[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 53 KB, 450x550, Retro_Console_Clones_1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
830062 No.830062 [Reply] [Original]

Seriously considering the purchase of a clone console today. I've been doing my research and it looks like it will boil down to an FC Twin or Retro Duo.

I have a working SNES (although it has power plug issues on the back) and an NES (needs AC adapter, controllers, and not sure if it even works anymore). I'm aware I could just get the two units fixed up for the same price but it's honestly more for having something to play the games on without burning out the original systems.

So which of those two are the best of the clone systems? Any better ones I may not be aware of? Should I wait for that RetroN 5 thing that was announced in March?

>> No.830067

Just get a refurbished toploading NES and SNES with an Everdrive.

>> No.830096

>>830067
Not OP, but you say that like a toploader and everdrive are cheap and readily available.

>> No.830102

>>830067

I've seen a toploader at a local shop going for $80+ so that's not really the option I'm going for.

I understand what I'm buying and that I'm buying it to pacify any needs for playing the physical games I have. I just want to know which of the few that are out there would be worth buying.

>> No.830114

Not op, but me and my brother wanted to get those Retrons with the NES, SNES, and Genesis slots. Is it recommendable?

>inb4 get the real thing.
I'm not made of money to be buying from the price gougers in my city!

>> No.830135

I have a RetroDuo with an SNES PowerPak. It's pretty nice.

>> No.830178

If it counts for anything, FC Twin can't play Castlevania 3. The opening cutscene tries to play but its all glitchy and then it crashes once it tries to change over to gameplay. I've tried my cart in both a frontloading and toploading NES models and it works fine in those. I haven't had any problems playing any other carts, limited though that list may be.

>> No.830183

Retro Duo is kinda neat. I like how it's small and portable, however, it is cheaply made. Not all SNES and NES will work with it and you will not get the full sound capabilities. If you want to use a real SNES controller with it, you can, but only for one player. It will not work for two players. Doing so will make both controllers not work. I don't know about the FC Twin because I do not own one

>> No.830209

>>830178
Castlevania 3 won't play in a Retro Duo either
There are only like 5 games that won't play on either.

>> No.830208

>>830114
Yes but right now just wait till around October for the Retron 5 to be released (Plays 9 different systems including GBA GBC GB)

>> No.830306
File: 115 KB, 800x800, retron3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've had very good luck with the Retron 3 so far. Has all three major consoles and controller ports for them to boot. Good rig.

>> No.830339

>>830306
>all three major consoles

Poor TG16, not even included with his generation brethren

>> No.830343

some Capcom SNES games don't work correct on any famiclone (Super GnG, Mickey's Magical Quest, Demon's Crest)

>> No.830421

>>830062

The gen x controllers break easily. Also certain games don't work on it, such as castlevania 3.

>> No.830432

Save your money and get the Retron 5 when it comes out. It also emulates GB GBC and GBA.

Android software too.

>> No.830429

>>830339
TG16 is an interesting console with some really good games, but it was not considered a major console in the west as it barely made any sort of dent in the market

>> No.830440

>>830062
If you decided to get a RetroN 5, wait until a month or two after it comes out. For all anyone knows, it might suck.

>> No.830450

>>830440
http://vgmxcolumbus.com/pre-order-the-retron-5/

it looks pretty great so far.

they say they're aiming for 100% compatibility.

so it probably won't be released till they have at least 98%

>> No.830516

>>830450
Guy you're responding to here. I already own one.

>> No.830630

>>830062
I've always wondered about these. Kind of assumed they were shit/cash in on retro being 'cool' again.
>>830102
I know your feels. A toploader *should* be cheap/available but I've never seen one less that the 80-100 range locally. Scalpfaggots

>> No.830738

>paying for something worse than emulators

ya done goofed

>> No.830838

Well I got the pearl white/purple FC Twin today for $50. Everything I've tried so far works fine. The directional pad is a bit wonky but other than that no real issues. I am not a fan of the lack of eject button but it's only annoying with NES games.

>> No.830884

>>830516
Have you tried Castlevania 3?

>> No.830928
File: 17 KB, 247x239, 1363401009737.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>830450
>Plays Gameboy stuff too

I may need to get one of these

>> No.830938

>>830928
You have to come into a specific store to pre-order? Don't got those around here.

>> No.830962

If the retron 5 is anything like the retorn 3 it's pure shit. Sound was off and nes had the death grip. Also the controllers sucked. Made me get the real hardware.

>> No.830973

I got an FC Twin when I was in high school (2008~) and it's pretty horrible. The controllers that come with it are borderline unusable and break very easily (I'm gentle with my controllers, only ever had one GCN controller start to get a loose analog stick and this was due to competitive Melee; well over 1000 hours + playing other GCN games). Luckily, you can use real SNES controllers with it. However, after even a few weeks it starts games up as poorly as the original consoles, requiring lots of blowing into the game and console itself. The real problem I have, though, is that I've noticed a lot of minor sound and graphical errors in most games. This wouldn't be a problem since they are minor problems, but it happens almost consistently in just about every game I've played.

I also can't stand how cheap it looks and feels, but that's simply cosmetic.

I'm a collector and own almost every Nintendo/Sega system, and simply owning an FC Twin feels like a blemish in my collection. I don't have any experience with any other repo systems, but I would advise not buying an FC Twin. If you only care about playing the game, just use an emulator. If you care about having a good, reliable console, spend the extra cash on an actual NES/SNES or buy a broken one cheap and fix it (usually only require minor soldering for video problems or replacement pins for game connectivity problems). It will make the experience more enjoyable if you care even a little bit about the problems I listed above.

>> No.830984

>>830962
The death grip varies by console. I've had two because my brother thought it would be cool to have one in his room as well, and mine had a death grip on the NES and his had a death grip on SNES and Genesis but the NES was actually pretty loose.

>> No.832309
File: 77 KB, 485x369, testicle face.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>830306
>Floating D-Pad

>> No.832930

>>830516
it's not even out yet. nice try

>> No.832962

>>830306
Retron5 is better.