256

>>8639648
Yeah, It makes sense.

>>8640091
I think that OoT would have been a much better game if they let you buy the weapons, but they would be much weaker than the temples version.

>> No.8640270

>>8638732
Those are clearly Sheikah statues

>> No.8640334

>>8636837
Fire can be done before Forest and Spirit requires some stuff from Water but only needs the Hammer for an optional shortcut, so if you wanted to you could go Forest -> Water -> Spirit -> Fire -> Shadow or Fire -> Forest -> Water -> Shadow -> Spirit

>> No.8640520

>>8640256
I wouldn't disagree there, but I think Ocarina of Time's non-linearity is still really strong and better than it gets credit for. If nothing else, it's very fun to think up ways to sequence break the backhalf.

>>8640334
I love saving Spirit for last, but doing it third means you can play around with the Ice Arrows for two whole dungeons. Bongo Bongo is even weak against it, so there's actual incentive to break the order.

>> No.8641187

>>8640520
Volvagia is also weak to it

>> No.8641365

>>8640520
>>8641187

Considering that the Ice Arrows was supposed to be combined with the Ice Medallion it makes sense for the bosses to be programmed like that.

>> No.8641415

>>8639648
Just ask Pokemon.

>> No.8641568

>>8640270
I actually never realized that, but it makes sense with the three marks above the eye.

>> No.8643870

>>8641187
volvagina is the direct JP translation