[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 20 KB, 320x200, powersl_screen001.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
852672 No.852672 [Reply] [Original]

90's FPS general. Talk about your favourites, lesser known titles and gems. Just keep Doom in the Doom general thread.

I've recently gotten into Powerslave aka Exhumed, on PC. Not to misunderstood with the PSX and Saturn versions which are a whole different game with the same assets (I've heard it's like Metroid Prime before Metroid Prime but I haven't played it yet so I can't tell).

Anyway, at first Powerslave feels sloppy. The controls feel dated because, unlike say Doom, Duke3D or most other FPS of the time, if you play them with WASD controls they rock even more; but that's not the case with Powerslave. Playing with default or WASD controls hardly make a difference due to how strafing works : when strafing you can't go in diagonal and also strafing slows you down a lot. Also there is no auto-run button.

The shooting itself is only okay. There is a definite lack of variety both in terms of weapons at your disposal and in terms of enemies too. Enemies patterns are very simple too.
However gameplay is still somehow intense because you can't save within levels, instead there is a console-game-like system with checkpoints and lives. So, dying is actually more a threat than with save systems. You can use powerful and useful items to help you.

However that's in terms of level design that the game shines and becomes a gem. Sure, architecture is rather simple and it's not very varied and there is plenty of misaligned textures; but what makes this game stand-out is the levels layout. You know the type of unrealistic maze-like level design so characterisc of FPS of the early 90's ? Well, Powerslave is at AT ITS FINEST. I keep getting more and more blown away by the smart level layouts level after level; plus it makes use of plenty of Build engine effects and the levels re-shape as you're playing. If you like this kind of level layout this game is a must play.

>> No.852674

I used to love this game on the Saturn. So much that I managed to finish the game in one sitting at one point. I might have to hunt the PC version down if it's that different.

>> No.852739

>>852672
>like Metroid Prime before Metroid Prime
Care to explain?

>> No.852745

>>852739
I heard it's more like a first person adventure game with shooting elements. I've also heard that level design is a hub system where you gotta find items and backtrack to reach new areas (like finding special boots, backtracking and using them to be able to walk on lava and reach a new zone, etc)

but again i've never played it much

>> No.852925
File: 31 KB, 640x480, The Terminator - Future Shock12.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

No love for Powerslave? Get some Terminator Future Shock then

>> No.852945

Blood. Always Blood.

>> No.852990

>>852672
Well on the subject of nonsensical levels, I've been giving ROTT a fair playthrough on hardest with no cheats as Lorelei, the opposite of how I used to. It's hard, and at times annoying when you're stuck to bullets and enemies have too much health. But it's fun to blow enemies away with the missile weapons, and I like how the levels are designed with unusual obstacles, they're also fun and challenging.

>> No.852996

I played Power Slave on SAT. Not a bad game for a 5th gen console fps

>> No.853019
File: 120 KB, 636x482, pls no.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Fucking Blood.
My favourite 90s FPS followed closely by Hexen. Everything about the game just seems perfect. From the level design, to the weapons, to the gunplay, enemies, atmosphere and references.

Everything has already been said about this game. Beat episode 1 a few days ago, now replaying episode 2, fuck these guys

>> No.853175

I hope you Blood fans have played Cryptic Passage, the official add-on by the genius guys who also did the best add-on for Duke3D (Caribbean Life)

and if you still can't get enough Blood, check those 2 mods
http://www.moddb.com/mods/death-wish-for-blood
http://www.moddb.com/mods/ratm
stay the fuck away from "Bloody Pulp Fiction" though

>> No.853205

>>852925
That game just has no charm about it. It feels like a bad mod some fan made.

>> No.853349

I just played more Powerslave and I still love the level layout in every level so far. Weapons and monsters are getting more varied so I take that back, however the same musics are starting to play in new levels.

>> No.853397
File: 510 KB, 1920x1200, 1370924928121.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>853019
Mah nigger

>> No.853469
File: 405 KB, 917x636, 1310602564026.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Quake 1.
It's like Doom, only scary.

>> No.855863

>>852672
Since it is relevant, I am posting it!
http://thepiratebay.sx/torrent/8557820

This is the first person shooter compilation torrent. I am currently working on an update, which includes both the PSX version and a new DOS version of Powerslave/Exhumed(BECAUSE THE ONE I INCLUDED DID NOT INCLUDE MUSIC), a hefty portion of Amiga shooters, and a few other Build engine games such as WW2 GI, and NAM. Currently seeking the game Extreme Paintbrawl and any new titles I may have missed to be included in the next update, and hopefully some full versions of included demos in the torrent. Probably going to be mainly an RPG first person torrent though(however I haven''t compiled a list of names for this yet), because I cannot think of too many more FPS games to fill up the size I want the torrent to be, and also because I already included a few RPGs in the previous torrent so I have to make one for it!

May even create a torrent for early (1996 - 2002) three dimensional shooters such as Quake and Unreal, but no guarantees.

>> No.856225

>>855863
heh cool, I wanted to buy powerslave but it wasn't nowhever to be bought, and I had to download it from some random site UG is down and i couldn't find a torrent of it anywhere

>> No.856296

>>853469
Note that it's not scary unless you play on at least Hard difficulty and you don't save mid-level.

>> No.856319

>>853397
Blood works on skulltag right? I reinstalled my OS and haven't messed with any of that jazz for a while, but getting back into Blood and Hexen would be worth it.

Also is the sequel to Blood any good.

>> No.856350

>>856319
blood doesn't have any sourceport. you'll have to use dosbox

some russians are re-creating it in eduke32 (duke3D's sourceport) but it's unfinished and it's a recreation so far from 100% perfect to the original

>> No.856479
File: 244 KB, 800x480, eduke32.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Hail to the king, baby.

>> No.856494

Anyone else enjoy the cheesy shooters, like Kens Labyrinth and Nightmare 3D?

>> No.856502

I LOVE POWERSLAVE/EXHUMED!

one of the best console shooters back then!

great soundtrack, great weapons and great atmosphere!

>> No.856527

inb4 Rip and Tear

>> No.856529
File: 311 KB, 1919x1078, bad toys 3D.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>not this.

>> No.856536
File: 97 KB, 1417x1417, heretic_cdobal.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

fucking Heretic up this bitch

still my favorite retro shooter

>> No.856779

>>856536
I preferred Heretic over Hexen. Fucking centaurs.

>> No.856915

>>856529
OH MY GOD I WAS GONNA POST THAT IN THE I CAN'T REMEMBER THAT GAME'S NAME THREAD HOLY SHIT I LOVE YOU

>> No.857285

>>853469
It is easy on nightmare

>> No.857819

>>853349
I love Powerslave too. I wish there was a modification to make strafing more useful, but it is still a fun game. The actual strafe button is 'kind of' useful, because you strafe at full speeds, but cannot turn while you are strafing (so when assigned to capslock it doesn't work as you would like it to). This is just one of those games that are better off without a mouse as well, as it turns and strafes much more smoothly on the keyboard. I find it is best to reconfigure the games controls so that "A" and "D" turn instead of strafe, and reconfigure strafe to "shift"(because when you strafe, is uses the turn keys). I hear the Playstation and Saturn versions are the best, I hope to be able to enjoy those soon.

>>856319
>sequel to Blood any good.
Not in the way you love Blood, no. I won't say if it is a good or a bad game, because to each their own, but it definitely could have been better. The levels are boring and linear, the weapons weren't too interesting or satisfying, everything is slow, and the AI wasn't too impressive either.

For OP's post, my favorite obscure shooters would have to be Rebel Moon, Quiver, Eradicator, CyberMage, and CyClones. I have played a good amount of games, but these are the ones that stuck. I hope I get the time to complete them.

>> No.857853

>>856536
Definitely my favorite game of all time. The medieval to mythical setting, the pleasing weapons, the music, the clever and tricky level designs, the enemy variation, and so many other things that just make it difficult not to love. I wish Heretic 2 was a first person shooter as well, but I am sure it is still a pretty good game.

>> No.857870

>>852672

Thanks for reminding me of Powerslave. Tried the PS1 version and it's pretty fun (unlike the PC version, indeed a whole different game. The intro and graphics alone so far).

>> No.858043

>>857870
What's wrong with the PC version? I'm almost at the end now and I love the game a bit more each new level!

>> No.858049
File: 23 KB, 641x401, ipog.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>no sourceport
>graphics, music, and sounds all easily obtained from the game data
If I had a little more experience and talent and possibly someone to do maps, I would totally make a ZDoom TC, even if it's just so it can be played without using DOSBox.

>> No.858050

>>858043
Not him, but it might have something to do with the strafing and a different game engine. It looks more entertaining from the videos as well.

>> No.858060

>>858050
Again, I think the one thing that makes Powerslave so good to me is the levels layout. Each one is very inspired and dynamic. It's discovering the levels and figuring them out that's interesting, which I doubt is something you can feel through videos.

You also have to keep believing because it just keeps getting better even if it's doesn't seem that good at first.

>> No.858065

>>858049
Had such a great soundtrack and fun gameplay. It was interesting in its character selection, with different weapons for each. Great game.

>> No.858081

I've recently got back into Half Life, and Opposing Force (my favourite FPS), and I'm wondering, are there any /vr/ FPS similar to Half Life? I know it was one of a kind, but I'm sort of looking for the sort of environment/atmosphere it had, and how it was all one big area linked by loading screens.

Anything like that, or am I looking at games after 2000 for this?

>> No.858085

>>858060
Well, improved gameplay along with swell level layout is better than mediocre gameplay with swell level layout. It also has different levels on the console version, with better graphics and is supposedly more action focused. Again, I don't know too much about how the PSX version plays, but I have played a few levels on the DOS version, and the only complaint I have is the clunky combat.

>> No.858087
File: 36 KB, 320x200, descent1.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Just gonna leave this here.

>> No.858093

>>858081
Not likely. Remember that prior to Half-Life, FPS games generally copied Doom's formula. The closest you might get is Strife.

I'm of the opinion that Half-Life is why FPS games went to shit. It might not be a bad game itself, but it was the beginning of the "cinematic" bullshit that ruined the genre.

>> No.858116

>>853205
No.

The game also has epic giant maps.

>> No.858129

>>858081
It's been too long since I've played it but I think Marathon had a similar level structure, the setpieces are pretty different though.

>> No.858134

>>858081
System Shock 2, and Deus Ex I hear are similar and run well.

>>858087
Descent and its sequels are amazing. An early pioneer of textured fully three dimensional first person shooters with '6 degrees of freedom', which truly made it a unique game. I wish a new game would be released soon!

>>858093
Pretty much this. The game was good, but it inspired over a decade of undesired titles (at least to me). I remember when I first played Half Life, I was extremely bored and wasn't sure what was going on because I wasn't used to the in-game cinematic. It took me a few years later to finally try the game again, because the "forced to stop moving" didn't appeal to me then (and still didn't).

>> No.858137
File: 129 KB, 1080x1080, Descent_Maximum_-_1997_-_Interplay_Productions.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>858087
More like pic related.

>> No.858257

>>858081

Deus Ex is not one big area. But yea, also System Shock 1.

>> No.858308

>>857819
>my favorite obscure shooters would have to be Rebel Moon, Quiver, Eradicator, CyberMage, and CyClones.

Never heard of any of those. I'll check them out thanks

>>858093
>I'm of the opinion that Half-Life is why FPS games went to shit. It might not be a bad game itself, but it was the beginning of the "cinematic" bullshit that ruined the genre.

Totally agree. Don't get me wrong, HL1 is a great game, when it came out I was on a holiday, all I did was play it during 3 days until I beat it. It took me that long because each loading time would take 5 minutes (even quicksaves) and also because I lost a lot of progress when quicksavescumming and fucked myself in a part where I had 3hp left and you have to fall down a ledge which takes you 5hp so I had to start over. After beating it I played it again from start on a higher difficulty. It was that good.

I especially like the first act of the game (up until you reach the surface and meet the first grunts) because of how survival horror-ish it is.

But it's true that it shifted the genre completly. When it came out, everybody praised it for 3 things : realism, artificial intelligence of the human enemies, and story with "CUTSCENES DURING WHICH YOU CAN MOVE HOLY SHIT". That's when nobody started to care about music, smart unrealistic level design (which is all I love about Powerslave) and monsters to shoot with cool weapons.

and even though it still had incredibly fun deathmatch, it also spawned counter strike and make team fortress more popular.

And now I miss the pre-HL1 era. At least it set WASD+mouse controls as standars (even though it was far from the first to use them) and that's something we still haven't looked back on and which I even use for pre-HL1 fps.

>> No.858327

Anyone else not really a fan of DOOM but still a fan of other 90 FPS like it? Duke and Blood are awesome, but DOOM feels too Plain Jane

>> No.859381

>>858081
While it had 'more' intricate hub world, half life doesn't play too differently from it's base, Quake gameplay wise more or less jump puzzles and make to the end gameplay, though half life has broken AI and worse hit detection. Half Life has 'hubbish' design but isn't really meant to be played like a hub world so much. Quake 2 integrates hub like play where you have to come back and fourth a bit.
Strife is hub like, but plays more like doom than half life or quake.
Some people have said Deus Ex, but deus ex isn't even remotely like half life in any respect other than mouths move when people speak and terrible AI for other reasons. But it's not hubbish and the gameplay isn't even remotely similar. System Shock/2 is hub like they don't really play like half life though but they a bit less inept at combat and stealth than Deus Ex.

>> No.859383

>>859381
Also deus isn't /vr/ anyway.

>> No.859412

>>858327
I'm all about gameplay so I definitely like doom, however blood has poor design all around so I dislike it more than most early shooters. Doom doesn't do too much stretching with weapons but everything it does more or less was done very well. It's not trying to sell you on only novelty and dozens of hamfisted references.

>> No.859562

Whoa is powerslave a maiden reference?

>> No.859580

Goldeneye and Perfect Dark.
I have fond memories of my parent's friend's kids popping in and we'd go four player, my step dad being drunk and player 1 every time. In Goldeneye he'd kick everyone's ass including mine leaving me at 2nd place with a forth of his score. In Perfect Dark I'd manage a first or second place finish with his scores not too far behind.

It just got more hilarious to me after CODfags started showing up on occasion. They'd be getting one fourth of my score and not even manage a tenth of my step dad's score.

>> No.859601
File: 31 KB, 220x294, wang.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

penispenispenispenispenispenispenis

>> No.859608
File: 18 KB, 320x200, Isle Of The Dead_3.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

was the only game that literally haunted my nightmares

>> No.859623
File: 138 KB, 1024x768, redneck rampage.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.859660

Whichever is the one with the Iron Gauntlets. And Blood of course (dat music, dem weapons)
I'll swallow your soul!I'll swallow your soul!I'll swallow your soul!I'll swallow your soul!I'll swallow your soul!I'll swallow your soul!I'll swallow your soul!

>> No.860026

>>852672
>strafing you can't go in diagonal and also strafing slows you down a lot

That is a bug if I remember correctly. There are some beta versions of powerslave on the net that have that bug.

>> No.860038

>>860026
I don't think so, it's the same in every youtube video i've seen

but if you have a version of the game with "normal" strafing do share

>> No.860045

Chasm: The Rift doesn't seem to be mentioned yet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WW_2f2qT1Do

I didn't play it very much at the time because I was scared of the first boss.

>> No.860415
File: 56 KB, 640x400, HereticGauntlets.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>859660

Heretic

>> No.860619

>>860045
that amazing voice acting. I especially like the part where he mentions that they lost the commander and must go on.

>> No.860645

>>856536
this. D'Sparil (episode 3 boss) is the hardest boss i've ever played

>> No.860658

>>858081
if its you thing you might want to check out Black Mesa which is basically a remade version of HL1, only with updated graphics and shit. it is fan made and still missing Xen but i can say my experience with it was worthwhile.

captcha: entrance smsmore (which i read as smswhore)

>> No.860697
File: 21 KB, 250x293, 250px-Sin_Box_Front.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

no one posted SiN, i am sad.

this is a fantastic game with excellent voice acting and great dialogue. plot is somewhat cheesy but passable. level design is varied and well done: indoors, streets, underwater, sewers, and geothermal plant to name a few.

there are a few secrets and secondary objectives in each level, which may elucidate the plot and sometimes trigger a different path or change how a future level is played.

guns are ok. ai sucked shit though.

game is pretty damn hard on the hardest setting, mostly due to how UNFAIR some parts are (think trapped in an elevator with a cyberdemon unfair).

there's a multiplayer mode but i never played it.

all in all great game. there are torrents of it and it can be bought on steam if you feel like it.

(sin episodes: emergency is an ok shooter but lack the fun dialogue of the original so it is undeserving of bearing the name of SiN)

>> No.860735
File: 242 KB, 650x488, marathon2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Frog blast the vent core!

>> No.860839

>>860658

I'm actually playing that right now. I've had it downloaded for about 8 months now, might as well get around to playing it.

>> No.860894

>>853175

I dunno, I kind of liked bloody pulp fiction. The first chapter was great at least, the shopping mall and carnival levels were some of the best user maps I ever played for Blood. But they ran out of steam for the second chapter, that seaside town was the only level that stands out for me, the rest were just forgettable cultist shooting galleries lacking any of the imagination of the first few levels.

>> No.860914

>>860894

IF you're going to try BPF out make sure to get it from dukertcm, the modb page doesn't have the latest 1.3 version and 1.2 has an ass-load of improper texture issues

http://dukertcm.com/knowledge-base/downloads-rtcm/blood-addons/

I'm also gonna suggest to go take a look at the baitd/naitd blood series of mods made to emulate the looks and play-style of the alone in the dark series

>> No.860943

>>858081
Have you tried Half Life: Blue Shift? God I loved Blue Shift. There's also Half Life: Decay which wasn't as good but it's okay nonetheless.

There's also Gunman Chronicles, started out as a mod for Quake and got picked up by Valve. Mediocre but has the Half Life charm if you know what I mean.

>> No.862504

>>860943

I finished Blue Shift 2 years ago, I didn't feel all that great, besides it came out in 2001, so I didn't mention it, although for Decay I don'tt have a second player to play it with.

I'll check that out, thanks.+

>> No.862969

>>860943
I genuinely believe that Blue Shift is the best official add-on of HL1 (but I haven't played Decay). Sure it's shorter, less original and has less new content than Opposing Forces, but what makes Blue Shift so good to me is that it's the perfect summary of what HL1 is all about but with great level design all the way through. Op Forces was good but it wasn't good for what I liked HL1 for.

>> No.865830

>>853019
I have the horrible curse of being unable to enjoy 'spooky' shooters if I have no prior knowledge of the enemies therein. I am terrified of Blood to this day for that reason.

fuck that room in the first level, with white walls and all the drawers of bodies

>> No.865837

>>855863
Hey, did you get Nerf Arena Blast? Cool UT mod with nerf guns, similar to Chex Quest in that respect.

>> No.865880

>>857819
>Cybermage
holy shit, that game
this asian kid let me borrow that back in the day. Had no idea what it was and I was blown away. It almost made my pc explode but it was fucking cool. Pretty advanced for its time

>> No.865890

>>859562
yes

>> No.865928

>>858134
Honestly, I still have no idea what's so good about being forced to stop moving and see a story play out. I'm not interested in your fucking puppet shows, game.

But enough of what FPS became, let's talk about the glorious action-fests of the 90s. Here's an opinion seeker; Which 90s FPS had the best soundtrack?

>> No.865935

>>865928
i feel like this thread is a bit anti-Doom but im going to say Doom regardless. E1M8 still gives me the chills

>> No.865949

>>860697
Isn't this the one with minute-long load times?

>> No.865986
File: 30 KB, 640x192, klabmaps.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>856494
>Ken's Labyrinth

I've never been able to sit down and finish it but I like some things about the game, like how it throws in a bunch of wacky features and some of the levels are legit mazes (this is also why it's a pain in the ass and I haven't finished it, but hey).

"Welcome to Ken's Labyrinth" is also my startup sound, which is really dorky.

>> No.866003

>>858308
Eradicator is third person by default, but don't let that scare you. The gameplay is swell for sprite based FPS games, but it went unknown due to when it came out (1996) like many games coming out at the time. id Software was the company killer.

>> No.866012

>>865935
This thread is not anti-doom. It is a great game, and even those who don't like it at least respect it for what it is. This thread is just about all of the other FPS games that didn't get their spotlight.

>> No.866013
File: 25 KB, 499x375, 1359418068378.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>865986
>Welcome to Ken's Labyrinth is his startup sound
We should be friends anon.

>> No.866028
File: 210 KB, 1680x1050, descent1_level16_1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>865928
>best soundtrack

I say Descent if you count that as an FPS. Very consistent and right on the edge of pleasant background music yet something with a strong pulse.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JMjBlsffFQ

For later 90s, I would say Unreal because I really like tracker music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INwJdtthkek

>> No.866034

>>866028
>dat tracker music
I hear you, I love it too. What a shame Deus Ex isn't retro since it misses the mark by one year.

>> No.866098

>>862969
also dat high definition pack
young me loved OpFor for the squad mechanics and the cool weapons but old me dislikes it because of said mechanics and prefers BS

>> No.866126

>>865837
Oh god I had the demo of Nerf Arena Blast and holy shit was it addictive. I have no idea why since Quake 3 and UT99 were both objectively better games. Still...

>> No.866185

>>865837
No, it was too advanced for my goal of the torrent. I haven't tried it, if that is what you mean, but it looks interesting from the gameplay videos.

>> No.866374
File: 112 KB, 1302x585, duke3Dmods.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>865928
Best soundtrack? Besides Doom I'd probably say... well, Duke Nukem 3D but probably only because I've played it so much every track is stuck in my head.

>>856479
Shameless bump with shameless self advertising for Duke Nukem 3D fans

>> No.866380

>>866374
>best 90's FPS soundtrack
>Doom
>Duke Nukem 3D
>not Unreal (Tournament)
Are you insane?

>> No.866386

>>866380
ah, I have actually never played UT (or Quake3) with the musics on. I was very serious about deathmatching and the music would "distract me" or prevent me from hearing clearly where the adversaries sound come from.

>> No.866393

>>866386
Quake III music was alright, but, man, Unreal and Unreal Tournament soundtracks are one of the best I've ever heard.

>> No.866416

>>866380
>best 90's soundtrack
>Unreal
>not Quake II

>> No.866419

>>866416
Even Quake had better soundtrack than II. II had 2-3 solid tracks at all and they were boring if you are into metal.

>> No.866435

>>866419
They aren't too fast paced, but I thought they fit well. I didn't think that Quake I's soundtracks were too great, ambient isn't too exciting but it does set a mood(but so does all music). I always had preferred loud guitars and drums over dramatic ambiance, made the games feel faster I would have to say.

>> No.866446

>>853469
scary? more like goofy

>> No.866507

>>866419
> and they were boring if you are into metal.
Every soundtrack is pretty much boring if you're not into that kind of music.
Quality wise, Q2's soundtrack was top notch and every track was well done.

>> No.866518

Yeah, Quake 2's music is great. It fits the fast paced action really well. The whole game is fantastic, I only discovered it a couple of years ago and it felt like re-discovering a gem such as Doom or Duke3D; couldn't believe I missed it all these years.

The 2 official add-ons are great too, I recommend it to anyone who has played the original game but not those. One of them even has new enemies and weapons.

>> No.866539

>>866393
Too bad that Quake 3's music was just a remix of the same single track over and over again.

>> No.867039

>>865949
i remember that back when i played it, which was a good 8-10 years ago, the loading times took forever, like over 2 minutes.that added an extra, unexpected layer of challenge, making me play very carefully to avoid another age-long loading screen. truth to be told, my pc was a piece of garbage back then.

>> No.867118

>>866098
>young me loved OpFor for the squad mechanics
The squad mechanics were crap, what are you talking about?

>> No.867140

>>866518
Ground Zero is more high quality and closer to the original game. The other add-on pack was ok but added those fucking annoying Phalanx enemies which basically had shields with fuck-huge health and took forever to kill.

The Quake add-on packs were pretty cool as well actually. The best old FPS expansion pack I've played is Wages of SiN for (take a wild guess) Opposing Force is close though, but Wages of SiN was just fucking awesome.

The two shadow Warrior add-ons were really good as well actually. I've played what remains of Deadly Kiss and it's good as well, although very unfinished.

>> No.867143

>>867118
You had the medic, who could heal you AND your teammates (but had a limited supply) as well as the Engineer, who cut down doors for you. It was basic as fuck (and the doors were obviously on the way and not optional) but it's enough to consider it as a 'squad mechanic'

>> No.867197

>>867143
I never said it wasn't a squad mechanic, I just said it was crap.

>>867140
>The Quake add-on packs were pretty cool as well actually.
Been playing Armagon lately. Is it just me, or does it have a weird amount of setpiece moments compared to the vanilla game?

>> No.867429

Can anyone recommend good singleplayer Quake mods?

>> No.868608

>>865986
That sounds awesome mate, how do I play it?

>> No.868623

>>868608
Ken's Labyrinth is the first build of the Build engine (engine of Duke3D, Shadow Warrior, Blood, Powerslave, etc) made by the developer of the engine

it's really not good... only worth checking out for curiosity sake

>> No.868625

>>866126
Easy answer is jumping down long vertical shafts.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHOOOOOOOOO

I need to download it again and figure out if online is possible.

>> No.868639

>>866185
Ah yeah, I didn't know your goal until I went back and read the thread more carefully. Definitely consider it if you ever do that 96-02 pack though.

>> No.868652

>>866419
Out of curiosity, I have downloaded Quake multiple times on multiple platforms (wii, psp, pc of course) and none of them ever played music. Do you need a CD for that or something?

>> No.868667

>>868623
oh right, Ken Silverman. Should have put two and two together. I think I will check it out, or at least look up "welcome to ken's labyrinth" to see just how dorky it is. I'm expecting some major Carmackium radiation here.

>> No.868670

Speaking of console ports, has anybody ever played Unreal Tournament on Dreamcast? I used to play it a lot with a friend (because on console it actually made things even with pads, I would wreck him on PC). I'm pretty sure it had exclusive maps that I have never seen in any other version and which were really good, anybody knows if they were ever ported to the PC version?

>> No.868671

The Turok series. Rage Wars was good for multiplayer, but Seeds of Evil (2) was best for storyline.

(haven't picked up 3 yet)

>> No.869671

>>868652
I assume you mean Quake 1. Normally, it would require a CD. Someone previously released the music in a .pk3 format, so you can run the music with it like you would a mod, but the links are down on the site. I downloaded the files before they were tooken down, and previously uploaded the files to dropbox for someone else, so here you go.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q4t1wqwp3pjnr08/Quake-HQ-Music.pk3
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f6gfrvsdhl6bbd1/DoE-HQ-Music.pk3
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h0x799colzdn57y/SoA-HQ-Music.pk3

Here is the site I obtained them from (it is a forum)
http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-mod-releases/finished-works/7337-high-quality-music-packs.html

This mod should work on all ports (even the Android port).

>>868671
The first one was my absolute favorite. The overall variation of it all, from weapons to environments, just tugs on my heart strings.

>> No.869880
File: 1.43 MB, 1030x594, apogee.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Did anyone get the ROTT pack that came with the new Rise of the Triad?

All of them are great games.

>> No.869885

I'll assume the only reason no one's mentioned Dark Forces is because you all know about it.

>> No.870419

>>869671
You got any idea how to get this working with Darkplaces? I think I have the SoA one showing up in the mods list, but when I press escape DP crashes.

>> No.871053

Has anybody got any experience on playing PSX FPS emulated using keyboard+mouse? best emulator/setup for that?

>> No.871135

>>868623
>first build of the Build engine
wat? Ken's Labyrinth was a wolf3d clone.

Anyway, Ken Silverman was an amazing game programmer. He practically made the entire Ken's Labyrinth game by himself (including the music, which wasn't bad) as an 18-year-old, with a little bit of art and mapping help from a friend.

>> No.871145

>>869880

I'm tempted because I love Blake Stone, I hope they bring that back next.

>> No.871192

>>871135
>wat? Ken's Labyrinth was a wolf3d clone.
Its, check the section "history of the build engine"
http://advsys.net/ken/build.htm

>> No.873958

>>852672

There's an excellent 'documentary' aboout Powerslave and its developer, Lobotomy games:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMUUrFtwHDY

>> No.874027

>>873958
Cool thanks, will watch it

just had a quick look and apparently it's about the console version/sequel though?

>> No.874549

>>871053
>Has anybody got any experience on playing PSX FPS emulated using keyboard+mouse? best emulator/setup for that?

Nobody?

>> No.874576

Long ago I remember seeing some mod of Doom called Cook, where you were a cook attacking food. It was on some public service computer show, and Google hasn't turned up anything since. But I've always wanted to play it.

Me, I played mainly Doom and Duke 3D for FPS, though my favorite was Chex Quest. I also did time with CyClones, a FPS from Raven Software and SSI, the latter mainly known for publishing excellent D&D PC games.

>> No.874587
File: 34 KB, 400x301, PrimeTarget02.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

did anyone else love this as much as I did?

>> No.874664

>>874576
PO'ed?

>> No.874662

>>858081
Turok 3 is very similar, some people even call it better than HL, but it's not compatible with emulators, the only way to play it is to buy the cartridge and play it on an N64.

>> No.874678

>>874027

It covers everything (all versions, and downfall of Lobotomy).

>> No.874782

>>858093
>>858308
agree COMPLETELY on Half-life.

Great game, but it is responsible for the decline of modern shooters and them becoming pseudo-cinematic garbage.

I'm amazed that Valve had the drive to continue innovating in HL2 and such, but they were (unwittingly, I'm sure) directly implicit in the modern shit games have become.

</hipsterpost> carry on, gentlemen.

>> No.876113

>>869880
luckily, i have these from GOG already, but I'm still looking forward to the new one.
I only hope the UE3 engine doesn't ruin the game.

>> No.876116
File: 28 KB, 230x326, Corridor7_manual_front_cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

to this day I still have my CD

>> No.876119

>>874782
I blame Half-Life for changing the FPS genre from isolated level design to a more connected level design which leads to a feeling of 'linearity' that most 90s fps didn't have.

>> No.876130

Is anyone except me buying Rise of the triad?

I get the Apogee shooter pack free with it on GoG so.

>> No.876131

>>860645
And I beat it on the hardest difficulty
That was hard

I liked that Egypt themed one, wait, is the one in the OP. That's why it came to my mind huh.

>> No.876156

>>876116
Capstone, great purveyor of crappy budget games.

They actually did do a good job with TekWar despite the awful VR maze nonsense.

>> No.876173
File: 42 KB, 349x423, CyberMage.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I see a few people mentioning CyberMage. I have the CD version somewhere.

One of the first things that stands out about it is how buggy the damn game is. Moving forward + a certain power causes the game to hard lock requiring a reset; how that made it through QA is anyone's guess. The game would sometimes just lock up for now reason whatsoever.

The music is interesting, but technical nonsense gets in the way again. When you start playing, the music starts from the beginning of the sound track every time. In order to hear some of the more interesting pieces, you have to leave the game on for a while.

Despite the aggravation, it had a lot of things going for it, and some features that were ahead of its time.
The level art style had a huge variety from sewers, to castles, to cities of the burning and non-burning variety, this game took you places. The level design itself wasn't bad other than some platforming and some mazes (expected of FPS games at the time).
It had limited RPG elements. Eating the souls of enemies would grow your mage.
There was a limited hub/open world.
The game had non-enemy NPCs, which was amazing at the time.
There were even a few vehicle sections with some clunky shootouts.

CyberMage has tons of comic book charm if you can get past how poorly built the game is.

>> No.876194
File: 33 KB, 640x400, rott_gibs.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm doing my first playthrough on hard...and hot damn is this game hard. Also, winrott is such a fucking fidgety sourceport. I like the 3d gravity pads it uses, but for some reason I can't get the 3d catwalks working and I recall those looking fantastic. Not much of a loss, but it always annoys me when things don't work. I can't wait until ECwolf does their sourceport.

>> No.876212

>>870419
Sorry for not responding after so long. I use GLQuake, so I am unfamiliar. Have you attempted to drag and drop the file on top of the Darkplaces executable? That is how I get modifications to work on it.

>> No.876258

>>874587
No sir, but I would like to ask you if you still happen to have the full version of the game? I am unfamiliar with how Macintosh computers work, but could you upload the game to the internet? I ask, because it was one of the 3 games I was unable to receive a full copy of for the torrent. If it were to be uploaded, I would include it in the next update to the torrent, and may consider including a Macintosh emulator as well.

>inb4 someone links me to the macintosh.gardens megaupload link

If you would like, here is a link to the torrent.
http://thepiratebay.sx/torrent/8557820/Retro_First_Person_Shooter_Compilation

>> No.876265

>>876173
I understand. To get it to play optimally on my system, I had to decrease the resolution/screen size dramatically. Once it begins to play, it is rather smooth however.

>> No.876785
File: 325 KB, 1231x1207, listfps.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Can you name them all?

>> No.876803
File: 27 KB, 800x473, 1368471172947.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>876785
What is the one under Duke3D?

>> No.876812
File: 595 KB, 1231x1207, 1373110283981.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>876785
The ones with the question marks are the only ones I couldn't name without researching. Tell me anon, did I miss out with these?

>> No.876826
File: 44 KB, 320x240, satquake7.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Shhh! Don't tell anyone, but I'm a bad console port for a shitty system!

>> No.876829

>>876785
DUKE 3D, OPERATION BODY COUNT, SYSTEM SHOCK 1, HERETIC
DOOM, CHEX QUEST, HEXEN, POWERSLAVE
BLOOD, QUAKE, REDNECK RAMPAGE, SHADOW WARRIOR
TERMINATOR: FUTURESHOCK, WOLFENSTEIN 3D, RISE OF THE TRIAD, STAR WARS: DARK FORCES
SHOGO - MOBILE ARMOR DIVISION, ???, DESCENT
WITCHAVEN, ???, CHASM - THE RIFT, ???

Please tell me those three.

>> No.876836
File: 386 KB, 802x1400, 78865645374675.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>876826
Come on, you aren't that bad.

>> No.876841

>>876829
respectively: Terminal Velocity, Marathon, Strife

>> No.876843

>>876841
I really should play Strife and Marathon. Never even heard of Terminal Velocity, what is it like?

>> No.876854

>>876843
sort of a weird arcade flying shooter where you fly around free-roaming planets blowing shit up before dipping into autoscrolling (for lack of a better word) linear tunnel sequences

kind of odd, but the music's fantastic and it can run at high resolutions (1024x768!)

it got a sequel of sorts for win95 called fury3 if you've played that, it's basically a map pack

>> No.876880

>>876854

And get a joystick, because otherwise the control is wretched.

>> No.877156

>>876130
I already pre-ordered it.

my shitty laptop won't even be able to run it

>> No.877168

>>856319
Blood doesn't run on the doom engine (id Tech 1), so skulltag wouldn't work with it. Someone could have made a TC for it though.

Oh, and due to faggotry within the community of skulltag, they renamed it. I wouldn't mind this too much but the new name is absolute shit, "Zandronum"

>> No.877178

>>856350
eduke32 supports co op right? Blood looks fun, I'd love to play it with a buddy of mine.

>> No.877190
File: 31 KB, 390x383, sb_robot-hitler_color.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>876785
>>876812
Wolfenstein 3D will always be a huge nostalgia bomb for me. Not because I played it myself--I didn't--but because my dad played the fuck out of it. I was 5 years old when it came out and for some reason the loud door noises and all the spooky Nazis scared the shit out of me, but I still watched my dad play it for hours on end.

I did laugh my ass off at robo-Hitler, though.

>> No.877198

>>877178
>multiplayer
Honestly it does have it, but the Steamworks version with jduke has far better multiplayer. EDuke32 is tryign to improve it though.

>> No.877201

>>877178
Try to see if it's possible to play the original game in netplay somehow instead. It's probably possible but probably a lot of trouble to set it up though, I really don't recommend that Blood TC for Duke. Again, it's a RECREATION of the game, not a port

>> No.877204

>>858137
You can get the console maps for D2 now though, perfectly done even on a superior source port.

>> No.877237

They don't get talked about much, but Hexen II and Heretic II were both really good.

>> No.877523

>>877190
I sill like wolf3d from a classic/nostalgia perspective, but I find it hard to replay since I find it more tedious to play some of the maps just due to the 2d maze design of them. I've been spoled by doom and build with their multi height angular walls and other such. Even rott is getting to feel that way to me, I hope tje remake can breath new life into some of the old levels

>> No.877623

>>876812
>>876829
Second last row middle is Terminal Velocity, bottom right is Strife.

>> No.877751

>>859623
That was the last level of the game.

>> No.877753

>>876812
Fury3x.

>> No.877763
File: 409 KB, 1920x1080, DOSBox 2013-07-06 21-16-55-44.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.877764

>>877763

What game is that?

>> No.877767

>>877764
Blood.

>> No.877770

oh... wait... this is an NESFag thread... was almost going to participate but now I'm hiding, fuck you.

>> No.877785

>>877763
>>877767

I'd play that, but trying to search for a download is impossible.

>> No.877789

>>876116
Holy shit I had a shareware disc in 95 with this game. Spooked the hell out of me as a kid thanks to the shit graphics and lack of music unless it was the cry of an alien.
My fuck did it suck

>> No.877812

That fucking game!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ermi55hilas

>> No.877814

>>877785
it's in the torrent in this post >>876258
it's also at about any abondonware site

>> No.877825

>>877812
are there any other FPS games with a cartoony feel to them? I already know about Mr Pib (though that looks horrid) and that Chex game.

>> No.877860

>>877753
No, it's terminal velocity.

>> No.877871

>>877190
I didn't play it until I was in my teens, and somehow it scared the shit out of me the first few times I played it, where Doom didn't. Maybe I was just scared of nazis... I dunno.

>> No.877893
File: 50 KB, 640x480, D2SS_03.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>876785
>>876812
>>877623
>>876841
>>876843
>>876854
if Terminal Velocity can be considered an FPS can the Decent games be considered such as well. I loved them when I was younger and have never seen people talk about them which is odd since they were somewhat popular in their time.

>> No.877896

>>877893
before some one points it out, yes, I meant Descent.

>> No.877979
File: 49 KB, 405x373, SpaceOrb_sm.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>877893
Descent, Terracide, Radix and Forsaken can be considered FPSes, though they do have their own category - zero-G shooters, but there's so few of them ... well, point is, it's a specialized category that does clearly fall in with FPSes. OOH! And you know what's really neat? Terminator future shock fitted both the zero-G and pure-FPS categories, except it didn't give you "6 degrees of freedom".

Now, going further away from that, in the direction of terminal velocity there's probably more games, which don't have the same formula elements.

>> No.878485

>>856319
There's a .wad TC of Blood for Doom (actually, there are several) but most of them tend to be boring to be honest.

>> No.878607
File: 224 KB, 816x637, 6575.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.878696

>>877770

What the fuck are you even talking about?

>> No.878808

>>853175

Has anyone gotten these to work on Win7 with the GOG release?

>> No.878828

>>877770
What

>> No.878829
File: 77 KB, 640x480, 07.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

None of you fuckers will guess this game, especially since it's unreleased

>> No.878831
File: 8 KB, 320x200, bs_aog_000.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Been playing some Blake Stone since it came with the ROTT2013 preorder. 100%'d the first episode including the secret levels. God damn if those informants didn't try their best to walk into the PerScan drones and get in my line of fire, though.

>> No.878838

>>878829
Fate.

Fuck you too faggot.

>> No.878842

>>858087
God I fucking love the descent games.
They made my childhood.

>> No.878849

>>878607
For those who don't know, that's from a mod called DeathWish, not from the original game. A very well done mod too.

>> No.878857

Does anybody remember a FPS game with black and white visuals and (I think) enemies made of paper?

>> No.878893

>>878857

Yes, and it's either Russian or heavily Russian themed, but I don't remember the name of it.

>> No.878980

>>878842
Shit, man, nostalgia to the face. Descent 2 is still one my favorite games of all time.

>> No.879091
File: 27 KB, 350x500, sweaty girl.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>858087
>>878980
>>878842
>>877896
Oh? And the prettiness...

>> No.879098

>>856319
There's BloodCM if you wanna try that. But it's fucking poorly optimized as hell.
>Dat entire E1M3

How can you fuck up so bad?

>> No.879110

>>878829
Fate looked like the one time Capstone was going to turn out a game that was actually good for once.

It still had a few Capstone-isms like the invincible wall turrets and other nonsense they liked to stuff into their games.

Too bad they ran out of money.

>> No.879128
File: 26 KB, 256x306, shogo mad.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.879152

Man, if Shadow Warrior only rebalanced some of the weapons it had and redesigned some of the hitscan enemies it had. It was would have been as nearly as perfect as Duke 3D.

It's a fucking shame that's it being turned into a horde shooter with magic powers. At least the new ROTT remake looks better than the original. But that's not saying much since the first game was trash.

>> No.879164

>>879128
I liked Shogo: MAD, but it was all flash and no substance. Running around in a big robot didn't feel any different from running around on foot. The story is a complete throwaway. Shooting was still satisfying especially with heavy weapons. The levels had some nice variety with its urban sections and space locales; it was nice to see a change from the usual nondescript military bases, faceless sewers, and vent mazes of the time.

The game did a good job of riding the anime wave of the late 90s along with Oni.

>> No.879169

>>879091
personally I didn't like Forsaken as much as Descent and Descent 2... something about it just felt... off

>> No.879492
File: 765 B, 26x58, STAR_Trooper.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>878831
>Dat level 1 secret plazma bazooka guarded by two STAR Troopers
If you can get that gun on the harder modes, my hat is off to you. Those fuckers murder you so fast.

>> No.879635

>>879492
The harder difficulties are fucking bullshit. They not only increase the number of enemies, but also increase the number of shots to kill them. It makes those guys fucking impossible. I tried the third difficulty at first, only to switch down to the second when it took me a good 30-odd shots to down one of those brown mutants at close range.

>> No.879680

>>879635
I've beaten it on 4, but I had to be insanely careful. The problem with both Blake Stone is that it's hard to be quick with aiming and strafing.

>> No.879737

>>877825
There are a few. Some are Bad Toys 3D, Escape From Monster Manor, Faceball 2000, H.U.R.L., Jumping Flash, Kens Labyrinth, Nitemare 3D, and Super Noahs Ark 3D, but then again this is a subjective subject, and your experience may vary.

>> No.879750

>>879152
>horde shooter with magic powers
Wasn't some remake of Wolfenstein like this?

I wouldn't say that ROTT was bad, but having unlimited ammunition took away a lot of the challenge. At least the weapons were pleasing, and never running out of bullets allowed me to enjoy the shooting more than I should have.

>> No.879824

So I finished Powerslave/Exhumed on PC and I've considering playing the console versions (which are whole different games).

I read/watched a few things about them and apparently even between the 2 console versions (PSX and Saturn) there are some notable differences such as 4 or 5 levels which are completely different. I'd like to play the Saturn version, I have it but in PAL so I'd rather not play in 50hz; but Saturn emulation is kinda bad... anybody played it on emulation, was it playable and if so with which saturn emulator?

>> No.879840
File: 27 KB, 320x240, starsiege.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.879845

>>878808

Its rather simple to get them to work, you've gotta look at it like Wolf 3D modding where theres no built-in option for custom content but instead you have to go through the rigorous process of dummying and masking in game files to get custom maps and content to work properly

Basically each and every blood mod requires you to install a new copy of blood (along with the mod in question) and usually requires you to run the game from said mod's .bat file to get it to replace the content and run properly

Its shit like this that really makes me wish that Atari would get off their fucking ass and release the source code, so that I don't have like 30 different installs of one-unit whole blood for each and every damn blood mod

>> No.879863
File: 83 KB, 600x600, Disruptor%20%5BU%5D%20%5BSLUS-00224%5D-front[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Can't remember if this game was any good (I haven't played it since the 90s.), but man did it have some truly hilarious live-action cutscenes.

>> No.879876

>>879824
I tried out SSF with this game and it works pretty well, easy to setup and controls are fine too. I haven't played far though so I don't know if there are any bugs further in the game.

>> No.880351
File: 129 KB, 1152x837, powerslavePSX.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Started playing the PSX version of Powerslave emulated on ePSXe. So far I'd say that the game is really great and impressive for Playstation due to how smooth and gorgieous it is. Lighting and controls are really good too, it plays surprinsgly well for a console FPS.

However so far I'd say that level design isn't as interesting as the PC game, but I haven't played much.

>> No.880452

>>878857
Welp, someone.

>> No.880460

>>879091
> That sexy poster

>> No.880510

>>880460
I remember opening a magazine with that poster on one page, putting my face really close to her and fapping gently ;_;

>> No.880586

>>878857

ZPC, maybe?

I know it has a lot of weird zebra-stripe textures and shading and has comic book-esque visuals

>> No.880608

>>852672
Uhhhhhhh
The Doom thread is the 90's FPS thread.
Come on son.

>> No.880623

>>880608
The Doom is for the 5-6 Anon who for some reasons like to talk about their maps here rather than on doomworld. Even if there is talk about other games nobody feels like finding those posts in between circlejerk and talk about some random Doom mod

>> No.880627
File: 27 KB, 300x304, tumblr_m124erbz261r95fgm.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>880623
>5-6

>> No.881143

>>880586
No. The game had clown-like enemies, I think.

>> No.881189
File: 55 KB, 1000x482, Qwerty.svg.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

so with old FPS games, I feel like they expect you to use your keyboard this way. I don't see it being very comfortable and instead used the right side. How did you play these games?

>> No.881204

>>881189
You used the CTRL, ALT, and SHIFT on the left side of the keyboard with your left hand.

This was before we had good mouse support w/ freelook, and WASD.

>> No.881364

>>881204
I think around strife, duke and quake they started using the right side thought since asdzxc were used for more functions? Also with Heretic having the look functions on the del/end/pgdwn did they use that block or did they want you to use the numpad versions of those?

>> No.881379
File: 49 KB, 448x475, PCF6.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>881189
Not like they expected.

Pic very related.

>> No.881394

>>881364
For qwerty boards, the keys you mention are on the left side so keeping the left hand on that side only makes even more sense since there is less reaching to those keys.

If the game didn't have proper mouse + freelook support (which wasn't until Q1 or HL1), I almost never used the view angle keys unless absolutely necessary. Most 2.5D shooters at the time usually accommodated for enemies of different heights by automatically aiming up or down within the view screen.

>> No.881396

>>881204

I play regular Doom with mouse now. No way I can go back to keyboard only like I grew up with.

>> No.881685

Total newfag here regarding dosbox. I want to play heretic, I've got the directories set up and can run the autoexec just fine, but when I do so it is giving me some shit about the soundblaster or something. it says "set blaster=a220 i7 d1 h5 t6", and I read up how to config those setting, but the thing I don't get is that the settings its telling me match the default setting displayed whenever I first start dosbox.

>> No.881720

>>881685

your post is confusing. use a source port.

>> No.881781

For those people talking about Ken Silverman, I was recently reading some interviews with him, and it's fucking depressing. He was basically demoralized out of the business once Quake came out, and thought he could never mach the tech. So since Build he's basically been a shut-in other than helping part time at his dad's lab at Brown.

He also said Carmack emailed him a couple years ago to see if he wanted to work at iD and he shot him down, saying he didn't want to move to Texas.

He could have been great imo.

>> No.881867

>>881781
I hope Voxlap can be used in better projects, but since no one knows what it is, it will probably never be used.

>> No.881897

>>881781
I think Ken Silverman helps the people working on the sourceport of Duke3D from times to times. He doesn't have to feel bad imo, he made a great engine which is a lot of fans favourite which spawned plenty of great official release and is still spawning endless quality user content. Plus the engine is still being improved on.

>> No.881904

>>852739
that's more unreal than metroid.

>> No.881930
File: 56 KB, 640x480, cyclone2.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Anyone ever play CyCloneS? Anyone actually got a copy that works? Trying to run a crack on it is a pain in the ass.

>> No.882025

>>881930
The copy I found on Abandonia works pretty well in my experience.

>> No.882067

>>881930

I like SSI more for their D&D games. CyClones is nothing special.

>> No.882070

>>881867
Voxlap was used to created Ace of Spades (the original, not the Jagex one)

>> No.882073

>>882067
Yeah, but I have nostalgic value for cyclones.

>> No.882161

>>881781
That is pretty depressing.

He does have a lot of voxel stuff up on his homepage.

Even if he can't go polygonal full 3D, he might be able to reinvent himself has a voxel indie game programmer.

>> No.882169

>>881781
He really should have worked with Carmack, they might have been able to be great partners working together. Though thinking about how Carmack has worked in the past, it might have just been nothing.

>> No.882202

>>882169
Carmack once described Build as being "held together with bubble gum". I don't think the two would get along very well.

>> No.882403

>>882202
Carmack also said that Ken Silverman was the best programmer he ever knew. I'm pretty sure they would get along fine.

>> No.882496

>>881781
>>881897
>>882169
>>882202
Some guy on the internet did a code analysis of DN3D: http://fabiensanglard.net/duke3d/index.php