[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 1.54 MB, 2800x2480, PS2-Versions.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8310698 No.8310698 [Reply] [Original]

Does the PS2 Slim have bad seating with discs?
>get San Andreas off Amazon brand new
>put game into PS2 Slim that I've played Persona 3 and Disgaea 2, along with PS1 games, on with no issues
>notice the disc takes a bit more effort to click into place than other games
>PS2 logo reads, systems sees it's a PS2 game, but screen stays black
>put same disc into fat PS2
>boots up and plays with no issue
I really don't want to have two PS2s hooked up just to play all my games.

>> No.8311116

>>8310698
Sounds like a personal problem.

>> No.8311206

>>8310698
Its that particular playstation disk reading thingy, you have to get it replaced because you might otherwise ruin new disks you try and use on it, your old persona disk has already 'grown accustomed' to the way it reads it

>> No.8311265

>>8310698
PS2s, especially slim PS2s, are very shoddy when it comes to their DVD drives. You can recalibrate your PS2 slim DVD drive by adjusting the pot to the correct voltage, but there's likely an underlying issue causing that unrelated to it actually falling out of calibration. Likely some sort of failing cap or a power supply issue.
I'd recommend sticking with PS2 fats, but those are honestly a crapshoot too.
Try cleaning your lens if for some reason you haven't.

>> No.8311307

>>8310698
Slims are poopy, did you get one solely for space management? My SCPH-39001 fat still runs fine, never had a problem.

>> No.8311313

>>8311265
Most of the time you just need to clean the lens and switches and relube the rails. That's usually all it needs. OPs problem is an issue with the microswitch not being able to detect its position due to the microswitch on the laser being oxidized. Easy clean with some deoxit and it'll work fine.

>> No.8311343

You can shave or drill the inner circle of the discs a bit for them to fit, this also has the benefit of getting rid of garbage data.

>> No.8311829

>>8311307
Same model, found mine in a garage sale inside a dusty box 5 years ago. Paid $5 and the runs like new.

>> No.8311865

>ps2
>discs
>2021 almost 2022

you deserve

>> No.8311875

>>8311865
I've been using HDD + OPL for a couple of years now and discs are unironically still the best way to play PS2 games. OPL is convenient, but with all of the compatibility mode checks + minor game specific issues that you're going to run into I guarantee you're going to have a better experience and the games are going to play exactly the way they're supposed to if you're using discs.

>> No.8311878

>>8311875
meds

>> No.8311883

>>8311878
if you actually have nothing to say or add you don't have to post, anon

>> No.8311907

>>8310698
Not retro.

>> No.8311913

>>8311865
Zoom zoom, you little bitch

>> No.8311936

>>8311913
>old systems getting odes
>nostalgiafags and shizos complain

you will never be happier again

>> No.8311941

>>8311907
how come? sixth gen consoles are peak retro
pairing a 4th and a 6th on a good crt makes for an awesome setup

>> No.8311967

>>8311941
ew

>> No.8312943

>>8311875
This. It's a good thing PS2s are so abundant currently, but we really need an ODE as a long term solution.

>> No.8313172

>>8311936
PS2 doesn't have an ODE

>> No.8314696

>>8311875
>OPL is convenient, but with all of the compatibility mode checks + minor game specific issues
How big a deal is that stuff? I recently bought a PS2 and was intending to use OPL with it through SMB, wasn't aware that it had compatibility issues.

>> No.8314934

>>8314696
I'd estimate about 90% of games work perfectly out of the box and 95% work with the correct configuration tweaks. HDD is a little more compatible,

>> No.8314974

>>8314696
I ran into some glitches concerning the Rampage missions in the GTA games that I haven't seen documented elsewhere. They mess with your ammo count and weaponry held in your inventory once you complete them. Sometimes they'll give you substantially more ammo, sometimes they'll remove ammo, and on rare occasions (I particularly noticed this with drive-by Rampages) they'll remove weapons from your inventory completely. I can confirm this happens in both III and Vice City, and that no mixture of compatibility or HDD modes fixes the issue, but I haven't tried out San Andreas. It isn't a huge deal, the games are still playable, I haven't noticed anything else out of sorts, but point is they don't play exactly the way they're supposed to. These are also very popular PS2 games, so the fact that no one else caught this is concerning, and should keep you on your toes when it comes to lesser known games in the library. If something seems a bit off, it probably is.
Also keep in mind that the current official compatibility list is extremely incomplete, and that the compatibility lists floating around elsewhere are outdated, so even if you do set up all of your games with the compatibility modes listed in those, there's a chance that the newer version of OPL doesn't quite agree and you'll have to experiment on your own to get games working. Also some games I've seen listed to work I couldn't get to run for the life of me. Big Mutha Truckers 2 for instance would boot but would never make it past the splash screen no matter what I did. I haven't tried this one since OPL 1.0 released though.
This is all from HDD by the way. If you're using OPL through SMB, I wouldn't be surprised if some of these issues were fixed, mitigated, or worse. There are a lot of variables when it comes to OPL.

>> No.8315585

>>8314974
>>8314934
Fuck, the entire reason I wanted an actual PS2 instead of just emulating is because of all the little irritations of PSCX2. Sounds like I'm trading one headache for another.

>> No.8315816

>>8315585
This is not a problem at all with most games from HDD, and you can always use discs if something's wrong, don't let anon scare you, just be mindful it might happen.

>> No.8316514

>>8315816
I'm not meaning to scare the anon away from PS2 or OPL, I do prefer it over PCSX2 by quite a bit, I just think it's important to note that problems do exist. I think it's fair to say that most games don't have problems, but it's honestly hard to say exactly how many issues have been undocumented, even if the issues are minor. Then there are infuriating cases like both PS2 Max Payne games, Deus Ex, Transformers, plus a few others I'm sure I'm forgetting that are completely unplayable in OPL due to issues with them freezing after a certain amount of loading, and it's a problem that will likely never be fixed. OPL is by no means a perfect solution and discs are the best way to go, inarguably, but OPL isn't completely without value. It's convenient to have a ton of games sitting on an HDD you can pick and choose from, and the games that seemingly work without issue make the experience worthwhile. I've been focusing on the issues here but like I said, it's fair to say that most games do seem to work fine. There are just too many variables with OPL and without a genuine ODE solution playing PS2 games from storage will never be ideal.

>> No.8316543

>>8310698
I just bought a minty PS2 slim a week ago. It plays nothing. Doesn't read dvd's or cd's. I paid probably around 10 to 15 for the system with its cords, two controllers, a red memory card, and a dongle for a wireless guitar hero controller.
The lasers in these consoles are absolute shit. They just drop dead over nothing but time.

>> No.8316571

Get an OG that’s still working. I had a slim and it had issues. I thought it was scratching discs, but they still worked in my OG.

>> No.8316787

>>8316571
I thought that was only just a personal issue, I swear the slims scratch disks somehow.

>> No.8316802

>>8316787
The ribbon cable underneath the drive can scratch them. Different slims have a different likelihood of doing it, too.

>> No.8317703

>get San Andreas off Amazon brand new
>brand new

Rockstar still prints it?

>> No.8318543

>>8317703
>Rockstar still prints it?
Given how San Andreas is the best selling PS2 game of all time (and that's just the legit copies alone, imagine the number of bootleg copies, modded or not, around), the brand new copies are probably new old stock that were printed when the PS2 was in its last legs.