[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 108 KB, 484x430, snatcher.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
847473 No.847473 [Reply] [Original]

which is the best version for Snatcher?
the PC Engine CD or the Sega CD?

>> No.847493

Sega CD is the only English version. I only speak English. It's the best version.

>> No.847495

>>847493
Wait, really? I could have sworn there was a second version in English, and it wasn't a patch. Oh well.

>> No.847498

Sega CD because it adds the other act I suppose

>> No.847504

>>847493
I know there is a fan translation for one of the japanese version.
And there is only one reason of why someone would make a fan translation of a japanese game when it already got released in english: because that version is better.

I don't remember for what console though.

>> No.847530

>>847504
Never heard of an English patch for Snatcher. Maybe you're thinking I the Policenauts patch?

The Sega CD version looks better and has amazing voice acting for the time.

>> No.847542

>>847530
He's probably thinking of the MSX version or SD Snatcher. There doesn't exist a fan translation of the CD versions. But with the Sega CD version being as good as it is, there's little reason for anyone to bother making one.

>> No.847547

>>847530
fuck, you are right. It was probably Policenauts.
>>847542
yep, then he Sega CD is the best one.

thanks.

>> No.847548

>>847504
There seems to be a project to patch SD Snatcher which is very different.

>> No.847658

>>847473
The best version of Snatcher is SD Snatcher. It's for the true... uh... Judgement Uninfected Naked Kind and Execute Rangers.

The Pc Engine version lacks the last act of the story. Of course the Sega CD one is the best.

>> No.847715

>>847473
Ok, I'm speaking to
A)Snatcher fans only
or
B)collectors
IS SNATCHER ON SEGA CD WORTH THE CASH?
I seldom overpay for vidya, only purchased 5 games over the $100 mark (and sadly, all within the past year)
It tends to be one of the most expensive titles out there, now yo-yoing in the 200-300. How much would you pay for it? What do you think is a fair price? Does it even deserve to be "over priced" to begin with?
Just wanting food for thought.

>> No.847760

>>847715
Snatcher has been expensive since around the time MGS 1 came out and people started going crazy over Hideo Kojima. I first heard about it in 2001 and it was around $150-200 even then. It's been gradually going up to $300 like you said for the last year or two, but it's always been steady at the average of 200, sometimes more depending on how many copies are on eBay at a given time (It's usually not many, which is why its value has gone up. People who buy it tend to hang onto their copies for obvious reasons).

I'd say $200 is fair for Snatcher. It's a legitimately rare game (Jeremy Blaustein once estimated that they only shipped about 2,000 copies of the game.) but anything over that is pushing it, especially $300. You can rest assured that your copy will remain as valuable as what you paid for it, if not more later.

>>847658
Only the original MSX and PC-88 versions are missing the third act. The PC Engine version (Not counting SD Snatcher) is the first release with the ending Kojima wrote intact. The Sega CD just added more user interaction to this part of the game, though none of the additions in this version were supervised by Kojima himself.

>> No.848526

>>847715

I played and beat Snatcher on a burnt copy and bought a legit copy for $90 shipped later. I'm happy with the purchase. Burnt copies have a hard time syncing the audio so there is a reason to get a legit copy if you really really care.

You should burn it or emulate and see if you think it's worth having on your shelf. Sega CD plays burnt games without any modding so there's no reason to not just throw a CD-R down and see what you think.

>> No.848537

>>847760
What country are you from? I stopped watching Snatcher after I bought my copy for $90 shipped. And that was just a few years ago. Last I looked which was maybe last year they were around $150. I'm in the States.

>Just checked ebay
Holy shit the prices you're talking about are what it's going for on ebay right now. Cheapest I see is $219. Man I bought mine at the right time.

>> No.848547

>>848537
I'm from the States, too. Was your copy complete with the case and booklet? If so, you got it for a steal. Going back in 2005 or so when I became interested in getting a Sega CD and the game, complete copies have always been at least $150 for one, and usually more. I managed to finally get one for about $180 about two years ago.

Its value goes up and down, depending, like I said. Early 2012 I noticed copies were going for $200 loose and $300-400 complete. That was a time when there were only like one or two auctions of the game at any given time, though. There seem to be plenty available now, so I'm surprised it's still as expensive as it is.

>> No.848565

>>848547
I bought mine some time in 2010. I'd been following it for a long time and it was always around $90. Yes my copy is complete and in great condition. There's a tiny blemish on the front of the manual that's hard to see unless it's pointed out.

>> No.848569

>>848565
http://videogames.pricecharting.com/game/sega-cd/snatcher

Huh, I'll be damned, you're right. There seemed to be a lull in 2010. Lucky.

>> No.849458

>>847504
are you shitting me the MSX fan translation is awful

>> No.849470

never played that game, just stopping in to say the gif in OP's post is just incredible