[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 534 KB, 480x320, external-content.duckduckgo.com.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8268646 No.8268646 [Reply] [Original]

How do I not get filtered by FE?

>> No.8268651

>>8268646
Use your healers and dancers every turn you possibly can since that's the only way they get exp.

Train up your lord characters even though they're shit.

Learn to calculate attack speed so you know when a unit hits twice

Also try to git gud

>> No.8268652

>>8268646
I would like to know as well. I love the look and atmosphere of FE games, but no matter how big-brained I try to be they always just make me feel like a moron.

>> No.8268662

>>8268651
alright and which are the good ones to start with and which should be avoided, or left till later

>> No.8268663

Ive only ever played dragon shadow and i just take what ive learned from each failure and try again. It fucking sucks replaying one misson ten times but i usually finish with almost all my guys.

>> No.8268676

>>8268662
FE7 for GBA, released in the US as Fire Emblem is probably the best one to start with. The first 10 chapter explain all of the important things that carry over between most FE game. If you're bad at video games you could start with FE8 since it has an easy mode.

>> No.8268683

>>8268662
FE3 Book 1 and 2, and FE6 Hard Mode are good starting points as they have the purest Gameplay in the series. FE3 is very easy. FE7 is worse than FE6 but it's also Easier on its Hardest Difficulty so you might want to play FE7 before FE6.

After that you can move onto FE5, FE9, FE10 and FE14:C

FE4 is also good but it's a very different game.

Also don't listen to >>8268651 in relation to your Lords, it's often better to just keep them safe and avoid combat rather than go out of your way to try to feed them kills. The most you're going to do with a lot of them is turn an unusable unit into a mediocre unit. There are exceptions though.

>> No.8268704

>>8268683
Is this bait? OP please don't listen to this

>FE6 Hard Mode is a good starting point

Hard mode is literally locked behind beating the game because it's significantly harder than normal which is already hard.

Also, yes training your lords is not optimal, but is a good strategy for newcomers. Lords need to be present in every chapter. If you ignore them, they will die in one hit if you forget to protect them for a turn.

FE7, FE8, FE9, Awakening and 3 Houses are all good starting points.

>> No.8268717
File: 482 KB, 480x320, 6e6f00444777b366d094de2e18ddaa59.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8268683
>FE6 hardmode
why would I start with hardmode if normals are filtering me lol

>>8268704
>FE7, FE8, FE9, Awakening and 3 Houses are all good starting points.
I think I'll try FE7, I like the look of it ;)

>> No.8268725

>>8268646
FE8 (The sacred stones) it's the best starting point, it's really easy, allows easy grind and teach the basics.

As for hints, generally don't use units that seems strong at first glance because your weaker units gain a lot more of xp by defeating the same enemy, check your equipment before battle, take 2 healers and stick together if a map is causing you trouble instead dividing your party. Use promotion items at lvl 20 if possible, not at 10.

>> No.8268771

>>8268662
FE9 for Gamecube is a good one, but I recommend emulating it if you can cuz it's insanely expensive

>> No.8268813

>>8268646

Do not use Lyn. She's a worthless piece of shit.

>> No.8268818

Unironically, start with Fire Emblem Awakening, the characters are generically charming enough to carry you though the story and by the end you'll be at least a little competent at strategizing, meaning you're ready for the games where you have to actually use your brain

>> No.8268849

>>8268683
in loads of games the lord is the most op character
in the first one, Marth can kill the end boss at level 1 as long as he has Falchion

>> No.8268914
File: 302 KB, 1237x781, translationed.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8268683
>>8268704
>>8268725
>>8268818
how about this one? I found a translated rom of it

>Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade is a Japanese tactical role-playing game developed by Intelligent Systems and published by Nintendo. The game was released on March 29, 2002 in Japan as the sixth game in the Fire Emblem series, and the first of three games in the series released on Nintendo's Game Boy Advance handheld.

>> No.8268929

>>8268717
The GBA games are the peak aesthetic of the series imo. 7 is good for a more traditional FE, FE8 has class changing, allows grinding and is easier so it's closer to the newer FEs.

>>8268813
I'm gonna turn this into a little broader warning: FE7 enemies tend to be pretty slow so a character like Lyn who's only got speed going for her is pretty worthless all things considered, her speed is overkill.

>>8268914
FE6 is pretty great gameplay wise, some very memorable maps and enjoyable content but be warned it's hard as hell, someone correct me if I'm wrong but I would say it's the FE with the hardest Normal mode.

>> No.8269146

>>8268929
>the FE with the hardest Normal mode
it's among the hardest, but I would say that RD (arguably) and Thracia are harder.
RD difficulty is a bit hard to rank because you play several teams. The "Dawn Brigade" sucks dicks and their chapters can be tough, but the rest is piss easy. At the same time I just remembered that you can also freely save and reload you game in the middle of a map in RD normal (this is disabled in hard mode) which means you can cheese the game if you want to abuse RNG, but it's really tedious.

>> No.8269204

>>8268914
If it's the Gringe translation, you should be set. Just be wary about this being one of the harder games.

>> No.8269353

>>8268914
Same gameplay as the rest of GBA, good maps but it's hard, got filtered by the hard mode when I was inexperienced. Wouldn't recommend as an entry point desu

>> No.8269632

Here's some advice that I haven't seen posted yet:

You probably want to start playing with characters that have not had a job advancement yet. The trap in the beginning of the game is that they always give you about 1 unit that has been advanced, usually a paladin, DO NOT USE THIS UNIT, for he will suck up all of your exp and the rest of your units will have none. If you take the time to train your other units and advance them they will be far stronger.

The objective is to get the most exp as you can, get a lot of shitty weapons and just use them until they break to grind enemies, you always want to try to get the most exp out of every unit, you gain about 10 exp (Depending on the unit you're using, advanced units get less exp) for just engaging in battle with an enemy and dealing at least 1 point of damage. Try to spread the wealth, your lords probably don't need too much exp in the beginning but since they are critical units and if they die you lose the game they will need some exp at some point, even more so as the game gets closer to the final chapters.
It's best to be aware of how many chapters remain and try to plan accordingly.
My favorite way to grind exp is when you are fighting a boss that does not move off of a healing castle, to attack him from far way with long bows and long range attacks and just continually let him heal until you can 1HKO him with every unit. Some FE titles give you this opportunity more often then others, and those it can be very easy to be extremely OP and steamroll the rest of the game. But in the end it comes down to tactics, planning, and just experimenting! Anyways I hope some of this helps, have fun!

>> No.8269645

it's all about leveling so just grind up your main character for the first few missions, then add in one decent character of each job

>> No.8269683

If you see forts or staircases, it's often a good idea to set a unit on them to block enemy reinforcements from spawning. Some games like FE6 and others on higher difficulty levels have reinforcements that attack as soon as they arrive instead of waiting a turn first, so this helps in not getting overrun.

Don't blow off dialogue. Oftentimes, it gives you hints on things like how to recruit new units or when reinforcements are due to arrive. Sure, there's online walkthroughs, but where's the fun in that?

In regards to an above post, the Paladin you start the game with shouldn't be relied on, but they still have value in the early game. Let them soften up isolated enemies or bosses, then move a weaker unit in to take the kill and the bulk of the EXP.

>> No.8269693

>>8269645
explain low level zero growth type runs

>> No.8269707

>>8269683
I actually personally prefer to let all the enemies spawn so I can get the maximum amount of experience. If you block the staircase they just don't spawn at all :(

>> No.8269714

>>8269707
Usually, those reinforcements give out only little EXP to discourage spawncamping.

>> No.8269717

>>8269693
OP can't beat them on normal mode. he's not going to do some modded masochist run

>> No.8269750
File: 1.24 MB, 500x369, 1554275274769.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8269683
Some of the FE6 reinforcements are the stuff of nightmares. Murdock's map, with the infinite wyverns at the end drove me to the brink of insanity ie caving in and using a savestate as to figure a way to keep everyone alive and safely warp Roy into the throne, I wasn't in the mood of restarting for the fourth time

>> No.8269782

>>8268646
What exactly are you getting "filtered" by? The FE series is poorly designed and full of artificial difficulty practically forcing trial and error attempts but the general rules are very simple to understand.

>> No.8269835
File: 16 KB, 480x320, Exp.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8268646
I don't want to dissapoint you mate, but if you get filtered by Blazing Blade... damn bro, just use healers and dancers for maximun utility and positioning, level your strong characters without neglecting other units and pay attention to enemie movements, don't be afraid to use a more tank unit for baiting, BB is over all easy you shouldn't be getting filtered by it, good luck mate i hope you make it to the end.

>> No.8269847

>>8269782
>artificial difficulty
Ahh, I see you were filtered too ;)

>> No.8269848

>>8269782
Theres nothing artificially difficult about FE with the exception of recruiting Jafar since he sometimes aggros Ursula before you could realistically reach him. You're just bad at the game

>> No.8269868

>>8269847
>>8269848
Reinforcements appearing and killing units before you have the ability to react to their appearance. That is artificial difficulty. You have no idea where they're going to appear until you attempt something once, see where they come in then restart with that knowledge in mind.

This sort of design can not be defended.

>> No.8269879
File: 216 KB, 600x800, 776.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8269868
>Reinforcements appearing and killing units before you have the ability to react to their appearance.
This is some bull shit that does happen in a few FE games, true and it is bull shit for sure, but over all the games have a good design, especially the Kaga games but ofc the GBA ones can be quite fun too.

>> No.8269891

>>8269848
>Theres nothing artificially difficult about FE
artificial difficulty is kind of a meaningless term at this point, but i'd describe it as surprising you with some punishment you couldn't predict, and fire emblem does that all the time
fog of war maps, scripted ambushes halfway through a map, crits and misses
in general though, even those aren't bad because you can get your characters so beefy that they can withstand all of that, at least on normal modes

>> No.8269893

>>8269879
In general, yes, but that's why I'm questioning what the OP is being filtered by. Apart from those instances of poor design there shouldn't be anything filtering anyone.

>> No.8269902
File: 915 KB, 908x500, Thracia.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8269893
Yes exactly, if you are to be filtered i would assume Thracia would be THE game for that, and ofc FE1 and Gaiden for the NES for how slow it is, but the GBA games filtering people? I never heard of this before legit.

>> No.8269907

>>8269868
Enemies appear on fortress maps, ambush maps, and to kill Merlinus. Merlinus outright tells you he needs protected, and him dying doesn't even matter really anyway, and you're retarded if you think there aren't going to be more enemies in the other scenarios. Stop frontlining characters with combined spd/def of 12 and it's a non issue.
>>8269891
those are game mechanics

>> No.8269914

>>8269907
>just be omniscient

>> No.8269921

>>8269914
just don't frontline with Priscilla and a level 9 Florina and then call the game bad because you're retarded.

>> No.8269926

>>8269921
>just be omniscient

>> No.8269932

>>8269921
Ok wait ambush spawns is a bad design choice man, units coming out of nowere and instantly moving is retarded, there is no excuse here, even your strongest unit can only take so much punishment.

>> No.8269956

>>8269932
>invading an enemy castle
>staircases in the castle for the barracks
>enemies appear from them
>ambush map where party is explicitly stated to be defending themselves from waves of enemies
>enemies appear on the edges of the map as the battle progresses
woooooow dude how was I supposed to know? fucking bugged spawning mechanics man artificial difficulty bullshit

>> No.8269968

>>8269956
>just be omniscient
I don't think you realize how many layers of bullshit you're piling on to defend bad design.

>> No.8269991

>>8269968
I don't think you realize how bad at this game you are

>> No.8270008

>>8269991
For someone whose only real argument is "no ur retarded" you sure are pretty fucking retarded. You can not possibly be defending unavoidable deaths. It'd be one thing if reinforcements were unable to act for a certain number of turns but that isn't the case. You can be put at a significant disadvantage without being allowed any opportunity to react to a new variable brought into play. That's bad for any game but especially one belonging to a genre with "Strategy" in the name. The only counterplay is
>just be omniscient

>> No.8270031

>>8270008
you having no rationality or planning to your positioning, and absolutely zero awareness of your surroundings is not an unavoidable death. it's just you being very stupid and being very bad at the game, and getting upset that it punishes you for it, but you can't reconcile that in your mind so you call it artificial difficulty. please meme arrow the exact same sentence for a 5th time while stating I have no argument.

>> No.8270042

>>8269956
So basically turtle your way to victory because if you miss step you can get yourself killed?

>> No.8270043

>>8270031
>you having no rationality or planning
Translation:
>just be omniscient
You're arguing that the player should be aware of and plan around meta knowledge which is the whole reason as to why it's bad design.

>> No.8270050

>>8269956
Also there are many maps that have explicit places were the waves of enemies are coming, and then without any warning what so ever they come from unexpected angles when you reach a certain tile, this design is made specifically to kill a unit just because there was no way for you to know that this tile would activate an ambush spawn, and to take all your strategic mesures to the trash and make you do panic strats to save yourself, if enemies spawn at unexpected tiles but they DON'T act imidiately, then ok this is fair, but ambush spawns are not.

>> No.8270160

>>8270042
Yes.

>> No.8270301

>>8270043
>>8270050
Why are you pretending like the game spawns 15 str capped luna mages on your backline, that you must account for? It spawns cannon fodder and early game 2-3 units max. You're only having an issue with it, because you're bad at the game, and your units are out of position to begin with if they're dying.
Genuinely curious as to what chapter made you so ass devestated

>> No.8270379

>>8270301
>fallacies and irrelevant desperation
What part of this is difficult for you to understand? There is no controllable way to counter the design. It's objectively bad and no amount of blind devotion from you is going to change that.

>> No.8270442

>>8270379
You just want the game to tell you when its going to spawn reinforcements, what its going to spawn, not let them move, and never have to do anything but fully optimize yourself for any possible scenario.
It's not bad game design, you're just an idiot who can't handle a game with any amount of challenge, and the second anything does challenge you, you immediately call it bad design because you can't face roll it.
Look up a guide for every map, or just follow an optimazed LP and 1:1 their unit movement, if thats what you want, but the game throwing a challenge at you, that it readily apparent doesn't make it bad you insufferable faggot.

>> No.8270457

>>8270442
>more fallacies
Just stop. You're embarrassing yourself. I'm not going to repeat myself for the tenth time just because you want to be stubborn and try to defend objectively bad design.

>> No.8270489

>>8270457
You're not going to try to argue with me because me presenting what you're actually asking for, and how stupid you actually are to you ruined the illusion that the game is badly designed and made you realize you just don't know how to play it. I beat this game when I was 13 years old, literally millions of people have beaten this game. The game is so weighted towards the player that outside of very specific chapters, once you hit chapter 20ish you'll have so many overpowered and overstatted units that you can simply place them in the middle of the battlefield and mow down the enemy with return attacks.
You're throwing a tantrum like an autistic child because a game about war dared to let the enemy flank you without a giant flashing alert notification, and you had to restart a battle because you ignored all the signs the game gives you that aren't giant flashing alert notifications, and your thief or mage or whoever the fuck died. Go fuck yourself

>> No.8270497

>>8270489
>still more fallacies
No, you're presenting a straw man to prop up your ego because you think you're somehow better for enjoying the taste of shit and feel like anyone who doesn't is somehow beneath you.

>> No.8270504

>>8270497
what chapter can't you beat? 16x?

>> No.8270508

>>8270504
>irrelevant implication

>> No.8270516

>>8270508
ok so it was 16x. If you had paid attention to the dialog the game tells you not to fight the pirates, or engage on them and instead to go up top and fight the low powered enemies and then easily talk to fargus. Fighting the enemies and spawning Dimiti is an optional challenge so people with an IQ of 3 digits can have more fun with the chapter

>> No.8270517

>>8270489
a game can be very easy and still have artificial difficulty
the term is basically a meaningless buzzword anyway, like immersion or ludo-narrative, but when most people use it they're talking about when you're killed by something you couldn't see coming.
like an ambush.

>> No.8270520

>>8270516
>so desperate to be right that anon is having a one-sided conversation with himself

>> No.8270525

>>8270517
The game doesn't ambush you. The game will only spawn enemies on a fort, or out of barracks unless the story line reason for the battle is that the party is already being ambushed.

>> No.8270529

>>8270517
>the term is basically a meaningless buzzword anyway
No, it's just overused to the point that most of the time it holds no meaning. Like "clunky."

This is a perfectly applicable use of the term.

>> No.8270567

Learn to accept death and continue on if it happens, there will always be another recruit to replace them with down the line.

>> No.8270589

That's not the issue.

>> No.8270605
File: 81 KB, 854x702, Ambushed.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8270567
That is the mentality of the series as what Kaga intended, the thing is that no casual player does this, that's why there are Iron Man runs, aka playing as it was intended, Ambush spawn are not always bullshit, but too frequently it is, again there are games where they def do warn you mid game that hey if you go to this tile reinforcements will come out, but there are lots of other instances where there is legit no warning other than there may be enemie reinforcemets coming, from where? When? Well good luck to find this out without a guide, Thracia had interesting ambush spawns, they were not super strong units, with a few exceptions related to story relevant enemies ofc, in the GBA games there shouldn't be any ambush spawns at all that are a problem, so OP should be good in that regard, seems like ambush spawns were a biger problem in Awakening by what i looked up, not sure since i didn't like Waifu Emblem but regardless, there are instances where it is well implemented and the game gives you a chance to prepare a in any way you see fit before they come, and then there are stupid moments where enemies come out of nowere, poke you every time and then a unit ends up dead, it is a very hit or miss situation with this gameplay aspect and honestly it can be done in a real fun and interesting way but way too many times it was badly implemented, but after playing basically all FE games before 3DS that is, you can always just reset and try again with the new knowlage of where they come, but i don't mind reseting like some other people do so it also has the player by player aspect.

>> No.8270619

>>8270605
Finally, someone with some sense.

>> No.8270623

>>8270619
>anyone who doesn't agree with me is a retard
Whatever helps you sleep at night anon.

>> No.8270638
File: 1.69 MB, 512x448, FE4.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8270619
I have already posted a few times here with my stance that over all Ambush Spawns are not very good, but still this is a more elaborated stance on what i have said.

>> No.8270654
File: 76 KB, 512x576, 21.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Good: The ambush spawns come from some visible forts or stairs, which you can also "conquer" by parking someone in to prevent more reinforcements

Also good: The ambush spawn comes from a rear end of the map to pressure you into advancing, usually with some dialogue warning beforehand

Nuclear shit Satan's anus kill yourself: Pic related and other invisible cheap crap also those fucking tents in Saccae

>> No.8270664

>Tienda Secreta

>> No.8270680
File: 3 KB, 94x80, gonzales.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Gonzales

>> No.8271334

>>8269891
>>8269782
>full of artificial difficulty
Artificial difficulty should only apply to challenges that skill, practice, learning and planning can't overcome. I doubt that's the case for these FE ambushes.

Artificial difficulty is more for extreme RNG shit that you can't manipulate or counteract at all, or poorly designed bosses where the difficulty is so high it's near impossible (i.e Inbachi from DDP Saidaioujou, it's been a decade and no one can beat that boss without TAS)

>> No.8271460

>>8268683
Yo shut the FUCK up >>8268651 was obviously talking about "Fire Emblem" the game OP started the thread with a gif of, and presumably asking about because the final mission has you using all 3 of your lords and requires a lord to kill the fucking final boss and if you're like me and don't level them up ever cause lyn sucks and eliwood sucks and hector sucks then you're stuck relying on a literal who mage who and makes the entire final encounter a huge fucking headache when you've got fuckhuge bosses coming at you from every direction and your lords are little pissants that can't survive a single combat with them.

So OP if you're talking about "Fire Emblem" for GBA then YES LEVEL UP YOUR LORDS

>> No.8271523

>>8271460
None of the Lords even at 20/20 can reasonably contribute to the Fire Dragon without causing a Game Over, you are meant to use Athos, but Luna!Canas is a gimmicky alternative

>> No.8271582

First timer who started with FE7 a few weeks ago and now is doing hard mode. Just wanted to say Sain is pretty based. Sadly he died in both of my runs due to my carelessness.

>> No.8271625

>move dude in place to block enemies.
>he crits multiple times while defending allowing multiple enemies to wreck his ass
>dies.
FE sucks

>> No.8271702

>>8271625
>I suck at FE
oops, fixed*

>> No.8271706

>play a FE
>character dies
>restart Chapter
>character dies
>restart Chapter
>character dies
>lose interest in game and drop it
My autism doesn't take well to this series

>> No.8271726

>>8271706
I just roll with the deaths, though there were a few times where I thought "fuck this, if THIS guy dies I'll just do a suicide rush."

>> No.8271727

>>8268646
The random level-up system ruins these games and just encourages mindless grinding - what an absolute shit mechanic.

>> No.8271731

>>8271727
b-but it makes each playthrough a little d-different... y-your units are unique, bro...

>> No.8271745

>>8271727
>>8271731
>needs grind levels to win
lmao

>> No.8271746

>>8271745
>strawman
Based!

>> No.8271772

>>8268646
If you really want to be autistic about it, do your research on units and their growth rates so you don't get screwed raising the wrong characters.

Don't underestimate effective damage in the GBA games. 3x damage is crazy for both you and your enemies, so check the map before deploying if there are any units with Horseslayers, Longswords, etc. Attack speed is the same, and it's determined by the character's speed and the weapon's weight and stuff like that, so make sure you're not hampering your units down, otherwise they won't double where they otherwise could have.

Rescue, both the mechanic itself and the staff will save your ass in many situations, so don't forget to use it. I like raising at least one Pegasus Knight in case of emergencies, and using the staff sparingly. Don't chuck it into storage just because of it's limited uses unless you really care about the Funds score at the end (trust me, if you're just trying to clear these for the first time, you really don't.)

Unless RNG really screws you over, planning ahead and erring on the side of caution when it comes to moving units will usually be good enough for your first playthrough on any game.

Apropos of nothing, here's a cover of Girl from the Plains I did on Famitracker.
https://vocaroo.com/1bzAo6Z85AdU