[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 394 KB, 565x473, Screen shot 2012-08-22 at 18.53.37.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
849363 No.849363 [Reply] [Original]

http://retrospectivegaming.tumblr.com/post/54081042278/opinion-this-is-not-a-fad

>Retro gaming is no doubt a rapidly growing community, more and more people wanting to join in the new ‘trend’ at staggering numbers, but it comes with it’s problems.

>Those who are riding on the bandwagon, wanting to give this a ‘try’, or decide to buy some games because it’s becoming more and more popular will soon fade back into reality, no more posts on /r/GameCollecting of “I thought i’d start a collection" which come in their myriad.

What's the deal with all this /vr/? Is retro gaming become a mainstream fad or is it still a niche interest?

I'm scared, I don't want retro gaming to be taking over by fake assholes you don't care about the games, at least I have you guys. ;_;

pic unrelated

>> No.849365

keep reading the article OP, the last bit will warm your heart

>"Retro games is a true art, a beautiful niche interest that many can try to hope on board and ride, but those true passionate individuals, who have been collecting all their life, will never die and this fantastic community and hobby will play such a magical part of our lives."

>> No.849368

>>849363
The fake assholes will get burned out quickly after they appease their nostalgia after buying some Mario games and Mario Kart and shit like that, they'll never know the touch of an underrated and overlooked classic like Ninja Warriors, Mighty Final Fight or Undercover Cops.

>> No.849369

>>849365
i guess

but it doesn't really answer my question, is retro video gaming becoming mainstream or is it still niche?

>> No.849373

>>849368
b-but I love Mario games ;_;

>> No.849375

>>849373
Yeah I do too, but the majority of people who bandwagon jump onto this shit will be appeased buying the two or three games they owned as kids, which is almost always something as common as dirt as the Mario / Duck Hunt cart. They won't want to go out of their way to find forgotten games that might interest them, and they sure as shit won't want to spend the money that these things are regularly going for now if it's not a known commodity to them.

>> No.849379

It has been happening. They buy the games at outrageous prices (they want it now instead of being patient), they then resell them when they get tired of them. With this in mind, they leave the market and leave the people who really care about games in a shit situation;namely artificial prices.

>> No.849417

>>849379

I have been dealing with this shit for more then 10 years now. Trying to hunt down rare Neo Geo and Pc Engine games, just to find them with a hefty price tag on them.

It's not even difficult naymore to find all these games, there not "rare" just totally expensive!

we might be complaining about this direction, but it has been like this since decades in Japan - with huge retro chains and the internet deciding the prices...

>> No.849439

>>849379
>>849375

and will it get any better?

>> No.849441

>>849439

honestly I doubt it. this has been going on since 2004-2005 and it still looks like retro is getting more and more famous / cool.

>> No.849443
File: 30 KB, 500x500, 1346929028787.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>849441

>> No.849471

I highly doubt that this will become a really big thing, because 'normal trendy' people are not going to go through all that trouble we go to.
Collecting old consoles and games can be really tedious.

>> No.849474

>>849471

yes - but I don't think prices will go much down or a bubble burst in the near future.

most games won't grow in value most likely, but the prices we are seeing now will settle and be regarded as "normal".

Just take the Neo Geo for example - 500€ for a mint copy of Twinkle Star Sprites was considered normal back then - today (because of bootlegs and other issues) a LEGIT and mint copy can go for like 1300€!

>> No.849475

>>849439
Doubt it. People are lazy and not very likely to want to get up to sell those old ass games they bought in a fad fueled rush. Not to mention things get damaged and even natural disasters have a toll on the rarer titles.

>> No.849478

>>849369
>is retro video gaming becoming mainstream or is it still niche?
Who gives a shit?
It's not like they could harm the actual games.
At worst they'll just drive the prices up for collectors who'll probably earn a mint selling off their less beloved bits.

>> No.849480

>>849478

no - but thanks to the interest in retro stuff every single grandma and jew out there is trying to make a fortune on their games.

I am tired of having to search across the whole internet just to find a mint copy of a game and NOT pay a hefty premium price for it.

>> No.849479

>>849417
>but it has been like this since decades in Japan
Good thing too.
Tons of games over there are cheap as shit in comparison.

>> No.849481

>>849479

that's true - but a lot of stuff (at least the games I am lookgin for) have gotten quite expensive.

I paid like 50.000 Yen back then for Magical Drop 3 and about 40.000 for Metal Slug 3. today they want almost 70.000-90.000 Yen for those games.

especially Akihabara has turned into a "tourist trap" :(

mind you I am talking about "high end" games, regular stuff is still cheap compared to the rest of the world.

>> No.849482

>>849480
So don't buy mint copies.
You're going to get jewed either way when it comes to collecting anything remotely obscure.
's why I stopped personally. Anything interesting is going to cost out the ass unless you're really lucky and even then you're probably going to get a better experience just downloading it.

>> No.849483

>>849439

The best you can do is educate yourself on what a fair price and don't pay resellerage/feebay prices.

This of course takes time and patience.

I think stuff is going to level out eventually but who knows when. Little Samson and the lke going for 500+ is unsustainable in the long run. What happens when there aren't that many people who want to buy the games yet the prices are the same?

>> No.849484

I personally prefer emulation as a gateway to retro-gaming, i save money, i dont have a room full of carts ill never have time to play, i dont have to worry if theyll break or get stolen... Its been that way since...1998 for me. if its one thing im missing out on, its the Saturn.

>> No.849489

Differentiating this strongly between retro and modern is incredibly damaging to the artform to begin with.
In what other artform do people only care about the very latest, whilst immediately dismissing anything older than the recent?
I've never thought too much about it. I don't care when a game was released. I enjoy them all just the same.
I can hardly even tell the difference anymore with so many indie games coming out trying to imitate the visual aesthetics of classic games.

>> No.849491

>>849368
There's just something special about digging through a huge pile of roms and coming across a game that only a few people of played

It's more about coming at it from an archeological stand point and not so much being a hipster

>> No.849497

>>849489
>Differentiating this strongly between retro and modern is incredibly damaging
Nope. It's the way it's gone because of shitheel developers not having the slightest bit of taste.
>to the artform
What a worthless fucking non-definition. Nowadays shitting in a cup in front of a crowd is performance "art". It hasn't had any meaning since the Dadaists and DuChamp's faggotry got rolling.
>In what other artform do people only care about the very latest, whilst immediately dismissing anything older than the recent?
In tons of mediums. Try talking about anything older than a year on /a/.
>I can hardly even tell the difference anymore with so many indie games coming out trying to imitate the visual aesthetics of classic games.
And failing miserably in their attempts at cashing in on better games and thinking they can be lazy due to it.

>> No.849504

>>849482
This, it's balls to the wall when you're trying to find something obscure that you actually want. If you're that desperate to play the game then you should just emulate it (don't get me wrong, I prefer hard copies of games).

Frankly though, I think you should be happy that other people are becoming interested in a game series that you enjoy.

>> No.849523

A lot of casual/non gamers owned these consoles back in the day. Believe it or not, the 2600, NES, SNES, Genesis, N64 and PS1 moved quite a few units between them. And now, 2+ decades later, kids from that era have grown up and now some of them want to relive a part of their childhood. Is it really so surprising to find a sizable market for retro gaming? Video games were never an exclusive, super-secret club

also I suspect price gouging is primarily the domain of the hardcore gamers who understand the value of these titles

also what did you expect when you decided that your enjoyment of vidya is derived primarily from the superficial, materialist aspect of collecting boxes that sit on your shelf

>> No.849538

I used to work at a used video game exchange, and every week for the entire year I worked there, it was always the same scenario:

A group of hip young twentysomething adults come in on a friday evening, and start pointing at everything and stating "OH, I REMEMBER THAT!" They buy a complete NES system with 5 games and rave about how they're gonna spend all night "playing the shit out of it"

I would then come back to work Sunday and either everything they bought is back in the "returns" bin or I'm the one processing the return.

>> No.849551
File: 99 KB, 600x704, smug.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>849538
>buying a system they don't even own
But, aren't all sales for these games based on nostalgia?
They probably did play the games and just got hit with reality and said, "man this is worse than I thought it was".

At least they had the decency to return it.

>> No.849552

>>849497
>It hasn't had any meaning since the Dadaists and DuChamp's faggotry got rolling.
yeah? Dada and DuChamp faggotry had no meaning?

do go on professor...

>> No.849570

>>849551

Not necessarily. Plenty of people still enjoy the mechanics of older games. I play Rolling Thunder and Adventure Island all the time because they're fun. I didn't discover Little Samson, Little Nemo or EVO: The Search for Eden until I started working there (early twenties) and I play those two constantly without being influenced by childhood nostalgia.

>> No.849578

>>849570
I've been on an NES kick lately, so all I've played at all in the last like 2-3 weeks has been dominating SMB, and somehow I still have fun and legitimately enjoy it every time. I think somehow I can shut off parts of my brain that would interfere with enjoyment. I literally regress back to being like 5-10 years old when I play my old games, except I tend to swear when I die now, moreso as a reflex than actual anger.

I think what I'm going to start doing soon is start reading the old Nintendo Powers and start trying games out that way. Sure, I'll miss a lot, but there's plenty of old retro games I've never played. There was just something so fucking fun about Nintendo Power as a child, getting mad hyped for games, looking at maps, reading stuff like Epic Center, even if you never played those games in the end. It was still fun. Thank god EmuParadise pretty much has all the old ones for NES-early GameCube era.

NP's got some weird shit in it to be sure, but goddamn was it packed full of charm. Too bad it pretty much all died out sometime after the GameCube came out. Playing old N64 games will be a bitch too because emulation is always going to be shit.

>> No.849590 [DELETED] 

>>849538
I used to visit a used video game exchange

A shrewd fleet of pimple scarred staff members exchanges sarcastic glares when my friends and I walk in ( I guess they think video games were invented in the last decade and we're not allowed to enjoy them? ) and start guffawing at every comment and gesture we make regarding the games we were thinking about buying for the weekend.

>friends and I get home and plug in the system
>start to feel guilty
>how can we possibly deserve to play these games being this twenty-something and hip?
>round up friends into garage and leave engine running
>sunday morning landlord liquidates house and sells unit back to retro shop

>> No.849608 [DELETED] 

>I enjoy old shit because I'm legit as fuck, everyone else does it because of AVGN

>> No.849610

>>849552
>Dada and DuChamp faggotry had no meaning?
Dada and DuChamp faggotry ensured that the term Art no longer has any meaning.
Well those and postmodern relativist crap.

>> No.849612

>>849608
>>849590

Well, thread's over, I guess.

>> No.849615 [DELETED] 

>>849612

/v/ and /fit/ have arrived! everybody run!

>> No.849616 [DELETED] 

It is a fad for stupid games like Megafag and Final Faggasy. Half of the threads on /vr/ about them.

>> No.849624 [DELETED] 

>>849616
That must've taken you forever to think up!

Gold star for you, Jimmy!

>> No.849667

God damn, some of these kids getting asspained about this remind me of the "girl gamer" thing that's currently on /v/ right now.
Here's what retro gaming should be about
>Didn't have a chance to experience a game when you were younger?
>current/next gen either uninteresting or played out?
>interested in building up a video game collection because you love video games?
>Spend a little time researching the hobby before diving in?
Awesome. Instead, we get a bunch of underaged nimrods running around
>I don't know why this game is "popular", but I played it now and it sucks!
>What do you mean that copy of RE2 isn't worth $60? I don't care I'm buying it anyways!
>I want to look cool in my high school!
>"This is a NES-001"

The reason I made the analogy earlier about girl gaming is this is exactly the same shit. A bunch of people thinking they are a part of something or even know what the fuck they are doing get butt devastated when they are called out on it. There are a few "under 20" people who seem to have a vague idea about what they are doing getting into the retro gaming thing, but a vast majority I come across seem to have no clue and might as well be collecting pogs. This example has happened more than once, and convinces me why retro game stores feel they can sell 20-40% over even e-bay/pricecharting values.

>Be at a retro-game store
>"How much for that copy of turtles in time?
>$60
>HAHAHA, NO. Call me when its half that.
>teenagers come in
>"dude this game man, I -head- this game was good! How much?"
>$60
>"I'll take it!"

Part of the reason I'm so glad people don't know shit about the Genesis. CIB games going for $40 left and right.

>> No.849684

Why is this even an issue...

>> No.849691

>>849667

Girl gamer has been a thing that's been complained about since about 2007-2008. Personally 2010 was the last time I saw a gurlllll gammmerrrrr. I think that shit is passed over already for girls when they hit 21-22. I know there wasn't any gurl gamers when I hit second year of uni.

>> No.849697

>>849691
They turned into people spouting feminist bullshit. Now instead of taking their weird frustrations out on gamers, they take it out on tumblr.

>> No.849704
File: 35 KB, 400x400, 1309286279493.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>849684
because it everything to me!

>> No.849719

>>849684
It shouldn't be.
/vr/ hates how collecting on systems like the SNES is getting ridiculously expensive for a variety of reasons, and likes to scapegoat hipsters and teenagers who only want to collect games because of Game Grumps and other Youtube LPers as the source of their problems. There's also a small group of older members who still seem to be under the impression that gaming should be their own super secret club, and not a mainstream market.

Same people who make daily topics posting screenshots of ebay items and spend hours bitching about them.

>> No.849734

>>849719
>gaming should be their own super secret club, and not a mainstream market.

>sold insane volumes to the masses
>super secret club
hehehehehehehehehehahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHEUEUEUEUEHUEHUEHUHUHUEHUEHUHEUHUEHUEHUEHUHEUEHUEHEHEHEHUEHEUEUHEUEHHE

get over yourselves

>> No.849735

>>849667
>Genesis
Some faggot tried to sell Dynamite Headdy without the box and a damaged sticker to my cousin for 35 USD recently.

I gave my 5-dollar-thrifted CIB copy to him for nothing because I was done with it. It looks like it's starting to happen.

>> No.849739

>>849697

Thank the gods

>> No.849752

>>849667
my personal reasons are these:
>Didn't have a chance to experience a game when you were younger?
>interested in building up a video game collection because you love video games?

even though i'm 21, i know a lot about video games & systems post NES, except for things like 3DO & NeoGeo, one day though i'm sure.

But seriously, I know i'm young for consoles that came out before I was even born, but I just fucking love everything about it, the cool cartridges, the neat controllers, the sounds, the graphics, the multiplayer fun, how it all looks on my shelf, i just love it so bad

just wanted to share

>> No.849780

>>849704
>>849719
Sure, I get that. I just find it weird that things have gotten to the point where some (younger) people actually feel the need to justify their enjoyment of older games just to avoid being labeled No True Scotsmen by a crowd of vocal elitists who apparently feel entitled to low prices.

And by "weird" I mean "annoying".

>> No.849790

>>849752
get the fuck out of here, you think you can just enjoy games for the sake of fun?

>doesn't boast his pvm CRT
>reveals his age
>doesn't know metal slug

get on our level mang

>> No.849806

>>849790
I don't think he's even 21; more like 16

What the fuck kind of retro gamer are you, child? Do you even know what LOAD"*",8,1 does? Or CONFIG.SYS. Or how EGA graphics work.

You ain't on the same level as we. Get on it, nigger.

>> No.849814
File: 68 KB, 800x546, cup-and-ball.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>849806
doth ye even recall experiencing the boisterous days of cup and ball?

art thou prepared for a jaunt upon our height good negro?

>> No.850072

>>849814
i had the ball and string imported from mexico but i have yet to secure an original cup for it. im planning on doing the build myself from parts because i want to keep the price under 300 USD.

>> No.850116 [DELETED] 

>>849780
>No True Scotsmen
How's your autism man?

>> No.850123 [DELETED] 

>>850116
Great comeback.

>> No.850127
File: 33 KB, 385x222, aw.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>850072

>> No.850134

>Not owning flash carts
Come on guys, this was entirely your own fault.

>> No.850187

>>850116
I don't know about his alleged autism, but your illiteracy is shining like a beacon. The phrase "no true Scotsman" is the most simple way to express the concept of the "ever-more exclusionistic group or organization in which each new rule eliminates more prospective members" or whatever.

Then we have dipweeds coming in here acting like they represent the whole of /vr/, sock puppets on each hand, claiming that /vr/ is an exclusive club that newfreiends cannot into, when the truth of /vr/ is that it is open to any and all looking to appreciate classic gaming, and to have fun.

>> No.850193

>>850187
If we're exclusionist, there's nothing wrong with that.

>thinking we should let in a bunch of shitbabbies born in 1997 who didn't live through the day of retro gaming

>> No.850194
File: 105 KB, 960x720, 1371675422944.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>850134
SOON.
Soon, the SuperFX chip games will be playable on the next SNES flash cart, and I won't give a fuck about any price gouging ever.

Everything will become infinitely better. I hope.

>> No.850209

>>850193
Does it really matter? Lots of different people here lived through different eras, even a 18 year old lived through the N64 and PSX era and can logically post here.

It's about going back and playing those awesome games that we didn't get to. Not be a nostalgiafag over popular shit.

>> No.850219

>>850193
My nephew was born in 1996 and he inherited all of his sweet retro stuff from all 3 of his older brothers.

It's kind of sad really, because his friends didn't even know what the fuck a Sega Saturn, Sega CD, or even Dreamcast were because they were all just toddlers. That said, everyone should give newcomers a chance to enjoy some nice games.

If they don't like it it's their problem. Why waste your energy sperging out on people like that?

>> No.850234

>>850193
I don't think there's anything wrong with someone with a genuine interest in the games playing them, no matter their age.

The problem is that there is a certain demographic (how large that demographic is exactly remains debatable) that has little interest in the games themselves, and more interest in "Look what I own! I'm going to post pictures of the copy of Earthbound that I just bought for $300!" You can claim that's not a very large group, but to deny its existence is simply being blind to reality.

>> No.850236

>>850219
>>850209

this turned into a "who is the cool kid" discussion when the issues is not that!

the issue is that so many people on the internet and in the real world hail retro as the absolute savior and solution to gamers; that loads of new people with too big wallets join this scene and inflate the prices.

that is the problem.

If i want to own original hardware I should have to shell out thousands of dollars because all of a sudden it's awesome to have retro games.

another problem are all the professional, semi-professional and amateur resellers who buy shitloads of stuff in Europe,US and Japan and think they're gonna get rich.
and what I have seen over the last years is that people who are new to the scene are accepting these prices as if they're a given.

which let's the whole pricing escalate....

>> No.850246

>>850209
I'm a 19 year old and my only systems for a while were the NES and SNES that I received via hand-me-down. Didn't even get a PSX or N64 until I was 7 or 8. While I technically was born post-16 bit era, they're the games I grew up with.

The exclusionary attitude is frustrating.

>> No.850260

>>850246

>The exclusionary attitude is frustrating.

by whom exactly? some random guy on /vr/ you'll never meet?

so far I have not experience anything like that since most threads here are not about age or something like that.

>> No.850264

Shit negro, I just wanted to play the game. It's a bit hard when all the games/systems I want to play/own are fucking expensive as shit.

>> No.850268

>>850260

There is a vocal minority of people who believe that if you 'weren't around to experience it as a kid, you shouldn't be interested'. They are fucking retarded.

>> No.850271

>>850268

but only on /vr/ right?

cuz I have never seen anything like that outside of 4chan (be it games, music or something else).

>> No.850272

>>850236
So then what would you propose to solve this problem?

Realistically, these kinds of people outgrow their popularity contest and choose these options,
>resell the games for an even higher price
>never sell the game and cause an increase of price due to supply and demand
>somehow resell the game for less only to have the reseller sell it for more

You just can't win with this hobby, you're better off becoming a thief.
Don't deny you haven't had the inclination to walk over to them and snatch it right out of their homes because they don't deserve it.

>> No.850274

Why do people on here care how old people are? I feel like its only people on /v/ and /vr/ who get upset over people's ages and nostalgia. Like my Dad doesn't get mad when I listen to music he grew up with because "I wasnt even born when it was made."

>> No.850279

>>850271
You've obviously never been outside of your basement. Shitass people like that are everywhere for just about every possible hobby.

>> No.850280

>>850234
>but to deny its existence is simply being blind to reality.
I'm not denying anything, I just don't see hipsters and posers and label #2312 as a "problem", maybe because I don't have this unfounded base assumption that the old and increasingly rarer shit I'm interested in should somehow remain cheap forever.

>> No.850289

>>850274
>my dad

It's the equivalent of the kids who post "Im 13 and pink gloyd lead zeppelin and arrowsmith are the best thumbs up pls" on youtube. People who have no cultural bearing to a specific time blindly liking whatever is deemed to still be "cool".

>> No.850285

>>850272

honestly I don't have a solution and I doubt the price spiral will stop anytime soon.

I'm just getting frustrated that I need to shell out like 1300$ for a Neo Geo title which I knew cost like 500$ 10 years ago.

I understand that this is basic economics with a grain of gambling in it but it doesnt make me feel any better.
and I dont propose that only the "real people" play or collect retro stuff.

another topic that I get pissed at are repros/bootlegs/cons - but that is a diferent story.

>> No.850296

>>850279

>You've obviously never been outside of your basement.

are we on /v/ already?

assuming that everyone here is a neckbeard who wants to bone 5 year ord lolis?
and no - I have not experienced it here in Europe in the retro scene.

don't know about the US.

and I am talking about retro games - not "true" metal music or "true" hip hop - since that'S a constant shitfest.

>> No.850297

>>850280
I'm not arguing that the cost should never go up with time, I'm arguing that it's different when there's suddenly a large group of people willing to pay any price simply to own these games, with little to no real interest in the games themselves. There's nothing that can be done about it, but it still sucks, and is still a problem.

>>850285
>repros/bootlegs/cons
Really, I'm almost to the point where I think that these would simply be great. If the market doesn't fix itself soon, it's probably worth it to just shit all over the thing.

>> No.850298

>>850285
Neo Geo titles are only worth it up to a point. Anything past $3-500 you are just paying a retarded mark up and might as well get a conversion if it's going to be the exact same thing except for how it was made anyway. If people all together stopped paying over $1000 for shit and turned to a cheaper but still acceptable alternative then the prices would drop.

>> No.850305

>>850297

>would simply be great.

you underestimate the criminal heart of many resellers and gamers.

it's not about "your're not allowed to have a real copy of this game like me boy!!" it's about "I sell this stuff as legit originals and deceive honest people".

>> No.850310

>>850305
>"I sell this stuff as legit originals and deceive honest people".
No, friend, that's exactly what I'm suggesting. If the market can't be repaired, and the damage from these people can't be undone, then it's a market worth abandoning.

Shitting all over the people paying those prices in that way is EXACTLY what I'm suggesting.

>> No.850317

>>850289
Following common wisdom is usually the first way to get into a hobby. Not everyone starts off knowing which Famicom and PC Engine games to import. I don't know if it's your intent to drive people away from your precious hobby/identity but if you think people should play more under-appreciated games you could offer suggestions rather than elitism.

>> No.850327

>>850310
so far I have experienced it the other way.

people who own "legit" copies dictating the prices and telling "Hey" Mine is an original, hence the premium price".

but I do admit that neo geo scene is bereft of any logic or reasoning.

>> No.850328

>>850296
Calm down, it's basically saying "have you been under a rock?" Stop reading too much into things and take it easy.

But yes, in the US, pretty much anything you could possibly like will have a small crowd of shitheads that will ruin it in some manner.

>> No.850329

>>850317
If someone with a genuine interest in playing older games asked me for suggestions, I would give them.

I'll let you know the first time that happens.

>> No.850332

>>850329
Isn't that the point of /vr/? I've seen lots of recommendation threads here before for systems.

>> No.850337

>>850317
>implying games and music are the same thing anyway
Okay, here's one for you. It's the same thing as socially awkward teens seeing people talk about anime and le epic nippon on youtube and suddenly start living like they think they're Japanese when they know nothing. I've seen some of the dumbest shit spouted on here by people whose only real experience with older systems is faggot comedians on youtube and it's inexcusable.

>> No.850342

>>850337

>older systems is faggot comedians on youtube

I cry everytime I think about how much money those people make with GoogleAd.....

>> No.850353

>>850337
You don't know shit about anyone's experiences. Stop basing your rage on assumptions.

>> No.850376

>>850296
>assuming that everyone here is a neckbeard who wants to bone 5 year ord lolis?
Either that or cartoon horses

>> No.850386

Face it, children. You didn't see LOZ running in 87, you didn't remember when Dig Dug was hot, and you didn't ever set foot in a school computer lab with Apple IIs that had green monitor. You can never be part of that, so quit pretending.

>> No.850396

>>850386

I was there when Hitler shot himself so I am entitled to almost everything...happy?

>> No.850391

>>850337
>being this asspained about people gaining new interests from an easily accessible media
You can't stop it, just enjoy your video games and ignore the rest of them, why not enjoy yourself? Go have fun.

>> No.850394

>>850386
Not going to call everyone 90's shitbabbies? You're losing your touch.

>> No.850405

>>850386
And you don't want to share that experience with the rest of the world? Why? If you enjoyed it, why can you let someone else experience that feeling?

>> No.850408 [DELETED] 

I've been on Commodore sites where there were 30-ish oldfag dudes saying they almost wish there would be more 15 yos into the shit.

>> No.850415

>>850408

funny - I've been on retro computer meeting here in Europe and 95% of those people were like 45+.

almost no young person was interested in those computers.

>> No.850416
File: 120 KB, 1622x772, 4.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>850386
Pic related. It's you in car enthusiast form.

>> No.850421

>>850415
It depends on the computer. There are different subsets of retro computer collecting. Some of them are old crusty sysadmin types who only collect CP/M boxes and don't care about games.

>> No.850429

>>850415
Clubs are really an antiquated form of social gathering that younger people don't go for.

>> No.850432 [DELETED] 

>>850429
so it's not the computers, it's the club?

>> No.850431

>>850421

yeah - sounds about the kind of people that I met at those meetings.

looking away from me when I greet them......

>> No.850435

>>850432

I'd say both - I have been at meetings like the JagFest and although it was fun I could not relate whatsoever to the Jaguar generation...

>> No.850436

>>850405
Because kids who have grown up with a smart phone in their pocket, a 360, have no idea what the internet was like before youtube, and who think the shit that goes on in jersey shore and the numerous other examples of the fall of western society is normal will never be able to appreciate those feelings.

>> No.850439

>>850431
>>850432
Basically. If you went to a club where the primary focus was like DEC PDP-11s, then I could see why you'd get the audience like >>850415 describes.

If it were say a Commodore club, you may get 10 yos interested because they can play games instead of discuss how to connect a serial terminal.

>> No.850443

>>850435
Atari Jaguar? No clue what you're talking about.

>> No.850442

>>850436
You sound like an incredibly bitter person.

>> No.850448

Clubs by definition suck and are a terrible exclusionist thing

For example, you won't find many Gulf War or Afghanistan vets at VFW meetings, only old fucking farts from Korea and Vietnam. They don't like the younger guys or welcome them into their circle.

>> No.850449

>>850439

there were a bunch of young people attentind regular meetings though - were stuff like retro consoles are played and also modern stuff.

I had little children play Magical Chase on my DUO-R, which was heart-warming.

>> No.850450

>>850443

JagFest - Atari Jaguar meeting in Germany - lots of UK people attend it. still small though - about 50-60 people I'd say.

>> No.850452

>>850436
Okay, thanks for assuming all of those things on our generation instead of trying to undersand each other.
Have a nice day.

>> No.850454

>>850416
>muscle cars are lessening in relevance likely for these reasons- still i'd like to get one
>yeah that's true, but they're our past which is why we think they're cool- newer ones might be better but we like these

compared to

>wow this shit is great! what else is good, what would you recommend?
>fuck off and die

>> No.850462

>>850449
Of course. That was my point. Kids want to do something fun, not discuss the finer points of terminals from like 1976.

>> No.850465

>>850454
Actually that was the same thing. This fucking baby boomer idiot was in essence saying "You dumb kids weren't there so gtfo away from mah 67 Chevy"

>> No.850473

>>850448
My dad told me about going to antique radio clubs in the 80s, which were mainly populated by WWII vets and these guys were pretty hostile to anyone born after 1930. For one thing, they'd be playing like Bing Crosby or Artie Shaw tunes at their meetups. Which was fine and all because period appropriate for the radios, but they'd get POed if you wanted to play Elvis and Little Richard, let alone the Rolling Stones.

>> No.850474

>>850442
cool refutal bro

>> No.850481

I think I saw one day ULTRA RARE BUBBLE BOBBLE WITH BOX $100, I just snapped, and bought like every single system's flash cart in one foul credit card swipe.

>> No.850484

>>850465
No, he's saying 'they cost what they cost cause that's what the demand is, you're not entitled to a muscle car- if you want one, make a few sacrifices elsewhere to save'

He's even saying prices are going down because baby boomers are dying off and less people want them. The guy already has his cars.

>> No.850486

>>850474
What would be the point? He's bitter as fuck, nothing I could say would change that.

>> No.850489

>>850450
I'm surprised anyone would even have a club for such a loser system as that.

>> No.850496

>>850484
>He's even saying prices are going down because baby boomers are dying off and less people want them
That isn't what he said. He implied that "Once we're gone, you dumb kids had better stay the fuck away from our cars because you weren't there."

>> No.850491

>>850473
>wanting to listen to those rock and rolling freeballers when you can listen to the heavenly tones of the Andrews sisters

>> No.850497

>>850489

you'd get skinned alive for that ..lol

though I have to admit I did not enjoy one single game on it.

>> No.850503

>>849719
I don't really blame hipsters or LPer's or anything like that and I feel everyone has a right to enjoy video games regardless of their age or gender.

However, ebay prices are fucking ridiculous! How can I not bitch about some games costing over 100 bucks?

>> No.850505

>>850473
It's not just face-to-face clubs. I briefly posted on certain radio collecting site that was populated by the most excretable old farts. Although I didn't mention my age, just the vague comment that I was "under 45" made me persona non grata there.

That and I suggested rather offhandedly that some of those TV shows that boomers used to watch as kids weren't really that good except for nostalgia goggles.

>> No.850510

>>850496
And then his remark how "Guys my age still don't care about Model As"

Dat projection. "Because I don't like X thing, therefore no one else should either"

>> No.850513

>>850505
How sad. I've never been on a retro computer/gaming site where I met 30 yo dudes that weren't anything but friendly and eager to see new blood come into it.

>> No.850517

>>850496
I'd continue educating you, but you clearly lack reading comprehension. Another failure of the Reagan-plus era of public schooling, I suppose.

Enjoy your overblown woman emotions.

>> No.850520

>>850513
I don't know, dude. This radio site was pretty bad. Antiquated layout from like 1997 along with the extremely hostile userbase.

>> No.850524

>>850517
>Another failure of the Reagan-plus era of public schooling, I suppose

You were in those public schools too, you

>> No.850525

You're all pretentious fucks.

>> No.850530

>>850517
Oh but you are the one with no reading comprehension

>> No.850528

>>850520
Can you give me the name of said site? It mite be cool to go there for trolling purposes.

>> No.850536

>>850528
not him, but forums usually have Nazi moderation. I wouldn't bother.

>> No.850562

>>850525

Yeah but we were pretentious before it was cool

>> No.850565 [DELETED] 

Please allow me to introduce myself
I'm a man of wealth and taste
I've been around for a long, long year
Stole many a man's soul and faith
And I was 'round when Jesus Christ
Had his moment of doubt and pain
Made damn sure that Pilate
Washed his hands and sealed his fate
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guess my name
But what's puzzling you
Is the nature of my game
I stuck around St. Petersburg
When I saw it was a time for a change
Killed the czar and his ministers
Anastasia screamed in vain
I rode a tank
Held a general's rank
When the blitzkrieg raged
And the bodies stank
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guess my name, oh yeah
Ah, what's puzzling you
Is the nature of my game, oh yeah
I watched with glee
While your kings and queens
Fought for ten decades
For the gods they made
I shouted out,
"Who killed the Kennedys?"
When after all
It was you and me
Let me please introduce myself
I'm a man of wealth and taste
And I laid traps for troubadours
Who get killed before they reached Bombay
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name, oh yeah
But what's puzzling you
Is the nature of my game, oh yeah, get down, baby
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name, oh yeah
But what's confusing you
Is just the nature of my game
Just as every cop is a criminal
And all the sinners saints
As heads is tails
Just call me Lucifer
Cause I'm in need of some restraint
So if you meet me
Have some courtesy
Have some sympathy, and some taste
Use all your well-learned politesse
Or I'll lay your soul to waste, um yeah
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name, um yeah
But what's puzzling you
Is the nature of my game, um mean it, get down
Woo, who
Oh yeah, get on down
Oh yeah
Oh yeah!
Tell me baby, what's my name
Tell me honey, can ya guess my name
Tell me baby, what's my name
I tell you one time, you're to blame
Ooo, who
Ooo, who
Ooo, who
Ooo, who, who
Ooo, who, who
Ooo, who, who
Ooo, who, who

>> No.850587

>>850525

Not all of us are, just those guys that come here and talk shit about everyone else

there's quite a lot of elitism among 4chan

>> No.850630

>>849363
>I'm scared, I don't want retro gaming to be taking over by fake assholes you don't care about the games

You're a bit late.

>leretrographicsface.8bit

>> No.850638

>>850630
Of course you underage shitbabbies don't care. You weren't around in the NES era. You only do what Youtube tells you to do.

>> No.850636

ITT: Muh sekrit club guise, dont let anyone else find out about it!

>> No.850650

>>850638
Quit being so tsundere shitbabby-kun, you know you love us.

>> No.850713 [DELETED] 

The funny thing is how defensive some of you younger kids get.

>So you guys weren't around when this stuff came out.
>NUH-UH WHO CARES WE CAN APPRECIATE IT JUST AS GOOD AS YOU YOU AREN'T BETTER THAN US SHUT UP GRANDPA

>> No.850748

>>850713
Look 2 posts above you. Calling everyone "underage shitbabbies" isn't the same as simply saying "you weren't around when this came out". And why does it even matter if someone wasn't around when it came out? It's an asinine statement. You can have appreciation for something that was created before you were born.

>> No.850764

>>850748
>And why does it even matter if someone wasn't around when it came out? It's an asinine statement. You can have appreciation for something that was created before you were born.

Totally isn't the same as-

>NUH-UH WHO CARES WE CAN APPRECIATE IT JUST AS GOOD AS YOU YOU AREN'T BETTER THAN US SHUT UP GRANDPA

Top LEL.

>> No.850778

>>850713

Shut up and get fucked already

we don't care about how younger kids enjoy something

>> No.850789

>>850764
No really, answer my question. Why does it matter if you weren't around when something came out? Have you ever read a novel by Faulker? Did you enjoy it? Well too bad, unless you're 90 years old your appreciation for it is completely invalid.

>> No.850819

>retro gaming
>not just gaming

See /vr/ is called retro gaming because it pertains to retro games but why would a person identify their hobby as being retro gaming?

I play new and old stuff, so feeling special for restricting yourself to a certain time period seems weird, but it doesn't matter anyway because people should be able to do what they want. You faggots that keep talking about hipsters, fake assholes, AVGN/Game Grumps fans, and kids are the worst of the worst because that stuff isn't relevant here. It doesn't matter. None of it does.

Yes, I know it's summer but don't you have more to do than complain about people that aren't in your age group? Go outside, fucking christ

>> No.850823

>>850789
>Faulker
>implying you know what you're talking about
>being this obviously underage

>> No.850858

Unfortunately I think so. It began with people like AVGN and Spoony and then the people who copied them and came from them. Now I know people who impulse buy and collect shit, to store it in terrible conditions and never play it just so they can say they own it. One specific person I know is so on board with the trend because he thinks he's being cool/geek-chic/'the tumblr idea of nerdy' that he has 3 PS1s. No difference in model or anything. Just 3 of the same average, grey, PAL PS1. I hate him.

>> No.850880

Parts of retro gaming is becoming a mainstream fad. Mainly in relation to Nintendo products. Everything else such as Sega, SNK, and old computers are still going to remain rather niche.

>> No.850889

>>850880
>Sega
>Still rather niche
Yes, because Sonic never gained a fanbase. The people who are in it because it's a fad collect mostly Mario, it's no different with the genesis.

>> No.850902

>>850789
>Implying I'd stoop to reading Faulkner.

No, but seriously, I do enjoy a lot of classic literature. If I me and an older guy who was around when a novel I like came out were talking and he pointed out I wasn't there to see it released, I would agree with him, and then ask what it was like to be one of the first to read it.

>> No.850908

>>849570
>EVO: The Search for Eden
Do you actually have the cart? I 'discovered' this in a pile of roms a few years ago and was pleasantly surprised by it.
I was less pleasantly surprised when I looked up the price for the actual cart a few years later...

>> No.850914

>>850902
>I me

And see, old guys like me can be retarded sometimes too. Whoops.

>> No.850954

>>850889
Sonic does have a fanbase, but the less said about them the better

>> No.850962

>>850748
That's not how this guy >>850416 put it ;)

>> No.850973

Whoawhoawhoa. My mother is a very avid collector of antique dolls from the late 1800s-early 1900s period and has done it for almost 25 years. Most of the people she's met in the business were boomers who would never have see the things as a kid except in their grandma's attic.

She in fact does not like the 60s-era dolls from when she was a kid and has none except the ones she got back then.

>> No.850979

>>850973
Thus, by the logic we're seeing in here, nobody is allowed to collect dolls because their original owners have all crossed the River Styx

>> No.850985

>>850889
Sonic does have a fanbase, but I think they're pretty complacent with the thousands of rereleases Sega has done of the older games.

The real reason why people ignore the Genesis is because e-celebs generally don't talk about it. The only one that I can think of is AVGN.

>> No.850995

>>850985
AVGN is one of the only Youtube celebs who talks about non-Nintendo systems and he's even covered Atari stuff. Only exception are the occasional Yuro guys who do Amiga games.

>> No.851009

>>850995
Yeah. He's also done Commodore 64, 3DO, and I think he's also done the Neo Geo? Can't remember.

I think what makes AVGN stands out from other e-celebs is that he's actually knowledgeable about gaming and actually cares for it, and doesn't just ride Nintendo's dick. You may think his comedy is shit but I don't think it's fair to lump with him Pewdiepie and Game Grumps.

>> No.851010

>>850962
That's exactly the shit I was talking about. Flatly telling younger guys to gtfo because they didn't remember seeing Barracudas on the lot in 1967.

>> No.851021

There was a guy Aqualung who was pretty good, although he mostly just did NES. Still, his walkthroughs of Dragon Quest 1 and MM1 were classics.

>> No.851042

>>851009
ever watch the non-avgn persona videos? the guy knows his shit and the videos are fantastic without the random elementary school swearing.

>> No.851052

>>851010
But that isn't what he's saying at all you fucking tard. He's saying that people tend to form attachments to items they associate with their formative years, and when those people die off interest in those items tends to decline. Jesus christ I know someone else already tried to explain this to you earlier and you didn't get it then, so you aren't going to get it now, but really? Whether you agree or disagree with him what he's saying is not that fucking complicated.

>> No.851057

>>851052
>He's saying that people tend to form attachments to items they associate with their formative years
Ok...
>and when those people die off interest in those items tends to decline
I'm not allowed to listed to Bach because I didn't live 300 years ago?

>> No.851079

>>851057
Actually that wasn't the gist of the argument. He was arguing that not only does interest in X thing decline when Y people die (which may be true), but he then said that if you weren't alive for it, you're not allowed to be interested in the thing.

>> No.851084

>>851057
>I'm not allowed to listed to Bach because I didn't live 300 years ago?

Jesus you kids and your strawman arguments. No, no one said you 'weren't allowed' to do anything. Do whatever you want.

>> No.851085

>>851079
Specifically the part where the guy says "Why should you guys be interested in cars that are 50 years older than you!?" That was pretty much the point where he decided to actively dissuade young guys from any interest in his precious car collection.

>> No.851086

>>849363
>I'm scared, I don't want retro gaming to be taking over by fake assholes you don't care about the games, at least I have you guys. ;_;

If you haven't noticed portions of /vr/ being these people, then you most likely will never notice and have a problem.

>> No.851092

>>851052

Quit getting so mad, it's completely obvious to everyone that these feelings aren't complicated in any shape or form

they are ill-thought out and very shallow, why do you care so much about somebody's age

you guys are complete faggots

>> No.851097

>>851079
>he then said that if you weren't alive for it, you're not allowed to be interested in the thing.

You're trolling or you literally can't read. Point out exactly where in the screencap he says younger guys aren't allowed to be interested in the cars he likes. Give me the exact quote. You can't because it isn't in there. He never said that.

>> No.851095

>>851092
>they are ill-thought out and very shallow
I agree. Nostalgia has an amazing ability to delude people.

>> No.851103

>>851084
>you kids
>kids
>go back to bad son
>enjoy CoD u babby

and here we're back at square one

this is always what somebody with no argument will say, all these horrible analogies and poorly written posts are embarrassing to say the least

>> No.851104

>>851042
Some of them, but I think they're more focused towards films and not video games. I admit I haven't kept up with him in over a year so I might be wrong.

>> No.851109

>>851092
>Quit getting so mad

Not even mad bro.

>why do you care so much about somebody's age

Really don't. They're the ones getting defensive. Nobody gave a shit in the first place.

>> No.851116

>>851097
It was the whole part where he's ranting how "Hurr we lost our virginity in the back of muscle cars and blah blah blah we fixed them after school you dumb kids can never know that feel"

>> No.851117

>>851104
i noticed that too but there are a few with a different tone, mostly newer ones with mike in it.

>> No.851124

>>851109
>Really don't. They're the ones getting defensive. Nobody gave a shit in the first place.

>>851052
But that isn't what he's saying at all you fucking tard. He's saying that people tend to form attachments to items they associate with their formative years, and when those people die off interest in those items tends to decline. Jesus christ I know someone else already tried to explain this to you earlier and you didn't get it then, so you aren't going to get it now, but really? Whether you agree or disagree with him what he's saying is not that fucking complicated.

best backpedal 10/10

Nobody gave a shit? How does that explain the thread again? Let the kids make silly blogposts about Legend of Zelda, it won't affect how I enjoy other games in anyway, and you should do the same.

nobody came to /vr/ to badmouth the newer generation, we came here to talk about old video games, now shut up and PLAY IT LOUD

>> No.851123

>>851103
Enjoy your Cawadooty lol.

>> No.851129

>>851116
Yep, that was where he explained how, in his opinion, younger people wouldn't have the same emotional connection to the cars because they weren't a part of their formative years. That does not equate to him saying that younger people cannot or should not be buying those cars, which is what you were originally claiming he said.

>> No.851147

>>850995
>>851009
>>850985

Wait. Are you saying most people don't know shit about the Genesis? That's actually quite shocking considering it's one of the more popular retro non-Nintendo systems ever.

>> No.851172

>>851129
Right. It's his own shitty opinion that we shouldn't like his muscle cars because we weren't alive in the 60s same as the idiot who keeps ranting about 90s shitbabbies.

>> No.851176

That's ok. There are quite a bit of younger guys who restore prewar cars but a lot of that has to do with how much that they were priced out of 60s stuff by idiot boomers.

>> No.851189

>>851176
Nice and all, but according to some people's logic, all those 35 Fords should be thrown in the trash compacter because Grandpa Jim died

>> No.851196

>>851147
Oh no, they probably know it exists, but e-celebs don't pay much attention to it so they generally don't try collecting it to be "cool".

Now as for Neo Geo, TurboGrafx, Amiga, Commodore 64, PC-88/98, and DOS, they probably don't know those exist.

>> No.851201

>>851196
Don't forget the Spectrum

>> No.851209

>>851196
If AVGN did an episode about King's Quest, then suddenly...yeah

>> No.851220

>>851209
I dunno, I don't think AVGN holds much sway over those types of people anymore. He's done several reviews of Genesis and Atari stuff, yet they haven't suffered the effects of the retro bubble. I think they've all shifted over to Game Grumps and Pewdiepie.

>> No.851225

>>851220
Keep in mind that he's the only guy to cover them. When you have one e-celeb doing Genesis games and 10 others doing Nintendo games...strength in numbers

>> No.851294

People don't care about the Genesis because most people are under the assumption it's only got Sanic and Altered Beast. And Sega rereleasing the fuck out of Genesis collections with the same 15 games makes people think those are the only games worth playing on the system. Also most people have games that aged horribly or are shit and can't sell off for hundreds of dollars because they're shit by today's standards.

>> No.851316

>>851294
>Also most people have games that aged horribly or are shit

Examples?

>> No.851318

>>851294

>People don't care about the Genesis because

more bad posts, COMING SOON to a theater near you

>> No.851332
File: 14 KB, 256x172, 256px-Spacewar!-PDP-1-20070512-2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

If you didn't play this on the PDP-1 at MIT, you don't know SHIT about videogames.

>> No.851365

>>851332
Wish I had, that shit looks fun as fuck.

>> No.851397
File: 1.99 MB, 403x234, 1351819223680.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>850386
Are you seriously suggesting relics of the past only belong to those who lived in it? Grow up.

>> No.851401

The games everyone and their mother knows that are on the NES and the 64 are really the only true parts of the fad.
Every other system is still niche. Even plenty of NES and 64 games are still niche. So as long as it isn't Mario or Zelda, for the most part.

>> No.851408

>>850386
>you didn't ever set foot in a school computer lab with Apple IIs that had green monitor.
I did though.
As a kindergartener

>> No.851429

>>851408
My school had IBM PS/2 Model 25s and 30s. This was in the late 90s so they were already a decade old.

>> No.851442

>>851429
I was in the mid 90s when I was in kindergarten. Maybe a bit later. I think Babe came out right at that time.
In retrospect though, I'd've probably enjoyed those IBMs, especially considering my dad and I had an Aptiva at home.

>> No.851449

>>851442
They were pretty much dinosaurs against our 486, although that was already getting old by 97-98

>> No.852451

>>851316
Decap Attack

>> No.852453

>>851318
Whoops, meant to say le hip retro collectors don't care about Genesis

>> No.852528

>>849523
To me, it's not about owning the physical copies. It's about playing the games in the most accurate way. No emulation. I avoid flash carts for their spotty compatibility.

>> No.852562

Here's a tip: Just collect for obscure consoles until the "le retro XD" fad dies down. They only care about Nintendo consoles and super big name stuff like Neo Geo.

Go pick up an NGPC, Saturn, Colecovision, PC-Engine, MSX or something else with a huge, cheap, and awesome library that isn't being hounded by faggots and wait for the price on SNES, N64, etc games to go down when these losers sell their copies.

>> No.852648
File: 50 KB, 420x337, 1363351518201.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>852453
>le hip retro collectors
>the "le retro XD" fad

fuck me

>> No.852654

My take is this...

Retro gaming is becoming popular now because people that played them originally are in their late 20's and 30's-40's now. They have the income desired to start a hobby. I suppose there also might be a little bit of a hipster trend with the kiddies, I can't say one way or another.

I believe it will drop significantly once they get a taste of it and move onto other pastures.

>> No.852668

this happened years ago. at least since 07.

>> No.852676
File: 56 KB, 350x197, italianspiderman.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>mfw I live in a part of the South that's one of those weird little cities that's big enough to not be a trailer park yokelfest, but not big enough to be modern or cool in any capacity, so I can still get old games for really cheap because the retro bubble didn't come here

There's no retro pricegouging here, hipsters wearing Hot Topic NES shit (We don't have hipsters/bronies/fedoras or any kind of famous genre of autists. Period.), or roving squads of Happy Merchants sniping yard sales for retro vidya. It's bittersweet because we're all still stuck in 2006 (computer competence is still pretty low and my smartphone is magical alien tech to these people) but at least retro price and availability is like it was before the bandwagoners fucked shit up.

I got a Dreamcast, two controllers (with VMUs), Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 and Marvel vs. Capcom for 15 bucks not very long ago, and got every single Nintendo Power from the first one up to #203 (New Super Mario Bros. May 2006 issues) for ten bucks. That shit weighed a TON.

>> No.852730

>>852676
You should leverage your unique position in the time stream to funnel some of that stuff our way and turn a profit. You can make money without going full ebay.

>> No.852737

These so-called retro collectors only give a shit about NES and SNES games, because they look hip and cool. Meanwhile, you can still acquire boxed copies of Monkey Island 1 and other precious gems, for like $15.

>> No.852748

>>852730
inb4 5 million greentexted "reseller scum" posts

>> No.852821

>>852730
>"reseller scum"

>> No.854598

>>852562
>>851196

I doubt the Neo Geo AES is a place for newbies or "hip kids" trying to join the retro wave.

Neo Geo AES is a world of tears, horrors and pain......

>> No.854635

>>852737
It's because NES and SNES games are fairly mainstream, and because more people owned them when they were a kid.
Nintendo is still relevant these days when Sega died years ago, so naturally they're going to flock to the system they know better.

>> No.855082

>>854598
Is that because of that Dion guy who sold bootlegs made in his garage as legit product?

>> No.855180

can we stop having threads about whether or not your fuckin' hobby might go mainstream? My childhood is at stake here and everytime i see one of these posts you harsh my nostalgia. So quit fucking up my nostalgia high

>> No.855196

>>849363

>muh secret club

Also, looking at /vr/, the hobby is already filled with assholes who don't care about the games. If I see one more thread bitching about not being able to afford Earthbound (because if you cared about the game itself, you'd just emulate the damn thing and accept the fact that some things we want are out of reach), I'm going to drop kick an elderly woman.

>>855180

Seconding this, though I come here to find out about older stuff that I have yet to experience.

>> No.856507

>>855082

as if it was only Dion.....

starting now with collecting Neo Geo (AES at least) is probaby not the greatest idea..if you're not rich and how a lots of connections to get legit stuff.

and the whole scene has turned into paranoid freaks..

>> No.856515

Why does everything have to be a community?

Next you'll all be wearing uniforms in sega blue, calling yourself the NES-S, waving Atari flags and announcing the 8-bit Reich.