[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 243 KB, 850x1105, VirtuaFighter3_Model3_US_Flyer.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8315076 No.8315076 [Reply] [Original]

>It's late 1996.
>You are tasked to bring the newest cutting edge arcade title Virtua Fighter 3 to Sega Saturn.
>Despite what the media is led to believe, it's very unlikely that you will have access to any external hardware in Sega Saturn cart form factor.
>There is a significant hype for that new Tekken 3 game. Apparently it uses PSX hardware, so a home console port is very likely. You should curb stomp that one as well.
>Sega Saturn sales suffer, so if you fail, Sega officially withdraws from gen 5 and stops supporting Saturn. "It's do or die, son!".
How would you approach the task? How would you optimize the graphics? What will you cut and what will you try to retain as much as possible?

>> No.8315084

make a Sonic game instead

>> No.8315093
File: 84 KB, 700x694, 1592794661266.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8315084

>> No.8315103

>>8315084
>Another team is tasked with that one already. They just got burned out a bit and went to a trip to Aokugahara. Don't worry, they'll be fine.

>> No.8315113

>>8315076
saturn is already dead in late 1996 so start working on making the dreamcast port

>> No.8315120

>>8315113
>Genki will handle that one. Kindly do what you are told, anon-kun. Be a good Japanese corporate wageslave. You don't want to be dishonored for life, do you?

>> No.8315132 [DELETED] 
File: 107 KB, 520x432, Mornin Fukaz!.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'd MANGLE that!

>> No.8315143

>>8315076
dude who cares how i'd approach it, give whatever it is to smilebit and go home and play some super mario 64 and watch the new episode of friends and be happy i'm back in the good days

>> No.8315204

Cancel it, make a chibi fighter instead

>> No.8315601

VF3 wouldn't have saved Saturn in the west, it didn't have the same pull as it did in Japan.

I'd simply travel back further in time and offer Square anything to become a Saturn exclusive developer.

>> No.8315770

Grab the VF2 engine, improve it, make the game looks even better than VF2, add a ton of extras, release game. There's not much more that could be done with the Saturn hardware.

I believe that's why they never bothered releasing a Saturn VF3 port. Without the Model 3 tech it would be just another 3D fighting game.

>>8315601
For reasons unknown, Square hated Sega. Wouldn't happen.

>> No.8316165

>>8315076
VF3 was actually ported to SS but never released. I remember reading a article about that how they split rendering of every character on screen to a different chip on the Saturn the backgrounds were done like in Tekken and ran on the sound chip or something wack like that. It supposedly ""worked"" but in a way that would warrant a serious release.

>> No.8316195

>>8315770
>reasons unknown
I mean Sega was a Yakuza affiliated company.

>> No.8316201

>>8315770
>For reasons unknown, Square hated Sega
Associating with perpetual losers isn't good for a company that want's to make a profit.

>> No.8316204

>>8315770
Fighters Megamix was kind of that. Fighting Vipers was an improved VF2 engine with support for interactive lightning. Unfortunately Megamix ended up closer to Vipers and did not play like VF at all, despite adding nearly all the VF3 moves and even Aoi as Janet.

Saturn VF3 would've most likely looked like Fighters Megamix with the backgrounds from Last Bronx.

>>8316165
No, that was how VF2 worked, they used a separate SH2 to draw each character on screen, and the backgrounds were all on the second VDP using 2d tricks.
The part about using the sound chip is horse shit, that would just impede performance. It's a 12MHz 68000, you can't run a 3d game on it. No Saturn game ever used the 68000 for anything other than sound, except for Exhumed/Powerslave where the 68k was idling.

They DID make VF3 working on the Saturn though, the rumours say they even had two versions, one in hi-res and one in low-res. Seeing that in action would be so awesome. The only "Saturn VF3" screenshots are mis-attributed screenshots of an incomplete Model 3 emulator.

>> No.8316215

>>8316204
>The part about using the sound chip is horse shit, that would just impede performance. It's a 12MHz 68000, you can't run a 3d game on it.
Why would rotating a single billboard be impossible on 12MHz processor?

>> No.8317403

>>8316215
Because you have to deal with the complexity of communicating with that chip and making sure the results are synced with the main code, plus now you have to write the same math code on another cpu architecture, and all the while the sound chip has to handle sound as well. It's not worth breaking up the workflow of your code just so you can translate 1 additional polygon.

And again, you are just mixing up shit you heard once, or what was badly reported by gaming magazines who had no fucking clue how the hardware worked. What every Saturn 3d fighter did after VF Remix was displaying the polygons on the VDP1 and the background on the VDP2. Because you had two chips working on different parts, gaming magazines reported it as bullshit like the main cpu and the sound cpu working on different parts (also making it "two chips" working together).
This has been a common rumour, you even had people claiming Radiant Silvergun using the sound chip for extra oomph, but that game uses a bog standard sound driver running on the 68k and nothing else. Same as every other Saturn game.

>> No.8317778

>>8316215
Why would you need to do that on the 68K when VDP2 literally does that for you? It's how the floor is drawn in every Saturn 3D Fighter save for the original Virtua Fighter Port. You literally just give VDP2 a coefficient table, set the registers right for the RBG layers and it will just do the rest for you when you tell it to rotate the plane. It requires no CPU processing other than just telling VDP2 how much to rotate it and where.

You get 2 of those layers (though if you use both at the same time you lose other all other layers), but you don't even need to use both if you want multiple levels because you can do things by setting certain modes which draws the plane with 2 different sets of parameters at a split point. You can take this even further by setting up windows that define different parameters for different regions within a plane. This is what makes stuff like this possible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJsr2j9ghOA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSHJ8x7L2rM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOsUdG8P9pg

>> No.8317828

>>8317778
This could be used to simulate irregular surfaces for Saturn VF3 port

>> No.8317960

>>8317828
You could just use it for the base floor layers like the other 3D Fighters do on Saturn. What do you think draws the ring in Virtua Fighter Remix, Virtua Fighter 2, Dead or Alive, or the floors in Fighting Vipers, Fighter's Megamix, and Last Bronx? You can use the window feature Grandia uses to get 2 base levels out of one rotational plane. If you really want to get fancy use interrupts to get more windows or the mutli-parameter mode Radiant silvergun uses to get more an additional base level or 2. From there you can fill in the gaps with polygons. You'd still have to reduce polygon counts down, but considering you're going from Model 3 to Saturn that's to be expected.

I'd say expect something like Last Bronx or Dead or Alive but with a few more base floor levels.

>> No.8318045

>>8316195
There is absolutely zero proof of this.

>> No.8318116

>>8315076
I think it would have been perfectly acceptable to just make the backgrounds flat like vf2 saturn, I think fighting games are popular because people want to learn the moved at home to beat people in the arcade.

>>8316204
So dumb to have a 68000 and not be backwards compatible. Every other console they did had it and they take it out the one time people would have cared.

>> No.8318835

>>8315084
Naka wouldn't be too happy about that haha.

>> No.8319873

>>8318835
He should've been fired back in 1992 when he decided to leave SOJ because of his ego.

>> No.8319993

>>8316204
I've read that Shining Force 3 uses the sound cpu to load 3d data in an effort to reduce/hide load times. I'm not too sure that's true, however.