[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 32 KB, 360x288, consoles.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
840694 No.840694 [Reply] [Original]

Alright, who wants /vr/ to be a better place? How do you think it can become a better place?

This is meta, but I think people should have a chance to post things in a thread where it doesn't derail discussion about a game or console. It's a much slower board and I for one have been here from the first day.

Is there anything the people who've been here from day one would like to say and elaborate on?
Is there anything the people who just came here would like to say and elaborate on?

There's a big disagreement and nobody is really wanting to get to the bottom of it. So can we talk about it?

>> No.840707

/vr/ became full of underaged plebs and "hipsters" after the first month. End of story.

>> No.840737

>>840707

I don't like this discriminatory age thing. Everyone has the potential to contribute.

There's a small part of me that knows what you're talking about though.

alright.. batter up, waiting for the next posts

>> No.840743

>>840726
>hurr let's ban discussion about how to achieve the highest quality picture
>hurr let's ban discussion of video games
>make me mod plz

Perfect example of why /vr/ has gone to shit.

>> No.840765

>>840743
>hurr let's ban discussion about how to achieve the highest quality picture
Sorry but it's become shitposting
>hurr let's ban discussion of video games
Sorry but Amiga threads are nothing but US vs Yurop shitposting
>make me mod plz
I'd do a better job than the current janitor. For one thing, all those Doom/GC threads would 404 in under 10 replies.

>> No.840774

>>840726

>Ban all mention of Amigas since only Yuros care about them and they devolve into shitposting always
I've seen good Amiga threads. You have to give them time considering that anyone who grew up with an Amiga probably has kids or a job.

>Hipster, edgy, autism
I agree. We need to use more words. Be descriptive. Also calling someone a hipster gives off a feeling of false superiority. We're all on 4chan anyway.

>5. Ban Doom/Game Center/AVGN spam
But Doom discussion is good. I've even been helped countless times in the threads by OP. What's wrong with that? They also organize games here.

I'm all for Game Center because its retro but don't like seeing AVGN threads devolve into rounds of shitflinging.

>> No.840794

I'd really like to see an end to the "did I do gud" threads, as well as price check threads. I was thinking of having them combined with the BST thread to reduce the amount of these clogging up the board.

>> No.840802

>>840774
>You have to give them time considering that anyone who grew up with an Amiga probably has kids or a job
Oh look, another one of these clueless anons who thinks Amiga fanboys are nostalgic 30 yos instead of what they really are which is edgy kids who weren't actually alive for that era. Hence all the shitposting. There's nothing resembling a mature adult in there.

Just how new are you?

>But Doom discussion is good. I've even been helped countless times in the threads by OP. What's wrong with that? They also organize games here

Go to /vg/ with that shit

>> No.840806

I would add limbo games to /vr/, no one talks about the gamecube or the original xbox on /v/, they seem to love ps2 though... I also would love to discuss GBA games here

>> No.840807

The problems that affect /vr/ are, in my opinion, some of the same problems that effect 4chan as a whole. Namely the attitude that it's acceptable to simply insult a poster or their opinion without providing any actual reasoning behind your position. I feel like people use "hurr it's 4chan" as an excuse to be assholes all the time, which really degrades the quality of discussion more than anything else.

As for what people can do to change this situation, I don't think there's much we can do except for provide examples of high quality, civil discussions, and hope that this type of posting catches on.

>> No.840812

>>840786
>Oh look, another one of these clueless anons who thinks Amiga fanboys are nostalgic 30 yos instead of what they really are which is edgy kids who weren't even alive for that era.
>Just how new are you?

This is hilarious, I've been here since the first day.

>amiga fanboys
>edgy kids

You gotta label everybody that likes something, huh?

If you don't want to accept that Amiga threads have as much potential as anything else then so be it. If nobody replies then it will 404. Usually OP will post images to gather interest and maybe somebody will reply to it but ehh.

>Go to /vg/ with that shit
The Doom threads wouldn't survive on /vg/.

>> No.840816

>>840807
>he thinks there can ever be civil discussion on this site

>> No.840820

>>840812
>This is hilarious, I've been here since the first day
Then you ought to know what I say

I think of every ten Amiga threads, maybe two at most aren't shitposting

>> No.840823

i'd like it to be possible and easy to have an actual normal conversation

don't post venom or off-topic, just don't do it

>> No.840835

>>840812
>This is hilarious, I've been here since the first day
Sure you were

>> No.840836

>>840707
Well this sucks to hear. I was hoping for a better board then /v/ for game discussion but I guess I will have to wait.

>> No.840846

>>840836
I know the board is not perfect... but it is nowhere as near as bad as /v/ is.

>> No.840848

>>840765
>make me mod plz
>I'd do a better job than the current janitor.

Go to fucking Reddit or twitch please. Any one here who begs to be mod should kindly fuck off.

>> No.840853

>>840846
only because it has fewer users

>> No.840862

>>840820
of course. there's none or very few guys who actually had Amigas back in the day because they're all dead now or quit using 4chan or whatever. it's mostly edgy teens who watched some Youtube nerd play with an Amiga and went Hey so kewl.

>> No.840865

>>840835
>Sure you were

What is this? I don't have to prove anything to anyone.

I remember when things were tranquil and informative and that good is enough criteria to want /vr/ to be good.

Stuff can be like that again but it takes more than just a few guys. Have you seen the retro repair threads? Godlike. That's a perfect example for how good /vr/ can be.

>> No.840878

>>840865
>I remember when things were tranquil and informative
For the first three days. Then the /v/ kiddies found the board.

>> No.840879

>>840862
What popular Youtube nerds cover the Amiga? The only one I can think of is Ashens.

>> No.840880
File: 47 KB, 418x421, 1337742733988.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>840862
>it's mostly edgy teens who watched some Youtube nerd play with an Amiga and went Hey so kewl.

Can we stop projecting onto people like this? Holy crap, this is not a hard thing to do.

>> No.840890

>>840862
Either that or edgy teens who use Amiga threads as an excuse for US vs Yuropoor shitposting

>> No.840892

>>840846
/v/ is just horrible sometimes that I have to go around other boards to see whats up when I don't want to. All what /v/ has been the past few weeks is:

>MGS thread
>LOU threads
>MGS thread
>some moron posting tumbler black booty
>MGS thread
>Lets talk about why you have no gf
>Based Kojima thread
>Why no hayter
>More MGS threads
>constant Xbone wins hahaha

It's getting tiring and I just want to talk about a variety of vidya since I have been playing since I was 4 on nes to present.

>> No.840929

>>840812
>The Doom threads wouldn't survive on /vg/
Why not?

>> No.840941

>>840862
what? why would guys who are only like 30 be dead?

>> No.840948
File: 197 KB, 500x660, 1349661427799.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>840890
>edgy teens

So what should we be more worried about?
The illuminati or edgy teens? Anyway..

>"did I do gud"

Always thought these threads were confusing as hell. Someone always has their own value of how much something is worth. If you got what you wanted (did you want the box and manual, I don't know?) and if it works then you shouldn't need to feel validated by what Anon thinks of you. If you have it in your head that you didn't do good then maybe asking Anon is a good idea..

but then there's always

>anon called me a fag for spending $50
Oops. Game Over.

>> No.840952

>>840807
Agreed.

Also, I personally avoid any threads that are "Genesis vs SNES" or "Sonic 3 Carnival Night Zone Barrel"

Also, +1 ban: hipster, edgy, autism. The contribute nothing to getting anyone's point across.

>> No.840964

>>840941
The neckbeard lifestyle. Think of all the anons on /r9k/ and other boards who achieved wizard status and died alone amid a pile of jizz-crusted MLP dolls.

>> No.840981

>>840836
>actually taking some obvious troll seriously
I would kindly advise you to not do that

also, the only think I think that should change is that dreamcast should be allowed again, and mods need to crackdown on this influx of /b/tards that seems to have started yesterday

>> No.840983

I think CRT, Doom, BST, and rummage sale threads should be sticky. If you don't likr them just hide them,and any stragglers should be locked with a reason but not deleted to "raise awarness".

>> No.840985

>>840816
>I feel like people use "hurr it's 4chan" as an excuse to be assholes all the time

>> No.840986

>>840981
>mfw we soon start having >tfwnogf threads

>> No.840994

>>840952
this, also "so /vr/ why do you/don't you like x" and filter threads should be bannable because all they are every used for is trolling

>> No.840996

>>840986
The janitor has been getting lazier this last week. He used to be Mr. Vicious Nazi always deleting and post blocking everyone.

>> No.841004

>>840996
maybe nazi janitor got bumped off the team and now no one cares about this board ;-;

>> No.841005

>being this much of an edgy autistic hipster
Fuck this thread.

>> No.841010

>>840985
this, people don't even discuss things most of the time and try arguing with you even if you are agreeing with them.

>> No.841021

how about only ban not retro and everything else is fair game. I laugh my ass off at the "shitposting" I dont know why people get so bothered by it

Before Anonymous !!vPRlrndO9G8
That guy is the fucking lulz. Deleting shit period is fucking police state bullshit. People who cry about that shit posting here don't even belong on the internet. Janitor here is a total fagget too deletes legit discussions half the time because of his personal feelings.

>> No.841028

>>841004
I think he approached burnout point like all janitors eventually do

>> No.841029

>>841021
he was the faggot trying to say he sold his 1001 model for 10 grand lol

>> No.841034

>>841021
>Janitor here is a total fagget too deletes legit discussions half the time because of his personal feelings

I agree; one time I made a thread that went ">tfw no qt gf to play MK64 with" and he post blocked me for this completely vidya-related topic.

>> No.841037

If you want touchy feely everyone agrees zelda is the best game evar go to leddit

>> No.841039

>>841021
>People who cry about that shit posting here don't even belong on the internet. Janitor here is a total fagget too deletes legit discussions half the time because of his personal feelings.

agree 100%.

>> No.841041

The first few DAYS of /vr/ were great. It was like, "hey remember beat 'em ups?!" That changed fast. I think a lot of the problem is inherent in retro games - at this point it's mostly about buying and hoarding them, not so much about playing or discussing them. It becomes an e-peen thing whether it's "collectionfags" or "emufags" or "CRT mustard race" or whatever the flavor of the minute is. It's the same mentality that makes boards like neo-geo.com and shmups.com so insufferable.

>> No.841042

I think there should be a short period of harsh moderation. Delete and tempban obvious shitposters (ie people who come into threads to literally only insult people, people who post copypasta, or people who try to derail Amiga threads into country wars). This should curb the shitposters, and then once it settles down, simmer down the shitty moderation back to regular levels.

>> No.841045

>>841029
and made his super nintendo play sega genesis games. ummm no sorry that was n64 play SNES games cause it had better framerates and they are both nintendo. Of course his dad helped with his soldering iron

>> No.841046
File: 139 KB, 273x220, 1343242555746.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>840994

So what you're saying is things that haven't worked before can't work ever? The problem isn't the subject matter. It's the way people keep approaching it, and I've seen how people approach it.

>calling everything shit
>heavy handed posts about why another person's opinion is bad
>no i'm not poor, you are poor, shut up stoopid

Change your gears when posting on /vr/. There's no battle or race. It's just vidya games and we shouldn't hate our fellow posters based on anything they say, because there's the possibility of influencing them to change their position.

Now, you can't change someone's position by calling them poor and stupid. We need to better our approach.

>> No.841053

>>841041
The unfortunate but inevitable result. Most of /vr/ was going to be underage kiddies who worship James Rolfe and never actually were alive to experience NES or C64 or Amiga or DOS games when they were new.

>> No.841056

Well, there are a few problems I've noticed with /vr/, and I've been here since the start.

First of all, trying to treat retro gaming as an exclusionary activity; just because someone is young doesn't mean they can't share in the nostalgia: I'm 20 and grew up with an Atari 7800, SNES, and a 486 system, and started gaming at 3. Is my nostalgia for that stuff any less valid?

Second, the retro police need to stop. A lot of threads start out really well, but because they are borderline (PC games from 2000, Dreamcast, hell, even late 90s stuff), devolve into "SAGE FOR NOT RETRO" shitposting and arguments. I mean, I understand against posting stuff from the late 00s on here, but flipping your shit because something posted is 13 years old on the PC (instead of 14 years old or 13 years old on a 4th gen console) needs to stop.

Also, this is just a preference, but I really wish there were more PC threads on here. I know a lot of people grew up with the consoles, but it seemed like there were a lot more PC/Amiga/C64 threads in the early days of /vr/.

>> No.841059

>>841056
PC threads are usually ok, but I've rarely ever seen an Amiga/C64 thread not become shitposting in under 5 replies.

>> No.841061

>>841056
>First of all, trying to treat retro gaming as an exclusionary activity; just because someone is young doesn't mean they can't share in the nostalgia

There's a certain troll here who calls everyone who doesn't consciously remember the 80s "stupid 90s shitbabbies"

>> No.841068

>>841056
>Second, the retro police need to stop. A lot of threads start out really well, but because they are borderline (PC games from 2000, Dreamcast, hell, even late 90s stuff), devolve into "SAGE FOR NOT RETRO" shitposting and arguments. I mean, I understand against posting stuff from the late 00s on here, but flipping your shit because something posted is 13 years old on the PC (instead of 14 years old or 13 years old on a 4th gen console) needs to stop.
A lot of that was born due to the Dreamcast "ruling". I wager here in a few weeks it will settle back down

>> No.841070

>>841045
hahah forgot about that, did he get banned?

>> No.841073

We used to have a problem here with age wars, but I think it stopped because all the oldfags got frustrated and left

>> No.841074
File: 368 KB, 1008x955, 1354750882707.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>841061
So then we know the best thing to do is ignore it. Really that's what we need to do if we want things to get better here. Guy shits on you for being a underage hipster? Leave him hanging and focus on the thread.

>> No.841075

>>841068
that dreamcast ruling was fucking dumb DC was 1999. Like I dont think its that retro myself but where the hell else are you going to get to talk about dreamcast? I don't care for it myself but I have no beef with DC fans or DC threads. The rules were fine as everything launched pre 2000. Why did they fuck with it anyway?

>> No.841081

>>841070
No I was calling him retarded earlier here lol
>>836008

>> No.841083

>>841073
most people here over 25 couldn't give a fuck what age you are. It's people hovering around 20 that get this weird trolling urge about age elitism.

>> No.841086

I know you can be into retro games at any age, and maybe I'm biased because I'm a bit older but:

1) You don't have to be in your 30s to enjoy these games, but please at least act a bit mature to be civil.

2) If you aren't old enough to be around when X console or games were around, don't pretend to know everything about the period because you regularly visit ilovertrogaming.tumblr.com

3) Not everyone experienced the period equally, depending on your geography (Amiga, Sega Master System, PC Engine, etc) or choice of venue (home console, handheld, PC)... your nostalgia glasses will be different than others, please respect that.

Take your opinion of that nation, and check it at the door, because if you miss out on some cool games because only "so and so nation was really into that machine", the only one being hurt is yourself.

Retro gaming, is something more than just gaming, it's about reminiscing and about discovering new gems you missed at that time and yes sometimes it's even a little self discovery.

>> No.841090

>>841083
Actually it was 16 yos fighting with 30 yos until the latter all left for AtariAge or 420chan or whatever

>> No.841091

>>841053
why the fuck does that matter? Why can't I, being born in 89, be a fan of music from the 30s? Why can't I like films from the 80s? Why does the newness of something count for anything?

I think the elitist tone in your post is also something degrading the value of this board. That's like saying my opinion on any SNES game is invalid because I was a Genesis kid. And that even if I had played a certain game last summer for the first time in my life that my opinion on it as a piece of software running on hardware is less valid than your just because you let your opinion soak for your maturation.

I call shenanigans

>> No.841095

>>841086
>Not everyone experienced the period equally, depending on your geography (Amiga, Sega Master System, PC Engine, etc) or choice of venue (home console, handheld, PC)... your nostalgia glasses will be different than others, please respect that

>talk about PC games (what I mostly did as a kid)
>N64 trolls: "Hurr u had no friends neckbeard MK64 ftw!"

Every time!

>> No.841098

>>840929
They already tried it, there was simply a lack of interest. It was a veritable graveyard.

>> No.841106

>>841068
It's always been here. I remember when they moved the year up to 2001, and then back to 1999, and someone made a Sims 1 (released in early 2000 for Windows 98 [a 1997 platform]) thread that got 250 posts.

A few loud shitposters complained on /q/ and got the thread deleted and the banhammer thrown down.

Honestly, the 2001 + 5th gen rule was a lot better, at least for PC games. It allowed for discussion of a lot of games that /v/ says are too old, coincided with the end of the 5th generation better, and led to less shitposting about "NOT RETRO", as you could talk about most sequels to 90s PC games, such as Thief 2, Diablo II, Baldur's Gate II, and Red Alert 2.

>> No.841113

>>841075
>but where the hell else are you going to get to talk about dreamcast?
See that logic also applies to Gamecube, Xbox and GBA/early DS. That is why we are seeing the more intense "not retro" shitposting because there is that anger of "if I can't talk about my systems, no one can talk about theirs!"

>Why did they fuck with it anyway?
They made the mistake of thinking most of /vr/ would follow the rules of reading comprehension. It was before 2000 but it was a 6th generation system so by the sticky it didn't count a retro. However many people really wanted to talk about it so anons clung to the "before 2000" rule and even tried to claim it was a loop hole for the DC(and that made no since because the "6th gen doesn't count" part is moot then)
Mods would have saved drama if they just posted
>"We count retro gaming as consoles, computer games, arcade games (including pinball) and any other forms of video games on platforms launched in 1999 or earlier and are not sixth generation."

>> No.841114

it's just as well. /vr/ are casual AVGN worshiper plebs anyway. Like you'll get 450 post FF threads but like talking about CGA PC games and get nothing.

>> No.841117

There is no saving /vr/.

4chan's culture actively encourages shitposting. Everyone's anonymous, so there's no punishment whatsoever for barging in a thread with intelligent discussion and shitting things up, or responding to people's posts with asinine drivel like "LOL SHITBABBY xD".

People are also, for whatever reason, rather protective of their opinions regarding video games, so if you make a thread insulting Zelda, CRTs, filters, Earthbound, whatever, then people will come to emotionally defend their opinions, and the threads become like flies on a pile of shit. Note: There is nothing wrong with discussion whether or not a game is good, but there's a difference between legitimate criticisms and going "LOL PRETENTIOUS HIPSTER BULLSHIT". Most threads of that nature fall into the latter.

The only way a board doesn't fall into shit is if it has a very niche audience, like /m/. For whatever reason, the more niche the audience, the less shitposting there is. Unfortunately, retro gaming is no longer niche, it's mostly popularized. That's why the only good threads these days tend to be about obscure stuff like old-ass message boards, Eastern Minds, or Japanese PCs.

So in short, there's nothing we can except wait a few years and hope retro gaming stops being popular.

>> No.841119

>>841090
You can't see the ages her anon you just buy into it because that is what you want it to be. Most oldfags are going to proud kids want to play good vintage games, they are not going to shun or scold you for liking them.

>> No.841120

>>841119
Didn't you see the butthurt 30 yo who keeps raging about 90s shitbabbies?

>> No.841128

>>841091
gb2tumblr

>> No.841138

>>841114
>start a thread about fixing a ROB the Robot I found.
>first 30+ post were "give him a banana hurptahurr"
>finally get two legit answers
>they get shitposted on for not following the Banana shit
>rest of the thread is just shitpost arguing about AVGN
I pretty much just accepted at that point that /vr/ is just a slower r/Games

>> No.841140

>>841091
>why the fuck does that matter?
It shouldn't.

With the nature of emu and the internet, anyone can go back and enjoy these games even if they were born in the 90s. They might not have the nostalgia for those older games, they likely wouldn't know about the "gaming culture" at the time from any kind of personal experience, but that doesn't stop them from being able to play, discuss and enjoy these games just as much as anyone else.

On the note of age elitism, I've noticed that there's a habit for people to not believe someone when they mention their age/first game/whatever, as well. /vr/ by its very nature is going to have an older user base because it's about older media; it really shouldn't shock people to find people in their thirties or older on this board. It's stupid how many times someone admitting their age leads to "fucking liar underage b&!" shitposting.

I also agree with >>841041. Been here since day one, and /vr/ for the first week or so was a lot different than it is now. Actual gaming discussion seems to get drowned out by crt generals, craigslist generals, filters, all that. Not to mention the same few games getting discussed to death. I won't list them because everyone here should know what they are by now.

>> No.841141

>>841113

Except the Dreamcast is the last line in a dead company's systems. The last games came out in NA in 2001 (not including the two companies who release a new DC game once a year). I just don't get why people are so anal about it not being included. If it were included, a lot of the rage would stop. Also the slippery slope argument is faulty at best. There is no reason why people would think that suddenly GCN/PS2/Xbox is suddenly retro because DC is. Nobody contests that those systems aren't retro.

>> No.841145

>>841114
I've been in threads like that on vogons.zetafleet. Most of them were more discussion about the technical quirks of CGA PCs than the gameplay of Alley Cat or whatever.

>> No.841146

>>841120
I saw a bunch of trolls trying to stir the pot.
Were you one of them?

>> No.841148

>>841140
>/vr/ by its very nature is going to have an older user base because it's about older media; it really shouldn't shock people to find people in their thirties or older on this board

The oldfags mostly all left after the first week or two. I'd be surprised if any are still left.

>> No.841149

Be civil. It's so easy.

Do your research before stating things.

>> No.841151

>>841138
What do bananas have to do with ROB? I've watched the AVGN episode and I don't recall anything that involved bananas.

Polite sage for off-topic.

>> No.841153

>>841140

I disagree. /vr/ is a quality board. There is a lot of discussion to be had, and a lot of new submissions. Take for example the thread yesterday where a guy dumped a bunch of beta materials for everyone, or the week before where I saw a guy scan his Game Gear boxes and manuals and posted for everyone.

Just because you aren't interested in discussing the SMS or pixel art from old computer games doesn't mean those threads aren't discussed. If all you focus on is the filters and CRTs, then I think that you aren't seeing the full scope of what /vr/ has encompassed thus far.

>> No.841159

>>841148
I'm still here, but I don't usually advertise it for the reasons described in my post. I also mostly lurk when in the first month I was an active poster, particularly in the console/cart repair threads. I don't post as much anymore.

>>841153
On the contrary, I was an active participant in the pixel art threads, though I missed the SMS thread. That's unfortunate; I grew up with that console.

Doesn't change what I do see primarily filling up the front page, though. Again, this is just my personal experience, anyway.

>> No.841165

>>841141
>I just don't get why people are so anal about it not being included
I agree but I also don't get why people are so anal about it being included. Half of it's game library was arcade ports before 2000 and the other half was mostly PS/N64/PC ports, short of it's hardware it's really not needed to be allowed to talk about it.
> If it were included, a lot of the rage would stop.
Not really, you just get the flip and it be shitposting and trolling of why it shouldn't count. It be one evil for another. It's only worth it if you were just that desperate to talk about DC on /vr/
>There is no reason why people would think that suddenly GCN/PS2/Xbox is suddenly retro because DC is.
It's not so much slippery slope is it just a bunch of game systems can't be talk about on /v/ with success, you let DC in and you let that kind of drama in.
>Nobody contests that those systems aren't retro.
But here we are contesting DC should count, it came out only 1 year earlier than PS2 and 2 of GC/Xbox
Your logic is it died young so lets talk about it. It merits it nothing as retro.

>> No.841167

>>841159
Mentioning your age just provokes shitposting. Don't do it.

>> No.841170

>>841159

I use catalog. I don't even know or care where the front page is anymore. Does it really matter?

>> No.841171

>>841148
Where are you even getting this logic?
Just because people aren't responding to your shitposts doesn't mean they are not here anymore.

>> No.841174

>>841148
I'm still here.

>> No.841175

>>841171
The rapid deterioration of the board, which proves that there's no mature adults left here

>> No.841176
File: 41 KB, 300x370, nazi-gold-bar1_7972.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>841153
this everyone is too butthurt because its a slower version of /b/. TONS of shit but the gold is the sweetest nazi gold you could ever uncover. I've been on 4chan since 2006 so I'm used to sifting through shit. The good threads on here are soo good

>> No.841178

>>841174
You already mentioned that four posts above

>> No.841182

>>841175
Welcome to High School being out in North America. /vr/ was at least more tolerable before during the night after the kids were in bed. Can't wait to see what this place looks like in August.

>> No.841183

>>841158
I'm 35 and married with a new baby. I have a sweet basement but I don't find much time to dwell in it, unfortunately.

>> No.841185

>>841182
>calling others kids
Dat projection!

>> No.841186

>>841178
That wasn't me.

>> No.841187

>>841183
Lemme guess. Is the kid's mom Pinkie Pie?

>> No.841189

>>841182
4chan gets a very negligible traffic increase during the summer. The whole summerfag phenomena is just a myth.

>> No.841192

>>841175
>no mature adults left here
>being old means you're mature
I work at a retro store and the most obnoxious customers I get are over 30, they are like edgy teenagers trying to act like they are up to date with memes and shit.

>> No.841197

>>841187
See this is when the shitposting starts
It's just /v/ shitposters trying to find new turf to get a argument going.

>> No.841198

>>841140
>/vr/ by its very nature is going to have an older user base because it's about older media
I consider that bunk because my mom is into collecting antique dolls and they're all at least 50 years older than her. She's never met a single person who had the things when they were new because all those people are dead.

So do not assume necessarily that the people engaged in X hobby were only those who lived through it

>> No.841204

>>841192
To be fair, if you're 30 and still on here, you're probably a wizard anyway

>> No.841205

>>841189
I think moot said it was a negligible traffic decrease over the summer

>> No.841208

>>841192
>I work at a retro store and the most obnoxious customers I get are over 30, they are like edgy teenagers trying to act like they are up to date with memes and shit
Huh? This is a problem? Would you rather they used outdated slang from 25 years ago like "rad" and "bummer"?

>> No.841209

>>841189
>he thinks traffic has anything to do with userbase

>> No.841210

>>841187
If I were to pick a pony she looks most like I suppose it would be Pinkie Pie.

>> No.841212

>>841192
I'm surprised there's anyone that old still left. Very few neckbeards live longer than 29-30.

>> No.841213

>>841167
I know. Which is why I said I don't advertise it.

>>841170
I suppose not.

>>841198
Way to not read the bulk of my post saying that in today's age of technology ANYONE can be into this hobby and that the age of the person has no bearing on whether or not they can enjoy and engage in the hobby itself.

>> No.841214

>>841192
Back 6 years ago I agree with you but it's 2013. I talk to people in their 50's that go to 4chan.
To even think the BS that you have to be socially shun after a certain age to be on 4chan is just silly now.

>> No.841216

>>841210
Thank you for subtly admitting your clopper fetish

Thread over, go home people

>> No.841218

>>841214
>I talk to people in their 50's that go to 4chan
A shame; you'd think their generation would have had fewer wizards

>> No.841220

>>841208
I rather them just not put on a show to try and impress kids making them think they are in the know.

>> No.841224

>>841220
That's the great thing about the Internet age. You can always remain current with your pop culture/slang knowledge while in past times once you got out of HS you lost it

>> No.841225

>>841212
Two of our regulars are lawyers and I'm pretty sure one is some sort of medical profession. One of the lawyers comes in with is wife and daughter regularly.

>> No.841226

>>841225
I'm real sure they're truthful about that, Anon

>> No.841229

>>841192

You work at a retro store? I feel pity for you

>> No.841230

>>841225
>One of the lawyers comes in with is wife and daughter regularly
do you ever ask him if he plays Find the Snake In Daddy's Pants with his daughter? fun game.

>> No.841231

>>841212
Why is it so hard for anons to get that short of the bible belt most people have zero issue with gaming anymore? My brother is 39 with a wife and kid as well as running a business and he plays games in his free time.

>> No.841232

>>841224
Yeah...I know. Edgy teens now can't stand it when their grandma sends them an email with LOL and WTF in it.

>> No.841235

>>841220
What makes you so sure we're not in the know? If you worked anything approaching full time at the retro stores in my area you would know and respect me as they do.

>>841216
Even though I watch cartoons all the time

>> No.841237

>>841209
The common belief around here is that once summer hits, there's an influx of kids who get out of school and shit up 4chan because they're stupid.

With an influx, we'd except higher traffic. Except there isn't. Therefore, the summerfag myth is incorrect.

>> No.841238

>>841220
You'll get to that age where you are older yet want to still have moments in your life where you feel like a kid, like when you are reliving your childhood with some retro video games.

You don't want to act like serious guy in a suit and tie, with a wife, kids and mortgage like in your 9 to 5...

Growing old sucks...

>> No.841239

>>841231
Back in the day, gaming was a nerd thing. Nowadays of course there's loads of dudebros who play COD but never touched a game before the PS2 era.

>> No.841240

>>841231
I'd say that given the mainstream popularity of modern games, both console and PC, video games as a whole are perfectly accepted by most people.

>> No.841241

>>841238
Or you could be the very worst manchildren of all, aka baby boomers

>> No.841247

>>841224
They are not 'current' trust me but it's clear they try as hard as they can to keep up with it
>>841226
>thinking they told me that
I see their commercial on TV all the time. And like I said I assume on the third.
>>841229
It's actually a lot of fun.The Mangers are real bros and we get some really cool vintage stuff in all the time. The only con really is the try hard guys and the people that come in wanting hundreds of dollars for their broken NES.

>> No.841248

>>841153
that thread 404'd I'm hoping someone screen capped it and if so would you mind dumping the links again. I had the thread open but my computer shut down for an update.

>> No.841252

>>841224
Sure, just jog on over to Urban Dictionary

>> No.841261

>>841235
They spew means but if you ask them about it they get that deer in headlights look or try to play it off.
Kinda like how "gurl gamers" are
>>841238
I'm 30 and I feel like a kid all the time. That said this is not them trying to reliving their childhood, this is them trying to act 'hip' that's what makes it grating.

>> No.841262
File: 96 KB, 1181x1006, w.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm always skeptical of whatever shit I hear online. Example: This person is an obvious bad troll and there's almost a 90% chance they were not born during the Coolidge Administration.

>> No.841264

>>841261
>this is them trying to act 'hip' that's what makes it grating
Again, would you rather act like some boring gray suit fuck?

>> No.841270

>>841264
Honestly if it just between those two? Yes I would. But really I rather they just act like themselves and not be so insecure to think they need to keep of with the times.

>> No.841272

>>841264
I mean, I don't care if you're 60 and use bad slang you heard on Youtube. There's much worse things in this world to be butthurt about.

>> No.841274

>>841248
http://archive.foolz.us/vr/thread/835684/

>> No.841279

>>841270

Have you never considered that being hip may be how they really are? I think you have insecurities because you subconciously see yourself in them and you don't like it

>> No.841281

>>841272
the anon works retail bro, that kind of shit gets old fast.

>> No.841287

>>841270
They are old nerds.

Old.
Nerds.

Give them a fucking break that they are committing a social faux pas.

>> No.841290

>>841274
FUCKING THANK YOU

>> No.841292

>>841279
People think differently. Like my uncle is a fucking 19 yo in a 53 yo body. And then others think once they turn 25, they have an obligation to become boring old farts and stop listening to current music or whatever they do.

>> No.841293

>lol
>lmao
>:/
We need to stop this shit, now.

>> No.841296

>>841293
LOL is kind of fading out and giving way to lel

>> No.841298

>>841293

Why?

>> No.841305

>>841272
Not butthurt just annoying. It's like watching that kid trying to ask out that girl he likes but he keeps messing up every line. It's not that I hate them or dislike them as people, I just wish they be themselves.
>>841278
Your phrase doesn't really apply to internet memes. And if anything trying to stay with the trends is very much "living in the pass" every generation gets sucker to act a certain way to 'fit in' or 'rebel'.
>>841279
>armchair psychology
They are not really that way, they put on a completely different face the moment another customer comes in, especially if they are under 25. As for me, I have been a very big believer of keeping your power level down/hidden not out of shame or embarrassment but because there is no point to flaunt it.

>> No.841308

>>841274
I just want to say thank you again seriously you made my night
sage for off topic

>> No.841309

>>841305

Pretty much confirmed my theory. You really do see yourself in them.

>> No.841312

>>841296
lel is more of a shitposting variation.
>>841298
Why do you think?

>> No.841314

>>841305
Ok I can tell you have a lot of deep-seated psychological issues and possible projection here.

>> No.841316

>>841287
You make it sound like I treat them poorly. I don't. Nothing wrong with venting pet peeves anon, it's one of the charming things the internet lets you do.

>> No.841317

>>841312
For some reason, 4chan now uses lel more than Ribbit

>> No.841318

>>841290
No problem, Bro.
Oldfag team go!

>> No.841320

>>841309
I am curious how you even see that. Then again you didn't tell me anything beyond "I'm right" so I feel like I'm responding to bait
>>841314
This also feels like bait 2 and a good chance at samefagging.

>> No.841321

The Internet is an amazing thing, innit? Bringing generations and nations and races all together so we no longer live in a bubble isolated from each other.

>> No.841328

>>841317
You shitpost enough people think it's legit and use the terms. It's one of the big reasons this meta thread exists, to try and stop it before it gets worse.

>> No.841330

>>841321
I like you.

>> No.841335

>>841046

This funnels into the main problem with /vr/, the major problem that I see in many threads. Quite simply, there are too many posts which are simply attacks lodged at other posters. As you said, this board isn't about proving anything to other people, it's about sharing a mutual love for classic video games. Too many people come here and believe that they need to be superior in some way, either by age or by ownership or by opinion or by whatever other criteria seems useful.

It's amazing to see that people united by a common love can be so easily divided by minor details. The best way to improve /vr/ will be to throw these differences to the wind, and instead focus on what brings us together. Don't judge harshly people who have different views on what screen they prefer to play games on, or what kind of games they prefer to play or what kind of platform they play on. If anything, /vr/ should be a breeding ground for cohesion, where you can find new systems to experience, new games to try out, new ways of experiencing the video games that you love. If you just go around knocking people down for their opinions then you'll never discover anything better, and chances are good that you'll only go and make the rest of the board worse.

The best answer is to clean up your act and post with purpose rather than with blind emotion. Also, make an effort to branch out and explore new experiences. Retro games are incredibly plentiful to us, either on physical copies or via emulation, and now it's easier than ever to experience new games and systems and connect with others who have played them.

>> No.841336

>>841317
Well, I thought it was a /sp/ thing that spread everywhere else.

>> No.841345

>>841321
I know...it used to be that edgy teens would concoct their own "language" of code words they talked in and Mom and Dad didn't understand what they meant. Like for example, the 80s had "rad" and "bummer".

Today of course it's meaningless since you just go on UD and find whatever your kids are saying in a few mouse clicks.

>> No.841348

>>841336
/sp/ was originally making fun of Reddit

>> No.841350

>>841335
>Too many people come here and believe that they need to be superior in some way,
That's most people in a nutshell. Shitty lives, or insecurities make them feel the need to prove themselves and the internet just amplifies it even more.

>> No.841353

Let's try to make more sense, thanks. Why are we discussing people we don't like? Age groups? Summer?

More finger pointy stuff. Are there anymore types of discussion that anyone is bothered by?

>> No.841367

>>841353
>Are there anymore types of discussion that anyone is bothered by?

I covered the main ones. Guess that discussions about Sonic CD annoy me and are nearly always shit.

>> No.841378

If I were a janitor, I'd delete those "Can't remember that game?" threads. They're essentially spam and should be moved to /vg/.

>> No.841405

>>841353
The worst thing is still using age as a means of defining undesirables. You can have kids into retro games and you can have absolute shitheads that are 20 years their senior. It's stupid to think that it's a defining rule. As they say, age is but a number.

>> No.841414

>>841405
I personally think a lot of it is shitposting just to get attention
The thing we need to do is ignore shitposting that attacks age

>> No.841438

>>841367

I'm with you. I love Sonic CD as much as the next guy but /vr/ can't talk about it without making up reasons for why they think it is a bad game.

>>841345
>edgy teens
>>841348
>reddit
>>841210
>pony

Didn't we go over this? Some people are just completely immature. We don't know how old they are. This age discrimination doesn't help because everyone who wants to talk about retro video games has merit in this discussion. If they want to be heard then they should speak.

All I'm seeing is people venting about groups they want to avoid and a bunch of dumb terms being thrown around. The first reply to this thread is example of the stuff that needs to be curbed and put a stop to. Why would you voice your concerns in the tone of a shitposter?

>/vr/ became full of underaged plebs and "hipsters" after the first month. End of story.
If you talked like this in real life I would probably walk away from you. I imagine that if I were to talk with you guys about some video games in real life you wouldn't sound like this. You have potential to not be stupid. I believe in /vr/.

>> No.841456

1. Ban all tripfags
2. Ban all trolling resellers
3. Ban all tripfags.

>> No.841459

https://archive.foolz.us/vr/search/tripcode/%21%21vPRlrndO9G8/page/1/

>autism general
page 3 is where it gets really juicy

>> No.841595
File: 14 KB, 487x287, 1332238152580.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>841459

That's just awful. This isn't a living breathing human being is it?

oh god he's still posting

>> No.841647

All the FF threads where they flood the board about threads for the same fucking game.

>> No.841671
File: 37 KB, 656x338, orbit.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>841459
>my sides

>> No.842452

bump

>> No.842480

>>840862

Who gives a shit if somebody was there for it or not? This is Retro Games, not Retro Gamers.

>> No.842483

>>842480
Just Saiyan that this is one reason why Amiga threads always turn to shit

>> No.842519

>>842483
Even though I was around then, as a USAfag the most exposure I ever got was the screenshots on the back of PC games that often made me say "What is this Amiga thing and why do the graphics look better on these games?" So the Amiga threads give me a little more insight into how another group of gamers lived. I think they turn to shit because you guys are more easily trolled for some reason and there are more trolls who hate on Amiga for the same reasons I'm fascinated with it. I really want a CD32 thanks to this board but there's like no chance of me finding one here in Ohio at a price I want to pay. Someday I'm going to take a thrifting trip into Canada.

>> No.842529

>>840879
LGR does

>> No.842530

>>842519
Amiga threads suck because trolls use them as an excuse for Yurop vs Amerifat flaming

>> No.843302

Who else is sick of the retro police showing up and ruining threads?

once they say something it's pretty much over, you think they would go emulate some games from it and SEE THE LIGHT

they couldn't possibly be interested in following the rules for the sake of quality control, there's an ulterior motive with those annoying posts and it becomes tiresome to wonder if people are even serious or not. Are you joking or are do you actually think what you're saying?

because i can't tell, some people just aren't good at giving off a joking attitude.. and it's mainly because they aren't fucking funny

>> No.843421

>>841140
>/vr/ by its very nature is going to have an older user base because it's about older media

That is part of the attitude ruining the board. This exclusionist mindset. "Hurr fuck off 90s kiddies 30 yos ftw!"

>> No.843445

>>843421
But Anon-san, you are a 90s hipster babby who never saw a NES running in a store kiosk. You faggots are running game prices through the roof because your lord and master James Rolfe told you to.

You ain't ever used an Apple II in school or remember where you were when you first saw LOZ running. Go make a thread about Vice City and quit bandwagoning an earlier era of gaming that happened before your mom shat you out of her crusty vagina.

>> No.843461

>>843445
Shouldn't you be glad young kids like him would take an interest in ye olde 8-bit games? Or are you that much of a bitter peravirgin.

>> No.843804

>>843461
I'm pretty sure it was sarcasm.

>> No.845749

>>843445

I think we could all stand to be a little nicer to each other.

No need to swing your opinions like a mace just because were on the internet.

I don't remember when nintendo was in it's absolute prime, or when LOZ first blew minds away, but I do remember the first time I saw SuperFX graphics when I played Stunt Race FX.