[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 118 KB, 800x553, re.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8259303 No.8259303 [Reply] [Original]

What's up with the anti-romhack weirdos you sometimes see on this board?
(SM pic cause I saw it in SM hack discussions for example)

Yeah, some hacks are bad, some cringe, some are good, some excellent. But it's weird to see people just dismiss them all on dogmatic premises like
>uhh, Nintendo didn't sell this to me when I was a kid, so it must be shit

>> No.8259316

>>8259303
Video games are art. Along with that comes death of the author and freedom of interpretation. The art no longer belongs to anyone, it exists and people may take it how they choose. There is nothing invalid about experiencing a video game through a hack, cheat, exploit, bad port, YouTube video, soundtrack, etc. because there is no correct way to experience a work of art.

>> No.8259324

it's the ebay retro garbage flipper shills. it's either extremely difficult or impossible to get romhacks playing on original hardware (which these scum are trying to flip for massive profits, to continue living the good life in their mom's basement) so they will make up any excuse to call romhacks bad.

>> No.8259327

Nintendo didn't sell this to me when I was a kid, so they are shit.

>> No.8259378

It's a mix of trolls, autists and shills.

>> No.8259384

>>8259316
I think the idea you can't or shouldn't alter art is a very modern idea that has only really come about due to copyright laws anyway. People used to do this all the time, which is how you end up with different versions of folk tales or songs.

>> No.8259396

>>8259303
I tried out a super metroid romhack the other day and while it seems promising, it assumes a great deal of familiarity with the base game. as someone who played a single run 10 years ago I had to struggle to get up to speed with it, which seems like not the intended experience. must be a very niche audience when the assets you can add to an existing game are so limited; it doesn’t follow the template of what makes a typical game attractive to players.

sonic romhacks on the other hand are S-tier trashy entertainment.

>> No.8259431
File: 3.01 MB, 2353x2034, Capture.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8259303
I fucking love Randomizors, and fuck anyone who says they're bad. Currently playing a Link to the Past / Super Metroid combination randomizor, funnest shit ever. It's even more based when they also add options for the beeping in both games with some 10/10 sprite changes for both. Alucard from SoTN is playable in SM, but I'm currently playing as Justin Bailey

>> No.8259446

>>8259431
I'd kill for an option for the SM/Zelda Randomizer to always have a lamp for ALttP because christ almighty navigating dark zones without it is miserable

>> No.8259467
File: 704 KB, 2216x3562, 1400790092826.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Only no-fun allowed autists hate Rom hacks, some of the most fun I've had with retro vidya comes from breathing new life into games I love with new levels or challenges like randomizers >>8259431

>hurr muh original creator

Suck a dick nigger, I grew up with these games and love them. And you know what? I've played the everliving shit out of them. Good hacks extend longevity on them and its nice to get stuff to enjoy. Rather than breezing through a JRPG I've played a dozen times, add a hard mode hack that demands you get into more advanced strats and builds. Rather than replay SMW for the umpeenth time, try a new full-length hack with unique powerups, mechanics and graphics. Go full schizo mode with the ALLTP/SM hack.

tl;dr good hacks are a godsend and only sub 80 IQ faggots argue otherwise

>> No.8259480

>>8259431
>Link to the Past / Super Metroid combination randomizor

>https://samus.link/

Funky link.

>> No.8259549

>>8259480
it works though, and it is the link for the dual randomizor.

>> No.8259550

>>8259549
Yes, I know. I'm just saying it's nice that it's "Samus" and "Link".

>> No.8260541

>>8259467
I don't care for those autisitically hard Mario romhacks that demand pixel perfect accuracy and timing, which is what seem to end up being the most popular. I'll try some of those you have listed, though.

>> No.8260575

Extra Mario Bros is probably my favorite romhack ever and maybe my favorite NES game ever, perfect homage to the system.

>> No.8260637

>>8259324
yeah there's some sunk cost fallacy with people spending a pay cheque on hardware that can't play hacks

>> No.8260673 [DELETED] 

Rom hacks are illegal.

>> No.8260681 [DELETED] 

>>8260673
What are you, a fucking pig?

>> No.8260723

Romhack creators simply tend to just not be very good at making games or understanding what they're working with. SM64's hacks all tend to completely miss the appeal of the original game for example. I do like the ones that exist to fix bugs/balance and/or add QoL features a lot, but once again those tend to wind up with overstepped boundaries where the romhack creator decides to change/add gameplay aspects or content they shouldn't have touched at all.

Anyone who's inherently against them is an ebay shill though yeah. They have an appeal but I understand they're by and large not for me.

>> No.8260765

>>8259303
This is an example of a great one. It's simply the best version of the game.

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1032/

>> No.8260805

>>8259324
What are you talking about? Most hacks are playable on original hardware either with a flash cart or a custom cartridge. It's not 2004 anymore grandpa.

>> No.8260821

>>8260805
the ones that ASM code new features are usually only tested on emulators and often only work because of inaccurate emulation
hardware can play hacks that swap mario's graphic out for a cock, though.

>> No.8260836

I like them but most of them are 2hard4me

>> No.8260854

>>8260821
i dont know about every game, but SMW and SM64 both allow asm on real hardware

>> No.8260910

>>8260541
I'm in the same boat as you anon - Kaizo shit is awful and I don't get why its so popular. From the ones I've played on this list my favorite is Super Luigi World, defo recommend it. The level design is great and has tons of neat secrets and alternate exits and world map paths, it has tons of custom graphics and music, and difficulty is nicely even and very much in line with a regular Mario game.

>> No.8261082

>>8260821
that's interesting. emulation is sophisticated enough nowadays that only a handful of released games don't emulate properly, but that doesn't mean it works the other way around.

>> No.8261278 [DELETED] 

>>8260673
And you're a fat Amerimutt that will likely die from covid.

>> No.8261405

>>8259327
Based.

>> No.8261415

>>8259303
Because if im gonna waste my time playing a game, i rather do it with the original version released. If im gonna play anything from a fan, i rather it be something completely new using inspirations, not just a hack.

>> No.8262261

>>8261415
This is valid enough, but sometimes when replaying a game, fan-made QoL can help, like Super Metroid's control freak

>> No.8262829

>>8261415
>I don't play romhacks because I would rather not.
Great fucking insight anon.

>> No.8263123

>>8261415
then dont do it, the tantrum is not needed

>> No.8265639
File: 13 KB, 256x224, Map Option.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Hacks that amount to just tweaks or fixes can often be the very best version of a game, since they are just sharpening or polishing a classic. e.g translations, rebalances, QoL.

Hacks that become different games entirely are usually trash and appeal to people obsessed or nostalgic for a narrow selection of games. e.g. mashups, new campaigns, extreme overhauls. The reason these suck is because they are attempting to give new experiences rather than improve a classic, which would be better served by producing a new game in the first place with original assets and mechanics. It's like taking a nicely furnished bedroom and drastically rearranging the furniture for the sake of novelty, it will never be as coherent as the original arrangement which chose or produced assets freely; to drastically improve a room, you'd need to redesign it from scratch or at least add in much better assets than before.

tl;dr hacks like fixing cryptic aspects of Castlevania 2 just improve classics. hacks like mashing-up Zelda and Metroid, or new Sonic and Doom levels, at best are butcheries of games that obsessed people need to stop replaying, at worst they're "new" games that aren't new content.

>> No.8267524

>>8259303
ROM Hacks are in this weird area where half the people think of it as "wow they built this all out of an old game, that's cool" and the other half think "They're just messing with someone else's art, fuck that" It's like Vaporwave music.