[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 47 KB, 479x359, Jrolfe_avgn1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
833145 No.833145 [Reply] [Original]

What does /vr/ think of AVGN?

>> No.833150

>>833145

I like him and he's pretty informative and funny when we wants to be

>not being able to hate a game because people think you just watched AVGN and said some shit about it without playing it

>> No.833153

AVGN is great!
James and Mike plays <intert game> is shit

>> No.833156

The quality of his videos seem really low. But maybe i've just been spoiled and didn't grow up watching them. The acting is eh, his mic quality isn't good, and he isn't particularly funny.

But I really like Jontron

>> No.833158

>>833153
also here is my fav:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWltQ9UN5vE
So much awesome info my mind was blown

>> No.833160

>>833156
>Jontron

Please. Jontron is fine. But he's popular, so you'll get lynched pretty quickly

>> No.833162

i have avgn t-shirt!

>> No.833163

I think the height of his popularity is over.
He's visibly tired of the AVGN routine, but few people care about his other projects.
The James and Mike play stuff isn't very interesting and feels lazy,
but he's probably busy with his movie.

He's not really a good reviewer, doesn't do any research and kinda sucks at games.
I just watch him because he's kinda entertaining.

His fans and rip-offs are some of the most annoying people on the internet though.

>> No.833164

Even in his prime, I never really thought AVGN was a good reviewer.

He does give good insight if it's a game you've never played before though. He's informative and decently entertaining.

>> No.833167

He's the angriest gamer you ever heard

>> No.833168

>>833163
I agree with almost all of that, except the "He doesn't do any research" part.

Some of his reviews that involve NO sketches have some seriously informative shit in them.

>> No.833169
File: 4 KB, 176x132, jentren.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>833160
>>833156
Is jontron commonly hated around here? I know Game Grumps is, but Jontron's always had great content.

>> No.833171

>>833163
>doesn't do any research and kinda sucks at games.
That's IG, not AVGN.

>> No.833172

>>833145
The last good episode he did was Plumbers Don't Wear Ties on 3DO. It's obvious that he got tired of the series. I don't understand why so many people consider his series to be a role model for any video review. Because of that we have got such talentless hacks as TGWTG crew.

Also, Mike Matei needs to go.

>> No.833175
File: 24 KB, 258x288, livelikeawindrammerasyoufuck.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I really liked him at his peak (Silver Surfer video is still my favorite), but he's slowly becoming less and less entertaining. I think that his early videos it was him talking about games that really troubled his childhood and so it just came off naturally, but now that he's run out of shitty games that genuinely irked him as a kid he's trying too hard to find material that sometimes isn't even there, he forces that "rage" shtick and sometimes you can see that it isn't really justifiable.
He's run out of shit to say essentially, and now he's clinging to a dead-end character. I still like him without his AVGN persona, but honestly I doubt that cashes in all the views, so he's making the AVGN videos for the money is what it seems.

>> No.833178

He's pretty cool, though it just seems he has no real passion for what he does any more. It's just like he cranks out shit he doesn't really care about. I think he should just only make episodes if he feels inspired and enthusiastic, rather than forcing it. Even if he doesn't make anything, it'd be best to let the series lie as it is rather than shit it up with new, boring sequels.

Don't even get me started on Mike Matei, though. Talentless hack is just mooching off of his friend's fame.

>> No.833181

I do not like the way he looks. You wouldn't say he is handsome. He looks like a farmer.

>> No.833185

I've been going through the series for the last few weeks.

I actually find him more entertaining when he's sensibly going over a game's faults, rather than doing the whole burning-rage-and-vulgarity schtick.

He seems like a cool enough guy.

>> No.833187

I think that there are tons of more talented content creators now.

I don't know why he was popular in the first place

>> No.833190

I think you guys miss the point that Mike does most of the background work, like homepage administration and advertisement.
I don't even think James would've started a paypal donation pool to make a movie without him.

It's just that he doesn't have much of a presence and isn't used to being in front of a camera.

I don't hate him. His reviews aren't bad either.

>> No.833193

I like John Teti of gameological.

>> No.833192

>>833187
He kinda started it.
At least the "review as a character" thing.

>> No.833198

I think the rage part of the AVGN videos is getting old. It was funny in the beginning, and since he started working on the movie most of the AVGN videos he has done havne't been that good. the Ikari warriors one was good but I used to play that game all the time at my friends house so understand some of the angry parts. As far as james and mike play or board james or any of the other videos he makes I usually like them. some of the play videos kinda suck but others are awesome and are basically his way a reviewing a game that he likes. monster madness is awesome and I was sad that last years wasn't as good as some of the others.

>> No.833213

He's overplaying the swearing and its just annoying now
When he plays it and gives you informative reviews/criticisms it can be good
His latest videos (especially with Lloyd Kaufmen) are just cringeworthy

His early stuff was awesome but as another anon said, he's getting tired of it

>> No.833226

He's new videos are a shame, but I kinda like the James and Mike Play [insert some retro vidya here].
But I seriously don't get the hate on Mike, I think he's decent, especially in the James and Mike Play [insert your cock here].
Also, AVGN was rarely funny for me ever, but I liked how informative was it sometimes, especially the Swordquest, Street Fighter 2010, and Castlevania episodes. I watched them a thousand times, and they still entertain me.

>> No.833264

I don't like AVGN's judgment about games he is playing. But still it's really interesting to see things from his point of view.

>> No.833298

has and always will be unfunny and annoying

>> No.833314

>>833178
>Don't even get me started on Mike Matei, though. Talentless hack is just mooching off of his friend's fame.

You do know that Mike was with AVGN almost from the beginning, right? You know he wrote much of the episodes, right?

>> No.833319

>>833314
[citation needed]

His role is behind the camera, not in front of it. If he really wants to try being in front of it, he should make his own channel rather than leeching off of another's subscribers.

>> No.833321
File: 56 KB, 475x628, 26936_374585233750_557213750_3641050_8284136_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Boy howdy I for one cannot wait for the motion picture.

>> No.833326

>>833168
On the other hand, he sometimes manages to get basic shit completely wrong.

Off the top of my head, the Super 8 isn't licensed by Nintendo.

>> No.833329
File: 15 KB, 139x150, 1024jias.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>833298

>> No.833340

>>833319
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Angry_Video_Game_Nerd

>Rolfe has stated on his website that the first videos he made were "just a joke" and he had no intention of making them public,[5] instead showing them only to friends. After two years passed, Mike Matei suggested he put the reviews online. They soon did, and since then, his reviews have become increasingly popular and have developed a large fanbase

>Most of the characters are played by Mike Matei, who also co-writes many of the episode scripts and illustrates the show's title cards. His roles have included characters such as Freddy Krueger and Bugs Bunny, among many others.

>> No.833381

I like James and Mike. They both seem like nice guys and their videos are entertaining.

>> No.833392

>>833340
>co-writes
>illustrates

I have nothing against Mike Matei helping out behind the camera, but that is his role. Occasionally, he helps out in front of it in-costume but that is a secondary duty. He shouldn't be using another's channel to attention whore rather than making his own.

>> No.833394

I actually like mike on his stand alone game reviews.

>> No.833424

I like AVGN. He can be extremely informative sometimes and Its good when he plays the nerd part more than the angry part. He's got pretty good taste in cinema too.

I can't help but like some of the wretchedly crude humor. Bugs Bunny Birthday Blowout. Shitting on Bug's face to me was just hysterical.

>> No.833472

>>833145

His early stuff was the best when he was being informative, talking about gaming history etc. Probably his best episodes is the one's on The Power Glove, Game Accessories etc

But we don't talk about the Rob episode.......what a sack of shit that was.......

>> No.833476

>>833160
>>833169

JonTron regularly pulls videos when it proves he was talking out his ass

The problem with JonTron is when you spend 50-100 hours writing scripts and editing them, you can always make yourself look good and educated, because you can freely research and look things up, double check your information if you will before you put it on video

GameGrumps not only shows JonTron knows literally fucking nothing about gaming, but Egoraptor as well, the two of them constantly saying the most inane shit about gaming left, right and center.

Its funny cause other then 4-5 bad JonTron videos I had a sort of respect for him, and EgoRaptor with his sequalitis videos, but take out all the video editing, script and information checking and reality comes crashing down that these two are probably two of the most casual gamers on the planet, and know nothing about real gaming history

>> No.833479

I like his videos about movies. Stopped watching the actual AVGN stuff years ago because it got really tired.

>> No.833485

The recent ones aren't all bad, I really loved Dark Castle and Atari Sports, had some laughs.

His best will always be the informational ones like Pong consoles though. I like James & Mike play, it's relaxed.

>> No.833492

>>833485
Ugh

Dark Castle is literally 2nd place behind Rob video for the worst one's he's done

Nothing in the game is really talked about, he just spends 10+ minutes reading insults fans wrote about the fucking game, its like being on a TwitchTV stream and some guys yelling in the chat over and over and over just for some attention that the streamer reads and pays attention to their shit

>> No.833497

>>833156
>JonTron

Go away.

>> No.833531

>>833492
The problem with the Dark Castle review is that he didn't mention the original Machintosh version, which was actually a good game, and he only centered on the bad console ports.

>> No.833548

>>833492
I found it funny and I cracked up when he whipped the CD. The game was actually abysmally bad and it was funny, it's like the developers intentionally put the worst controls possible.

>> No.833551

>>833531
Why would he review a 'good' game anyways? Doesn't sound the least bit fun.

>> No.833552

I like his console reviews better than any of the games he does. I think I've watched the Sega CD/Atari Jaguar episodes more than any others.

>> No.833559

>>833476
Exactly this. Game Grumps shows that Egoraptor and Jontron are 90% google and wikipedia knowledge, otherwise they're retarded manchildren who love toilet humor.

AVGN also love toilet humor but he isn't retarded.

>> No.833561

AVGN is hit and miss. James Rolfe is great though. Mike Matei, I don't see the problem with the guy. He's kinda meh but he's not horrible. James and Mike play is alright.

>> No.833567

I think he hit his peak around the Plumbers Don't Wear Ties video. His videos aren't really funny anymore and they all just feel forced.

That being said, James himself is a pretty cool guy who actually cares about what he's doing, which is something that puts him above 90% of other e-celebs.

>> No.833649

I've never watched any of it but his opinions seem to propagate as gospel among some of the younger crowd, which is irritating since he seems to hate a lot of games I don't, for reasons I can't agree with.

>> No.833663

I don't care what you guys say

the Atari Sports video was incredible solely cause of that football rant in the beginning

WHO THE FUCK IS JOHN MADDEN ANYWAY

HE DOESN'T EVEN LOOK LIKE AN ATHLETE

>> No.833681

Nice guy. Informed reviews. But shitty skits and talentless filmmaker.

>> No.833693

The Sega-CD and Sega 32x reviews are still my favorite reviews.

>> No.833704

>>833168
The Swordquest episode was a real treat.

>> No.833707

He's not as good anymore. At this point, I wish James would retire the nerd and do more out of character reviews, like Monster Madness and what not, and Board James.

>> No.833737
File: 2 KB, 61x124, 1352445204689s.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>833663

Geodude boxing Mr. Game & Watch.

That dinky little comment made me laugh, and I hadn't laughed at an AVGN video in years since that.

Though it was more likely because of how ridiculous the game itself was.

>> No.833757

>>833476
Egoraptor took 90% of his Sequelitis material from Jonathan Blow's lectures. He just included some Castlevania and Mega Man history and jokes to them.

>> No.833770
File: 146 KB, 465x359, Un2342d-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.833773

Worst videos from him:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcuxGRO1wQA
and lets not forget this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q7XAi7Ojro

>> No.833802

I do love AVGN but his last video with Lloyd Kaufman was appallingly unfunny. But I think that was just because Kaufman himself was trying to hard to be funny. James wasn't exactly going to tell him to shut up.

What is /vr/'s opinion on Mike? I quite like him. He seems like a bro. Though when he started disabling comments and hiding the 'like' bar on his videos, that was pretty weak.

>> No.833819

>>833802
I like Mike. He was getting a lot of hate for posting videos on Cinemassacre's youtube account. I don't understand the hate though, because without him people might have forgot about them while James was busy with the movie.

>> No.833864

>>833476
They have been shit lately (yes I still watch them because I want to have something to watch when it's bedtime) but honestly they have played a lot of good stuff.
Ego's playthrough of Gradius 3 was pretty great and he knew some secrets. Jon wasn't understanding anything about the game and neither were the fans, so he had to stop playing.
I also enjoyed Jon's commitment to play Castlevania 3. These moments are very rare though, they know what pleases the moronic fanbase so they do it.

>> No.833871

>>833819
I don't understand the hate either but he says a lot of stupid shit.
In his last review, Megaman 9, he was bitching about Megaman changing his color when switching weapons.

>> No.834057
File: 35 KB, 622x480, avgnshota.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>implying this wasn't his peak

>> No.834106

i enjoy his earlier videos because all the games he reviewed I had actually played as a child and his frustrations were the same I had as a kid, but when it became more of a show about him and not the games I lost interest

>> No.834127

>>833757
I fucking love those Jonathan Blow lectures, I wish more people in video games and film had a similar approach to his.
>>833802
I think Mike's OK, but his drawings are awful

>> No.834136
File: 94 KB, 549x430, mariopaint.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>834127
I like his MS Paint artwork...

>> No.834194
File: 121 KB, 484x518, 1370573548108.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Going back to watch his older videos again just didn't feel the same. Maybe now that I am older, or the fact that I've seen them many times over the last.. 7/8 years, but I just can't get into the stuff like I used to.

>> No.834223

>>833424
Seriously dude?
That episode was absolute jank...
It was painful to watch

>> No.834293

When was the last time he did an actual review?

I mean his old-style reviews where he records himself playing the game. It looks like the last one he did was two years ago.

>> No.834317

>>834127
>I fucking love those Jonathan Blow lectures, I wish more people in video games and film had a similar approach to his.
I agree. Especially in his critiques. People like to call him a pretentious asshole, but I honestly think he's right most of the time. His criticisms of the industry and consumers are completely legitimate and I applaud him for approaching those topics seemingly without worrying about controversy.

>> No.834349

I never liked him. I'm an old man though. I remember when he first started doing this it was just an attention whoring stunt that ripped off what a lot of existing web sites were already doing with older games. I guess being the first to mainstream is always something though.

>> No.834346
File: 62 KB, 625x349, 3ub2c0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.834354

>>833704
And the NWC episode. Wish he would do more episodes like those two.

>> No.834438

>>833145
I like informed discussion about a game's dev history, gameplay, storyline, etc.End this with a balanced, unbiased review.

Failing that, I prefer an LP where the player just STFU. No corny-ass skits/jokes/funnyfacemaking needed.

>> No.834457
File: 26 KB, 500x364, there is no escape.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>833163

Here's one of those annoying "fans" you spoke of.

>>833329

>> No.834470

>>833156
Weird, because he's actually a filmmaker and not some youtube kid with a camcorder.

>> No.834473
File: 6 KB, 239x132, ech.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I really like Game Grumps.

I don't watch it for the gameplay, and I can readily admit that they are terrible at gaming and don't know what they're talking about nearly all of the time.

I just think their conversations are funny.

I'm sorry.

>> No.834491

>>834473
I think they suck because they're too busy trying to be funny. For better or for worse.

>> No.834492

Honestly, I still like his new stuff - at least the stuff that's trying to be funny. The "new" serious stuff (like the ROB episode) fell flat for me, but stuff like the Toxic Avenger episode were bizarrely entertaining to me.

I think it was mostly the surreality of it all. Y'know, it being Lloyd FUCKING Kaufman and all - I felt like I was on some sort of trip, not sure what to feel, but still entertained just because I wanted to see what would happen next. Same with the Ikari Warriors episode. The moment the guitar guy started singing I fell into that same "trip" state, waiting to see what he'd come up with next.

It was strange.

>> No.834496

>>834473
I do the same thing for GameInformer's replay/super replay's.

>> No.834662

>>833492
You're thinking of the Deadly Towers video, which was indeed terrible. The Dark Castle video might actually be one of my favorites overall.

>> No.834676

I've only ever watched it for the games, the information and to see his collection.

Really, I love 8 minutes of watching him giving backstory about some video game item or something, but then when he plays that game, and starts doing his character it gets kind of repetitive and boring.

Still, he's pretty interesting to watch sometimes, some of the games he reviews are funny due to how terrible they are.

>> No.834692

>>834473
they remind me of the nerdy kids (even nerdier than your or I) in high school that would laugh at their horribly unfunny jokes. the fact that they aren't knowledgeable and have no skill in the games they play don't bother me as much as their godawful personalities. honestly listening to them talk for more than 30 seconds makes me want to beat kittens with a baseball bat

>> No.834719

>>833326
I think he did say it was unlicensed in his Genesis Vs. SNES videos

>> No.834759

Meh

>> No.834885

>>834473
Why are you apologizing for liking something?

>> No.834917

>>834719
He didn't.

>> No.834925

>>834885
Because the thing he likes is cancer and he deserves to feel shame.

>> No.834934

>>833392
Technically it's his channel too. JamesNintendoNerd is, for all intents and purposes, the Cinemassacre channel.

>> No.835001
File: 86 KB, 500x500, based.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>833145

AVGN used to be great, but his shtick eventually got old and I think he's finally gotten sick of it himself. There's only so many times strung-together curses and taking diarrhea dumps on game carts can be funny.

Now THESE guys are imo, the best retro reviewers on YouTube to date.

>Actually have a broad variety of vidya and consoles to discuss; not just the typical Nintendo/Atari circlejerk

>Skits are usually saved for the end of the video, are actually funny, and are relevant to the subject at hand and not some self-masturbatory fanfic shit you'd see from people like Linkara

>No forced, unnecessary cameo appearances from fuckwits you don't care about

>Takes their time with production; Releases new vids bi-weekly and are high quality because of that

Seriously, I don't' even understand why people cream their pants over guys like Mark & HappyConsoleGamer when so many better content producers exist.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MrGameSack

http://www.youtube.com/user/Vysethedetermined2

http://www.youtube.com/user/superdeadite

http://www.youtube.com/user/phreakindee

http://www.youtube.com/user/ClanOfTheGrayWolf

http://www.youtube.com/user/lukemorse1

>> No.835008

>>834925
How does GG existing affect you personally in any way?

I don't like them either, but I never understood the whole YOU CAN'T LIKE WHAT I DON'T LIKE mentality.

>> No.835025

>>835001
Get out of here, Game Sack.

>> No.835020

>>835001
They're informative, but the humor usually sucks. Most of the jokes feel incredibly forced.

>> No.835040

I don't think James knows what actually made him funny at the first place, because back then he wasn't paying attention. He wasn't trying to be funny, he just naturally was.

I mean holy shit, think of how many videos pre-2008 were quotable as hell. "This is the Sega CD. It's a load of ass." Just how casually he spit out lines like that made me completely lose it. He's no longer looking at games that pissed him off when he was a kid. he's looking at games that pissed OTHER people off when THEY were kids and trying to find shit to say about it or joke about.

The worst thing is that he doesn't realize how autistic Mike is, how he's actually fucking up his reputation. And that's terrible, because James is probably the most bro-as-fuck guy ever. How many internet creative artists DON'T eventually grow a fanbase that hates them for being complete sellout lazy assholes who do some seriously controversial shit?

>> No.835047

>>835020
But that's what's great about it. It's like some shitty early 90's sitcom level delivery, very fitting for the theme of the show I think.

Seconding Gamesack, probably one of the best channels on Youtube.

>> No.835061

>>835047
i've tried watching, but those guys are two of the least funny schlubs i've ever seen.

>> No.835056

>>834925
Liking any media whatsoever is not bad on its own.
Don't be an elitist retard.

>> No.835064
File: 8 KB, 270x186, eccogetsair.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>mfw I enjoy Jontron
>mfw I enjoy Game Grumps
>mfw I enjoy AVGN
>mfw I enjoy Nostalgiacritic
>mfw I enjoy Gamesack
>mfw I enjoy Chuggaconroy

Why can't I just enjoy things I like.

>> No.835065

>>835047
Poorly delivered humor is poorly delivered humor. It's not good even if you look at it ironically.

Not like it matters, though, since their videos are 90% information. Honestly they should drop the attempts to be humorous, though, or at least stop scripting jokes.

>> No.835071

>>835065
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNLtEAvdLgM
>not understanding pastiche

>> No.835076

I still enjoy AVGN. I even watch his side stuff. I personally enjoyed the Toxic Crusaders review.

>> No.835094

>>835064
you aren't allowed to like popular things. That's the rule.

In all seriousness, different strokes for different folks. AVGN never clicked with me but Jontron and Gamesack does.

>> No.835098

AVGN and NC are the only internet personalities I can stand

>> No.835103

>>835076
I've seen most of his side stuff. I watched all the movies in his "favorites" section. They're actually pretty good, and Cinemassacre 200 is inspiring as fuck.

And I liked Board James before Bootsy or whatever that autist's name is came on. The songs sucked too.

>> No.835108

>>835071
That's not as awful as their usual fare, but it's still not that funny. It's mostly the in-between banter that they have that is so unbearably awful. Look at their newest video, for instance. After Joe's section, they try to inject some humor that amounts to

>oh hey that was better than i thought
>oh you thought it was going to be bad
>yes
>oh you jokester
>yes i thought it was going to be bad but it was good
>you card, you

>> No.835110
File: 8 KB, 320x180, mqdefault[3].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Ctrl-F
>Ashens

>> No.835112

>>835076
lol hey bro did u see the new family guy

>> No.835114

>>835008
Yeah, but that mentality exists.
Sometimes people just like something, but can still see the flaws in it. Sometimes a guy can look at Game Grumps and see all the reasons given for why they suck and say, "Yeah, you're right. But I still like it because this."
And sometimes some asshole will still take the chance to write a four page rant about how you're an objectively terrible person for doing so.
And man, sometimes you just don't want to deal with that shit.

>> No.835116 [DELETED] 

>>835108
Yeah, I know the part you're referring to. It made me laugh, they're obviously poking fun at how overdone and obvious some of the punchlines could be on bad tv shows.

>> No.835125

>>835108
Yeah, I know the part you're referring to. It made me laugh, what I took out of it is they're poking fun at how overdone and obvious punchlines can be with bad writing.

>> No.835131

>ctrl+f
>no SomeCallMeJohnny

Come on, guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-AZ5YTUs3g

>> No.835142

>>835108
I'd also disagree that it's not funny, if a show is going to have humor I'd rather it be poking fun at how cheesy toy commercials and shit could be in the 80's and 90's then some guy dressed up as a "LEL NERD" and some old has-been shitting and puking on a game.

>> No.835152

>>835125
>>835142
You're assuming they're poking fun at cheesy 90's commercials when in actuality they're just not particularly funny guys. Even they admit this in comments.

That's disregarding the fact that even if they were just poking fun, they're not even doing that particularly well.

>> No.835179

>>835152
Some people can enjoy subtle humor, others need EPIC Family Guy-like puking and shitting and saying BAD WORDS. What ever floats your boat.

>> No.835189
File: 16 KB, 505x371, 1296285843087.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>835131
Aw shit nigga, someone else watches him?

>> No.835191

>>835179
>implying there are only two types of humor in the world
Please don't make retarded arguments.

>> No.835194

Personally, I feel that he has done as much as he possibly can with the AVGN. It's getting old and tiresome, and he seems like he's tired of the character.

I will say, however, that Monster Madness is fucking fantastic.

>> No.835196

>>835179
>subtle
i don't think you understand the meaning of that word

>> No.835197

>>835179
>subtle humor
>constantly explain their bad jokes
>subtle

inb4 b-b-but it's SATIRE

>> No.835207

>>835191
>>835196
>>835197
lol did u guys see when avgn shit and puked on that game fucking epic

>> No.835212

>>833773
I agree
Toxic Crusader is a bad episode, there isn't any good sketch, no ideas, nothing.

>> No.835213

>>835189
New PC, don't have a brofist reaction yet. Do you have one?

>> No.835214

>>835207
Super cool strawman.
>>>/v/

>> No.835217

>>835214
>>835214
oh wow u didnt agree with me then told me to go to /v/ holy shit i think ill start using that who could ever think of such an amazing comeback

>> No.835219

>>833145
He was amusing when I was younger, now I just find him old hat and kind of obnoxious.

He's got a great NES collection too.

>> No.835239

>>835071
That's fucking terrible.

If you're trying to get me to watch Game Sack, you're failing spectacularly.

>> No.835260

>>835239
>>835152
If you guys really don't get it then you must have been born post-2000.

>> No.835267

>>835260
Good humor appeals to everyone, not just a single outdated generation.

I was born in 93 and even I think it's shit.

>> No.835283

I want Game Sack to leave.

>> No.835284

>>835267
>born in 93
>calling a high-quality non-offensive show shit, good humor appeals to everyone
Sounds like you're AVGN's target demographic, enjoy your shit jokes.

>> No.835293
File: 51 KB, 640x354, XD.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

XD hey guys remember this one

>> No.835315

>>835260
I was born in 79, and that shit's awful.

>> No.835361

>>835284
Go to bed, Game Sack.

>> No.835374

I don't like any of the Youtubers mentioned in this topic. I think they're unfunny and boring.

But /vr/

I am so fucking hot for you

>> No.835414

>>835217
>oh wow im fuckin butthurt so i'm typin liek dis now to make you feel oh so silly cuz im an epic trollster (:

Seriously?

>>>/v/

>> No.835427

>>835260
there's nothing to "get" they even admit they're shit writers, by implying there is some oh so funnay and subversive 90's ironic humour that is soooo advanced it's flying over our heads you're making yourself look like a pretentious tool, I love gamesack and was also born in 93 but seriously man the caveman and the ginger tweaker with the fucked up teeth are akward and not fucking funny. just accept it already man

>> No.835436

>>835374
you know every vidya related show isn't humorous, right? Game Sack for example isn't, although some anon in here seems to think otherwise, it's pretty much straight up vidya

>> No.835446

>>835427
>caveman and ginger tweaker with the fucked up teeth
It sounds like you described Joe twice.

>> No.835471

>>835436
>Game Sack for example isn't, although some anon in here seems

GS tries to be humorous. and fails hard at it.

>> No.835480

>>835427
>oh so funnay and subversive 90's ironic humour that is soooo advanced

>>>/v/

>> No.835485

>>835471
the attemps at humor are easily looked past when compared to the various vidya inormation being thrown at you

>> No.835493

>>835446
well shit you appear to be correct sir. here, the balding nintendope and the caveman sam lasco looking ginger tweaker, is that better?

>> No.835509

>>835485
I don't think anyone's arguing that they're not informative. There's just that one samefag insisting that the bad humor is done on purpose for irony, which is just blatantly false.

>> No.835510

I once had an almost 100 post discussion with a guy on /v/ about James. The guy was convinced that James is a jew and is employed by the freemasons. He was probably the biggest idiot I've ever come across on 4chan.

>> No.835516

Game Sack is good because they purposely do the whole "campy fanboy" schtick, knowing it's only funny in a hammy way, and they place the focus on the history of the games they cover and the aspects they truly enjoy about them.

>> No.835541
File: 48 KB, 428x241, johhny-thumb.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The Happy Console Gamer aka Johnny Millenium blocked me after I left a comment about him on another user's video. I was skeptical about his appeal for money to replace his broken camera. He uploaded a thank you video and he seemed very false in it. He was almost fake crying.

Apparently he's an egomaniac, and goes around blocking anyone who has anything negative to say about him.

>> No.835554

>>835509
Oh I agree, those guys fuckin' make me squirm with how schlocky their "funny" is

>> No.835571

>>835541
Sounds like Mike Matei.

>> No.835576

I like AVGN. Others similar to him don't quite do it for me.

His newer stuff isn't so great, but you can't expect him to just do AVGN forever. I am super jelly of his NES collection, but at the same time I only buy NES games I actually enjoy, which limits my collection exponentially.

>> No.835578

>>835516
>HURR NO GAMESACK IS NOT TRYING TO BE FUNNY AND IS NOT FUNNY THEYRE JUST AWKWARD

>> No.835683

>>835571
What?

>> No.835689

>>835683

Mike Matei removes comments he doesn't approve of (IE: says his unfunny jokes are unfunny)

>> No.835701

>>835689
Yeah but does he go to OTHER USER'S videos and block people who make negative comments?

>> No.835750
File: 16 KB, 229x204, avgn lol.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>833145
I like his older stuff, as his newer stuff has been either really poor and painfully mediocre. Anytime he reviews old movies, I really enjoy it since you can tell that's more of his passion. I really do hope he retires the AVGN persona after the movie is out, but I'm glad he at least got the chance to make a movie in the first place.

>> No.835809

>>835541
Happy Console Gamer sucks because he's completely uninformative and generally has absolutely nothing to say specifically about the game being highlighted. General game discussion goes like this:

>"Oh man this game is great!"
>"I have great memories of this game"
>"I remember when my grandmum got this for me for Christmas"
>"Yeah, a great game and good memories"
>NEXT GAME

Every. Fucking. Video.
AVGN, Mark and this guy called Strafefox who does overviews of MSX / Genesis / Master System are the better ones on Youtube.

>> No.835816

>>835750
Live like a windrammer as you fuck

>> No.835821

>>835110
>Ashen

To be fair, ashens is really funny, but isn't really gaming related anymore.

He's more of a reviewer of cringeworthy items now.

>> No.835840

>>833145
I think his past material is okay but now his jokes are so forced that its almost awkward to watch
I mean when he brought the guy from toxic avenger on.....that hurt to watch
honestly

>> No.835875

>>835840
Why do people hate the Toxic Avenger episode? I thought it was funny. Better than any of his other recent episodes.

>> No.835886

>>835809
He's a nostalgiafag in the worst possible way. I stopped watching his crap a while ago.

>> No.835896

>>835809
Have you heard of MN12BIRD? He's pretty chill to watch and doesn't try too hard. He knows his stuff too.

>> No.835901

>>835875
>Better than any of his other recent episodes.

I agree, but that's not really saying much. the problem I had was it didn't seem like an AVGN video. James seemed out-of-character and uncomfortable, like he'd rather be doing anything else besides making AVGN videos.

>> No.835907

>>835901
James really does need to end AVGN, and I say that sadly. Do 5 more episodes, with a final ET episode, and be done with it. It's been a good run.

>> No.835913

>>835907
I think he reviews ET in the movie

>> No.835945

>>835907
The problem is he's already said he has a huge list of games he wants to do. Multiple times. And he's told people multiple times on camera that he has plenty of material and that he wants AVGN to last several more years. That was before he burned out though, so at this point I think he wants to quit but doesn't want to let people down at the same time.

>> No.835981

>watching James try to use a C64
>"hurr you type 'load' and it doesn't play"
>"durr the commodore never works"
"RUN" YOU FAGGOT
TYPE "RUN" AND PRESS ENTER
FIVE MINUTES WITH GOOGLE AND YOU'D KNOW THIS SHIT.

Jesus Christ it's like watching my mom try to import stuff into iTunes.

>> No.835984

>>835981
Episode specific or what?

>> No.835990

>>835981
>autism

>> No.836004

>>835984
I think it's Dracula episode.

>> No.836031

He's burned out due to his movie, but it hardly seems like him anymore, he doesn't have a theme, or script, and much less a character in costumes like his earlier episodes.

Also, when he started he was unique, now every Tom, Dick and Harry have been making retro game reviews.

He needs to give the nerd character a rest for a while, and maybe do more informative videos, since those are actually the videos that hold up the best nowadays.

>> No.836036

>>835981
There's a couple of non-AVGN episodes where he tries playing Ninja Turtles C64 games.

>> No.836037

>>836031

Doesnt he have a kid now too?

>> No.836045
File: 39 KB, 570x570, 401966_579110755462683_558746660_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

He concentrates WAAAAAAY too much on the NES and SNES, unless he's doing a console specific review.

Come on, he needs to give the Amiga, Master System, Saturn, N64, and PSX some "love".

>> No.836051

>>836045

I dont think he does anything past 16-bit, does he?

>> No.836061

The last AVGN episode that felt legit was the Ninja Gaiden one on February 2010...

And it wasn't even funny.

>> No.836058

He used to be hilarious, but he's past his prime.

>> No.836071

>>836051
He's done Independence Day for PSX, and Superman 64...

>> No.836081

>>834917
He definitely did.
I just watched it.

>> No.836082

>>836071
>Psx

>> No.836090

>>836082

>5064 Replies

>> No.836101
File: 68 KB, 590x393, 53e48__ah0bjm.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>836082
This is a pic of anon.

>> No.836109

Out of character, I think James would be a pretty awesome guy to play some video games and down some Rolling Rock with.

I liked his AVGN series but don't find it all that funny anymore.

>> No.836118

>>835110
I just did that exactly, to see if anyone had mentioned him, because I was about to post this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swvy4qE_AYM&list=PL4B20C3AAC013AD24

>> No.836137

>>836118
Why the hell did he stop doing that series?
They were pretty entertaining.

>> No.836162

>>835260
I was born in 1986.

That shit's terrible.

>> No.836169

>>833145
I like him when he's rages less and talks more about games and what's wrong with them. And I like the Contra memories video.

>> No.836173

>>836137
He said in one of his live Q&A's he stopped doing them because they take far too long to make and aren't really his most viewed feature, he still does some stuff like this every once in a while, a few videos ago he played Fighting Vipers.

Not to say I don't like all his reviews and videos, save the Proxy I don't think he's really put out anything bad.

>> No.836174

>>836101
Thanks for the compliment

>> No.836186

>Finally watch GameSack cause its been mentioned here tons of times
>Its actually fantastic

Seriously its like AVGN when he's being serious and informative, and not trying to be funny

They are however unfunny as fuck when they are trying to get a giggle out of you, but god damn do these two know a lot about real gaming.

>> No.836358

I don't really watch any retro youtube shit, I tried watching game grumps and avgn but I didn't like either of them. Can anybody recommend any good reviewers?

>> No.836382

I like him. I first saw him in 2011 when I went looking for Spoony's review of Street Fighter 2010 and found his instead. I thought I'd give it a try and it ended up being great. The next ones I saw were Friday the 13th, A Nightmare on Elm Street, and the Power Glove. It's been a great way to kill time ever since.

I do agree that the character has peaked though. It was cute seeing a 20-something manchild raging about games nobody plays anymore. That was the joke. But it's not as much fun to see a married father in his early 30s doing the same.

Some of the reviews are still good though and I do enjoy the videos where he and Mike just shoot the shit.

>> No.836395

>>836358
There's always the Gaming Historian.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv7DJrLAZus

>> No.836451

>>836358
Not quite a reviewer, but Chrontendo is a nice collection of 15 or so Famicom games in each episode, and comments on them. Not like your typical reviewer, though, he has a calming speech pattern that will put you asleep. Pretty informative at times as well, and it gets funny when he plays "yet another cursed Famicom baseball game. I swear, these were the original Madden games".

The same guy (Dr. Sparkle) also does ChronTurbo (PC Engine) and ChronSega (SMS and now Genesis), if you're into that kind of stuff. I'd link to his site, but 4chan hates blog addresses.

>> No.836482

>>836395
that was pretty enjoyable thanks.
>>836451
checking it out now.

>> No.836526
File: 195 KB, 660x482, bleep blorp.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>833476
You guys are way too fucking high strung. Just enjoy the videos, or don't.

All of this whining about who's too casual...

>> No.836597

>>836526

I'm allowed to dislike something and point out if its sub-par or not

If you like GG that's fine, but in my view its just cause you like hearing them make another rape/nigger joke to get "Hilariously" bleeped out by Barry

>> No.836805
File: 33 KB, 640x480, I_came_here_to_laugh_at_you.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>836045
Probably because those are the games he actually owns the most of.

>Amiga
>US
>MFW

>> No.837038

>>833175
I don't blame him. Rolfe's real job and passion is film-making, and he makes wedding videos for a living. AVGN just started out as a commentary on games that po'ed him off as a kid. Look at the Castlevania 2 video. He says its bad, but we all know its 'good' compared to, well... a lot of shit.

In a way, I feel sorry for him. But in another way, I support him. The man's got a dream. And achievement in Life is nothing without dreams for a Foundation.

>> No.837047

>>833198
The Ikari Warriors video is, to date, my favourite review by AVGN. The reason is mainly because of Kyle's role in that vide. He balances out James, and thats how it should wrk - theres should always be more to a good review then just rage, toilet humour and gore/scat. AVGN is more itneresting when he relates and entertains, instead of just shocks.

>> No.837050

>>833492
I actually liked the Dark Castle review. You know why ? It had Cartridge BDSM at the end

>>833531
Thats like sayign he ignored the original arcade version of Ikari Warriors, which is good.

But thats the point, he's review a HOME GAME. NOT a GOOD game.

>> No.837057

>>837047
Kyle is the reason that Ikari Warriors is my least favorite AVGN video

>> No.837070

WTF happened with the Toxic Crusader review? That was the single worse video I've seen for a very very long time.

>> No.837078

>>837057
Different tastes then.

I like Kyle.

>> No.837125 [DELETED] 
File: 38 KB, 352x315, 1369309075340.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>833145
I like his movie reviews more than his video games reviews honestly. He even said it himself that he's more of a movie guy.

So all in all the AVGN is a bit overplayed, but James himself is a really cool guy. I also like some of Mikes reviews.

>> No.837128
File: 38 KB, 352x315, 1369309075340.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>833145
I like his movie reviews more than his video game reviews honestly. He even said it himself that he's more of a movie guy.

So all in all the AVGN is a bit overplayed and you can tell that James is tired of the character. But James himself is a really cool guy. I also like some of Mikes reviews.

>> No.837130

>>835821 To be fair, ashens is really funny, but isn't really gaming related anymore.

He's posted 5 gaming related videos in the last months, some over 20 minutes and dealing with several consoles.

>> No.837141

Where's the movie, nerd?

>> No.837151

>>837141
Eventually.

>> No.837210

AVGN probably inspired Chris Bores and I can never forgive him for that.

>> No.837446

I don't understand anyone that says they think he'd be cool to hang out with.
In almost all of his 'James and Mike Play ____' videos he seems like a stunted child.
"Hur hur that looks like a turd. A glowing turd of power. Hur hur."
And these are when he's not in the 'nerd' character. He's just being himself.

That said his 'Plumbers Don't wear ties' and 'SwordQuest' video are awesome.

>> No.837557

The only good game reviewer I've seen is Research Indicates and even he isn't too good at games and doesn't understand enough about programming to be truly insightful.

>> No.837567

>>837446
That's because he's joking with mike
You don't joke with your friends?

>> No.837583

>>837567
Not in such poor form.

>> No.837612

>>837583
You sound like a really boring person.

>> No.837649

>>837583
>comedy elitist
oh wow you sad pathetic shits still exist?

>> No.837845

>>837583
>ASSSS!!! SHIT!!! ASSFUCK TURD TACOS!
>Hey James, look, pizza in the sewer! Would that be like, a poopza?

>OH MY GAWD MIEK IS SO NOT TEH FUNNIEZ

>> No.837878

>>837649
Actually if you spent any time in comedy cirles you would understand the lengths we go to to perfect our delivery and gauge the room for a pitch that compliments the taglines. It takes a lot to be comfortable with yourself and your audience. So excuse us for not getting creamy over amateur mike and his silver spoons.

>> No.837984

>>835945
I honestly think he should just take a break for a few years and come back fresh.

>> No.838029

>>837649
So you are saying, that if your friends constantly blurted out unfunny jokes time and time again, that it wouldn't get annoying? Are you simply saying that you would put up with it, when you have the opportunity to get a new friend? Have fun, I hope your wife will be just as annoying.

>>837845
>There is only two types of comedy!!!!
Neither of those are funny.

>> No.838045

>>837583
This board has been overrun with 14 year old Family Guy kids, you're not allowed to think their adolescent shit jokes aren't funny.

>> No.838053

>>838029
Wow, you made up an entire imaginary universe just for little old me? James' Nintendo Nerd character is all about screaming crude epithets and alliteration. When Mike turns the volume down to 3, people act like he's not doing the same thing.

Whatevah. I'll be honest, I like Mike's videos more when James isn't in them. Explaining his opinions, demonstrating what he's talking about, and generally talking like a normal person. Of course, when James isn't being TEH NARD, I think he's at his best as well. Not that I cannot appreciate base humor, but it's like chocolate syrup MORE LIKE DIARRHEA DRIZZLE in that it doesn't go well with everything.

>> No.838058

>>837878
shut the fuck up retard

>> No.838081

>>838058
Is that all you got?I made a good point and its not exactly like you can refute it so do yourself a favor and stop trying. None of your vicious words can disarm me. Comedy is indeed my forte so calling me a retard on the subject, now that is quite a laugh.

>> No.838107

The Happy Video Game Nerd is much better.

>> No.838707
File: 25 KB, 478x468, 1291064110357.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>838107

>> No.839157

>>837878
>comedy circles
How the fuck are you involved with comedy circles? Stop lying.

>> No.839197

Sometimes I'm in the mood for that variety of humor though. Just like sometimes I'm in the mood for a nice healthy vitamin-filled salad and other times I'm in the mood for a big greasy burger and fries with a side of extra fat.

Why can't I enjoy more than one type of humor?

>> No.839206

>>839197
If I had to guess, enjoying that variety of humor carries massive social consequences.

>> No.839229

>>839206
Not in the real world it doesn't. In the real world, most people don't give a shit what you like, as long as it doesn't get in the way of whatever they're trying to do.

It's just on the internet that people start yelling at you.

And sometimes in real life.

But nobody likes those people, unless they're on radio or TV.

>> No.839271
File: 322 KB, 544x704, Screen Shot 2013-06-06 at 1.40.34 PM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>839157
>being this le trick'd

>> No.839323

>>839157
What exactly are you asking? I've been pretty in the loop with a few circles. Ever hear of The State?

>> No.839361

>>839323
Shut the fuck up retard. You have nothing to do with The State. Stella is awesome though.

>> No.839594

>>835541
fuck this guy, fuck this guy to hell. His reviews are uninformative shit, hes a nostalgia fag of the worst degree, plus he talks like hes fucking 6. /vr/ should troll him imo

>> No.839636

>>839271
Jesus

>> No.839650

>>839361
Less State era, more post Wet Hot American Summer. Stella is great though. Geniuses compared to me. I wont go into much more detail since it doesnt relate to the thread.

>> No.839651

>>838107
Can't argue with that one.
His early stuff is kind of hard to watch though...

>> No.839740

>>838081
I though making super nintendos play sega genesis games was your forte, retard.

>> No.839809
File: 187 KB, 323x451, 948490801243.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>mfw JonTron left Game Grumps to work on his videos for once
Good.
Now let's watch their popularity fluctuate.
Game Grumps is humorous shit, but I am curious as to what the new guy does now that Jon's gone.

>> No.839823

>>839740
Then you misunderstood me.

>> No.839925

>>836358

Classic Game Room.

>> No.839983
File: 65 KB, 640x654, Mark_(Westinghouse).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Mark and LGR are all you need.

>> No.840017

>>839809
Game Grumps sucks
Jon Tron sucks I tried to get into JonTron but hes just an annoying kid whose "creativity" should have been stifled through heavy medication.

>Sticks hot pocket in cd drive
>OMG SO FUNNAY

>> No.840027

>>839983
Mark is the best game reviewer ever. Not kidding.

>> No.840038

>>840027
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLUEH7M_xbc
its pretty sad he made this and I have to agree he is still the best ever

>> No.840040

>>839983

Based Mark. I wish he'd do my voicemail message.

>> No.840048

>>840038

What's sad? Truxton rules, and that's a great song. I genuinely like that song.

>> No.840050

>>840038
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLUEH7M_xbc

That's actually one of my favorite CGR reviews (with the Edit Station 1 song and whatnot). The one for Death Duel is pretty good too.

Some of my favorites are in the 1999-2000 era with Dave, though those are more for comedic reasons. A lot of them, while entertaining, aren't good game reviews

>> No.840063

>>839983

the only reviewer that can make an AV cable interesting, right here

>> No.840072

>>840027
Jon Teti is a very skilled reviewer.

>> No.840080

>>833145

I want him erased from the universe so I'm allowed to have opinions again.

>> No.840096

>>840048
I love the game its awesome but that review makes me cringe

>> No.840243

>>839809
The new guy showed pretty impressive skills in Punch Out.
My first thought was, "Jon would never be this good."
Wouldn't that be fucking amazing, if after Jon left they actually started being pretty good at games?

>> No.840291

>>840243
Arin will never be good at games.

>> No.840293

I love the nerd but I think he should incorporate kyle justin in more videos as for mike his voice doesnt sound like a complete puss like chris lockey but I think he should work more on his on screen persona

>> No.840457

>>840243
The new guy seems like he's actually played some retro games

Erin's in his 30's, I'm amazed at the lack of gaming knowledge he has, the only things he ever has somewhat good opinions on is hyper popular games that everyone knows about, you put him to the task on true retro games and he shits the bed

Like fuck, he praised the shit out of castlevania, then when pressed to actually PLAY it he calls the controls "Unresponsive" and shit, when he did a whole sequalitis on how good the games controls were

Then he bitches about games showing you what to do, where to go etc, but you give him two fucking seconds of freedom he starts bitching he has no idea where to go etc

Games like Final Fantasy 1 for NES would fucking rip him to shreds

>> No.840819

AVGN is the root of video game reviews. The world wouldn't have been the same without him.

>> No.840826

>>839809
Only time will tell.

>> No.840893

>>840457
Perhaps he was talking about the unresponsiveness of the controller when he was playing the game?

We don't know if they played it on a CRT of LCD TV.

When he was talking about the game in Sequelitis, he was talking about the controls in the game in regards to attacking, not mentioning the controller or button reaction times.

>> No.840924

>>840893
he very much so mentions the button reaction times, most directly when mentioning that using the whip there is a notable delay between pressing the button and having the whip actually work

And LCD as long as the response time is under 10ms you wouldn't be able to notice between it and a CRT, and from what I know almost all LCD TV's made today at least have a 5ms response time to prevent ghosting

>> No.840965

Generally decent opinions on games, has some good skill at cinematography production and editing, and seems likable when he acts natural- which I prefer over his angry shtick. Watching him in his JUMP (James und Mike Play...) series is refreshing after all the AVGN stuff he's made.

>> No.841306
File: 40 KB, 347x425, 1365310385397.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>839983
>Mark

Am I the only one who finds this guy extremely overrated? While I certainly wouldn't lump him in with lame assclowns like HCG or IG, but there's just so many better guys out there, see>>835001

>> No.841382

His jokes and swearing aren't funny, but at least that's not all his videos are. He actually goes more in-depth with the games he reviews, and one can learn something about video game history by watching them.

>> No.841383

>>839983
Damn, his voice.
I could listen to this guy all day.

>> No.841395

Best AVGN episodes
>1. Plumbers Don't Wear Ties
>2. Castlevania series
>3. Action 52
Worst AVGN episodes
>1. Larry Kaufman episode
>2. Ikari warriors
>3. Bugs Bunny episode.

>> No.841406

>>837878
Funny thing is, this guys actually right.

>> No.841418

>>833757
thank you. i knew ego raptor wasn't that intelligent. i mean, i knew it. the whole "sequelitis" thing just didn't match up with how incredibly fucking stupid he appears to be in all of the other "content" he produces.

>> No.841437

The lloyd kaufman episode gets a lot of hate because people think kaufman is trying to hard to be funny, hes actually like that in real life though.

>>841406
that guy is retarded bruh

>> No.841475

>>841395
i like the cd-i episode right below plumbers.

i miss the nerd, he hasn't made an episode in a while.

>> No.841654

Where's the movie, Nerd?

>> No.841752

>>841437
I can assure you that no, Kaufman is not like that outside of AVGN.

>> No.844569

>>841437
No I am not.

>> No.844582

>>841752
the 1% of the time he is being serious maybe. Every extra on the troma DVDs hes acting like a fucking nut.

>> No.844612

>>844569
yeah you are you're either trolling and wasting time or you have one severe case of autism. Maybe both.

>> No.844631

Anyone that says that James or Mike would be cool to just chill and play games with, defend this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=UfJ2pzhJ5xE#t=302s

>> No.844647

>>844631
I don't get it.

>> No.844658

I really like the show, particularly the older episodes. Newer ones have been missing some kind of charm, but I really don't know exactly what that is. Maybe his shtick has just worn itself out.

That said, I admire James massively as a person. I'd consider him one of my primary role models.

Here's a few videos that give you a deeper look into who he is as a person and a filmmaker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XacN05uJY00
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiQE_Lb801U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Kc3JqVIIJA

>> No.844661

>>844631
What about it? Have you never had friends before?

>> No.846751

>>833158
I love that episode, my other favourites are the chronologically confused videos.

>> No.846779

>>833394
Both James and Mike are better when they are not trying too hard to be funny. I watched some of Mikes videos for information and they were great, imo.

>> No.847618
File: 214 KB, 500x500, WAAA.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>838107
i was hoping someone would say this. thank you anon.

>> No.847619
File: 112 KB, 224x220, jesuschristabsolutedisgusting.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>839271

>> No.847661

I feel as though, in some ways, he regrets becoming as popular as he did as the Nerd

Like it was something that, while great for a few years, he knew he wouldn't be able to keep up and didn't even want to pursue for too long as his first love was film and not video games

his film reviews are great, but its clearly his AVGN persona that will maintain his popularity and viability, and this is becoming more difficult for him

>> No.847946

I thought the lloyd kaufman episode was hilarious. Lloyd really is a sick fuck and it's wonderful. It' obviously that he's improving the entire time; he makes absolutely no qualms about making off-color/creepy jokes about beastiality and homo shit, and James just has this face the entire time that reads "what the fuck have I gotten myself into?"

The video also seems cut to pieces due to the nature of the improv, which leads one to wonder if James left the creepiest shit Lloyd said out.

>> No.848014

>>847661

Yep. You can really tell that his primary passion is film making. He made a video on his website that showed all the method he uses when shooting and editing movies/video and you could hear the passion for it in his voice.