[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 174 KB, 736x920, 6038ffb7fe4cd456d797be8f59f5b588.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8325904 No.8325904[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Old timers/long timers of the vidya world/community - what is your input/sentiment towards the contemporary gen industry, community and the quality of games across the board? Good to any extent? Bad to any extent? Much worse than the old times? Or is it more flexible/abstract of a comparison in your eyes?

>> No.8325920 [DELETED] 
File: 435 KB, 731x618, Screenshot_2021-11-13_01-57-09.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Fat, lazy, and stupid just like the rest of the entertainment industry.

>> No.8325937

idk lol im too poor to play new games

>> No.8325942

>>8325904
>what is your input/sentiment towards the contemporary gen industry,
Don't give a fuck. I enjoy my old shit. You guys can do whatever you want

>> No.8325972 [DELETED] 

The modern gaming community is absolutely fucking AIDs. They're dumb retards who get mad at everything, bitch about everything, cry about everything. According to them, everything is "SJW" and "propaganda" and it's so fucking tiring.

>> No.8325974

>>8325904
Boring amd soulless. I play the few tried amd true IPs I like when they come out, but do little exists in finally burning down my backlog for the first time ever

>> No.8325985
File: 1.13 MB, 1631x1373, 1617027817575.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>going on the retro board to talk about not retro

>> No.8325992

>>8325904
My personal take:
-I kinda just have the same tastes I had back in the day, rpgs, platformers, run n guns, weird shit. I honestly find more enjoyment with the AA quality games then I do most anything major.

I like certain indie games, but I feel the biggest problem with them is they dont take the time to really make their games feel the same way to play as an actual retro game. Like, there are very few indie games I would list as feeling as enjoyable to play as something from the actual 8 or 16bit era, but im always looking. Honestly, the new-releases for retro systems feel much better to play then a lot of stuff on modern platforms trying to be retro, idk if thats just cause of the limitations of the hardware the devs need to work better with what they got while a lot of modern indie stuff has infinite room to do stuff, but maybe lacks the limitations that help build strong titles or just a lack of play testers or too much focus on art or telling some cringy story rather then making a game that feels good to play. Also of course it has to do with the companies with the real talent to do those types of games have long since moved on. I would like to see someone like say Nintendo try and do a "indie" style retro platformer in the style of something they would have done on the SNES and see if they still have the talent do make something that feels just as good that could have been released back then or just feels like a shallow copy trying to mimic something, but feeling hallow.

>> No.8326004

>>8325904
I think the gaming scene has changed a lot but there is still plenty of content available that appeals to me. I have a PS4 and honestly I lost interest in the console because it just didn't click with me. I didn't like the direction Sony was going with it (and are continuing to go with the PS5) so I don't plan to upgrade. I stopped buying games for it several years ago.
I have a Switch and I like it a lot. I like the direction Nintendo is going and I think they're the only company that's really sticking to the old ways (in a good way). But zoomers hate then for not embracing the shit that they always complain about other companies doing, so we'll see if Nintendo sticks to their guns in the long term.

>> No.8326040

>>8325904
I stuck to nothing but 80s and 90s games for a long time. Recently I've been playing more recent games, from the 00s mostly, but including even games released a couple years ago.
Playing online (which was limited to BBS doors and MUDs, before the late 90s) is great. I understand that some games have problems with cheating, which seems weird to me. Why would you need to beat some random guy online by cheating? How is that fun? Anyway, I encountered that once, and just left the game. Maybe it has happened other times and I just didn't notice, which is fine with me. I guess cheating seems to be mostly confined to first-person shooters, which I don't play much.
There's a lot more variety in types of games - like Minecraft and Roblox, that my kids are into, that don't necessarily have any goal or any measures of progress at all. Like when I was a kid, girls didn't play video games at all, but now they all do, just not necessarily the same kinds of games as the boys are playing.
It is a bit annoying that games now don't really have manuals, and you have to go through a tutorial to learn how to play a game.
Honestly, I think games have steadily been getting better, for the most part. Graphics are better, sound is better, music is better, controls are better, etc. Most games from every era are bad, of course, but the good games from 2021 are better in almost every way than the games from before. That doesn't mean you can't still have fun with old games. And since the old games are basically free, I still play a lot of them.

>> No.8326045

>>8325904
i take a little of everything
market seems more saturated than ever
yet, lacks originality/risk taking behavior from genesis/snes era

ps2 was the end of "gaming"
although i do have a feeling of gratitude towards a handful of modern releases
it happens more often when sifting through roms on the mister

>> No.8326057

The recent developments haven't interested me much outside of VR, which I personally find very fun. With it's current state of 3d per eye motion controls I think it is finally realizing whatever the hell was running through hardware devs minds in the 7th gen except it all actually works. Also the absolute cludgefest of hacky bullshit my setup is made from is pretty entertaining.
One of the reasons I think vr is appealing to me is because it finally backs devs into a corner again where they are forced to be innovative about handing hardware limitations, something that always either leads to curious art or drastic failure.

>> No.8326703

>>8325904
Games and gaming culture have both been completely soified. It's all hand-holding, push the yellow thing, get the meaningless achievements and drool at the super extra omg dude turbo 3000+ hyper graphics with motion blur lmao. AAA titles are mostly preachy, interactive movies. No substance, no gameplay, no nothing. The last nugame I legitimately enjoyed was Doom 2016, which was fucking brilliant, but they too shat the bed with the sequel. Alan Wake, Shovel Knight and Shantae and the Pirate's Curse were pretty dope. But yeah, I'll take Wario Land or ZAMN, or Goof Troop, or Advance Wars, or fucking Gargoyle's Quest over any nugame any day. Fuck Chelsea Van whatever, fuck video game journos and fuck AAA.

>> No.8326726

>>8325904
The internet ruined gaming. The previous economic reward complete products being shipped. Equivalent to entire novels. But now its just gambling machines marketed to children hoping to get them addicted to microtransactions. Single player games are not shipped complete, but chopped into slices for later DLC. Games unplayable without day 1 patches. All this LGBT POC worship being forced on us. Its just a mess.

>> No.8326745

>>8325904
The gaming community I enjoyed is essentially gone. As with everything these days, most people don't enjoy the hobby as much as they being an expert/historian of it, everyone says OoT is great even if they've only watched youtube videos telling them to like it. No one just plays one game at a time and enjoys it for what it is, it seems like it's always part of some greater series or plan they have and they have a solid goal. "I'll play every FF game and then I'll be able to say I played every FF game!" "I'll buy this game because I want to get the achievements so others can see I REALLY completed it!" The type of actions that are done for signaling or bragging rather than earnest curiosity/enjoyment.
On one hand, it's a bit sad to see mainstream gaming go the way of hollywood and lose all of its roots in small passion projects and become filled with "experts" and "critics" that are paid to give opinions on the latest big game which was openly designed by a megacorp with zero creativity, but on the other it's easier than ever before for people to make their own indie startups and try to create something novel and fresh. So I have hope there will still be a good game or two each year, but I truly think mainstream gaming will remain in its current state for quite some time. It was a natural conclusion which many of us were too young to see coming.
Thank the gods for emulators.

>> No.8326826

>>8325937
Fpbp. I play old games I missed out on in childhood cause roms cost $0.00

>> No.8326832

>>8325904
>Good to any extent?
no

>> No.8326843

>>8326040
>the good games from 2021
there are none

>> No.8326850

>>8326703
>>8326726

Basically these. So thankful for emulators and modders willing to do it for free

Verification not required.

>> No.8327019

>>8325904
It's certainly cheaper now to get a good game now, back in the day it was 50-60 bucks for brand new snes titles and now I can buy a relatively crunchy indie game for 30, 10-15 if it's on sale.

>> No.8327028
File: 67 KB, 594x411, 1586576169298.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8325904
Less virtue signaling and pronoun prefaces. More emphasis on on delivering quality. Sovl factor being inherit to the pure intangibles a title brings to the table. Free of any inference. Old is gold. In this case retro.

>> No.8327040

the current world is a living nightmare hellscape, modern games reflect that perfectly.

>> No.8328215
File: 743 KB, 3016x3120, 8tswlx0qc9831.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>I prefer games like Fallout 1&2, Final Fantasy 7, and Metal Gear Solid- you know good games from before they felt the need to shove politics in your face 24/7

>> No.8328270

>>8328215
>don't tread on meme
Oh God.

>> No.8328668

>>8328215
bait

>> No.8328734

>>8325904
I think it's absolutely fucking barren. I remember an article from the beginning of the eighth gen saying there were only 25 triple a devs left in the industry, 80 percent of devs closed during the seventh gen. And the budget and size of these games are skyrocketing, with manpower remaining stagnant in the industry most devs are now taking five even six year development cycles. You can pretty much expect each triple a dev to release just one game this gen. There is the growing "indie" market whatever the fuck that means anymore, most of these indie games are clearly middle market or higher in terms of production or cost,but I just fucking hate indie games. I couldn't tell you why but there's just a look and a feel that I can't fucking stand about indie games. They also refuse to make physical versions of there games which they absolutely fucking could if they wanted to.

>> No.8329030

>>8328215
Nice anime titty mousepad

>> No.8329081

>>8325904
It's a mixed bag. I play mainly 16 and 32 bit with some 8 bits like Castlevania, etc and replay my favorites religiously when time allows. I became a diehard Souls player in 2009 and did same with both Nioh games. Deus Ex series is also a favorite. I do enjoy an open world game from time to time but it has to have a well written plot to keep me engaged.

>> No.8329087

>>8326726
I refuse to accept companies shipping broken shit. I dont care if its "the way things are now", the quality of the product shipped, reflects the work of the company and their opinion on what the customer deserves to play. Hey, im fine if you have a day 1 patch, but your god damn game better be perfectly playable without it. Not even saying I dont want obvious bugs or something, i kinda dont like how patches and updates try and purge every little trace of a mistake from a game. Im talking updates needed to make a game function like something of acceptable quality. Deliver that on launch, without the need for day 1 patches, or you are a shitty company. End of story. (past and present)

>> No.8329089
File: 111 KB, 650x350, 1635443966003.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8325904
>Extremely childish and reddit retro vidya setup complete with plushies
>Redbull to show how manly they are

>> No.8329103
File: 146 KB, 675x1200, 1632677137776.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8325904
I keep seeing all my favorite series decay over time, irrelevant to whether they pander to old or new fans. I think we're in a postmodern gaming age and something will have to give if people want games to stay interesting.

Gaming has grown up accustomed to everything having a purpose, every mainstream series has a niche and pretty much represents their genre and anything else would be seen as derivative. as tech improved new genres were invented, more "purposes" for creations, but we're scraping the bottom of the barrel now and will have to actually throw out that mindset and create art with the same tools as everyone else.

there isnt much room for inventing new gameplay styles or enemy types now without things getting really strange. we already saw the industry try to make up some bullshit revolution with motion controls but we're past even that now. we wont be seeing anything like the invention of goombas from now on.

another factor is the indie scene doing everything possible under the sun with 2D ideas derived from the big guys. once that catches up to easy to build 3D then we'll all be on the same page in the way anyone can put pen to paper or record a film. then again all media still feels derivative and pointless after things have been run into the ground in the 20th century.

>> No.8329105

>>8328734
i'm with you on pretty much everything, I've found only a handful of "indie" titles I enjoyed. And most of those are simply "small groups first game" like Darkest Dungeon, Nuclear Throne and Terraria

True indie games that are playable? I've found one (1) and it was called Siralim, but after the second game the main dev got rid of everyone that was helping make the games, so now it's just ONE guy and unfortunately it shows

>> No.8329117

There's far too many remakes and remasters, and very few of them get it right. That's my only complaint.

>> No.8329132

>>8325904
Obviously there are a lot of problems with the modern industry, but I think the most consistent and pernicious Is the design philosophy that gamers by and large should not be challenged, and that devs should never assume even a playful adversarial role. gamers are treated like ill tempered cavemen, as if the shiny is taken away for just a second they'll smash their consoles in half. Not to say the average gamer is a worthy specimen but I think this mentality is more due to designer quackery than any sort of logical response to the market.

>> No.8329172
File: 42 KB, 501x466, 1608948800344.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8325985
this

>> No.8329241
File: 11 KB, 512x448, A7EE605C-037C-4D7D-81CC-DF864878DAA3.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Was gifted a PS4 in 2017, ended up selling it a year later to buy an SNES mini because:

- few games even looked actually appealing
- everything took 2 hours to install, and then would need to do a 2 hour update every few days and I just didn’t have time to sit through all of that
- every sequel was worse in quality and in gameplay than the 7th and even 6th generation versions, e.g. Madden, COD, Battlefront, WWE
- modern style stuff like uncharted 4 just felt annoying and gimmicky and just wasn’t enjoyable

And basically it just isn’t worth paying money for anymore. I have no interest in the current gen. I’d probably have fun with Switch, but enough is enough with buying new consoles.

I’m satisfied playing gen 3-7 stuff on Steam that I never checked out. E.g. the past 2 years I played Morrowind, the Deus Ex series, Megaman X4, and Dark Troopers for the first time and had way more fun than I did with everything on ps4 combined

>> No.8329598

>>8329241
>few games even looked actually appealing
Agreed. I was also given a PS4 from a family member who didn't feel like selling it, I hacked it and put half a dozen games on it (the only ones that looked appealing) and never made it through an hour of any of them except FF7R, which I dropped after about 10 hours because the pace was so slow, the original story's interesting qualities were completely replaced by menial tasks, and the combat was frustratingly repetitive.

>> No.8329608
File: 195 KB, 1671x351, politics_in_games.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8328215

>> No.8329615

There has been some good games made in the recent years that should appel to people who are into old games

>Mega Man 11
>most action-platformers by Inti Creates
>FPS games like Dusk, Amid Evil
>Blazing Chrome
>beat-em ups are making a come back

out of the sea of shitty remakes/remasters, there are also a couple of great ones
>Wild Guns and The Ninja Warriors Again or the Sonic ones

>> No.8329619

>>8325942
You I Like.

>> No.8329630

They're fine.

I have lots of concerns about how the economics of AAA game development encourages shit dev practices and stifles innovation and experimentation, not to mention how the workers get treated but those are just reality with the amount of money in vidya today.

Also the communities are trash besides some rare gems and even then. The amount of anti-tranny grouptthink in modern vidya is really disturbing. This one time I played the goth girl in Overwatch and people were talking to me like it was a communist political statement because...She has short hair and naruto runs? It's so fucking stupid.

>> No.8329716

Honestly I think games have been great the past couple years, at least the best titles are at least on par with the greats from earlier eras if not better. It's a tired trope but 90% of everything sucks. I play new games or at least past-couple-years-everyone-said-it's-good status games regularly and always have, I also play a lot of 8 and 16 bit stuff but usually as a way to keep my hands occupied while I listen to the news or podcasts, my main genres are shooters, driving, and city builders all of which especially the first two have always been genres that push technology and benefit from it so of course I'm going to go check out the new shit. Idk if it's just years of (the original) /n/ and /pol/ but I can usually tell a mile away when a game is going to be "woke" bullshit and I do not purchase or play it lol.

Doom 2016 was amazing and even the most reticient old shooter fans should try and give it a fair chance, it's genuinely exciting. I played Breath of the Wild on my girlfriend's switch (lol) and that's another game that takes the expanded capabilities we have now and uses them to make a better game instead of be lazy or just make tiny excessively detailed areas to sell to people who get fixated on graphics. Going a little older but nonretro of course Minecraft is one of the best videogames ever made, and I have over 1k hours in CS:GO. Also there's Cuphead, I finally had time to beat the last island recently and I was ready to just restart on expert mode immediately. I could go on with all the titles I've enjoyed from the past 10 years but it's mostly stuff people know or, I personally like because of theme or whatever less universal reason. Sure there are times where I think a new game is average to shit, like nuDeus Ex, but I've had a lot of fun playing new games and, I believe we're headed in a better direction than we were in the late 2000s. I also don't have a lot of time to play games, by circumstance not choice, so I just play the best shit.

>> No.8330520

>>8329103
Well that's because these games just cost way to fuckin much to make. When your in the hole for a hundred million dollars your going to see every dev put crafting and an open world in there game because they need to make there money back. You can't Innovative if you can't take risks, and you can't take risks when just one game underperforming In sales can't completely tank your studio, ala Bethesda after that shitty online fallout game.

>> No.8330537

>>8325972
If that's your first complaint you are 100% confirmed part of the problem.

>> No.8330547

>>8325972
You just did what they did. You are the problem. It always existed.

>> No.8330552 [DELETED] 

>>8325972
>its only propaganda when I don't agree with it
join the 41%

>> No.8330553

>>8326004
Nintendo is releasing the same games for the 10th time with no change. As well as releasing 20fps 500p ports of stuff found elsewhere. Switch is the problem with current console gamers.

Imagine if the fucking SNES was only as capable as the Atari 2600.

>> No.8330628

>>8330553
I think the obsession with power has been a huge fucking problem. Games are coming out these days at the speed of litagation because the tech has outpaced the human resource and production costs of the industry. We literally have sub 25 triple a studios left, making maybe one game this generation, and your first fucking complaint is about power? How much more fucking power do you need nigger? Wouldn't you prefer to have some fucking games?

>> No.8330909

>>8325904
Creativity is way down as the demand for profits has forced the industry to play it safe and regurgitate the same formula over and over again. This is mitigated somewhat by the indie scene but even there it's falling into a predictable pattern of nostalgia bait.

Basically. Modern games kind of suck and I'm running out of C64 games to play god pls help.

>> No.8331004
File: 523 KB, 1920x1200, 1522648414968.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>all that gaming shit
>no pookie and le sharde bagge to be seen
Shower not a grower, lel.

>> No.8331061

It's been about the same. The biggest problem has been that gaming has always been about copycats but that is just getting worse and the cycles last for longer. Everyone had to do space shooters, everyone did rpgs, everyone did FPS, but at least they moved on and evolved. The two greatest sins committed in the 21st century was the "open world" games (GTA III) and the rise of military shooter (COD). 10-15 years of gaming were lost to those alone (excluding p2w but i've never played those). I haven't played anything newer than 2015 except some indie games. I'm waiting on VR to become more affordable and fun. It just needs the killer app and it's going to change everything. Just one space invaders or doom and VR will be king. Of course, some chinks could make a headset that zaps you or catches your head on fire and it will be banned for 30 years.

If you really want an idea of where the industry is, just look at the winners. Mobile gacha gaming and nintendo's nostalgia machine. Any art or medium that is only looking backward or addressing the broadest masses is not evolving quickly and lacks creativity. It will change, but we're in a slump.

>> No.8331065
File: 1.94 MB, 1170x1654, page077.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8325904
Also, The contemporaries seem a truly mixed bag. Politics has WRECKED western gaming and is trying its damnedest to fuck with J-devs. Sony sold its soul to "financiers" in the west to save its ass after the HUGE problems with the PS3(including the PSN hack), and has never been the same since, though Gran Turismo 6 is a fantastic game that I've driven tens of thousands of miles in.
Nintendo is both a blessing and a curse. Same old Nintendo really. I have a Switch with a gamut of games from the SNES era(MMX collection) right up to modern remakes like Link's Awakening and "modern-retro" type games like Ghosts n Goblins Res and Sonic Mania. Also, Metroid Dread and Mario Odyssey. Dread is hard, which is cool, but levels look very samey. Samus Returns(another great remake BTW) has better levels.

Nintendo needs to stop half-assing N64 shit. Either do it right(have the guys that helped you originally dev the N64 help if need be), or DON'T DO IT and leave it to the emulation scene who clearly know more about it.
Also for the love of fucking god MAKE A PROPER DECENT CONTROLLER AND PUT IT ON STORE SHELVES.

As for Microsoft... I don't buy their products, so I have no right to speak about em. They seem okay. Not as shitty as Sony has become. I say that as a once loyal PS fan.

Japanese devs like Capcom and Konami are hit/miss with products. Konami made Rogue Corps, their worst game, and also made the TG16 Mini, a fantastic little retro gizmo that I find zero flaws with. Even the controller is well-made.

There's some thoughts. I use flashcarts/SD card and stuff in old systems, w/ installed CFW where I can. Switch is the only thing still official I have. Even my 3DS is hacked.

>> No.8331151

>>8331065
I really do not get the politics complaints since it's so easy to ignore stuff you don't agree with, and it never really felt as dire as some of the other problems games have. Feels more like millenials are finally experiencing culture shift and can't handle that things are changing. Welcome to 1994, boys.
Biggest regret is that patches and the digital initiative have it so that physical is just an expensive afterthought. 2015-2020 feels like a brain drain for some reason, and monetization is all over the place. Modern multiplayer isn't even fun anymore unless it's with close friends or family, since the community aspect deteriorated so fast into just money and fame because of e-sports. Dread and SMTV have been a treat this year, and Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection was surprisingly good. Good to see Capcom picking up the pieces of the last decade and making good games like DMC5 and RE2 (even though I do prefer the original, it does feel like they put their heart into it). Megaman 11 made me feel like a kid again, so I can't complain too much.
One of the things that have made me not so jaded has been the influx of new blood into the arcade scene, and how much respect they have for the older generation and the history. Millenials never managed to do anything but try to scam people or loiter around, but these older Gen Z kids helped chip in to get a Virtua Fighter 2 cabinet for the place after the old one fell apart.

>> No.8331290

>>8331151
>and it never really felt as dire as some of the other problems games have.
That's just it. The politics is now wrecking what was left of gaming in the west. Whereas in most Japanese games, politics isn't a thing. Nobody's injecting any kind of social justice in Mega Man 11 or Ghosts n Goblins Res, or in Zelda or Mario or Metroid, or in Bloodstained, or Bravely Default. Not on the japanese side anyway. Localizing teams sometimes fuck around like Crunchyroll does with subtitles, and it's bullshit when they do it.

The shit is a cancer that wrecks everything it touches, and I hate it because of that. It's not even the politics itself, it's how the shit takes over and dominates then ruins experiences. Also, voices in videogames. FUCK OFF with that. It's been a problem since the 90s. Remember Mega Man 8? Dear GOD make it go away. This problem hasn't gotten better either. MM11 again, the voices and shit can wreck a day. Terrible shit.

Game preservationists that share the content, and teams that steal secret-sauce IP(like from Nintendo) are doing God's work IMO.
I am absolutely in favor of breaking into servers and stealing older stuff from the vaults of these companies, because they made their money, and now it's time to show people how it was done. Imagine where N64 emulation could be if Nintendo weren't assholes about its secrets. They have zero reason to keep it all secret now. All it does is hurt them.

>> No.8331297

Stopped buying games after 2000 when I realised I could never play through all the games I already had...
Until wife bought a ps3 for me then bought as many of the most respected games possible when eb etc had preowned games on run out. Hardly played any though.
Its not all bad. I enjoyed Oblivion. A lot.

>>8326726
Hate revisionism hacking up games I love for this bs. Fine for new games. Microtransactions were invented by, and only used by child molesters. It should be legal to harm people who create games with them.

>> No.8331302

>>8331297
I mean changing content to be pc, and, in particular to further LGBT agenda. I mean no offense to anyone identifying this way, just don't think these themes generally belong in most /vr any more than adding in messages about politics, drugs etc particularly when not of that era

>> No.8331308

most of the problems with modern games can be traced back to Shenmue

>> No.8331325

>>8331151
Inserted political messages stand out as wrong in every way, often because they are done with very poor sensitivity or tact, literally bashing the audience with x idealism.

What would you say if Disney (or studio you like) suddenly made pluto (or a character you like) /spoiler more /spoiler gay and changed the plot of a cartoon you love to revolve around this?

>> No.8331345

>>8330909
Running out of c64 games? Fucking how?

>> No.8331347

>>8331325
Yeah, and the moment you critique their forced political bullshit they assume you're some kinda nadsi fascist.
BITCH, I love FFVII, including Barret, and Tifa being tough, and Mukki's gay bath scene, etc. I also like Cid being an asshole to his wife/assistant and all the other shit. It all works because it's done in a flowing, lighthearted way, not overly serious and not scolding.
Nobody cares that Barret is black because he's just another party member on your team, to kick ass and fire Project Bluebeam at fuckers when he gets really pissed off.

Just one example of a game doing it right. Despite the game having a serious political message about destroying the natural world, which isn't done in a tree-hugger manner and doesn't always sympathize with nature.

It's like how Star Trek/TNG/DS9 are awesome TV shows that do things right. People used to have self-awareness. I feel like Japanese people still do, maybe because their culture is very critical and polite. You can't just act like an asshole.

>> No.8331373

>>8331290
>Politics not a thing in video games in Japan
There's entire studies about why characters can't hold 4 fingers down, or can't have missing fingers. Look up the burakumin and how they shut down that shit. The funny thing is, they find it more offensive to talk about prior oppression (even if it's for a good cause), and rather people let the burakumin fade into obscurity so that they don't feel any different from any other Japanese person. Localization is always going to cause you problems just from the nature of the work, so you might as well learn Japanese like I did. That said, I learned it for work and don't mind the changes, usually. People told those into social justice to go make their own games, and that's what they did, and yet people are still angry.
Maybe it's because of time, or maybe it's because I'm not in a negative hole of cynicism like /v/, but nothing so far has been bad enough to phase me. Maybe something cringeworthy, or not implemented well enough, but usually the falt is more in the company than the people who believe this stuff. Janitor said something about it being called pinkwashing. Nobody likes it.
Preservation is a great thing, but the sad truth is that companies have all to gain by keeping their vaults closed. The expansion pass is proof that they can charge what they want if it means there isn't a single other viable place to take it from. Pirating and buying old stock is easy, but most people won't go through all that trouble. And from some hearsay around here, apparently it's also because of the non-preservationist culture that Japan seems to have. The boy and girls out in the rodeo that is game preservation have enough problems trying to keep everything backed up, and that's without the typical internet drama that comes with prototypes and the large sums of money people pay for them. I wish them well.

>> No.8331383

>>8331290
>Also, voices in videogames. FUCK OFF with that
There are so many people who think a game without voice acting is a negative but goddamn I agree with you. It's severely limited RPGs the most imo. I don't mind voices to an extent, Morrowind has voice acting but it's only for minor quips and major NPCs, but having every single line in a game be voice acted isn't necessary.

>> No.8331384

>>8325985
it's directed specifically at retro enthusiasts though

>> No.8331389

Video games have always been cash grab shit designed to use the tools of capitalism to extract money from rubes via dopamine loops. Whether it's coin eating arcade machines, artifical diffuctly ruining games so you don't rent them, to loot boxes and microtransations. Gaming as an artform has always been held back by capitalism.

t. gen x boomer

>> No.8331391

>>8329241
>Dark Troopers
?

>> No.8331392

>>8331290
>The politics is now wrecking what was left of gaming in the west.
lmao, you're a pasty white boy who's definition of politics is anything that makes your sheltered ass uncomfortable.

>> No.8331393

>>8331302
>and, in particular to further LGBT agenda.
Snowflakes melts, more at 11.

So easily offended it's hilarious.

>> No.8331397

>>8331325
>What would you say if Disney (or studio you like) suddenly made pluto (or a character you like) /spoiler more /spoiler gay and changed the plot of a cartoon you love to revolve around this?

I literally won't care because non-straight people existing doesn't make me seethe like a pathetic faggot

>> No.8331413

>>8331392
See? No self-awareness. You faggots think you can just come in and annoy the shit out of people, then wonder why you get bullied to death like that Byuu faggot. STOP ANNOYING MOTHERFUCKERS you tonedeaf fool.
You're like that little shitstain magician in Spyro with the dragon eggs.

>> No.8331416

>>8325904
>the good
I think indie games have been a boon overall. 20+ years ago the idea of someone making a game on their own was almost unheard of unless you were lurking on RPGMaker forums. I think it'll only get easier over time and eventually anyone will be able to make their own game, which will open up its own bag of shit but it's not like the market isn't flooded with shit from actual companies already.
>the bad
The industry is pretty bankrupt creatively. We keep getting remasters and remakes of older games and those end up being worse 9/10 times. Gamers used to beg for remakes of older games on newer consoles and now we roll our eyes and hold our breath when one is announced because we know it'll be shitty hackjob. The REmakes have been the only well done remakes I can think of in recent years.
My only other real complaint is the lack of graphical improvements every gen. 3->4->5->6th gen all had notable and amazing leaps in graphics that were mindblowing at the time, but the 7->8->9th don't quite have the same amazing technical leaps as their predecessors.

>> No.8331427
File: 10 KB, 200x200, 165498.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8331397
>turning pluto gay
>non-straight people existing doesn't make me seethe
Disingenuous faggot. He's not talking about creating queers, he's talking about changing established characters for no reason other than to push an agenda. You already knew that though, don't know why I'm even wasting my time with a reply.

>> No.8331428

>>8325985
>spends some of his irrecoverable and precious time on earth making a post to complain about this thread instead of just ignoring it

>> No.8331431

I kinda fell off the wagon around 2006 with a few exceptions. I was a nintendo/Sega guy until the wii era. I still play the big sports games casually on occasion with a few friends. Madden, 2k.
I played a few of the early assassins creeds which I liked. I have an xbox one a friend gave me a few years back. Ive got rare replay(didnt like nuts and bolts, go figure), mortal Kombat (which hasnt been played much) and madden, NBA2k.
Had an xbox 360 I sold. Gta 4 and 5 were great, as was Red dead redemption 1. Skate 2 and Mortal Kombat 9 were good. I think I had one of the COD games but not sure which. It had Zork in it which was cool and a smash tv type game which I was kinda into. Haven’t played Red Dead 2 yet but I might. Messed with Fortnite for about two weeks (get it?). I couldn’t get into Minecraft. I’ve thought about picking up a switch and trying the big name new nintendo stuff like BOTW, Mario Odyssey, shitty ipad Starfox, new soulless 2d mario or dkc tropical freeze (I thought dkc returns was average but not as good as rare’s). Im sure id like smash ultimate. Metroid Dread just might be the straw that breaks the camels back and makes me get a switch. I wanted to try the metroid 2 remake on ds too, but I loathe nintendo’s gimmick controls. I’ve also considered getting the Panzer Dragoon remaster but dont want to be diasappointed. I just replay the originals. In my head everything 7th gen and later is new Im old as fuck when it comes to gaming. Next “new” game on my list to try is Sonic Mania.

I really dont spend much time thinking about or playing new games. Recently started emulating some more master system games.

>> No.8331441

>>8331431
>I’ve also considered getting the Panzer Dragoon remaster but dont want to be diasappointed
You will probably be disappointed, anon. I was. But I'm a nitpicky fag so maybe it's just me

>> No.8331469

>>8325904
PROS
>easier to access a wider variety of games
>generally less expensive
>through most of the growing pains
>the high seas have never been calmer
CONS
>most people prefer multiplayer
why is that a con?
>most people fucking suck and have no incentive to improve
>major AAA games are all derivative trash
>tech and gameplay have essentially plateaued
>predatory pricing has become the norm
>finished games are a rarity, even single player games get constant balance and "content" updates

>> No.8331491

>>8331325
>Studio I like
>Disney
Son, how old are you? Besides, that typically goes into what I said before about pinkwashing, and how the heavy handed stuff is usually the company faking it or a creator not having an editor to reign them back. Changing the plot of anything to revolve around a new change seems odd, and would make me feel like the studio is more to blame for the direction. Then again, if for example, there was a new Spyro game that was good, but it just so happened to give him a boyfriend, I wouldn't really give a shit unless it plays bad. That one PS2 Spyro game had some chick be the love interest, but ended up awful, right? That was some alternate universe anyways, if I recall, but I don't really care since it doesn't mess with the trilogy. And if it did, that would be pretty lame, but I felt the same way about Compilation of FF7 and it's retcons.
>>8331413
Not them but didn't they end up faking their death? That anon is pretty brash, but you do seem to be taking things personally. You admittedly do seem to hurt your own point by being so angry about it. I'm not one to police tone, but it does get a bit tiring.
>>8331441
No no, I actually played Panzer Dragoon at a workmate's house just to check. It doesn't feel the same, and something feels off. The newest update did help change that and the loading times, but it's a disappointment that a game that old didn't get more optimized. If you play on the PC, you might be able to get through well enough, but avoid the Switch port.

>> No.8331510

>>8331427
What's the agenda? that gay people exist? are you fucking upset that gay people exist? damn how fucking pathetic do you have to be lmao

I don't spend my time getting offended about stupid shit so I wouldn't give a fuck if they made Superman gay you fucking loser

>> No.8331514

>>8331510
>I wouldn't give a fuck if they made Superman gay you fucking loser
Good, they already did that too fag.

>> No.8331518
File: 100 KB, 256x256, 6j77m76.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8325904
It's exactly the same as it always was. The games and systems are catered to kids and teens. We just don't like it because we're not kids and teens anymore. However the fucking price gouging on retro shit is fucking gay, even if I emulate everything.

>> No.8331527

>>8331514
iirc they made Superboy, a recently introduced character with no backstory bisexual

Why does this upset you so much lmao are you some christfag or something

>> No.8331529

>>8331518
>It's exactly the same as it always was
Yep, I remember buying Starfox on the SNES and having to wait for my day-1 patch to make it playable and then paying money to get new skins for the ships.

>> No.8331537
File: 134 KB, 500x600, notime.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8331527
>lmao
>lmao
>lmao
>lmao
Learn a new word. But to answer your question, no not a christfag just hate fags.

>> No.8331569

>>8331527
Why does he need a "sexuality"? Why do people care so much about fucking and sucking? Chuck stopped caring and sold the estate. Why can't everyone else?

>> No.8331597

They might be good, they might be bad, it makes no difference to me. I still have a fucking backlog of games that I've been wanting to play since I was a kid that I still haven't gotten around to playing. I'll get to modern games when I get to them. At least I keep finding games I'm getting a lot of enjoyment out of.
I have noticed that most modern games are either multiplayer-only or dependent on some sort of master server or launcher or whatever. When I'm finally good and ready to play most of them, they will be unplayable anyways. For a /vr/-legal example, MGS3's MGO. You can still play it these days, but it's less than 10 people playing at any given time, so what's the point?
I guess that's the biggest divide between retro gaming and modern gaming. Retro gaming can be played whenever you get the urge or the nostalgia hits. Modern gaming can only be played now, you won't be able to play it down the line when you get the urge or nostalgia hits. Retro gaming is like a published book, movie, comic, or song. It can be enjoyed again whenever. Modern gaming is like a party. You have fun while it happens, but you can't ever go back to it.

>> No.8331650

>>8325904
Oh, the games are fine. The manipulative marketing practices that some games and all modern video game consoles are designed around are not. This year I finally had enough.

>> No.8331656

>>8331061
>it was always about copycats
>everyone did space shooters
>everyone did rpgs
>everyone did fps
What? Just because a few companies try to copy what worked for someone else doesn't mean the entire industry was doing it. When was everyone doing space shooters for fucks sake? I remember everyone freaking out about ALL THE WW2 FPS GAMES OMG because there were three AAA games about it(Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, Battlefield 1942). But I can't remember everyone freaking out about space shooters. Also RPGs. When was this?
>VR
>It just needs the killer app and it's going to change everything.
I keep hearing this, but I don't know what people expect out of VR technology. People have made VR games for just about anything you could want. Racing games, FPS games, simulation type games, and tons of mods and add-ons to existing games to make them VR. What more can they do with controls and a VR headset?

>> No.8331663

>>8326703
>The last nugame I legitimately enjoyed was Doom 2016, which was fucking brilliant, but they too shat the bed with the sequel.
I kind of feel like that a fluke. The took the worst parts and put them in the sequel.

>> No.8331672
File: 350 KB, 744x652, Hapy - shepard.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8325904

Here's a sweet strawberry-flavored redpill to swallow: Gaming has never been in a better place, and oldfags who pretend the it's not are just high on copium or shifting eyes away from their own rampant consoomerism.

Personally, i never play mobile games and hardly fuck around with whatever recent AAA titles the industry decides to shit out, but the massive conveniences and ease of access modern gaming provides are undeniable. Hop into Fightcade, play MVC2 or SSF2T online with a press of a button? Don't mind if i do, and the playerbase is alive and bustling, at least for now.

Want to play an old obscure game you didn't get the chance to? Hop into the internet, with moderate luck you will find some sort of forum thread or, if the situation is dire, discord server to set yourself up for some games. And let's face it- would it not have been much nicer to do multiplayer back when Kohan or insert-name-here was released way back when? No it wouldn't. Multiplayer used to be a massive pain in the ass on the vast majority of titles, either by server issues, unbalanced matchmaking or no public lobbies or match searching whatsoever, taking your lonely ass straight back to single player boulevard.
I take one look at /vm, see people are still playing Worms Armageddon and smile from the bottom of my soul, because for the life of me i could not find people to play with way back then.
The FGC in particular gets a gold star. Any modern fighting game has an accessible ranked mode and netcode far and above anything that used to exist. Bored of playing online? hop into Youtube or Twitch, watch an entire coverage of the latest tournament. Some people like to harp on about how EVO moment 37 was the peak of gaming while blissfully ignoring the fact it was filmed on a potato camera and little footage of the very same event, shit quality notwithstanding, survived today.

>> No.8331687
File: 109 KB, 1280x720, hei.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8325904
>>8331672

And could i get by without mentioning the indie industry? Because holy fuck, is it a Godsend. There are options for every single niche taste in existence now, and very oftenly they are going to be magnitudes more polished than a singular, hard-earned diamond you mined out of a past gen catalogue.
If past me knew Siralim Ultimate is a game that would come into existence, my tiny brain would have retracted into a black hole. There are games so finely-tuned to their audiences it seems to me like they are made specifically for autists. Looking at you, Lobotomy Corp.

Modern gaming doesn't mean swallowing whatever the big names crap out and vomiting stale outrage on /v, it means using the massive swathe of tools, content and the lingering enthusiasts available to your favor.

Those that keep getting burned by the industry and pretend it's the fault of any specific company or group of people ought to value their time and money more, and let other idiots take the fall on their place and learn from their mistakes. They aren't victims of a grand conspiracy or shift on the industry, they are self-flagellants complaining about the pain, and i have zero sympathy for them.
Those that hide behind rose-colored glasses and act like any promised grand age of games has been taken from them are ignoring the previleges they have now, and how unfeasible and expensive it would have been to access all the games they have. Sure, you can name 50-something titles better than anything that came out over the last gen, but these games are not going anywhere, you can play them any time you want via an emulator. They are not going anywhere. Want an authentic retro gaming experience? Go blow on some cartridges you fucking zoomer.

tl;dr - Shut up and go play some Fightcade

>> No.8331706

>>8331529

Honestly, as someone who played old Bethesda games close to release, i would have loved to have their patches on day 1 instead of waiting decades for the community to finally take matters on their own hands and release a fix.

>> No.8331718

>>8331687
Oh hey, I love Siralim Ultimate. Good taste.
Personally just not into the current design aesthetic of so many modern games, so I dived back to the late 90s to have my fun and experience what I couldn't. Would be nice to make something with all that passion and influence some day, but I agree about current games being nice too. Big fan of SMTV and IV, but it does still feel like games nowadays are stuck in a bit of a rut, personally. Wish I could heihachi laugh confidently at those who doommonger, but I still worry about the direction of certain things. Worried for Sony at the very least, since it feels like they're walking into an eventual gap period, but I'm hoping all the Activision stuff leads to things splintering off and more companies staying afloat on their own.

>> No.8331881

>>8331491
Don't call me son, my kids are likely older than you which hopefully explains why you have missed the point

>> No.8331893

There is not Souls games anymore all of them look generic overhyped and unfun

>> No.8331895

>>8331389
Genx <> boomer. Pick an era

>> No.8331903

>>8331393
Who is easily offended? Of course if, in the unlikely event you have kids and, even more unlikely they reach 8yo and can game and start asking why, why, why hopefully you can explain the developer was a faggot like you.

>> No.8331919

>>8331428
>spends some of his irrecoverable and precious time on earth replying to a post complaining about this thread instead of just ignoring it

>> No.8331923

>>8325904
AAA: too much pandering to Black people as an identity group, Micrograms actions
AA/Indies: follows the leader and chases trends and lacks Genre variety than trying to give an actual authentic experience. Too many Roguelites, Platformers. Not though Puzzle Droppers,Tower Defense, Arcade style games that you could play against a CPU or couch Co-op like Tokyo Wars, Ridge Racer. Or even a small squad tactics warfare game like Commander Chaos.

Either way I think the industries themselves are just bankrupt for the most part outside of a few diamond releases every few years.

>> No.8331929

>>8330628
Yeah I agree. Especially for Indies and AA the irony is in the 90's and early 00's people did a lot more with less. And there is thousands of resources and programs that are better built than the ones back then. Yet people want to claim it's power than just going out there and doing it.

>> No.8331932

>>8331881
Older than 45? Not unless you really are a baby boomer. The fact that you haven't even replied to anything else I posted means that my faith in you was misguided. I don't care if you're some millenial who knocked up some broad at 18, at least act like a respectable father and grow some thicker skin. The last person I knew who acted as brash had to get a job as a park janitor, because everywhere else kept kicking him out. Difference between him and you is that he mellowed out and went on to teach music, while you're on here arguing about Pluto being gay or something.
Videogames should be fun, and everything else is of no consequence. Nothing difficult about that

>> No.8331939

>>8331923
*Microtransactions
*not enough puzzle droppers
*Industries themselves are creatively bankrupt.
My bad on the spellings of my post.

>> No.8331942

>>8325904
Modern games themselves are in a fairly shitty state, but they're better than they were 5 years ago. I hate the term "indie" because it's become far too associated with pixeltrash, but there's far more emphasis on smaller teams making high quality games in all genres now. Plus the modern control schemes in 3D games are just so objectively better than in the PS1/2 eras it makes a lot of non-2D games them hard to go back to.
The culture around gaming at least from dedicated hobbyist standpoint is fucking horrendous though. People who push identity politics realized you have a gigantic audience of socially retarded, impressionable, and usually downtrodden 14-30 year olds and has fully infiltrated it. It's basically impossible to have an actual discussion without some fat failed abortion larping as a neonazi, or a rainbow haired faggot repeating socially acceptable pseudo intellectual bullshit. Plus other asinine bullshit like the fucking psychotic obsessions that border on para-social relationships people have with companies now. I actively avoid trying to talk to anyone who describes themselves as a "gamer" and just talk only to my friends now

>> No.8331945

my last home console was the ps2 and the wii

>> No.8331951

>>8331932
Nice larp

>> No.8331953
File: 81 KB, 1342x1062, IMG_1645.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8325972

>> No.8331956 [DELETED] 
File: 48 KB, 750x920, 75,f.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8330553
>t.pic related

>> No.8331963

>>8331569
This is my point... Some things don't need to be in a game aimed at children.

>> No.8331969

>>8331942
>Modern games are better than they were 5 years ago
More Broken bugs on release day? More Micro transactions? More "we'll fix it later"? Can you name games?

>> No.8331984

>>8331932
Your sanctimonious bs all thru this thread. Wilful misinterpretation of other's pov because they don't buy into PC revisionism. Take either.
Btw you're the park janitor, right?

>> No.8331993

>>8326703
......and then, they can't even deliver an actual, 99% done game on release date...AND they want you to pay 100$+ for the whole experience now. I thought this was going to be a phase, but....how many years ago was Assassin's Creed Unity now? Fallout 4? Andromeda? Witcher 3 was an enjoyable fluke...but then that company crashed and burned with Cyberpunk. It's like the whole thing has reached the critical mass where the operation just DOESN'T work anymore, and they keep asking for more money. What's the point? It all feels like preachy clones of clones of clones of the OG, made by people that sure sound like they don't like me as a normal person and don't want my money. Meh I think we're in the middle of a video game "crash" and the machine only keeps moving because of advertising spent and modern political arguments moreso than actual art, story and production. The CoD formula has ruined everything, and I loved OG modern warfare.

>> No.8332019

>>8331392
Ah, sounds like the opinion of someone living comfortably off the achievements and progress created by a group that you don't belong to, and that you think you deserve to dictate just because you exist. Funny. XD The games, what you play them on, the electricity you use, the language of this text, the currency you shove into OF tips jars....it all comes from those pasty white boys, OR greasy haired Japanese. If you're not on of those...well....your opinion doesn't mean much, and it honestly sounds like you're just confusing your personal fetish with something the rest of us want anything to do with, as normal adults.

Yes, the idea of our civilization's art, language and media being broken down, burnt, then taped together and slapped back on a fridge so "you" can say "WoW hOw BrAvE aNd DiVeRsE aNd BeTtEr It iS nOw" would make actual intelligent humans uncomfortable.

>> No.8332027

>>8331969
>More Broken bugs on release day?
This is an extremely overblown criticism inspired by everyone's incessant need to be outraged by something 24/7 and that only actually affects 5-10 games a year with actual game breaking bugs or shit performance, basically all of which are yearly AAA releases that have to be delivered to get the Christmas sale bucks no matter what. Games that don't fall into this category have less bugs than they ever have.
>More Micro transactions?
so don't buy them
>Can you name games?
Sure here's what I've played and enjoyed
Hades
both RE remakes
Bloodborne
Hotline Miami
Pillars of Eternity
Spec Ops: The Line
Papers Please
Tomb Raider reboot trilogy
Witcher series
Dishonored
Payday 2
BR games that aren't PUBG
RDR2
Dead Space
Path of Exile
Risk of Rain
Wasteland 2 and 3
Elex
Valkyria Chronicles
Shadowrun trilogy
Hammerwatch
Metro trilogy
Victor Vran
Bound by Flame
Stick of Truth
Call of Juarez Gunslinger
Hard Reset
Ziggurat
Streets of Rage 4
Deus Ex HR
Rule No. 1
Fell Seal
ICEY
Sonic Mania
I'm sure I could think of more but that's over 50 games

>> No.8332029

Once you get over the idea that Western AAA developers are going to produce anything good, modern games aren't so bad. You just need to step away from the hype treadmill and say "today I will not play the latest Ubisoft game, and will instead play this new indie game, or this game from a mid-level developer that just sprouted out of nowhere". Or, you know, you could just play Nintendo games. They don't really change.

>> No.8332034

>>8331416
>The industry is pretty bankrupt creatively.
This is overall my feeling. Especially with Indies and AA. If AAA's like the Movie game formula, Indies tend to follow the safe genre's and switch very little over the years. There is hardly much genre variety sadly.
>My only other real complaint is the lack of graphical improvements every gen. 3->4->5->6th gen all had notable and amazing leaps in graphics that were mindblowing at the time, but the 7->8->9th don't quite have the same amazing technical leaps as their predecessors.
The reason is there is only so much polygons you can push overall. The real leap was from PS2 to PS3 which was just monumental. We went from slightly 3D sprites to fully 3D and with detail. The era after i would say was much more about graphical fidelity but really was nothing to write home about. I do think there needs to be much more advancements in Color Gamut(HDR), Audio and other places

>> No.8332043

>>8332027
Hard mode do not use Indies and Japanese Games.

>> No.8332048

>>8332029
Well because Nintendo is a Gaming Company first unlike Sony and Microsoft that is a Tech Company first and a Gaming company second. It's no wonder why people are complaining about the state of the industry. When all you play is Sony and Microsoft consoles, and not try to at least go the Nintendo and PC route you end up just thinking that is how all games are.

>> No.8332051

>>8331932
Boomer is not an age, but a state of mind. It's acceptance of mediocrity and not wanting to care about your community, your society, your vidya and culture because i just wanna grill.

>> No.8332059

>>8332043
there are 4 Japanese made games on that entire list. jap games are trash, Capcom is the only good dev in the entire country
there are also multiple games published by Ubisoft, take two, square enix, Sega, EA, Sony, Microsoft, Epic and Activision on it.
Stop desperately trying to cope that games aren't shit just so you can keep feeling angry about something

>> No.8332181
File: 1.82 MB, 320x240, 1486325092440.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm in my late 40's and honestly think things have always been great. Even as picky as I am I can't remember a single year when I've played everything that came out that I wanted to. I couldn't even say whether I like it better these days or back in the 80's and 90's.

>> No.8332198

>>8332059
> jap games are trash
Granted that is your taste in games, but I have to suggest if Capcom was really the only good Jap dev the entire thing industry would look quite different.

>> No.8332204

>>8332181
Interesting, would you say your taste in games has substantially changed through these eras, ignoring the changes brought directly by technology trends?

>> No.8332253

>>8325904
Overall it hasn't changed much, most games are shit, some unknown ones are surprisingly good, most major titles are very good.
Most games being shit has moved somewhat, now it is no longer the movie tie in or cheap Sports game which are the usual suspektes, but 90% of every Online catalogue, steam, epic, Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, all flooded with crap indie or shovel ware.
But, the last point, most majors being good, is cause back in the early days, or even not so early days, even major releases being mediocre to crap wasn't uncommon, this is no longer the case in the most part.
What's real bad? DRM didn't prove to be the real problem, forced online didn't prove to be the real problem, micro transactions, games as a service, no more physical media proved to be the real problems.
Things that seemed major, like EA turning from free spirited artsy company into evil megacorp and the whole market following, games becoming mainstream and bigger than Hollywood and so forth, it all fixed itself with the introduction of indies, well now we already have major indies but that will fix itself too.
All in all I'm fine with things, I saw games become home entertainment, I saw games become bigger than Hollywood and your Standard entertainment, I saw games going VR.

>> No.8332319

>>8332253
So much of this I can relate to. Rpg elements (story driven games with a persistent character that can be built up over time) helped games get a grip on me. Luckily more games than ever scratch this itch. Even in pay to win games I prefer to build a character up the hard way. Yse Im cheap, but it really is more fun.

>> No.8332361
File: 1.60 MB, 300x200, 4f5.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8332204
Mostly my tastes have remained pretty similar, fighting games for example have been a favorite this whole time, even though whether I'm playing one at a given time can change. Others like RPGs I used to love but burnt out on by around the mid 00's and only very rarely play. But strategy games like Civ I seem to enjoy more.

>> No.8332403

>>8332361
Lol the Chang gif

>> No.8332458

>>8325904
whenever I see such photos I feel like people who have such setups don't actually play videogames.
>what is your input/sentiment towards the contemporary gen industry, community and the quality of games across the board?
oversaturation and race for golden mythical wider audience
>Good to any extent?
There are some good moments, but mostly in how easy is to get anything and play at any moment.
>Bad to any extent?
mostly worse, but I'm biased as anyone who visits this board. I feel like variety is actually way less, despite people chasing that "innovation" carrot. Because while chasing that innovation carrot they forgot actual basics of game genres and what actually made them fun.
Constant communication with fanbase and receiving feedback by smaller devs who needs to cater for his playerbase instead of making what he wants to make - essentially made some games which could turn up great - end up mediocre.
There are a lot of things, including never ending patching and development post release.
>Much worse than the old times?
yes, videogames are now trendy and mainstream. Call me a hipster for what I care, but because there are tons of money changing hands and popularity contests and dreams of being an overnight hit and fears of being unnoticed in oversaturated market - development now is a mess.
While before you could release new game and fail and continue making new one, or succeed and continue making another one, just doing the best you can within limited powers. Then sell like few dozen thousands copies and that would met expectations. You could create finished product and move on.
Now risks are higher and developers are scared shitless to lose a grab or attention of the playerbase they attracted. You need to update, create DLC, provide support via patches, etc.

Hell, even your general playerbase changed. In an age where you at any moment can play thousands upon thousands of games via flick of the finger, people are shitless scared to lose their playerbase

>> No.8332596

>>8331706
That's a fair point. It would be disingenuous of me to act like every retro game was always 100% fine. Although in Bethesda's case it's not any better now judging by their new releases, especially Fallout 76.

>> No.8332601
File: 21 KB, 347x403, a346a5ad56beebfe7c4012c4412d98bac4715befr1-347-403v2_00.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8331953
>that pic

>> No.8332609

>>8332034
>Especially with Indies
I give indies a bit more leeway since it's difficult to develop a game on your own and I can understand trying to hop onto a trend to get some money, but yeah, overall there aren't too many that are creative outside of the big names and even those are derivative of retro games. Honestly, the most creative and soulful indie games I've played have majority been RPGmaker games but those usually get pushed to the wayside.
>The real leap was from PS2 to PS3 which was just monumental
After reading your post and thinking some more about it I do agree. Comparing FFX to FFXIII graphically is astonishing when I compare the two.

>> No.8332612

>>8325904
One thing I've noticed, because of the advent of social media and fans having immediate contact with game developers, is that a lot of game devs seem to hate their consumers now. If a game flops they'll blame the gamers and chastise them on social media for whatever arbitrary reason they come up with. Granted, I'm sure a lot of devs have always hated their consumers, but at least they kept it to themselves and didn't air out their dirty laundry about it.

>> No.8332653
File: 167 KB, 400x150, sherm118.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8332403
Thanks it's one of my faves.

>>8332458
>Now risks are higher and developers are scared shitless to lose a grab or attention of the playerbase they attracted. You need to update, create DLC, provide support via patches, etc.

I think this is one of the best things about modern gaming actually. That companies feel the need to really make their games shine and fix shit when it breaks because there's so much for gamers to play is a positive pressure on the industry. And I know some people here look down on it, but I love when a game I'm enjoying gets some DLC I think is cool. It's easy to ignore when it's something lame like horse armor, but when it's an expansion or extra characters in a fighter I love it.

>> No.8332667

>>8332653
>I think this is one of the best things about modern gaming actually.
Dunno, it has it moments, but it also forces some games to have endless development cycles, as well as tweaks for sake of (vocal) majority of playerbase instead of sticking and doing what they actually want. And DLCs are planned beforehand so even launch of the game is no longer considering some sort of finishing line, so games are constantly in "not really" complete state.

It's extra burden which also affects quality in general as well as game's character.
and
>That companies feel the need to really make their games shine and fix shit when it breaks
Is that really the case? Shipping broken games nowadays is a new norm. Yes, they will get eventually fixed, probably. But why that is suddenly a normal thing?
Patches are always expected as well as DLC because everyone is aware that the new game they got is not "complete" nor "finished".
Now instead of making clear cut at some points during game production and focus on less so you can ramp up quality - now you can just half ass something and finish it later via DLC or something. Because the more content is universally seems like a good thing, regardless of said content quality.

>> No.8332687

>>8332653
on the flipside, you also have patches being used as a means of forced censorship for content and scrubbing ALL "flaws" from a game, like even bugs that may be fun to mess around with, like they are ashamed of their handiwork or dont want their video game to feel like it and instead make it a squeaky clean experience.

for dlc, you will lever have the same level of rapid fire sequels trying new things, instead just adding onto whats out now. and pray to god those games with heavy dlc content get complete editions or else they are lost to the digital nethers.

>> No.8332898

>>8332667
I don't mind that DLC is planned ahead of time so long as it's good in the end. And yeah games being broken or buggy on release day but that's hardly new, I remember the first week of Tribes 2 being a total clusterfuck and that was ages ago. Also though I almost never buy games right when they come out, so maybe it's selfish but so long as it eventually gets fixed I'll play it then.

>>8332687
I don't see clearing up bugs like that or updating as bad but I can see your perspective. And similarly I'm fine without rapidfire sequels trying to change up the last game, more often than not I don't think that works out.

Also and I know this makes me an outlier here too, but I have zero interest in collecting physical media anymore. I know the arguments against it but the convenience of just downloading out weighs them for me.

>> No.8332961

>>8332898
You know which things also get "fixed" at times? Actual good and fun gameplay mechanics.
There are plenty of examples when game after year of patches is completely different from what you played initially. Patches not only "fix" things, they change stuff around sometimes for dumbest reasons.
Yours "eventually" fixed complete experience may be just sterile version of the game which lost all it's spark and character.
Or contrary, it'll be tuned for hardcore lunatics screaming bloody murder on forums and entry game experience will be completely lost for a new player.

>> No.8333030

>>8332961
What are some examples of that which stand out to you? I can see the issue potentially but can't think of any.

>> No.8333072

>>8332961
Not them, but it personally doesn't matter much to me, since usually there are hacks to bring that stuff back, or generally it just isn't that big of a deal. At least, in my opinion, from what I've seen. I play a lot of fighting games, and although I do like vanilla Sagat, I accept the iterations that came after.

>> No.8333126

>>8332612
The big companies refuse to accept responsibility for their flops blaming evil white male gamers for being too racist to throw money at them. Then there's a decent pile of small indie "auteurs" that develop superiority complexes after slogging away without sunlight for a decade or two. Yeah, checks out.

>> No.8333141

>>8333030
Such extreme examples is mostly for PC games.
Easiest example of game changing completely - Stellaris.
Example where entry game experience is just off because devs focused on end-game content ignoring early game experience - GrimDawn, like how game has crafting mechanic but you'll never see rifle blueprint until end game.

Consoles wise it is more trickier to find examples this bad, but considering how PC is basically example of what completely digital media will bring to the table, I think it's safe to assume that will be the case. Considering Early Access unfinished titles are already available via some subscriptions on consoles. I recall questionable other ARPG about 40k being redone on consoles too, even tho it was for the better, arguably, it's still not the game it was on release.
Or how for example you can get tons of free shit in Monster Hunter World if you buy it as is, basically ruining your game experience via "cheat" of gear, which you got because they want for you to buy expansion.
And please no, "just don't use this great armor which you got for free", firstly it's dumb not to use what game provides you, secondly, it's already different experience that one people got when game was out.
>>8333072
Good on you. Online games certainly benefited from never ending patches and support, even tho modern SF5 looks like F2P garbage you paid money for but I digress.
Either way, unless something made big fuss online - you'll never know what kind of a game it was on release, regardless how it changed. So you won't even be looking for hacks because you'll not be aware of need of them.
Do you really think people will keep preserving older game versions forever? Especially with how tied everything to online is - will they even work? In oversaturated market where dozens of games released daily and hundreds being updated and that will only grow?
That would be optimistic.

>> No.8333196

>>8333141
>Easiest example of game changing completely - Stellaris.
Another grand strategy gamer I see. Paradox is notorious for ruining their games to "balance" things. I played Stellaris on 1.03 I think? and had fun with it. Then years later I updated to the recent versions and it's an entirely different game where a lot of the old strats and mechanics are basically meaningless now.
EU4 pisses me off the most though. Johan, the retard, decided to balance the game in one update to make corruption go up x3 the more provinces you had. It sounded good on paper when playing as developed countries in Europe, but it absolutely destroyed hordes and khanate gameplay since the entire point of those is to become huge or else you can't play the fucking game since it's all about war. So they made basically 70% of eurasia unplayable and completely irrelevant.

>> No.8333198

>>8332029
>Or, you know, you could just play Nintendo games. They don't really change.
I wish this was true. Nothing stays the same forever and I've moved on.

>> No.8333213

>>8332612
To be honest, the play base is pretty fucking trashy nowadays. People sending death threats and actually acting out on them or setting places on fire. I agree about the airing out though, they shouldn't just blame the consumers on not buying a game. Sometimes the market is just not in your favor.
I would definitely defend a dev just staying quiet and not trying to build a game with the community. QA exists for a reason, and I'd be driven mad if I had to put up with every crazy person complaining about balance patches, or thinking they know more about game development. Much rather a team talk amongst themselves rather than the hell of having to sit through twitter or some place sifting through the replies and arguments for a good idea. Helps keep the vision of the game from getting too cloudy

>> No.8333221
File: 146 KB, 220x268, file.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8333196
I'm not really that big of grand strategy person, aside of first Europa Universalis way back when it was new - I didn't play any until Stellaris actually. Mostly just 4Xs instead.
So it was my first time meeting with modern Paradox approach and watching slowly how game changes into something completely different and removes all the good things it had, and rebalances just to favor some people who actually have time to play this game online. Or how DLC add seemingly interesting things which just half baked and then forgotten about, while patch just gives you some even less working bread crumbs of said DLCs. And so on.
I guess I should be thankful that it only took one game to learn what Paradox is today and stay the fuck away from them?

>> No.8333235

>>8333213
>People sending death threats and actually acting out on them or setting places on fire
I know death threats happen, but has there actually been any instances of something being done? I know there's those crazy chinks in China attacking people over Genshin Impact but China is so removed from western gaming demographics that I don't really factor that in. Honestly, death threats aren't something I've ever taken seriously and half the time I assume people claim to have gotten them just for pity-points. I get the threats alone can be scary, i don't know, maybe I'm just desensitized to it from working security and hearing homeless and drug addicts threaten to kill me when I kick them out for loitering.

>> No.8333241

>>8333141
>you paid money for
>SF5
What? I was talking about SFIV, my guy. And no, for the most part, people try as hard as they can, but can't really preserve everything. And if they do, I don't know how well it would be supported. That said, I don't think it should be supported by the devs themselves since I'd rather they work on the current build and trying to get things to be fun.
The Monhun problem is weird, since its the same as someone getting a "click here to start the expansion now" button, in retrospect. If it were me, I would just hold off on using it for a while, then use it if I felt things were getting stale. It's like legendaries in Pokemon: people complain about them but I would just box it and use my team. Self control does a lot

>> No.8333257

>>8333221
Yeah, nu-paradox is shit. Best to just stay away from all their new games. CK2 is the only new game they've released I would recommend and that came out back in 2012. I don't know if you ever played Victoria, but their releasing V3 and decided to remove combat and war altogether from the game for being "too complex". The devs are just retarded now.
Their DLC approach is awful. They've made it to where their all soft-locked if you only buy their base games, with mechanics and entire countries rendered useless until you fork money over for their 20+ expansion packs.

>> No.8333287

>>8333235
For anime, there actually was a studio that got set on fire with a big number of deaths from it. Even without death threats, I personally wouldn't want to put my vision of something out there because usually it just gets too muddled. If it's just the studio and the game turns out good, you feel great about what you accomplished.
If you get help from the community, you wonder about how much of it was because of what you did, or because of them. Might lead to being stuck taking more community output.
If it's just the studio and the game turns out bad, you at least can learn from your mistakes and know that at least you got your vision out.
If they get help and it still turns out bad, then it gets hard to figure out why it did, and you can't expect a community to learn from that, because it's not their job to make the game, it's yours. Getting feedback is nice and all, but when it comes to stuff like "You have to participate in the community of your game!" and "You should listen to fans for advice on where to take the story"? No thanks, I just want to keep making games.

>> No.8333309

I honestly think that individual games are better now than they were in the 7th gen. The difficulty of games crept back up thanks to Dark Souls, and the standards for storytelling have improved; people are more likely to judge "artistic" games on how they executed their concepts instead of giving them a pass just for trying (see: Bioshock Infinite, Braid). The way that every game skews towards Ubisoft open worlds is annoying, but it's a lot better than every game skewing towards Call of Duty.

There's just not enough of them. AA games are dead and each new title has to carry the weight of an entire fiscal quarter. The 9th gen seems to be the breaking point; nobody's making exclusives for them and the consoles are focusing on resolution and framerate over graphical fidelity

>> No.8333403

>>8331672
>Gaming has never been in a better place
In large part this depends on how you define better. I don't necessarily believe that more complexity is better. Have you counted the number of buttons on your controllers lately? Have you ever handed one to a person that has never used one before? I'm not fond of the direction modern gaming has gone. I much prefer the family entertainment experience. This is why I keep looking back to retro consoles. I'm shocked that Nintendo, out of all the big video game companies, hasn't started up a simpler modern product line.

>> No.8333497

>>8333403

>I don't necessarily believe that more complexity is better.
>Have you ever handed one to a person that has never used one before?

Last christmas, my niece, who has never touched a dualshock 4 before, had a blast playing Overcooked and was quite adequate at it. Entry level games are still a thing, you should not hand a newbie Dark souls and expect him to enjoy it. The gap between the veteran and the novice has grown, and you will find games for both sides of the isle.
Also, it was a fairly common practice on the industry, especially with strategy games, to force the player into reading the manual, and having it close for colsultation, for any shot at comprehension. What is the last time you have read a modern game manual? Actually, what's the last time you saw a manual that wasn't just an ad slip?
What i am saying is: Thank god tooltips have become standard practice.

>I'm shocked that Nintendo, out of all the big video game companies, hasn't started up a simpler modern product line.

To be fair, that's what they succesfully did with the 3DS. Why they stopped is up to debate, but considering their increasing number of mobile releases i lie the blame at the foot of the smartphone industry.

>> No.8333513

>>8332027

>Bound by flame

Gotta respect someone with eccletic taste going against the grain, but that game is just plain wrong

>> No.8333540

This thread is not retro games, it's a thread about modern games from an OP who can't be bothered to use /v/ where it belongs.

>> No.8333576

Current generation of games are okay if you’re really into multiplayer titles. There are still a lot of good games that come out, but I’m just not interested in keeping up with it as much anymore. I prefer to play retro titles and find indie movies instead. I don’t participate in culture wars

>> No.8333635

Current gen gaming fails to hold my interest because no one's doing any really cool shit. My niche is "experimental" stuff, but there's really a glut of this nowadays while it kinda peaked in the 90s and early 2000s. I share the same feelings as most of the people here re:indie games, the indie style just bores me to death. I'm sure a lot of them have good gameplay but I'll have to overcome how surprisingly dull 90% of them look, because damn almost none of them have charm for some reason.

>>8332612
The worst change social media has made is that it often takes away the "personal experience" factor games should have. For instance I just saw a tweet someone linked to a unique dialogue from SMTV with 5000 retweets and 1900 likes, and it just makes me think, damn imagine all the people that are seeing this before playing the game. This rubs me wrong in a way that's hard to articulate. When you experience something charming in a game and your first instinct is to rush and post it to twitter for likes, are you really experiencing the game?

>> No.8333798

>>8333513
what's wrong with it? it's not anything revolutionary, but it does what it wants to do well enough. its only 15ish hours long and doesn't overstay it's welcome and the choice system it has is kinda cool since it actually affects gameplay.
it reminded me a lot of games that made perfect weekend rentals when we were younger.
I paid $7 for it, played it about a week, had fun, and haven't touched it since.

>> No.8333851

>>8333798

Story, ambience, aesthetics, soundtrack and such are extremely generic and uninspired
Combat is shallow and brainless, and the skill tree is there only for an ilusion of depth
Textures come and go, stretch and twist
Glitches abound

I played the 360 version near launch, and that may have been a different experience from yours, but mine was extremely miserable, constantly having to fight a plethora of glitches and bugs and ignore the graphical issues to find a flavourless experience underneath. Eventually my save file got corrupted some 4 hours in and that was it. A hidden gem, this is definitely not.

>> No.8333901

>>8333851
I haven't owned a console or played a console game beside bloodborne in over 10 years now so I can't comment on how it runs on them, but it works fine on the PC.