[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 26 KB, 500x375, 070518n64dd.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
826925 No.826925 [Reply] [Original]

>The 64DD has a 32-bit coprocessor to help it read magneto-optical discs, and to transfer data to the main console. It was intended to be Nintendo's answer to the cheaper-to-produce Compact Disc that was used for Sony's PlayStation. Sony's CD storage could hold approximately 650 megabytes (MB) of information, compared to the Nintendo 64's 4-64 MB cartridge. The 64DD also has a built in memory expansion pack.

>The new medium for the 64DD was rewritable and had a storage capacity of 64 MB.

>capacity of 64 MB.
>64 MB

The N64 already had 64 MB cartridges (Resident Evil 2). What the hell was the point of the 64DD?

Why not just make an ACTUAL CD player add on?

>> No.826930

Cause as Sega has proved Add-ons are rarely successful

>> No.826931 [DELETED] 

because niintendo wanted to be edgy xD

>> No.826952

It's well known that Nintendo did not favor disks. Even the Dolphin (gamecube) was originally planned to use cartridges too.

>> No.826961

>>826925
>It's well known that Nintendo did not favor disks

Discs are easy to damage, and when's the last time one of your cartridge slots has needed any more than a cleaning to work?

>> No.826964
File: 110 KB, 600x952, npdp.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>826925
Because key word, rewritable. Would've allowed for saving things that would've probably been way too large for the memory pak, like the F-Zero track editor.

>>826952
>Even the Dolphin (gamecube) was originally planned to use cartridges too.
And what a console it would've been had they done that. Cartridge based media was finally over the hump of cost versus storage, it could've been amazing.

>> No.826983

>>826964
What the fuck is that?!

>> No.826989

>>826983
NPDP-Reader, Gamecube development hardware. There's an HDD inside the cartridge that can hold up to 8 images, made for fast testing of different builds.

Replace the HDD with some flash memory, and you could have a cart-loading console with probably more storage than the GCs proprietary discs, plus much faster loading times.

>> No.826995

Just another failure.
Like the virtual boy, which was apparantly designed to give the player terrible headaches.

>> No.827001

>>826995

Don't spread misinformation like that. The Virtual Boy was designed with support from Lenscrafters in order to make children have bad eyesight, thereby increasing sales of glasses. The system may have been a 'failure' in terms of sales, but due to how many children's eyes it damaged, Lenscrafters signed over a big cheque to Nintendo that more than made up for the system sales. Made a nice profit on it.

>> No.827000

>>826995
It was only a failure because it took too long to get it out. By the time it was near finished, the Gamecube was already well into development and would outperform the 64DD massively. But they'd already sunk too much money into it to just scrap it, so they had a very limited release in Japan where you could only get one through mail order.

>> No.827003

>>826989
My dick just reached beyond this universe.

>> No.827035

>>826964

The Gamecube disc drive was incredibly fast, though.

>> No.827045

>>826961
It's not because of that, lel. They just were obssesed with piracy.

>> No.827048

also this:

>make a disc add-on for n64

>make a gameboy cart add-on for gamecube

nintendo logic

>> No.827046
File: 41 KB, 300x300, virtual-boy-wario-land.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>826995

You never actually played a virtual boy, did you?
The thing has Focus and IPD (Inter-pupil distance) adjustments, it doesn't give any headache or any eye cancer, at most it'll give you motion sickness but that's your problem, not the system's.
VR failed because Nintendo didn't give a fuck about it and rushed Yokoi

>> No.827102

>>826925
if you saw what was going on for majora's mask, you would have seen. they were trying all kinds of shit that required the disk to be rewrote.

>> No.827137

>>827046
I'm sorry you bought it, but it was gimicky junk.

>> No.827157
File: 39 KB, 850x690, vbc.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>827137

It's alright, I bought it a few years ago for cheap because I wanted to check it out. It's actually a curious little thing with some really good games on it (Wario Land, Teleroboxer, Jack Bros, etc).
The catalogue is really small, and using the VB is kind of awkward, but the 3D effect is actually impressive (its much deeper than the 3DS, and this was in 1995), and the VB controller has probably one of my favorite d-pads ever (well, let's say my 2 favorite d-pads ever).

I'm actually sorry you never got to at least try it once.

>> No.827159

>>827157
There's a few good unreleased games, too, like Faceball and Bound High.

>> No.827167

>>827159

yeah I really need to get myself a virtual boy flash card to try those on actual hardware, I emulated them but the difference between playing emulation and the actual VB is abismal.

There's also some homebrew, the VB scene is small but very dilligent and dedicated.

>> No.827168

I honestly wonder if Nintendo would've been so desperate as to sabotage the PS1 from taking over their market one way or another. Like maybe they bought a few PS1s and reverse engineered them in private, found out how to pirate games, and then anonymously leak the details so that the people who bought the PS1 will not buy the software. It would have little third party support as a result, correct?

>> No.827182

>>827167
I wish that Mario Kart homebrew went further than it did, it looked great.

>> No.827271

>>827168
That's the theory on what Sony did with the Dreamcast prior to the launch of the PS2.

>> No.827278

>>827271
That's the reason I mentioned that, actually.

>> No.827294

>>826989
And why the fuck do you know that? First-hand experience with the SDK?

>> No.827306

Anyone got any infos on Game Boy prototypes and SDK?

>> No.827313

>>827294
Well yes and no. I'm not a developer or anything, but I've played with the SDK, it's been available for download for years. And the info on all the dev hardware has equally been available for a long time, from people buying up kits from developers selling off used stock that they've kept for too long for Nintendo to want them back.
I think there's only two pieces of GC dev hardware that haven't been taken apart and documented. The IS-DOL-VIEWER, which plugs into the bottom of an NPDP and allows for real-time debugging over RS-232, as far as I know not many devs bought any because there were more capable pieces of hardware available.
There's also the SN-TDEV, which was, by itself, functionally identical to an NR Reader, ie. reads NR discs and nothing else. It had an add-on, like the one for the NPDP, that also allowed for debugging. The TDEV stuff has been elusive because it was only sold to universities for game dev courses to use, and a university has no reason to sell on hardware, it'll either return it or scrap it.

>>827306
Sure, quite a few. http://devkits.handheldmuseum.com/ is a good site.

>> No.827319

>>827313
If we ever meet, I'll blow you one. You're awesome.

>> No.827325

>>827313
The site there lists mostly GBA stuff, man. It's like the old Game Boy never went through development

>> No.827329

>>827325
http://devkits.handheldmuseum.com/GBC_Wideboy.htm
http://devkits.handheldmuseum.com/GB_Wideboy.htm
http://devkits.handheldmuseum.com/GB_TestCart.htm
http://devkits.handheldmuseum.com/IS-CGB-EMU/index.htm

???

>> No.827331

>>826925
The point of the 64DD was that the magnetic optical discs cost FAR cheaper than cartridges. Slightly more than CDs basically.

As for why Nintendo chose them over actual CDs, beats me. Faster read speed perhaps?

>> No.827337

>>827329
>GBC
>wideboy
>nothing interesting about the testcart
Only worthwhile thing is the emulator thing

>> No.827339

>>827337
There's also this http://devkits.handheldmuseum.com/GBC-Protoype/index.htm

But I don't know what else you were expecting?

>> No.827343

>>827339
Something like this:
http://www.infendo.com/uploaded_images/dolphindev.jpg

>> No.827350

>>827343
You say that like there's some major difference between the two. It's got the out ports for reading memory and debugging, a development kit is rarely any more than a retail kit that can boot unsigned code, in a less shiny box with a few extra features like that. They're not made to be interesting, they're made to be functional, and a kit for something as simple as the gameboy doesn't need much more than that and some EPROM boards.

>> No.827386

>>827046
on a related note are there any good virtual boy emulators?

>> No.827391

>>827386
vbjin

>> No.827405

>>827386
Mednafen's VB emulator is excellent

>> No.827410

I always wanted an N64DD.

>> No.827423
File: 1.53 MB, 1500x2000, 1293225143432.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Between the capabilities of the 64DD and a Dolphin that used cartridges, Nintendo could have done some amazing shit during the late 90's/early 00's. It's a shame they dropped support of the 64DD almost immediately and went with discs for the Gamecube. Do you guys think we'll ever get a leaked build of the 64DD Ocarina of Time or Ura Zelda? That'd be some shit.

>> No.827426

>>827423

Its just Master Quest, you can find it on the GC compilation

>> No.827428

>>827423
Isn't that just Master Quest though?

>> No.827434

>>827426
>>827428
Ura Zelda was supposed to be more than rearranged dungeons. It was supposed to add in brand new temples, items, equipment, and locations, all while taking advantage of 64DD hardware. It was supposed to just be a better version of that BS Satellite sequel to LttP

>> No.827438

>>827434
Exactly, it was supposed to be, but it never actually was. They talked it up, hyped it, but it was never actually put into development beyond the conceptualization stage. The most you'll ever get of it beyond what was released as the Master Quest is maybe some artwork, sketches, but no actual game.

>> No.827445

>>827046
>at most it'll give you motion sickness but that's your problem, not the system's.
Not that guy and I've never used a Virtual Boy either, but I think if it gave me motion sickness it would be fair to say that it's the system's problem and not mine, especially with such a limited library.

>> No.827454

>>827438
It became Majora's Mask. Everyone knows that aready.

>> No.827469

>>827454
Sure, but only very loosely. Like >>827434 said, it was going to be like Ancient Stone Tablets, before it got made into an entirely new game.

>> No.827492

>>827469
When the heck are they going to release Ancient Stone Tablets? I really really want to play it but my morals forbid me to download the pirate copy. I've signed petitions and all to no avail. When will Nintendo finally release the BS Zelda games?

>> No.827498

>>827492
Probably never, since they're in all likelihood tied up in some mess of legal rights with the company that operated the Satellaview. Add to that the fact that they were only ever 'released' in Japan, so they have a comparatively tiny following, it's not a good outlook. I'd really just say emulate them, especially since if they are ever released, it'll be a Virtual Console release, which is just emulating anyway.

>> No.827515

>>827498
if I remember right they can't re-release ANY of the BS released games, not because of legal reasons, but because they no longer have back ups of any of the games broadcast over the BS system

>> No.827536

>>827515
Why don't they just confiscate the source material that is floating around online? It's their property anyway.

>> No.827554

>>827536
If what that anon said is true, then they probably have no way of verifying that any of the available dumps are 1:1. Not to mention most of the music from BS games was broadcast live rather than downloaded to the carts.

>> No.827561

>>827492
>I really really want to play it but my morals forbid me to download the pirate copy

sorry but this is so stupid. It's not stealing if there's no alternative

>> No.827581

>>827554
Why would Nintendo care if the dumps are 1:1? Even a remake for DS or something would be excellent.

>> No.827583

>>827581
>Why would Nintendo care if the dumps are 1:1?
Because they only have the legal rights to it if it's 1:1.
>Even a remake for DS or something would be excellent.
Not enough of a fanbase for them to put in that much effort.

>> No.827584

>>827157
Got mine for about 20$ new when Target decided to dump the entire back-stock and a bunch of the games for really cheap. only got a headache once, and I'm pretty sure I'd been playing for 2+ hours.

>> No.827591

>>827561
It's still stealing. My mind is made up on this. And I wish I didn't have strong morals. Trust me. I really want to play the game.

>> No.827594

>>827583
>Because they only have the legal rights to it if it's 1:1.
That's cray. Fans can rip a game that is Nintendo's property and then modify one tiny part of it and suddently Nintendo loses the rights to it? Let's say Nintendo stole the online copy of the game and published it as its own work. You think the internet denizens would have legal standing to sue Nintendo for theft? Come on. It's clearly Nintendo's property even if it's not 1:1 what they released.

>> No.827601

>>827591
are you 12 or something?
dear lord

>> No.827606

>>827594
the person saying that is a retard and your just as much of a moron for believing him.

>> No.827618

>>826964
Especially considering that the mini-dvd discs that the console later went onto use could only hold 1.96 gigs of data. The rest of it was just garbage files in order to deter piracy

>> No.827623

>>827167
It frankly amazes me that people would actually go through the trouble of actually making homebrew games for the console. It must be a pain in the ass to work with

>> No.827639

>>827591
>I believe that making a copy of something is equal to stealing it from the original owner, and that means I have Strong Morals.

I can claim I believe locking women in chastity belts to prevent them from being raped means I have Strong Morals, but it doesn't make it true.

I'm honestly confused, what is your argument that piracy = theft?

>> No.827650

I have a copy of Doshin the Giant for GameCube (had to mod the console to play it because it's Japanese), apparently that was a port of a 64DD version and it shows, it's fairly ugly-looking and it saves a lot of world data (but on the GameCube memory card rather than on any disk drive)

it's a nice upgrade from something like SimEarth for the SNES that didn't even try to record the actual fine details of your world when you saved and loaded (presumably because there wasn't time/space for that), but it's still not an especially good game

something like the F-Zero X track editor, like somebody mentions above, would have worked really well with this sort of system though

but it's not like we saw a big boom in Minecraft-esque building games when the GameCube did come out; having a lot of rewritable storage space on a console is just not very helpful for most games

>> No.827673

>>827650
You do know that there was a European release of Doshin that's in English right?

>> No.827680

>>827673
You need a freeloader to use it with an NTSC system though. Freeloaders are kind of hard to find these days.

>> No.827690

>>827639
Uh it's called copyright infringement. Nintendo had to invest in the product. If fans steal that without paying then they are litterally biting the hand that feeds them. If I play the illegal rom then I doubt I want to play the real game when it finally comes out. See? It's immoral if I just take something that is to mine because I want it. I should pay for what I want. That's how government and society works. Sorry to say I probably have higher morality then you. I don't care but I wish you wouldn't rag on me for having morals in the first place.

>> No.827697

>>827690
>I should pay for what I want
>That's how government and society works
No that's how capitalism works.

Besides, since the argument for playing the ROM is that the chance of Nintendo officially rereleasing the games is negligible to none, they're not losing anything whether you do or not.

>> No.827704

>>827673

either never knew or forgot but it doesn't really matter, being able to read the text in such a shallow game would have made it less fun, but the main point is that the 64DD probably wouldn't have made much difference to most people even if it had come out earlier

there's a niche for people who like LittleBigPlanet and Garry's Mod and Dwarf Fortress and so forth, but it's not a big niche and it mostly stays off consoles anyway

>> No.827724

>>827157
Telroboxer was pretty fun

>> No.827725

>>827704
There's also a DD specific sequel/add on to Doshin where he pees on children. No I'm not making this up. That's the only game for the 64DD that I actually want. The F-Zero game would be cool too, but I don't care about any other game for that system. Not even the Mario paint studio.

>> No.827769
File: 23 KB, 143x129, SM642_Cartridge.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

64DD would have been amazing. It's at least a decade ahead of its time. There was a character creator similar to Miis, but with more features and the ability to use faces taken from photos. I've always wanted to play Mario 64 II and Ura Zelda. According to Miyamoto, Ura Zelda was near completion when the 64DD was canceled. It was rumored to have solved every mystery in the game including the Running Man. There would have been new items and a new quest, like the second quest of the original Zelda. It was supposed to have a mask editor and dungeon editor. How much is fact and how much is folklore, we'll never really know. Supposedly there were also a few screenshots of Mario 64 II in Japanese magazines, but I can't find any of them online.

>> No.827815

>>827769
>There was a character creator similar to Miis, but with more features and the ability to use faces taken from photos

Could have swore that I read somewhere that the Miis actually began their life conceptually on the Famicom

>> No.827821

>>827815
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbaNZ7IwrxY

>> No.827823

>>827815
I read that somewhere too. It was for the Famicom Disk System. Nintendo should have released their disk systems in the U.S.

>> No.827826

>>827331
>As for why Nintendo chose them over actual CDs, beats me. Faster read speed perhaps?

No load times was going to be one of the major draws

>> No.827832

>>827045
You're retarded.

>> No.827845

>>827690
>Game that can't be bought in stores
>Not even on the VC
>If I get it through a download, I'm stealing!

But by the logic you just posted, you aren't. You just argued against your own position. Also...

>It's immoral if I just take something that is to mine because I want it.

You are downloading a copy, you aren't TAKING anything. Again, you are trying to equate downloading a copy to stealing, with no reasoning as to WHY that is.

Also, you seem to be under the belief that pirates don't buy games they've pirated. This isn't true. I don't buy any game I haven't pirated first, since I want to know if it's actually worth putting money into before I do so. As such, piracy has led me to spend money on games I might have otherwise not. If your "Piracy = Theft" argument is that piracy is costing the companies a sale, then how do you explain them getting my money?

Sage since this argument has nothing to do with the thread. Sorry OP.

>> No.827880

>The 64DD also has a built in memory expansion pack.

No, it doesn't. It includes the expansion pack add-on that you separately plug into the top of the N64. It's not "built-in".

>> No.827891

>>827845
It's not theft. It's copyright infringement, as you're illegally acquiring a product for free that's meant to be sold.

>> No.827912

>>827891

It's not even a product. It's copyrighted information used in a manner not in accordance with license from the copyright holder.

>> No.827925

>>827912
It's a digital product. It's produced specifically to be sold.

>> No.827931

>>827925

Which still doesn't make it subject to acquisition or larceny.

>> No.827945

>>827294
You're joking, right? This isn't newly discovered information. Please lurk more.

>> No.828219

>>827823
I'm not really sure if it would have done all that well, but it might have further cemented the fact that this was not just a "video game console disguised as an entertainment box"

>> No.828943

>>827690
>Sorry to say I probably have higher morality then you.
Morality is a shitty stat anyway. Certianly not worth taking all the points from Intelligence to pump it up, like you seem to have done.

>> No.829114
File: 246 KB, 408x469, 1365355314951.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>827769
>Ura Zelda
No, YOU'RE a Zelda!

>> No.829173

>>827045
That's true, but they also have long believed in reliability because kids are good at destroying things. Quite simply, it's easier to destroy a disk than a cartridge. You can abuse a cart quite a good deal but it still works. You can't say the same about CDs.

>> No.829183

>>827445
What does the game library have to do with motion sickness?

>> No.829291
File: 45 KB, 240x306, n64dd_mario_artist3.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>829114
Ura means front, I think, and is the opposite of Omote. I haven't a clue how it applies in the title.

I want to play Mario artist. Looks like a lot of fun. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txrrtJW24h0

>> No.829295

>>826964
I want this thing so bad.

>> No.829313

>>826925

>What the hell was the point of the 64DD?

To make things cheaper and in greater quantity, of course. The discs would have been a hell of a lot less expensive, and with the saved cost, they could easily have shipped multi-disc games. Hell, most Final Fantasy games for PS were 4 discs long. If Nintendo had gotten it to be successful, they could have released much larger games that could have spanned multiple discs. Too bad it was an utter failure, though.

>> No.829323

>>827438
Miyamoto said it was finished. Before it became MQ

>> No.829329

>>826925
is the 64DD region locked or will it work on my N64?

>> No.829352

>>827925
It was not a product. When Satellaview was around people downloaded it for free. Nintendo NEVER made money off of BS Zelda

>> No.829351

>>826925

Why didn't they have used something like a zip or jazz drive? Those had capacities into the gigabytes.

>> No.829358

>>829329
It will work on your 64

>> No.829363

>>829358
Cool. Thanks

>> No.829752

>>829291
In context, it means "Another Zelda",

>> No.829994

>>829183
I meant that if the game library was on par with the PS2, I suppose it would be my loss, but I could easily live without the couple dozen games on the Virtual Boy.