[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 85 KB, 640x641, dragon_warrior_monsters_p_ufqcgu.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8538795 No.8538795 [Reply] [Original]

Thoughts on Dragon Warrior Monsters?

>> No.8538801

>>8538795
Not made by Spike/Chun so it's probably good.

>> No.8538829

Addicting as hell
You THINK you NEED this perfect team of perfect monsters until 30 hours in when you're grinding for that team you realize you can work on another team with what you've been catching

And that's how these games stay fun, you are just neverending playing the game

>> No.8538838

It's great

>> No.8538936

>>8538829
>You THINK you NEED this perfect team of perfect monsters until 30 hours in when you're grinding for that team you realize you can work on another team with what you've been catching
What do you mean?

>> No.8539184

>>8538795
Literally my favorite game of all time. I’ve replayed it and the sequel like 10 times each

>> No.8539213

the first one is the best. its so comfy to grind in the procedurally generated dungeons then go off to test them out at the arena. also the hub world gimmick was hella cool. also had great fucking music as to be expected from dq series (cept for 11. 11 had such shit music)

>> No.8539223

>>8538936
i think he means you grind but you realize that u dont have to and just work your way through the plot battles with freshly caught monsters. hows this hard to understand

>> No.8539408

I like to build a based team and then breed back to get my original team of Anteater, Drackee, and Healer but with endgame abilities. I even give them the same names

>> No.8539495

>>8538795
Absolutely amazing, the best GB/GBC game, and potentially the best DW/DQ game
>>8539184
Very based

>> No.8539674

Every monster has a set amount of exp to level them up, which is noted by the amount it takes to level up to level 2 after they hatch from the egg. 2 exp means super easy to level up but with very little stat bonuses per level (except INT for Pheonix/Blizzardy). 5 exp is still a fats leveler but not as weak. 10 exp is pretty standard. 50 and 100 exp takes forever and is why the ??? Boss monsters are garbage due to the effort required to grind them up to max level. This game gets wayyy too easy when you realize that Grizzly is the easiest physical attacker to level up and Pheonix/Blizzardy the easiest INT user to level up. Both of which are trivially easy to obtain by mid-game. Once you have them, just keep rebreeding them with monsters from the same family so your new monsters are the same species with higher + plus levels on them. And make sure to get a monster with map magic, and to never breed the original slime you are given because he has mega magic, the strongest spell thats otherwise difficult to get.

>> No.8539754

great pokemon clone with tons of Dragon Quest references, great music, all around amazing game. How was number 2? I tried to play the DS DQM game but didn't get into that one.

>> No.8539761

>>8539754
>pokemon clone
Kill yourself you fucking braindead retard

>> No.8539880

>>8538795
The random generated dungeons bored me to dead also the int for the spells mechanic is stupid, but gotta say that if you have a guide with each monster ups and downs the game becomes good.
The breeding is better than anything Pokemon ever did.

>> No.8539961
File: 65 KB, 640x640, s-l640.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The second one is really good also, but there is a special charm about the first one that's unmatched. They make references to the first game in the second as well. Joker games are trash

Definitive edition of this series is the jap psx version.

>> No.8541391

>>8539213
I like the concept of II more, it feels like a real Dragon Quest game with all the different towns, overworlds, and dungeons, but it's the least fun to replay. The first game can be replayed almost infinitely. There's something to be said about a game that just sticks to its formula and does it well.

>> No.8541963

>>8539223
>i think he means you grind but you realize that u dont have to and just work your way through the plot battles with freshly caught monsters. hows this hard to understand
It's just different than my playthrough is all. It's been a long while since I did play it but I remember spending more time breeding to make my team.

>> No.8542005

>>8539223
Did you even play the game? Freshly caught monsters are always weaker and have less abilities than even the weakest monsters that have been bred just once.

Wild monsters have 3 skills. A bred monster will have its 3 innate skills, plus all the inherited skills of its mother and father, and a quarter of their combined stats.

You don't even have to grind either, just raise them to a high enough level that they can breed, which just takes one dungeon run.

>> No.8542008

>>8539961
What makes the joker games trash?

>> No.8542026

>>8538829
I played a VIPRPG clone of DQM with much harder post-game dungeons and bosses, and holy shit is that ever the truth. Trying to put together the perfect team is the best part. Takes an 8 hour game and immediately doubles that, at the bare minimum.

>> No.8542258

>>8542026
Well now I need a link to whatever you're talking about because I want in

>> No.8543758

>>8542258
I TL'd it last month but never released it on /vrpg/ because I had just put out a TL of a different VIPRPG right at the end of their latest game jam and didn't want it to overshadow the jam releases. Let me put together my bigass footnotes/VIPRPG glossary for this game and I'll post it here sometime later today, if this thread is still up.
Now, if you can into moonrunes, just google もしもンクエストモンスターズ

>> No.8545672

>>8542008
They're not trash. The Joker games are great too.

>> No.8545954

>>8542005
>plus all the inherited skills of its mother and father
So if you breed two bred monsters, you get double the skills?

>> No.8546116

>>8538795
My friends played it and loved it when we were kids. I never got around to it, but I’ll probably give it a go eventually

>> No.8546156

>>8545954
A monster can only learn 8 skills at a time, so you would have to decide which skills the monster will keep, but theoretically, yes, if you had two bred monsters each with 8 skills, the new monster would have the potential of learning 16 skills + its 3 inherent skills (if they don't overlap with the 16 skills from its parents).

However, if the potential is never reached, and the monster is bred, the newborn baby will only inherit the skills the parents had unlocked. So if monster A had some skill that the baby would only unlock at a high level, and you bred Monster C before it reached that high level and learned the skill, that skill would never be passed on to monster D.

The exception to this is upgraded skills. If you never unlocked the highest form of the heal spell, the baby monster would still get the weakest form of it and would eventually upgrade to it if its stats were the right point for it.

Gotta remember that some skills are unlocked by reaching the right INT stat and other skills are unlocked by having 2 or 3 other skills unlocked.

>> No.8546235

crappy pokemon ripoff but it had really nice music

>> No.8546343

>>8546156
Sounds pretty complicated, I don't think I knew any of this when I played it

>> No.8546352

>>8546235
It's not a Pokémon rip off. DQ had monster recruiting before the first Pokémon game was even designed. It's a spin off of one of its own mechanics.

>> No.8546607

the box art is ugly so it's probably bad

>> No.8546663
File: 88 KB, 334x384, 46705--dragon-quest-monsters-terry-no-wonderland.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8546607
Western Dragon Quest art is always ugly