[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 18 KB, 425x234, Final_Fantasy_IV.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8535768 No.8535768 [Reply] [Original]

Going to play FF IV for the first time. I've heard the American SNES release ("FF II") is a toned down version of the original. Should I find a translation of the original, play the ps1, or the psp version with The After Years?

>> No.8535771

You want to find Final Fantasy IV Namingway Edition.

>> No.8535796

>>8535768
The American SNES removes a bunch of shit. Not just things in the script, but items, enemies, and spells for some reason.
The fan translations of the SNES version are add stupid shit like pop culture references, swearing, sex jokes, etc.
The PS1 version is finally a proper translation of the Japanese SNES version, but has load times.
GBA version has touched up graphics but bad sound.
PSP has all new graphics. After Years sucks.

Play either of the PS1 or PSP version depending on which graphics you like.

>> No.8535804

Play PS1 version on an emulator so you can turbo mode through the load times

>> No.8535812

I only played V on PS1 but the load times really weren't that bad. I can't imagine IV's are any worse. Nothing on the level of the Chrono Trigger port

>> No.8535861

very little known fact: the PAL version of the PS1 port has no load times. considering its CD redbook audio so isn't slowed down and its turn based so you can't really notice the 50hz I'd say its the closest possible version to the Japanese sufami version.

>> No.8535896

>>8535768
There's also the 3D version which I think has its own unique balancing, but the art style isn't for everyone. PSP is probably the safest bet all around though

>> No.8536508

>>8535796
sounds like the PS1 version is superior.

>> No.8536594

>>8535768
Get PAL PS1 or PSP, psp has the option to use the original soundtrack. Good fucking shit in that one.

>> No.8536793

>>8535768

The removals aren't that big a deal, but they are bad enough that you should avoid them, yes. It's not like with the FF1 bugs that only one player in a million will actually notice. FF4's removals will make combat slightly less interesting for EVERY player. It's really stupid and annoying that the retarded developers decided to make that change. It's just an insane change.

>> No.8537115

>>8536793
prease understand
americans dumb
game too complex?
no sell!
make shareholder very angry

>> No.8537183

>>8535768
Go with >>8535771 or a similar rom hack for the SNES that translates the Japanese version if you want to be close to the original. They removed enough in the US version to be annoying. It’s very dumbed down.
I prefer the PSP version personally on an emulator. it just depends on whether you are happy with going with a remake. What is added is right at the end so it won’t make any difference to you.