[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 5 KB, 211x239, 1505545762190.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8211902 No.8211902 [Reply] [Original]

Bub & Bob (easier to find by the program name Bubbros, also not to be confused with Bubble Bobble which is the game it's based off of) is one of the only retro games I have a fondness for.
Unfortunately, like almost every retro game I have a fondness for, it faded into obscurity with little effort put into futureproofing.

However, effort *was* put into futureproofing it. The approach taken towards futureproofing was to allow the game to be run in many ways, such that if one way broke another way would probably work.
The upside of this is that there's probably a way to run this game that still works.
The downside of this is that is that it's beyond even my technical abilities, I only program as a hobby.

So, anyone able to offer a hand with this?
I can offer this piece of advice: There's an unreleased HTML5 version of the game that you can get by asking the guy who was last maintaining Bubbros. That might be workable, if you know what you're doing.

>> No.8211987
File: 28 KB, 642x507, bubbob.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8211902
Do you mean this port? http://bub-n-bros.sourceforge.net/
Never tried it myself, what's wrong with it?

The old 1.7.3 version works at least with BasiliskII (and possibly SheepShaver). I actually have it installed.

>> No.8212020
File: 28 KB, 841x298, Untitled.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8211987
>What's wrong with it?
Currently, this happens if I try to boot the server.
But in the past when I've been able to boot the server, the clients didn't work. The MS Windows client was the only one I recall being actually playable at all, but it crashed every 5 minutes or so.

I suppose I could emulate it, however the port is also a significant upgrade.

>> No.8212041

>>8212020
Yeah, looked into it and it seems like it hasn't been maintained since 2013. Could just be an outdated library problem with modern systems, but I'm not a programmer guy. Maybe someone with a bit of Python knowledge can look into it?

The emulated version doesn't run that great either. The music sounds a bit off. But it is playable.

>> No.8212112

Fuck off, wojak posting retard.

>> No.8212259
File: 168 KB, 1920x1200, bubbros.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8212020
I got it working on my PC and I'm running Window 10. All I did was unzip and run it, start whatever server and it just werks.