[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 82 KB, 500x715, 1044085_10151544078933802_665450700_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
839527 No.839527 [Reply] [Original]

Where do you get your games from? Most of mine come from flea markets and pawn shops. I can't find shit at goodwills.

>but that's probably because there's a retro game shop near where I live.

tl;dr where do you get your vidya?

>> No.839546

>>839527

Mainly online, but I still check out the local retro stores to see if they have any good deals(they never do).

>> No.839561

>>839527
I'm big into imports, so I have to get those from online, but you can still find good import deals on ebay and the like. As for anything western I ONLY collect from goodwill/thrift/flea market/craigslist. It's been good to me. As for not finding shit at Goodwill's I didn't find anything for months, when my friend finally asked them why they never have anything, they said they had no idea people were into that and they've been throwing away... Yes, THROWING AWAY, all the old games and systems they get in... like holy fuck wut. Anyway, we begged them not to throw it away and instead let us buy it and since then we have gotten shitloads from them for extremely cheap. Now this was one specific goodwill I'm talking about but I bet it's not the only one that does that. Other goodwill's sometimes do indeed set stuff they get out on the floor, but not all so go ahead and ask if you don't see anything.

>> No.839564

>>839527
Local retro store and ebay hunting.
ebay can be just as good as flee markets/yard sales, you just have to keep checking back looking at the new listings.

>> No.839596

>>839546
Yeah, the game store's prices here are always a few dollars higher than amazon's. Its a waste of time.

>> No.839618

Mostly from garage sales here. My area is populated with tons of resellers, being so close to a major city, so it's usually my best shot to come across something good. I've also bought plenty of things from wonderful anons on this board, and I have nerdy friends who need cash more than games most of the time. Craigslist has brought results once or twice, but it's usually a piece of shit. Goodwills have yet to produce anything worthwhile.

>> No.839639

Typically either a thrift store or online retailers. Down here in the south, video games are still rather rare finds in thrift stores, so you'll have at best a stack of PS1 CD cases stacked with the labels backwards and you have to rapidly investigate them by opening the sliding door that says "Do not open" but isn't locked.

That or you'll get something like FF8 with one of the discs missing selling for $10. The good news is that everyone is technologically illiterate, so you'll find things like E-Readers in a N64 bundle.

>> No.839648

>>839546
were do you get them online
ebay is nothing but a bunch of greedy retro bubble riders these days so it's not like there are any good deals there anymore

>> No.839652

>>839564
>Local retro store
I'm not sure if I would trust what your idea of a "good deal" is

>> No.840143

What about shopgoodwill.com?
It looks sketchy as fuck - Is it trustworthy?

I mean I've been lurking and sometimes there seems to be decent deals but I don't know if I trust untested games.

/vr/ thoughts?

>> No.840164

>>839527
Salvation Army.

They often receive entire boxes full of old games, which they often price at $5 each.

>> No.840189

I found things are garage sales and online. For garage sales, I find videogames at a rate of about 5 in 100 sales. Honestly. And of those 5, 4 of them sell exclusively Xbox stuff, so I pass on them.

For online, I have gotten fair prices from /vr/, ebay and a couple of other sites. I usually snipe a few good sealed items from ebay for very cheap, less than retail price that's for sure.

>> No.840195

>>840143

Games rarely malfunction even if they are untested. I think it's legit, but lots of people know of that site already and are willing to fuck people up for prices.

>> No.840228

>>840195
actually the site is more like old ebay, it's an auction site, the price will more be based on people's interest in what's being sold... unless some one put a ridiculous reserve on it, and if the bids get too high you can always stop bidding
I'm not advocating the site or anything, just explaining how it works.

>> No.840239
File: 31 KB, 570x400, 8bit-tie.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>840195
>>840143
>thinking of bidding on some 8bit atari computer
>Available Payment Methods: Visa / MasterCard
no thank you, I'm not giving some random starnger my credit card number

>> No.840486

>>839648

Honestly ebay does get good deals sometimes. I look for sellers who don't live in the US. You do find people in Germany, UK, Japan and even Netherlands who sells NTSC-U/C stuff for a very good price and lower shipping than even domestic shipping. I buy from them pretty much exclusively now, I only buy shit from the USA if it's actually rare and in good condition and I feel like throwing away good money for no reason