[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 45 KB, 640x467, snes_beavis_and_butthead_p_o6e9ma.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8271517 No.8271517 [Reply] [Original]

Any other SNES games with good sprite animation? Outside of stuff like Lion King and other Disney-drawn games

>> No.8271550

>>8271517
Not SNES but Toy Story on Genesis is pretty sick in terms of both effects and its spriting. I say not SNES because I refuse to play that utterly soulless port.
Also I think Disney animated the Genesis version of Aladdin but not the SNES version or something

>> No.8271573

>>8271517
SF Alpha 2

>> No.8271979
File: 41 KB, 200x144, ewj.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8271517
Earthworm Jim has probably the best cartoon-style animation of the entire library.

>>8271550
Yeah, it was only the Gen version of Aladdin. Some betas even have pencil-test versions of some enemies and animations.
btw Toy Story also had Pixar involvement, with them providing the animations of Woody and the dog at least to Traveller's Tales. Apparently they didn't deliver until like 2 weeks before final approval and TT had their own backup versions just in case.

>> No.8272040

>>8271550
I wonder why Disney was super up for working with Sega and providing them with full animation from their art team while they left Nintendo out to dry. Was it because of Castle of Illusion doing so well? Did Sega lay down the money? I wonder

>> No.8272059

>>8272040
The SNES has a fucked up aspect ratio for one, but the main issue is that while the Genesis looks and sounds worse in certain respects, that actually contributes to the Genesis being able to hold more content, while the crisper sound and sprites take up a lot more space on the SNES.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ConsoleWars

You can see this if you watch enough Console Wars, a ton of games get features cut.

https://youtu.be/TqDk-UCe7M4

A good example is WWF Wrestlemania: The Arcade Game, which the SNES version cuts TWO whole characters, on a roster that's already tiny. Their Mickey Mania video also covers a lot of stuff, like how the Genesis has lots of voiced lines for Mickey, but none on the SNES.

>> No.8272081
File: 64 KB, 220x154, 220px-Pulirula_leg_scene.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.8272121

>>8272040
It was a business deal extending the licensing contract, Katzenberg was involved and a lot of hardball was played iirc; the whole idea is that Sega could (and did) leverage the fuck out of the high profile collaboration, not to mention the actual high quality results.

Another factor could be the need for tighter quality control; CoI and Quackshot turned out great, but then there’s Fantasia. Nintendo/Capcom had a pretty good and consistent track record, so they probably just got the standard licensing deal they had been getting.

>> No.8273876

Yoshi's Island you maroons

>> No.8273929
File: 213 KB, 500x571, yossy.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8273876
The big effects-based enemies are interesting but I wouldn't call the sprite animation anything but serviceable otherwise

>> No.8273973

>>8272059
>while the Genesis looks and sounds worse in certain respects, that actually contributes to the Genesis being able to hold more content, while the crisper sound and sprites take up a lot more space on the SNES.

not really man. it's true that sampled sound takes up more space and that the genesis had a worse color palette, but the greater efficiency of genesis graphics is completely unrelated to them looking worse. it's because the genesis uses packed pixels and the snes uses bitplanes, which don't compress as well. there was really no reason for the snes to use them in my opinion; it's a strictly worse design choice. they both have 16-color graphics, the snes can just set up more individual 16-color palettes for different objects.

the other advantage of genesis was that its sprites could read from the entire 64k VRAM with no restrictions, while SNES sprites were limited to two separate 8k chunks of RAM which could move around by setting a register.

>> No.8273983

>>8273973
oh yeah and I should specify, compression only matters for storing graphics in ROM. when graphics are in RAM and being displayed they're decompressed, so there's no difference between the two systems there. SNES games can have as much content as genesis games if you use a larger ROM, but that costs money.

>> No.8274251
File: 15 KB, 297x169, 2Q==.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I know this isn't traditional spritework and Epic Gamers will hate me but i fuckin LOVE digitized model sprites. Clayfighter in particular has such a badass aesthetic, look at all the sovl to these wacky clownfuckers. I miss novel shit like this. Also Claymates is another great one, Interplay was a really unique developer. Stop-motion sprites are underrated.

>> No.8274985

>>8271517
>>8271979
Both of these were better on Genesis